Fire Emblem: Brewing Conflicts, IC Thread

Tryhard

"Hm... it is as I feared. I've heard tales of rings like this, crafted by wicked black magic users, who cursed the ring bearer to suffer a great misfortunes, until a new owner carries their burden for them. Was the house..." he paused, he could only spew so much bullshit before having to catch his breath. "ravaged, by any chance?" If he played his cards just right, maybe he'd be able to snatch the ring from her, and she'd be none the wiser she'd been scammed.

"Um... it seemed like it was raided, I guess?" Helen was still pretty confused at what he was getting at. "Well, I'm just going to sell it anyways, no harm done. I'm pretty sure someone will think it's a pretty ring, right? I haven't worn it so I should be fine."

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Would you mind if I took a look at it first? It may be possible that I can use my magic to transfer the curse into another object." Perhaps a... more personal angle was needed. "You wouldn't risk handing off that ring to a poor, innocent couple and spelling doom for them, or their future children, would you?" He paused to let Helen mull over the apparent consequences of her actions. "I would return the ring soon after, the experience and knowledge I would gain from it could help me in the future, and you could fill your pockets with coin with no misgivings whatsoever. Does it sound like a deal?"

"Would you mind if I took a look at it first? It may be possible that I can use my magic to transfer the curse into another object." Perhaps a... more personal angle was needed. "You wouldn't risk handing off that ring to a poor, innocent couple and spelling doom for them, or their future children, would you?" He paused to let Helen mull over the apparent consequences of her actions. "I would return the ring soon after, the experience and knowledge I would gain from it could help me in the future, and you could fill your pockets with coin with no misgivings whatsoever. Does it sound like a deal?"

"Well, gosh... if you put it that way, it does sound pretty awful, sorry..." Helen said, she wondered how things got that way, but heck, it doesn't hurt to show him the thing. "Here, I don't really get what you mean with that black magic dazzle and whatnot, but if you have a good use for the thing, I'm up on your offer." She spoke, handing over the ring. Maybe he wasn't such a mean guy after all?

Having finished mulling it over, Ashok felt it necessary to converse with his new friends, as it were. He walked up to Helen and Calden, wanting to discuss the man's earlier comment.

"Since you've asked. yes, I have made up my mind. Who wouldn't want to see the world and explore, and get paid to do it? I could do without the fighting, but if that's the cost, I'm gladly pay it." He smiled at them, and sat down next to the two. "What are you fiddling with, anyway?" Ashok asked. "That looks like a magic ring, to me. Makes the wearer more powerful; I've seen a few in cargo I've shipped. It's so kind of you to give it to Calden, Helen! He's going to need all the power he can get if we're going to be doing any more fighting." He laughed a little, knowing the mage was already incredibly powerful, from the display he'd seen today.

Damn that soldier. Time to try and salvage the situation. "There's some foul magic cast on this ring, along with it's ability to empower the magic of it's user. I was planning on despelling the curse it and giving it back, as it's Helen's property now that she's found it, and she seems to be inclined to sell it. All the same though, we wouldn't want any tragedy to befall the poor soul who buys this thing, right?" He'd get him back later for this.

"That's incredibly nice of you! I've never heard of a cursed ring, but all the same, to do that for her..." Ashok smiled, surprised. "I'm glad we've got someone like you on our side. I don't suppose you'd know how much it'd fetch in market, after you remove whatever terrible magic it's got in it."

"Huh, wait a minute, magic ring eh? Huh..." With the intervention of the soldier, Helen's confusion just expanded. Just what was that all about? "I don't know, with all this talk of foul magic, I think I'm better off holding onto this ring and giving it to a priest for examination, you know, someone else that's experienced just to give a better luck in case it's dangerous. You don't need to go out of your way to do that for me."

"I'd be willing to take the risk, but if you'd feel more comfortable holding onto it, then I suppose it's your choice. I was just hoping to get some more experience in this sort of thing, it might help my business in future, you know?" Just don't take it to the bloody priest.

"I'd be willing to take the risk, but if you'd feel more comfortable holding onto it, then I suppose it's your choice. I was just hoping to get some more experience in this sort of thing, it might help my business in future, you know?" Just don't take it to the bloody priest.

Helen's habits took over her in such a situation where here instincts are needed, and an idea spurred. "Hmmm.... well, if you insist, I think I can trust you, buuuut~" She finished by bringing up a coin from her coin-purse, putting it on her thumb and closing her fist. "Never hurts to see what lady luck thinks of you! Heads, and I keep it."

