QOTD Thread: The End

Interest

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New question!

So I've kind of been dancing around this question but I never directly asked it. For instance, I've asked about favorite movies specifically or other specific questions related to films. However, I've had a question I swear I asked but it's been sitting in my logs for an age, therefore...

What kind of movies do you like to watch? Do you watch similar movies as you read books? Perhaps you like something a little more "actiony," especially something directed by Micheal Bay.. You can choose to classify it as a genre if you wish but that isn't necessarily specific enough.

I personally like heist and/or thriller films. Inception does count, right? I guess I can also say i enjoy films with martial arts (dat Jackie Chan doe, but in actuality, Ip Man was probably one of my more favorites because the choreography is absolutely incredible).

Edited by Interest

Action/superhero. Preferably with lots of explosions. Look at Marvel Cinematic Universe and their treatment of cars. That's good stuff.

Wuxia as well. Less explosions, yes, but more fancy martial arts and stabbing. Love stabbing.

Comedy. Action. Science fiction. Crime thriller.

Horror films are less scary than they are funny or generally fucked up, so I can say I don't like them so much.

I saw the new Carrie film the other week, and thought it was more entertaining than scary or whatever it tried to be.

Me personally? Nothing, I wouldn't make any changes without consulting multiple people; the forums would be complete garbage if someone were allowed to do whatever they wanted with it, just look at some of the replies in this thread. Everyone has an ideal of how they "want" something to be, and if it doesn't conform to that ideal then they think there's something wrong with it.

SF's forums are fine and serve their purpose, it's the mainsite that I'd like to see some changes on (changes that are in progress!).

for my part, I said what I'd do, not what would be best

(and not that there's any proof that what anybody thinks is self-evidently proper forum management really is better)

Movies: anything whose creator puts a lot of themselves into it

exception: most horror

...I'm a bit odd in this respect, because it isn't so much that I have a preferred film genre as a preferred film style. In general, if it has epic setpieces, majestic or inspiring scenery or backdrops that get plenty of attention, and a generally atmospheric soundtrack, then I'll like it. This normally ties in with fantasy or sci-fi, but I've seen a few outside those genres that also match the criteria (e.g. Gladiator).

Honourable mention also goes to certain parts of the comedy genre as well. In particular, The Big Job, Clockwise, Rat Race, Monty Python's Life of Brian... and Monty Python's Holy Grail. Particularly that last one. All older ones; comedy today has generally moved away from my tastes.

i love movies. i watch a lot of things except for horror because most horror films are boring and predictable. i'm also trying to stray away from american rom-coms as most of them have become really cheesy and stale lately.

New question!

What is your weapon of choice? Perhaps you like using a classic sword and even own one, whether it is decorative or a "legit" one that can be used for "combat." Maybe you own a collection of firearms because of how much you like them. Maybe your weapon type doesn't exist in reality but instead in some fantasy, whether in fantasy novels, video games, movies, or a television show.

Regardless, I'm not talking about a specific weapon (unless for some reason a specific weapon is the only weapon of its type), but a class of weapons since something specific could already be the answer to an existing question. Not gonna force you to choose a weapon class though. Dual wielding is acceptable. You can even choose two different favored classes of weapons if you want to "dual wield."

As mentioned above, I would dual wield a very strange combination of weapons. A hand-and-a-half sword, or bastard sword/broadsword and a battleaxe or hatchet of sorts. I don't even care if it's ridiculously unbalanced. I just like that strange combination of weaponry for some reason.

If I had to choose a single weapon type though, I do rather like hand-and-a-half swords. Quite versatile but apparently hard as hell to use.

********Edit: I would like to clarify that I'm using Dungeons and Dragons weapon classifications for my answer.********* (A D&D bastard sword is longer than a longsword but smaller than a greatsword in terms of both girth and size, especially girth).

Edited by Interest