NFL 2013-2014 Season!

Anacybele

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, also, I forgot to mention, my prediction for the Steelers was totally accurate. I predicted a blowout and a Steeler victory, and that's pretty much what happened. So awesome. ^^

True, but Campbell only managed to put up three points total in more than two quarters. It would've still been a blowout anyway.

So, now all the Steelers need to do is get past the Ravens on Turkey Day and they'll be in a great position to get that sixth seed spot. I doubt it'll be another blowout though, the Ravens have just as much of a shot at it. These guys are going to battle it out hard for it, methinks.

Edited by Anacybele

Thursday night football is always ugly so I have no clue what to expect from here. At least we finally have a tight end and offensive line this Thursday (well Pitta may or may not come back we will see, Ray Rice isn't a good go-to receiver anymore, so the mismatch Pitta provides is always necessary). Plus, our defense is fiery and monstrous in Baltimore, look at the Green Bay game.

Anyway, Lions are still winning the division cause Green Bay and Minnesota just tied lol

Edited by Lord Raven

And the Steeler defense has been equally monstrous, both on the road AND at home. I predict a big competitive game, with it going down to the last play. The Steelers will really have to watch themselves and time everything well to get this win. Sanders came back today too, so that's good. We've got all our best guys (except Pouncey, but that hasn't really been an issue), Haley seems to be acting smart a lot for a change, and this team has proved that they can destroy people at home AND on the road. Hell, the guy that shut down AJ Green couldn't take Antonio Brown out of the picture. We're definitely going to need Brown for this one, he's our best receiver and one of the best we've ever had. He's only the fourth player in Steeler history to get 80 career receptions and he has the most in the league right now. And Ben's gonna need all his talent and strength and give it his all.

Oh, another thing the Steelers proved: they can easily convert 4th and 18s. Because they did so against the Browns. I think these guys are definitely going to be prepared for Thanksgiving. As one of my favorite anime protagonists would say, they need to feel the flow and high-five the skies! (kudos to anyone that can guess who I'm referring to. ;D)

Also, I had no idea a game could actually end in a tie. I always assumed that no matter what, there had to be a winner in every game. o.O

Edited by Anacybele

Rams and 49ers had a tie last year. If the game isn't decided in one overtime then it's over unless you're talking playoffs.

But nah, I have no clue how they beat the Lions (the Lions have been iffy as of late) but the Bills, Jets, and Browns have some pretty horrible offenses, same with the Raiders. Bills had a QB coming back from injury, Jets have no receivers and a rookie QB, and Brandon Weeden is an L magnet.

As for the offense, I'm not sure how that oline lasted through the Lions or the Ravens (I guess both are just really good home teams), but I don't know if you've ever seen the Ravens play defense @Baltimore this year. On the road they've had struggles, but at home they've dominated. It's almost night and day if you compare the game @Pittsburgh to the Green Bay@Baltimore, NYJ@Baltimore, Houston@Baltimore, etc games.

Oh, I see. And Baltimore being good at home is why I'm saying the Steelers will find this to be a challenge. But I still think it could go either way and be quite competitive. Like I said, it could very well go down to the last play.

So, who says Denver's D sucks ass again?

They never did is the weird thing, but they've had injuries to Wesley Woodyard (their MLB) and lots of injuries there in the first place, and the fact that Manning runs the offense at a really efficient pace doesn't help that defense rest.

They are actually phenomenal in Denver because the other team's offense can't rest either, and they're not used to the altitude.

Ben got AFC Offensive Player of the Month! GO BIG BEN! :D

EDIT: Also, this article sums up the Steelers' improvement over the season pretty nicely. I agree with everything. :) Although why Wheaton has not been used much at all is still beyond me. Surely a guy with Wallace-like speed and rookie status deserves more chances. >.>

Edited by Anacybele

Green Bay Packers @ Detroit Lions

Oakland Raiders @ Dallas Cowboys

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Baltimore Ravens - #ravensnation

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Carolina Panthers

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Cleveland Browns

Tennessee Titans @ Indianapolis Colts

Denver Broncos @ Kansas City Chiefs

Chicago Bears @ Minnesota Vikings

Miami Dolphins @ New York Jets

Arizona Cardinals @ Philadelphia Eagles

Atlanta Falcons @ Buffalo Bills

St. Louis Rams @ San Francisco 49ers - my upset of the week

New England Patriots @ Houston Texans

Cincinnati Bengals @ San Diego Chargers - i hope this pick is wrong

New York Giants @ Washington Redskins

New Orleans Saints @ Seattle Seahawks

I thought you said Weeden was an L-magnet, Lord Raven. lol He's still standing in for Campbell. :P

NFL.com predicts the Steelers to win today. Only one out of like six guys said the Ravens in that predictions article I saw. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it would be more even. Seriously. lol

Also, I hope your pick for Bengals vs Chargers is right, actually. Bengals are guaranteed a playoff spot at this point, but the Chargers are in the battle for that last AFC spot. Along with the Ravens and Steelers, ya know.

So... For the Steelers to have a great shot at that playoff spot, they need to beat the Ravens, the Dolphins have to lose (unfortunately...), the Chargers must lose, and the Titans must lose. The Raiders too, I think.

