Yen'Fey's morality

Yen'Fey- is he good or evil. Was siding with Walhart to save his sister justified? My opinion is that he is a coward, too weak to do the right thing when it would affect his sister negatively.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well what would be the *right* thing he should do then?

your saying he must lead his country against walhart? he already lost his land and everyone of his fam. except his sis were killed by walhart's mooks,

you really don't have much a choice when someone that you really cared have their life on the risk.

Edited by Pukuriripo

Yen'Fey- is he good or evil. Was siding with Walhart to save his sister justified? My opinion is that he is a coward, too weak to do the right thing when it would affect his sister negatively.

Yen'Fay had his secrets, but he was definitely not a coward.The only thing I found strange is why he chose to fight when Chrom was trying to reason with him. Then again, with Excellus watching his every move, he probably had to keep up the charade to his end, or risk having Say'ri being killed. Yup, just like Itachi in a way (I dunno if your in to Naruto to know who he is)

He essentially made the ultimate sacrifice- Forsaking the one person that matters most to you, losing her respect only to protect her in the end.

A coward would've given up and let Say'Ri die. Yen'Fay endured a lot to protect his sister, despite losing his connection with her.

It's hardly heroic that Yen'Fey was going to kill Say'ri himself instead of letting Excullus kill her.

He actually planned to die by her blade and held back

Yen'fay: Say'ri... You have grown... so strong...

Say'ri: ...Do...do you mock me? I have seen your best swordplay...that was not it. You went easy on me...but why?

Yen'fay: What I could not tell you in life... I say with my death...

Say'ri: But, Yen'fay...

Yen'fay: You have found...strong comrades... I no longer need fear for you... ...I die...in peace...

Say'ri: Yen'fay, wait! What do you mean? Why?! Don't leave me with more silence—not this time! Yen'fay!

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Yen'fay

Which means that he deliberately sacrificed the lives of all the people of his own frigging army, the Ylissean army and really everyone in Valm (including his sister) just for the mere chance that she would end up killing him and having to live the rest of her live with the guilt of killing her own brother. What a paragon.

Edited by BrightBow

Which means that he deliberately sacrificed the lives of all the people of his own frigging army, the Ylissean army and really everyone in Valm (including his sister) just for the mere chance that she would end up killing him and having to live the rest of her live with the guilt of killing her own brother. What a paragon.

Nope. The army of Chron'Sin was already integrated into the Valmese army after it got conquered. Had he refused to become a general, Say'Ri would've been killed.

Even if Yen'Fay refused, do you truly think the situation would've been better? Say'Ri and Yen'Fay would most likely both be killed in an instant, while the Valmese army still conquered everything in sight.

Yen'Fay also did not plan to be killed by Say'Ri. The quote above is just what happens if Say'Ri lands the finishing blow. All Yen'Fay wanted was for Say'Ri to be safe/alive. His sacrifice/death allowed her to live.

Nope. The army of Chron'Sin was already integrated into the Valmese army after it got conquered. Had he refused to become a general, Say'Ri would've been killed.

Even if Yen'Fay refused, do you truly think the situation would've been better? Say'Ri and Yen'Fay would most likely both be killed in an instant, while the Valmese army still conquered everything in sight.

Yen'Fay also did not plan to be killed by Say'Ri. The quote above is just what happens if Say'Ri lands the finishing blow. All Yen'Fay wanted was for Say'Ri to be safe/alive. His sacrifice/death allowed her to live.

So you are saying that Yen'Fay had no power? The guy is supposedly so badass that he is the sole reason that the dynasties didn't turn on Wallhart immediately.

Edit:

Where did you get that background info anyway? Say'ri only introduced herself as Say'ri and said that her brother fights for Wallhart.

Then later we only learn that he leads an army rivaling the strength of Wallhart's.

Edited by BrightBow

Edit:

Where did you get that background info anyway? Say'ri only introduced herself as Say'ri and said that her brother fights for Wallhart.

Then later we only learn that he leads an army rivaling the strength of Wallhart's.

