NFL 2013-2014 Season!

Anacybele

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flacco is good, he just needs to hold on to the ball a bit better. He had it a bit out there in that run. He's just lucky he could keep out of range of Vikings that could knock that thing right out of his hand.

watching 99% of qb's run the ball usually turns out to be hilarious.

Yeah, I won't deny that Ben's lost a few balls because he didn't hold onto it well enough either. You're probably right. lol

Also, I forgot to post earlier about something. Stuff like this is why Polamalu is the god of all football defenders:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000294179/WK-14-Can-t-Miss-Play-Air-Polamalu

HE FREAKING FLIES OVER PEOPLE TO REACH THE BALL OVER THE LINE. Just badass.

I'm never going to forget that almost-miracle at the end of the game though. If only Brown had a TEENSY bit more room in bounds. :(

Polamalu isn't a receiver. I said defenders. Anyone that watches that play should be able to tell he's defense. Receivers are more expected to be able to pull off stunts like that. I've seen them do it too. But defenders? Only Polamalu so far.

Also, I could say plenty of QBs have done what Flacco did in that run of his. Because I've seen it. Cam Newton, Ben, RG3, heck Tannehill did similar on Sunday too. I'm pretty sure these aren't the only ones as well.

Edited by Anacybele

^ Ed Reed is a defender. And it used to happen pretty frequently. Im surprised it was the 1st time you've seen it happen.

Its a shame you only see laterals done by defenders. I wish there was an offense that utilised the lateral more. Not just flea flickers and end arounds.

Polamalu isn't a receiver. I said defenders. Anyone that watches that play should be able to tell he's defense. Receivers are more expected to be able to pull off stunts like that. I've seen them do it too. But defenders? Only Polamalu so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d456j-J0nhA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d456j-J0nhA

Lots of Safeties tend to do stuff like this

Edited by Lord Raven

Well, I never said flying over people was the only thing that made Polamalu great. I said "stuff like this" remember? He's always been regarded as the best or one of the best safeties in the league. They say he and Ed Reed set a new standard for safeties, in fact.

Well Troy and Ed Reed play different types of safety and their strengths are different. Troy's strengths are blowing coverages to make plays that seem brilliant at times but at other times cause an open receiver to make a big play or cause an offsides. It just happens that announcers tend to emphasize the former more than the latter. Ed Reed has the fact that nobody would ever throw within 10-20 yards of him in fear of getting picked off, but he can't tackle at all. Both of them have had it a lot worse in recent years due to their age and injuries, and generally being slow, and Troy definitely plays more linebacker now than Strong Safety. Ed Reed's been cut and joined a new team twice, but he doesn't have the speed or range anymore. Neither have been particularly good this year at all (especially since it doesn't seem like Troy is playing Safety anymore), and last year they had major issues.

The greatest safeties of the present day are like Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, and Jairus Byrd anyway

Only positive is that I'm more hopefully towards the Pats@Ravens game. Negative is that we've lost a great tight end and the game is overall worse for it.

Both Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu could be future hall of famers, I'd say it's up for debate over the past decade between Reed, Polamalu, and Charles Woodson for who is the best Safety.

Ronnie Lott?

Yeah, Polamalu and Reed do have different strengths that make them as good as they are, you're right. Troy's gotten lots of picks in his day though, as well as tackles. He just has that issue of blowing it at times, as you say.

And I brought up the Pats because I know I'm not the only person in this thread that doesn't like them. :P

Who said I was happy? I'm happy that the Patriots shouldn't be as tough to beat anymore, but that's not the same as being happy about WHY. I wouldn't be GLAD if someone got hurt to the point where they're done for the season.

Who said I was happy? I'm happy that the Patriots shouldn't be as tough to beat anymore, but that's not the same as being happy about WHY. I wouldn't be GLAD if someone got hurt to the point where they're done for the season.

sure could've fooled me

Not like your going to play the pats for another four years.

Three, not including random playoff stuff and if somehow the Steelers and Pats are second place next year

And I don't know what's up with Gronk... dude can recover from anything and dominate, but he gets injured so often. He puts up ridiculous seasonal records even when he's on IR for half the season, but I hope he can get better because the dude is the perfect TE - not as athletic as Jimmy Graham, but he is still hell to cover. And he is an incredible blocker, which most TEs can't do.

Edited by Lord Raven

You can't they're both in the afc.

Not what I meant. I'm aware that the Steelers and Patriots are both AFC teams. I'm saying that I don't want to see the Patriots in the Super Bowl no matter who they'd be playing. I'd cheer for the Ravens before I cheer for them.

Edited by Anacybele

^ They cut Shaub too? As long as they make the right choice with their likely #1 pick the should be playoff contenders again within a year or 2.

On the topic of safeties, I hope the Bills pay Byrd what he deserves. He is too good to let go.

I hate the Pats and all their players but I feel kinda bad for Gronk. Does anyone else think he might retire after this? With all the drama earlier in the year with his family not wanting him to come back too early and now more injuries and surgeries I think retirement is a definite possibility for him.

Schaub is still a Texan and because Keenum is incredibly raw they're best off starting him.

There's nothing to really say about Kubiaks firing, they always have issues when Cushing goes down and they've won 3 games since it happened last year. Schaubs not the future anymore but his pick sixes can mostly be blamed on Kubiaks incredibly shitty playcalling where they run the SAME EXACT PLAYS all the time. Schaub got picked off on more or less the same play everytime. Basically depending on their faith in schaub, they may just take a QB in the first round. No idea who their coach would be, and while most scream for Lovie I doubt a rational team would take then because his offenses have proven to blow chunks every year.

Gronk won't retire anytime soon, they clearly need Chip Kelly-like health and nutrition. You know Eagles starters have missed like 12 games collectively? It doesn't help that gronk is also on one of the most injured teams this season.

Wasn't Darren Sharper one of the upper echelons of safeties in the past decade? I know be contributed heavily to the saints and the Packers during their Super Bowl years