Also, I love this pic lol:

1441374_429236587176051_2045632094_n.jpg

Hey, a raven is a bird... XD

Edited by Anacybele

If Bengals drop 2 of their next 4, and Ravens win against the Steelers and beat 2 of the next 3 after that, then the division comes down to week 17. I'm surprised that they're picking the Steelers anyway, because Ravens defense is incredible@Baltimore.

The Browns are also going against the Jaguars... it's kind of a wash, but at least the Browns have a functional defense.

I won't lie, I'm a little nervous with the back string Matt Flynn starting out for the Packers today. Tolzein didn't really earn his spot on the field after their last game against Minnesota, but I don't think Flynn can coordinate a strong enough offensive line to balance out their recently-shit defence.

**Edit

It's not like Oakland knew what to do with Flynn anyway

Edited by The Protown SK

If Bengals drop 2 of their next 4, and Ravens win against the Steelers and beat 2 of the next 3 after that, then the division comes down to week 17. I'm surprised that they're picking the Steelers anyway, because Ravens defense is incredible@Baltimore.

The Browns are also going against the Jaguars... it's kind of a wash, but at least the Browns have a functional defense.

The Ravens don't have much of an offense right now though (Ray Rice is average, Flacco's been throwing interceptions, there's no run game, etc). And you said yourself that a good defense means squat if the offense stinks. :P The Browns had a top five defense and the Steelers still kicked their arses all over the field.

The Steelers, on the other hand, have a wicked offense right now AND a functioning defense. Ben's been pulling a lot of amazing stunts, Bell is the best RB we've had in a long time, Antonio Brown is one of the best receivers in the league atm, and Heath Miller is a tank. Sanders is also fast and doing pretty good in filling in for Wallace, Cotchery is one sneaky bastard after that TD he got in the Browns game. The defense has been consistently forcing turnovers lately and getting sacks. Troy Polamalu alone forced two fumbles in the last game and recovered one of them. Woodley was giving Flacco quite a hard time in the Steelers and Ravens' first meeting. The Steeler D was putting lots of pressure on him.

But the Ravens DO have home field advantage and their offense can't be quite as bad as the Browns' was. It'll be a tough game for both sides. But I feel the Steelers will wind up playing just a little better.

Edited by Anacybele

Our offense can definitely score more than 17 points a game, and our defense is capable of holding the other team to 17 points.

As for Ray Rice - he is not average this season. I'd appreciate the compliment, but him and Pierce are on pace for a historically terrible running game. All things considered, Flacco is playing okay given that he has no run game, no good checkdown options (Ray Rice is good for like 2 yards), and lots and lots of receivers running bad routes or undercutting routes 5 yards too early (which leads to said interceptions). At least the pass protection is getting better.

Anyway, Flacco's been playing better as of late because we don't keep trying with the run game, and our secondary shut down the actual one of the top 3-4 receiving corps in the NFL (read: better than pittsburgh) in an away game. As good as Sanders/Brown/Cotchery are, they don't hold a candle to Jeffery/Marshall/Bennett. To say Ben's been pulling amazing stunts lately is discounting the lack of competition in most of the games, too, considering the Lions have had tons of issues with turnovers against every team ever for the past month (though I have no clue how they beat the Cowboys despite having 5-6 turnovers, I guess it was by one point but still), the Jets really really really really REALLY suck on offense and their defense held Pittsburgh's offense to 19 points (not remarkable at all), and the Bills QB was in his first game starting after injury. Furthermore, the Ravens didn't fix their offensive gameplan by the time of the Pittsburgh game (and yes our offense is still remarkably inconsistent but Flacco had two huge bombs in the Jets game, and he threw at least 1-2 of those a game prior to that). Finally, the other team they beat were the Browns, who had to play Weeden and, as a result, their defense broke down because Weeden is probably the worst starting quarterback in the league right now and their defense is unable to rest. Very easy to burn such a defense.

Ravens have dealt with tougher offenses both at home and on the road (Packers w/ Aaron Rodgers is definitely a much much better offense than the Steelers) and held them to less than 20 points (Bears were held to 23 points). A lot of the issues in the Ravens-Steelers game would easily be solved by a defense that is quicker to respond to the Steelers offense, the difference between playing at home and playing away for the Ravens D is that at home, they wouldn't allow these awful 5-7 minute drives that mostly result in a field goal, and be able to give their offense one more possession to score. This Ravens defense held this Steelers offense to 19 points in Pittsburgh. I wouldn't feel too confident about either offense going into this game; one because they're dealing with a very aggressive defense, the other because they're dealing with an okay defense but have a below average offense as is.

tl;dr it's easy to get turnovers on very turnover prone teams. For reference, the Lions just threw like 2 interceptions and fumbled the ball like twice today, Jets offense has a very very negative turnover differential right now, EJ Manuel had been out for a month by that point in the game and their RBs aren't healthy, Terrelle Pryor hasn't thrown a TD pass in a month or two, and Weeden is fucking awful.

Well, I still feel that overall, the Steelers have a better offense than the Ravens. But we'll just see what happens tonight.

Also, my stepdad turned on Cowboys vs Raiders. That shit was not a fumble, his knee was down. The commentators even thought so. Terrible, TERRIBLE call. >_>

Edited by Anacybele