SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

No, the rating at the start of the broadcast was for the Broadcast as a whole. All Nintendo Directs start like that, usually showing a single Rating screen that encompasses all the games shown in it by showing a Rating range (like "ESRB E - M").

Also:

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/faq.aspx#16.5

So DLC can be rated higher than the actual game but obviously doesn't raise the game's rating by default (since the rating shouldn't change until you actually buy the DLC).

Yes, the initial Corrin trailer said "ESRB RP - T", but the one on the E-shop/Youtube says "RP - E10+".

Second tidbit is interesting, though.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the initial Corrin trailer said "ESRB RP - T", but the one on the E-shop/Youtube says "RP - E10+".

You're missing the point. The rating at the beginning of the broadcast was not exclusively for the Corrin trailer, but for the broadcast as a whole (note how the Bayonetta trailer during the broadcast has no rating notice). The broadcast shows game footage that isn't on the separate game trailers, which likely contributed to the T rating in the broadcast.

Also, I made an edit to my previous post while you were replying, you might want to check that out.

You're missing the point. The rating at the beginning of the broadcast was not exclusively for the Corrin trailer, but for the broadcast as a whole (note how the Bayonetta trailer during the broadcast has no rating notice). The broadcast shows game footage that isn't on the separate game trailers, which likely contributed to the T rating in the broadcast.

Also, I made an edit to my previous post while you were replying, you might want to check that out.

However, the Bayonetta trailer viewed outside of the direct still says "E10+" on it; nothing was shown in it that wasn't shown in the broadcast.

The total war shogun example was something I was throwing out off the top of my head; I see I was confused.

However, the Bayonetta trailer viewed outside of the direct still says "E10+" on it; nothing was shown in it that wasn't shown in the broadcast.

Yes there is. The separate Bayonetta trailer does not show any of the footage with Sakurai explaining Bayonetta's moves.

Edited by Jave

Yes there is. The separate Bayonetta trailer does not show any of the footage with Sakurai explaining Bayonetta's moves.

But all the moves are already shown in the trailer; you could glean everything "content"-wise from watching it.

But all the moves are already shown in the trailer; you could glean everything "content"-wise from watching it.

That's irrelevant. The point is that the footage is different.

My theory is that Nintendo is indeed planning a T rating for the Bayonetta DLC (hence the warning in the broadcast which notes the T rating is [key word] "Pending"), but there's nothing objectionable within the trailers themselves so those are still rated E10 (which is the game's current rating).

Yeah, it's done. But somehow I want that 58 to be 60. I'd be surprised if he did make 2 more. But I wouldn't get my hopes up.

It bugs me too honestly, not that I really want even more characters, but a nice even 60 would look nicer haha.

I really like this roster overall.

That's irrelevant. The point is that the footage is different.

My theory is that Nintendo is indeed planning a T rating for the Bayonetta DLC (hence the warning in the broadcast which notes the T rating is [key word] "Pending"), but there's nothing objectionable within the trailers themselves so those are still rated E10 (which is the game's current rating).

That doesn't make sense.

It was "RP-T". The T is obviously because FE14 was shown (as that's its rating). Considering how the Bayonetta trailer says E10 now, they probably hadn't gotten word back from the ESRB when they edited together the broadcast.

Really, I don't see what there is to argue about. Let's just wait and see.

I actually think an even 60 would look strange for roster formatting. You still have to factor in a Random button, but then you realize that there isn't probably a way to sort 4 rows into a hypothetical way. The Miis are all one spot, so there are 56 + Random right now. Two more characters would make 58 + Random. I think it could work if there were two Random buttons in a fashion similar to Melee though for four rows of 15.

This roster is flat out amazing. My most wanted were Lucina, Palutena, and Shulk before release, and I know I'm happy. In fact, I don't think there's a single newcomer I dislike.

Edited by Freyjadour

That doesn't make sense.

It was "RP-T". The T is obviously because FE14 was shown (as that's its rating). Considering how the Bayonetta trailer says E10 now, they probably hadn't gotten word back from the ESRB when they edited together the broadcast.

Really, I don't see what there is to argue about. Let's just wait and see.

It's not as obvious as you think, as the FE14 footage is also on the separate Corrin trailer and that one is fully rated E10, yet by your logic it should be rated T.

The part with "they probably didn't have word from the ESRB when they edited the broadcast" makes no sense whatsoever. The trailers were available literally as soon as the broadcast was over.

It's not as obvious as you think, as the FE14 footage is also on the separate Corrin trailer and that one is fully rated E10, yet by your logic it should be rated T.

The part with "they probably didn't have word from the ESRB when they edited the broadcast" makes no sense whatsoever. The trailers were available literally as soon as the broadcast was over.

The presentation was surely edited together in advance; either they got info back about Bayonetta's "rating" after they'd edited the Direct together and "business stuff" kept them from inserting things in or they goofed up somewhere with it/didn't bother in the Corrin trailer upload. Your logic of "somehow the trailer is E10 but something they showed in the presentation makes things T" has even less rhyme and reason to it.

