Would this game have been better if it wasn't a sequel?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I intentionally didn't bother with Sothe on my first hard mode playthrough. I might have used him if I was really stuck but for the most part I kept him out of all the fighting. Lost like 4 units in 3-13 but I still reckon it's more than possible to beat hard mode without touching Sothe at all.

Why isn't he bottom? I mean if he can't promote and everyone else in the game can doesn't that make him the worst combat wise? Is opening things not his only skill? Are there no keys in Fe9? Or is stealing really crucial? And can Volke not do all these things?

Edited by Jotari

Why isn't he bottom? I mean if he can't promote and everyone else in the game can doesn't that make him the worst combat wise? Is opening things not his only skill? Are there no keys in Fe9? Or is stealing really crucial? And can Volke not do all these things?

All very good points, further proving that Sothe sucks. In RD he's better than Heather I guess, but he has the weaker affinity and Heather isn't really anything to write home about anyway.

I like Heather purely because of her availability. She hopes on board early in part 2 already promoted and hangs around for pretty much the rest of the game. While Sothe is a prepromote in part 1 where he's most widely available so training him his left to very few chapters in part 3. But best of all she comes at the same time as disarm so stealing enemy weapons becomes a possibility. A good friendly support with a disarming Mia and its free weapons for everyone.

Edited by Jotari

Stealing and chest opening is better than bottom tier scrubs like Rolf and Lucia being outdone at their job by a lot more than one unit.

All very good points, further proving that Sothe sucks. In RD he's better than Heather I guess, but he has the weaker affinity and Heather isn't really anything to write home about anyway.

Because Heather and Sothe have tons to do with each other in RD. And yeah, affinity is hugely important in RD, especially since Sothe comes with an auto-A.

I remember when people thought RD Sothe sucked. Please don't bring those times back, because you seem to be implying something here. If you're not, well, I apologize for assuming.

Stealing and chest opening is better than bottom tier scrubs like Rolf and Lucia being outdone at their job by a lot more than one unit. Because Heather and Sothe have tons to do with each other in RD. And yeah, affinity is hugely important in RD, especially since Sothe comes with an auto-A.I remember when people thought RD Sothe sucked. Please don't bring those times back, because you seem to be implying something here. If you're not, well, I apologize for assuming.

You can RNG abuse/be blessed with stats. Affinities are constant.

Sothe's only disadvantage compared to Heather is that Sothe has a set promotion that is horribly late in the game. They both have bad combat as the game goes on due to knives sucking. Heather's "better" affinity is hard to take advantage of whereas Sothe's already at A-rank with Micaiah and even has Guard, so he can protect her better in those early game chapters where Sothe can actually tank things. Heather struggles in durability forever and is only a reliable dodgetank in Easy mode. Fire affinity means almost nothing for Whispers anyway, whose mastery knocks everything down to 1 HP anyway, regardless of MT.

I didn't actually know Sothe retreated in PoR instead of dying. I knew he had a backstory with loose ends that we later knew referred to Micaiah. As far as usefulness as a unit goes, he's inferior to Volke, but both of them are still pretty bad at combat anyway and sometimes it's not a bad idea to field two thieves, like in chapter 22.

You can RNG abuse/be blessed with stats. Affinities are constant.

1. Sothe and Heather have almost nothing to do with each other. They just share the same base class. They don't directly compete until part 4, and that's when you're better off not using them anyway. There's no point in comparing the two.

2. Sothe can largely do what makes him great at base level. Heather has problems denting enemies even with abuse/blessing.

3. Sothe's auto-A for +2 atk and +15 avoid negates any affinity advantage that might have existed for Heather.

I have not yet finshed the game ( just got to part 4) but i feel that the combat in this game is better thanks to the changes made to the support system. However, I would say that they did drop the ball on making the characters feel unique and interesting. I really miss the old base supports in path of radiance.

I have not yet finshed the game ( just got to part 4) but i feel that the combat in this game is better thanks to the changes made to the support system. However, I would say that they did drop the ball on making the characters feel unique and interesting. I really miss the old base supports in path of radiance.

Exactly. For gameplay, this system rocks. For story, well, that traditional aspect is taken away, but at least relationships were established in the previous game so it really doesn't matter. I think the core story really takes care of the rest just fine.

Stealing and chest opening is better than bottom tier scrubs like Rolf and Lucia being outdone at their job by a lot more than one unit.

I thought Lucia had one chapter of glory in 2-2?

better than Rolf's zero chapters

Basically, what I mean is would RD be better if the developers didn't put in PoR characters (that weren't directly involved with the Dawn Brigade) and instead focused on making more new characters and actually giving them personalities? This is mostly from a story/character perspective, although the DB definitely would benefit from more availability. (y'know, except for Sothe)

At the end of the day, I am fine with how this fire emblem game turned out. it sucks characters like Tormod, Vika, and Murium are literally unusable just about, but FE games typically give you far more characters than you ever need to use in the first place and I am fine with that. The biggest thing to me is merely the unbalancing of character showtime. I'm completely fine with pretty much the whole cast coming back and prefer it that way. I do wish some of them with newer characters did have more roles to play.

I was talking about PoR.

damn it you people arguing about FE9 in the FE10 forum -_-

At the end of the day, I am fine with how this fire emblem game turned out. it sucks characters like Tormod, Vika, and Murium are literally unusable just about, but FE games typically give you far more characters than you ever need to use in the first place and I am fine with that. The biggest thing to me is merely the unbalancing of character showtime. I'm completely fine with pretty much the whole cast coming back and prefer it that way. I do wish some of them with newer characters did have more roles to play.

well, those 3 are actually quite good for several chapters, which is more than like 2/3 of the cast

although I do agree, they didn't need to bring back all but one character from FE9