On Archers, Snipers, and Hunters.

The Void

Well, after thinking about it, I see where somebody at IS has gone wrong when it comes to the those classes.

What is one thing that Archers/Snipers/Hunters like Jamke, Klein, Shinon, and reclassed Draug have in common? They can all hit hard enough at the points that you get them. Be it bases, skills, or forges, these characters differ from the likes of Wolt, Virion, etc.

Well, I sugggest that Archers/Snipers/Hunters be redesigned so that they are units who in exchange for frailness and being unable to attack at a certain range, they can do more damage than various non-magial units that you get, be it by giving playable Archers/Snipers/Hunters a higher amount of base str compared to other units, as well maybe giving bows the most Mt of all weapons that aren't axes or magical. You could tone down something if it comes to that.

Edited by The Void

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the fact that Cavalier Gordin loses skl, and gains like 2 spd,2 hp, and 1 def should tell you how I stupid Idiotic Systems really is

Granted bows are pretty amazing >_>

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

Although to be fair, I think Sniper bases are actually pretty hax. Plus Gordin has DAT BOW RANK and Spd growth.

Jamke had the right idea, but he was in the wrong FE.

Briggid, too. She had the Yewfelle, which is WTFAmazing, but when MOV matters in a game like FE4...yeah. Darn shame, too.

Edited by ZMeister

Considering that Virion has a negative speed base, I can't help but think that IS makes lv.1 archers shitty on purpose these days.

Still, even with good stats, I think EXP gain is a concern. There is of course the fact they not only do they not get enemy phase exp. But even without that, since the utility of archers are ranged attacks that can't be countered, they would logically the units used to weaken the enemy so that a melee fighter can finish them off safely. Naturally they won't get any exp that way.

So I would argue, they should also get increased EXP to make up for their lack of player phase.

And EXP should be shared among all units participating in taking down an opponent, like in Baldurs Gate or Pokemon.

And add some staff that makes Archers more handy to have around. Like the Zombie Dragons in Tear Ring Saga for example.

And to bows more useful by comparision, Javelins and Hand Axes should be unable to double attack.

Edited by BrightBow

Jamke had the right idea, but he was in the wrong FE.

Briggid, too. She had the Yewfelle, which is WTFAmazing, but when MOV matters in a game like FE4...yeah. Darn shame, too.

Leg Ring can fix that

The only legit Leg Ring user is Sigurd anyway

Thats all fine and dandy for a LTC run but who is stopping anyone from using it on someone else. Because Sigurd gets boring to use after awhile :P

If I don't pass it down to Leen it goes to Seliph because WHY DO YOU HAVE 5 MOV YOU ARE NOT AN ARMOR OR A MAGE (though once he promotes it usually goes to someone else, it just helps make an otherwise slow chapter less slow)

On topic, one idea I had is bringing back Pursuit as a class skill that only works on player phase, with Archer/Sniper being one of the classes that gets it. Even with average/above average speed it would help improve their chip and let them kill things easier.

Thats all fine and dandy for a LTC run but who is stopping anyone from using it on someone else. Because Sigurd gets boring to use after awhile :P

Sigurd will be dead by the time he's boring to use. :P

Chapter 1? Come now, Jedi. 50 kill silver sword.

But yeah, FE4 Gen II > FE4 Gen I in terms of units I like to use.

He's lucky to get that many with how sparingly I use him in casual runs from all the rush runs I did, I got burnt out on using him.

Reverse the Gen's and you got my opinion :P.

Also going to the topic, FE12 did the whole archer line best, FE6 also did them well enough. Klein, Igrene for the most part [sue and Shin also of course]. Wolt and Dorothy could be decent if you put the time to them as well and look at all those wyverns.

Edited by Folgore Red II

3b00d3f1a23600738ef56174cd655f32.png

ARDAN SHALL CHOKE THE POINT.

But generally, yeah, archers need not bad stats.

I always felt that most archers have had underwhelming bases, making them pretty much useless minus chip damage unless you baby them.

Then again, archers can be pretty useful for taking down wyvern knights or peg knights(although most units can handle peg knights), especially in a game such as FE6.

Regardless, archers definitely need a buff to their bases imo, namely strength as you mentioned.

I always felt that most archers have had underwhelming bases, making them pretty much useless minus chip damage unless you baby them.

Then again, archers can be pretty useful for taking down wyvern knights or peg knights(although most units can handle peg knights), especially in a game such as FE6.

Regardless, archers definitely need a buff to their bases imo, namely strength as you mentioned.

I always felt that arrows should pierce armor myself, due to the preciseness needed on a good shot you could probably get in between armor pieces. [i know from doing IRL Archery and such]. Even more effective damage along with a good str boost is what I personally feel. Maybe bump up the range to 2-3 with longbows being 2-4.

Edited by Folgore Red II

archers (irl) are not meant to engage in solo combat. they're supposed to just rain down a bunch of arrows. fire emblem is already taking liberties with introducing the concept of snipers.

Edited by dondon151