Saying that, without taking a moment to hear protests, Helen flipped the coin. She caught it mid-air just as it started descending, putting it on the back of her other palm for all to see afterwards. Those who weren't a bit confused by her way of flipping a coin would notice it showed the 'tail side' of the coin.

"Well... it's your lucky day! I suppose I can trust your word, take it and learn from it~" Helen said, a bit disappointed with her recent luck, but she didn't have a real use for the ring anyways. Guess it's best to let him to his foul magic banishing thing. What a devoted guy.

"Well, yes! Who is in charge of chance but the ones above? Wouldn't you say so yourself?" Helen responded, with all this talk of banishing evil things, maybe she got a very wrong impression of the merchant. "Besides, it is always thrilling to see if the favors are on your side each day. Sometimes, you might need to be wary of taking more risks in the heat of battle!"

After some time had past, Daryl arrived back, and greeted the group.

XB2S15Y.gif"Well, the enemy leader did talk. He said that he was put up to this by a certain General Arris, and that the Cabarese army is moving north to reinforce Linlea."

XB2S15Y.gif"We could really use your help, it seems. Did you come to a consensus?"

Ashok left Calden and Helen with a small laugh, returning to where he was sitting before. He knew that Calden was being a bit suspicious, but it was truly a magic ring, and if they were going to be a group, the strength of their members was more important than some coin that Helen could fetch from selling it. They would be paid handsomely enough for their efforts, surely. Daryl came back soon enough, and Ashok was glad to speak for the group; no one had said anything against him saying it before.

"Although we're a bit apprehensive about it, sir, I'd say we're all up for it. You let us know where and when to head off and we'll be ready."

It felt good to say that, but he was still scared of what could happen. None of that thinking, there's adventure to be had! And as his answer had been given, he felt a wanting to get to know the others more. He'd spoken to Lenora earlier, and she seemed nice enough; Kris did as well. Perhaps he could talk to the man later, right now he was interested in the comment Lenora had made about Cabaria; he knew it wasn't the most pleasant place, but she seemed tied to it in some way.

"Hey there, Lenora," he said as he walked over to her, sitting nearby, "would you mind telling me more about yourself, maybe about Cabaria? I don't mean to pry; if you're not willing to, that's fine. I was just curious. It'd be nice to know about the person whose back I'm watching."

"Hmm? I can't really say I know a whole lot about Cabaria, myself... I made a point to get through it as quickly as possible... most of them tend to think that they are well and above people from other countries, so if you're a foreigner in Cabaria, you can expect to be treated like dirt most of the time." Lenora replied, as the lancer sat down next to her and began asking about her past. It would seem he had misinterpreted her early comments about Cabaria as her having some extensive knowledge about the place.

"As for myself, I was part of a tribe in the Southern plains... before Suyanna spread her Jotan clan across the whole of them, that is. Anyone who wasn't for her cause wasn't wanted, so anyone who didn't just defect once she rolled in was either killed or sent into hiding... I managed to get out of the plains, and passed through the desert and Cabaria before I got here... glad to see that Eslon, at the very least, isn't quite so bad." Lenora continued, a light sigh escaping her lips.

"You said you were left behind when the brigands started their raid, no? If I recall, it was mates from work? What's the story behind that?"

Ashok listened with intent as she spoke of the other lands, a bit surprised to be hearing about Suyanna instead of Cabaria. It seemed he had misunderstood her, but it was interesting to hear nonetheless. He was always for another story of another country, no matter how brief. And it seemed it was his turn to share about himself.

"The story behind that isn't very fantastic, I'm afraid. I was bored. I'd been a country boy my entire life, and I never did much outside my town. When the chance to sign up as a work man came, I jumped on it! What could be better than exploring new lands and meeting new people?" He spoke with wonder and growing excitement. "I always get to hear a new story or meet a new person and it's worth the work. It's not that bad for exercise either. Until today, it was the perfect job. But I guess I can't blame them for leaving; if I'd had the chance, I probably would've as well. Maybe when this is all done and over with I can go back to them, and work for a bit longer."

He'd realized how much he'd spoken, before laughing slightly awkwardly.

"Sorry about that, I tend to get a bit enthusiastic about things I like. But enough of that, you mentioned Suyanna, and I'd be more than happy to hear a new tale, if you're willing to share."

