• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Town MVP was probably Elie or Kirsche for being active and not having terrible reads. Mafia MVP probably Strege?

Oh yeah, the reason I got subbed out of Masquerade is because SB accidentally posted as Resolute in the mafia qt for this game.

And the reason I automatically jumped to Shinori lying instead of Tailor is because SB slipped (again) that Shinori was lying on D2, before Marth's lynch. Mods decided to let me keep playing because they didn't think it would make much of a difference, but I would have used that as a defence if people had attacked me for delaying the claimed Cop.

• 4 weeks later...

Pre-Postgame Setup Analysis

If I recall correctly, SB said that he was doing the player analysis part of postgame, so bug him about it. Not me :P

But before we get into that, let me give an explanation of the setup and what we were thinking.

SF drafters mafia was originally Cam's idea, he wanted to create a game where the roles were based on some of the members in the drafting community. He also said that he was too lazy to go anywhere with it, so I shared the idea with SB, recruited Cam, and did our best to make this thing work.

After the not-so-ideal games that were Folgore Rangers mafia and Group mafia (by the way, I will NOT be writing a postgame for this, I doubt it'll be of any use anyway), we revised the setup many times and asked Paper for a bit more advice than we did for Folgore Rangers. Some roles that had originally been in the setup but were thrown out or modified were the following:

-Cam, town vengeful treestump: had a choice between using a vengeful kill on a player of their choosing when lynched, or becoming a voteless treestump by posting a certain phrase in-thread while alive

-Elieson, town infantry drafter: the BBM role's delayer was originally a town role, and it was tied to Elie

-BBM, scum reverse recruitment drafter: forced a player's night action to act on that player (for example, if BBM targeted the vig, then the vig would end up shooting himself)

-Elieson, town dad: was a friendly townie for a significant amount of time, until Group mafia showed me that friendly townies with masons combined can clear too much people

-CR's role was originally town, and had 1 rolecop shot and 2 commuter shots

-Sharpy's role was originally a ninja godfather, before we realized that town had no cop anyway

-Horace's role was originally scum

-Shin's role originally did not win if he hammered Horace

-Refa's role originally did not have the voyeur and could kidnap every night, can't remember if the *YLO restriction was there

-SB's role was originally weak doctor

The idea for this setup was to force town to not be so reliant on investigation reports, hence the lack of a town cop and a ninja when the town's only investigative roles were tracker and watcher. Sharpy was supposed to be caught through scumhunting or interactions with his scum buddies, and not through investigation. The tracker (PKL) and the watcher (Jedi) could've caught Refa kidnapping someone. They could have also seen BBM delaying someone or CR rolecopping someone in case either of those roles tried to lie about night actions.

I think that town was strong enough to deal with this scum team. Integrity was a 2-shot vigilante (and he had 2 shots because we felt like it) who could shoot scummier players without having to waste a lynch on them. PKL and Jedi were the standard tracker and watcher. The SB role was a doctor, pretty necessary, and by removing the original "weak" modifier it prevented him from breaking the game (like in Awakening) or dying too soon. Cam, as the town vengeful, had the potential of hitting scum if he himself were lynched. Lucina and Darros were the masons and automatically cleared to each other and the town. Paperblade was a standard amnesiac, but had the potential to do some pretty interesting things. If scum used their janitor kill on someone and one of the scum claimed the janitored role, and Paperblade used his abilities to take the janitored player's role, he would get the role and know who was lying scum. (And yes, he could have taken the mason's ability as well.)

Elieson was a mayor that didn't deactivate in *YLO, unlike the variants I've seen in recent games. Justification for this was because this is apparently the main time a mayor's ability really matters. Gives town extra voting power as long as the mayor is alive. Boron was a courier, which can be useful in certain situations if the player knows what to say and who to get ahold of. Horace was deathproof, which would protect him from at least one form of death (except for a Shin shot, which will be discussed later), and nice to have in case he got hit by friendly fire (Integrity), NK'd by scum, or mislynched.

Both the Shin and Horace roles were always planned to exist in this game, and their "rivalry" was always a third party objective. I wanted a third party in this game, but I didn't want another anti-everyone third party (ITP arsonist lol) and regular survivors are rather boring. The Shin vs. Horace rivalry worked pretty well as a third party objective, because Shin couldn't joint with town or scum and merely surviving wouldn't help him win. He had to put some effort into finding his target. He always had one shot to take out Horace with that would kill him if he shot someone who was not Horace. The hammer thing was added right before the game started.

I don't think the setup was too bad, and I think it could've totally worked out fine. Just ... things didn't exactly go as we'd planned they would.

Putting multiple hooking abilities in the game (Camdar's masshook, White's 1-shot hook, Pink's hook, and Horita's hook) was pretty dumb, for starters, and I should've given scum an investigation role (and not a 1-shot investigation latched onto the most powerful scum who died first). But yeah, we tried to balance the roles around a bit better this game.

Edited by Sangyul