I got most of it from the Fire Emblem Wikia that was linked by someone else in this thread as well. Besides that I had Say'Ri deliver the final hit on Yen to see their conversation unfold.

Yen'fay was backed into a wall at this point. He lost his parents, he practically lost control of his country, his army was probably shaking their pants after Walhart's conquest of taking over Valm, what else could he do? If he refused, Say'ri would've been killed (just like in the original timeline) and he would've lived a life of grief and sadness and his army most likely would've switched sides like their usual nature dye to Walhart's influence and power. Either way, it's a lose-lose situation for Yen'fay.

A coward, maybe- but not for his original choice. His choice to join the Empire spared the life of his troops, and his sister. Pride is a tiny, insignificant, price to pay when compared to life.Although his choice did increase the speed of Walhart's conquest tremendously-- realize that by him not turning traitor in the original timeline, his force held off Walhart for YEARS-- this is why Walhart didn't crash the Yilssean/Plegian war party. His force joining with Walhart is why Walhart made landfall in Ferox much earlier in the altered timeline.

Stupid on the other hand? Definitely. His staunch silence was the death of him, and accomplished nothing. Say'ri's life was secured the moment Chrom arrived. I suppose, at that point- instead of standing up, now that his situation wasn't totally hopeless, his choice to fight Chrom's army -and die- made him a coward. It's incredibly dumb that he doesn't change sides when faced with Chrom. Seriously. He's dumber than Elidgan (who, despite being pretty awesome, is incredibly, incredibly stupid.) Sure Excellus may have posed a threat to Say'ri at one point in time, but after she joined with Chrom, he lost that power over her. (If Excellus could've killed Say'ri at that point, he would've. But he didn't which goes to show that he -can't-.)

If he flipped sides- his army surely would have followed. That's 2/3rds of Walhart's force done, right there: Steiger had fallen- the central army was no more, and if Yen'fay's army turned traitor to the Empire, Walhart's force wouldn't be able to hold, at all. With Yen'fay and the southern army changing sides, the remaining resistance members would've ignored Excellus- they'd have went back to fighting against the Empire. It'd only be a battle between this now massive force and Walhart's main force. And hell, with a smaller force, one sees what happens.

Yen'Fay had his secrets, but he was definitely not a coward.The only thing I found strange is why he chose to fight when Chrom was trying to reason with him. Then again, with Excellus watching his every move, he probably had to keep up the charade to his end, or risk having Say'ri being killed. Yup, just like Itachi in a way (I dunno if your in to Naruto to know who he is)

Yen'Fay did pretty much the same thing as Itachi, aside from killing his own people.

A coward, maybe- but not for his original choice. His choice to join the Empire spared the life of his troops, and his sister. Pride is a tiny, insignificant, price to pay when compared to life.Although his choice did increase the speed of Walhart's conquest tremendously-- realize that by him not turning traitor in the original timeline, his force held off Walhart for YEARS-- this is why Walhart didn't crash the Yilssean/Plegian war party. His force joining with Walhart is why Walhart made landfall in Ferox much earlier in the altered timeline.

Stupid on the other hand? Definitely. His staunch silence was the death of him, and accomplished nothing. Say'ri's life was secured the moment Chrom arrived. I suppose, at that point- instead of standing up, now that his situation wasn't totally hopeless, his choice to fight Chrom's army -and die- made him a coward. It's incredibly dumb that he doesn't change sides when faced with Chrom. Seriously. He's dumber than Elidgan (who, despite being pretty awesome, is incredibly, incredibly stupid.) Sure Excellus may have posed a threat to Say'ri at one point in time, but after she joined with Chrom, he lost that power over her. (If Excellus could've killed Say'ri at that point, he would've. But he didn't which goes to show that he -can't-.)

If he flipped sides- his army surely would have followed. That's 2/3rds of Walhart's force done, right there: Steiger had fallen- the central army was no more, and if Yen'fay's army turned traitor to the Empire, Walhart's force wouldn't be able to hold, at all. With Yen'fay and the southern army changing sides, the remaining resistance members would've ignored Excellus- they'd have went back to fighting against the Empire. It'd only be a battle between this now massive force and Walhart's main force. And hell, with a smaller force, one sees what happens.