"There's not much to tell, really. She became the head of the Jotan tribe in the South plains, and eventually she laid a warpath all the way to the edge of the desert. Any tribe that didn't surrender to her was wiped off the map, and survivors struggled until they were caught and killed, or until they escaped the area under her control. Luckily, I fell under the latter." Lenora replied, with a dour look on her face.

"Do people really not know what went down up here? I suppose history is written by the victors, but you would think something so recent would have spread before it could be stamped out..."

"Well, I...do apologize if I've made you think of something you didn't want to." The look on her face wasn't a pleasant one, and he wished he hadn't asked. "I don't hear many things outside of what I've heard in my own travels, so I can't say I had. It's unfortunate to hear."

Their conversation had taken a more depressing turn, and Ashok wasn't having any of it. He'd come over to talk with her to learn of pleasant things, and perhaps to bring a smile on her face, not to drag up terrible memories!

"Never mind all of that. I've told you what I did for a living, perhaps you can tell me what your line of work is? You managed to get that lance out of the chest in the fort, so you've some skill with a lockpick. I'm sure your job is quite adventurous!" He brought out a bright smile, honestly interested in these sorts of things.

"Hmm? Oh, nothing like that. When your options are to find a way into the food storage, or not eat that day, if you don't learn how to jimmy a lock pretty quick, you don't last very long." Lenora replied with a light chuckle... did he really think that it was part of her profession to break into locks? Well, no matter, she supposed.

"I never really had a profession... things went to shit before I could ever really get one... guess the closest thing would be to call me a freedom fighter or a vigilante... I mean, I took some mercenary work along the way to cover my living expenses, but I wouldn't consider that my job... hopefully it doesn't have to become it."

Daryl responded to Ashok when he said that the group seemed to be fairly up for it.

XB2S15Y.gif"Alright. For those wishing to help me, I will see you in the morning. As of right now, I have preparations to set."

Daryl left.

Edited by Kelsper

In his second attempt to have a happy conversation he'd once again struck some sort of nerve, although seemingly not as bad. He wracked his brain, a bit frustrated at himself, wondering what he could say at this point. A though dawned on him.

"Well-- and this might be a bit rash --you're free to work with me once this is all over. Of course, I doubt I can provide you with a house, but extra hands, whether they be for carrying or for packing, are always welcome. No need to answer right now, or at all, really. The offer's just there in case you need some work."

He didn't actually know if she could, but he did know that that was the slogan they'd told him when he joined up. He saw no reason that it couldn't apply now! He did give a quick nod to Daryl as he'd walked in, and quickly left. Seems their plans were in stone, now.

"True," he said, Sophia joining their conversation, "but I can't sit by and not try to help someone who seems to need it, can I? If they're willing to do the work I'd be glad to offer a spot to anyone, really. She did ask me to watch her back, and I guess this counts, in a manner of speaking."

He laughed a little, wondering if he was being too overbearing. It wasn't the first time he'd gone far for a new acquaintance, and he doubted it'd be the last.

Kris had given a nod to Daryl about the offer of work, working for a military for a little while was going to be profitable. Certainly if something like war was actually on the horizon, it was certainly going to give more gold that acting as the guard for some caravan or clearing out a bandit camp.

Pocketing the gold he was given, Kris decided to take up the bartender on his offer of a drink. Most of the others seemed to be making friends and talking, he'd rather just relax and enjoy some liquor. Soldier boy seemed to be busy flirting with Lenora, and the pegasus knight was pawning something off to the mage.

Really soldier boy was a tad annoying, trying to take charge and seemingly thinking he had the voice for all of him. Maybe he was just too green, the guy seemed to be an okay fighter but when it came to the finer things Kris wouldn't say as much. Shrugging the thoughts off the mercenary just decided to focus on his drink for now, a hangover couldn't be afforded because of the job tomorrow, but a little bit wouldn't hurt.

Aiolos had been listening in the whole time. Daryl's proposition had been accepted, it looked like he'd be hanging around with these people for a while. The lanceman and the thief seemed to be getting along well, but he'd need to watch out for the mage. From his own thieving escapades, the conman in front of him was painfully obvious. Still, if you were stupid enough to give away your stuff, you probably didn't need it that much anyway.

"Well I'll certainly keep it in mind." Lenora noted, as Ashok began to speak to the others. He seemed an amiable enough fellow, but as she had decided earlier definitively green. Still, that type wasn't so bad to have by your side, so long as that shade of green was not such that would get in the way... hopefully he had enough restraint to prevent that...