The presentation was surely edited together in advance; either they got info back about Bayonetta's "rating" after they'd edited the Direct together and "business stuff" kept them from inserting things in or they goofed up somewhere with it/didn't bother in the Corrin trailer upload. Your logic of "somehow the trailer is E10 but something they showed in the presentation makes things T" has even less rhyme and reason to it.

Those are some pretty big assumptions you're making there. I mean, that's some HUGE behind-the-scenes stuff.

So I'll just stick with my theory. You didn't even bother to explain why it makes no sense.

Those are some pretty big assumptions you're making there. I mean, that's some HUGE behind-the-scenes stuff.

So I'll just stick with my theory. You didn't even bother to explain why it makes no sense.

I also said it could have just been a goof up and be nothing (which I consider the most likely).

I've already explained why it makes no sense; everything of note from the presentation concerning Bayonetta (moves, design) was shown in the trailer. Heck, the trailer has a butt shot if we really want to get down to it.

I also said it could have just been a goof up and be nothing (which I consider the most likely).

I've already explained why it makes no sense; everything of note from the presentation concerning Bayonetta (moves, design) was shown in the trailer. Heck, the trailer has a butt shot if we really want to get down to it.

I don't know. Trying to sum it all down to a goof-up seems incredibly far-fetched. You also think they would have fixed it by now, OR you can argue that the goof-up is at the beginning of the Bayo trailer.

Honestly, the butt shot is meaningless (there are already plenty of those in the base game). The reason I believe the Bayonetta DLC will be rated T is because Bayonetta uses real guns with actual bullets as part of her moveset and I have yet to see a game that uses that and is rated E10 or less. If there are, anyone please point them out, but bear in mind I'm not talking about "cartoony" stuff or explosives (ala Looney Tunes, which is what Duck Hunt's moveset is mostly based on).

The "RP-T" thing was probably for Fates. No, not Corrin's trailer, Fates. The game was specifically referenced in the broadcast. Bayonetta's games, while M rated, weren't so directly mentioned.

For the record:

No, the rating at the start of the broadcast was for the Broadcast as a whole. All Nintendo Directs start like that, usually showing a single Rating screen that encompasses all the games shown in it by showing a Rating range (like "ESRB E - M").

This supports the idea that it was for Fates, as Fates was the only other game actually talked about.

As for Corrin's trailer itself having the E10+, I imagine it's because that trailer doesn't mention Fates at all despite having a cutscene taken from it, so the only rating necessary was Smash's (it may help that these newcomer trailers are available in Smash itself, so it could be said that the whole trailer is from Smash).

And personally, I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would allow Smash's rating to be bumped up in any way after they seem to have gone to greater lengths to keep the rating below T. Bayonetta could have been considered a non-realizable character if she would up the rating.

I'm of the camp that feels that it was just a precaution just in case. They can't know how the ESRB would feel.

I do think that if anything it was for Fates. I thought maybe it was Geno's costume, but it obviously isn't now.

Bayonetta WILL push the game's rating to a T. Notice how the very first thing shown in the Smash Broadcast was a ESRB "Rating pending to T" notice.

That's because Fates wasn't rated yet and the Corrin trailer had the Fates footage to start it off with.

Edited by squid kid

It bugs me too honestly, not that I really want even more characters, but a nice even 60 would look nicer haha.

I really like this roster overall.

Yeah me too. But I figure they gotta save some characters for the next Smash game whenever they decide to make it.

Here's an column from Sakurai on how he chose the DLC fighters.

Courtesy of Source Gaming

Interesting to note is that Sakurai was concerned about increasing the number of Fire Emblem characters and Bayonetta was censored to keep the game's ratings at A (Japan's equivalent to the ESRB's E). Bayonetta 2 being Nintendo exclusive made negotiations very easy, which likely will play a factor in getting new third party characters down the road.

There were 1.8 million votes counted. Obvious repeats were removed. This is actually way less than I thought there'd be. Was expecting upwards of 3 million. Also I find this part interesting regarding DLC development time:

This batch of DLC fighters took more work than the fighters in the base game

It's nice he's acknowledging the effort put into these guys. I wonder how many of the base game fighters could have been made in the same time.

Edited by squid kid

Here's an column from Sakurai on how he chose the DLC fighters.

Courtesy of Source Gaming

Interesting to note is that Sakurai was concerned about increasing the number of Fire Emblem characters and Bayonetta was censored to keep the game's ratings at A (Japan's equivalent to the ESRB's E). Bayonetta 2 being Nintendo exclusive made negotiations very easy, which likely will play a factor in getting new third party characters down the road.

There were 1.8 million votes counted. Obvious repeats were removed. This is actually way less than I thought there'd be. Was expecting upwards of 3 million. Also I find this part interesting regarding DLC development time:

Aha so Fates was just dead on in the right place.