I wouldn't say Yen'fay was stupid, it seemed like itwas more of a major trust issue. For one thing, no one from Valm really knew Chrom with the exception of Say'ri and a few resistance forces. Yen'fay didn't really know what to expect at that point. Everyone knows about the exalt before Emmeryn and how he was a extremely prejudice ruler and the word of Emmeryn's pacifist like actions were spread around, so Yen'fay wouldn't know what kind of person Chrom would be. If I was Yen'fay and I had to choose between the 3 exalts, it would be a tough contest, because the exalt before Emmeryn was cruel and ruthless and that's not really a type of person you trust another's life with. With Emmeryn, while she is selfless and kind, at the same time she wouldn't fight and retaliate against violence, so Say'ri's life would be gone right there and lastly, Chrom's actions aren't well known, so it would be hard to trust him with Say'ri's life.

Also, in a conversation with Chrom before they fight, Yen'fay explains to him it's not his life that he fears if he switches sides, but he fears his master, which would most likely be referencing to Excellus. He can teleport and instantly ambush Say'ri and kill her (although his true potential and power aren't exposed, so we don't actually know if he can, but Yen'fay can't risk that)

On the other hand, his actions and silence are not completely justified. For one thing, Yen'fay should've had a major consideration of switching sides, because if the various things Chrom did. Firstly, the army stopped hundreds of fleets invading Ylisse with only a limited supply of soldiers, they also defeated Walhart's best commander (presumably Cervantes) took over Fort Steiger and eluded Walhart himself and escaped a fortress that was surrounded. And even if the former actions if Chrom didn't reach Yen'fay's ears, the fact that his small army managed to make it nearly to the heart of Valm should've been proof enough that Chrom is a worthy commander. But I do still sympathize with Yen'fay's silence and the trust issues he may have developed.

Actually looking at this now, I think I may have contradicted myself. :P Also, someone's gotta be the Camus archetype.

I don't think he's a coward. He did it all to protect his sister. His sister's life was more important to him than anything else. That makes him a good brother, but a terrible king and general.

Funny story. It's Yen'Fay's birthday today (July 23rd)!

I don't think he's a coward. He did it all to protect his sister. His sister's life was more important to him than anything else. That makes him a good brother, but a terrible king and general.

Funny story. It's Yen'Fay's birthday today (July 23rd)!

Can't say his original decision in the altered timeline makes him a terrible king and general. Sure Walhart is brutal, and a tyrant, but at the same time- he was faced with annihilation. Opposing Walhart at the time of his decision only delays the inevitable, and gets his sister killed. By instead, allying with Walhart for the time being, he saves the lives of his sister, his people, and his army. Face it, your actual life matters a lot more than your way of life. And those actual lives were protected by his alliance.

On the other hand what does make him terrible on all three accounts, is that when he was faced with this elite group that has won consecutive battles against the empire- including taking down the entire central army, he kept his alliance to the empire instead of changing his allegiance.

Also, someone's gotta be the Camus archetype.

Walhart himself is a good one. >_>;; (In case you didn't notice the fact that he had the whole "honorable opponent" thing written all over him, and his intent on annihilating a much more potent threat (I.E. Grima and the Grimleal) justifies a lot of his actions. (Hell, had he not targeted Ferox (over say Plegia), I'd have supported him.))

Yen'fay just came off as a stupider Eldigan, with less lead up.

I wouldn't call him cowardly per se, but he admittedly wasn't that bright. But when your family is being threatened, what can you do? I know if my younger sister's life was in danger, I'd do anything to make sure she stays alive. When you don't have a lot of options, sometimes the only way forward is the dumb way. If you were Yen'fay, what would you have done?

Excellus implied, no, outright stated that he was a powerful spellcaster who could ambush and one-shot Say'ri any time he wished. Whether or not this was just his ego talking didn't matter, Yen'fay didn't want to take the risk.

Still, he should have contemplated if those threats were solid or not considering how well Excellus was actually doing against Ylisse and Co. Maybe word travels slower than we think.