Association Football 2016-17: Força Chapecoense.

Parrhesia

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry i've not been paying much attention to the premier league with the prospect of the mighty australian a-league of australia coming up on the 10th October, now with sutton united legend jamie young sitting the bench for brisbane

Maybe Western Sydney will get to the final again and lose as tragically as ever

There's nothing tragic about it considering they've won a premiership and made two finals in their two-year history, and are only the second Australian club IIRC to make it to the ACL semi-finals.

I like Western Sydney from many standpoints, tbh. But fuck, the fans are a pack of cunts. And so is Santalab. But it's objectively been a massive success story.

Yer, the fans may suck, but at least they bring about plenty of noise in support of their team ^_^

PSG finally beat Barcelona. As much as I hate sheik and mogul owned teams, I kinda want PSG to reach the semifinals this season.

No thanks. Their team is ok, but i just dont like them in any way and would rather see them fail.

A-LEAGUE HYPE ALERT

lads there's a lot to look forward to

Reigning premiers and champions Brisbane Roar won't be as good now that massive cunt Besart Berisha has left, but given the sheer amount they were better than everyone else last year? They're a good shout to win again, particularly with the services of Sutton United legend Jamie Young on the bench every game. And that midfield of Luke 'You've Never Heard of Him But He's Actually Really Good' Brattan, Matt 'You Saw Him In The World Cup' McKay and Liam 'Cosmically Shit' Miller... they're gonna be good. again.

That said, Sydney FC have finally shot Alessandro del Piero and manager Frank Farina, and have signed a shitton of actually good centreforwards who aren't 39 years old. This is a rarity for us. Since we were amazingly shit last year (and still came 5th, makes you think), we won't have ACL games to rotate around, either. I genuinely think we'll win the Premiership, but I think Brisbane will sneak the Championship again.

Western Sydney Wanderers, officially East Asian champions as of two posts above and hopefully Asian champions full-stop soon, are really good even though their fans are absolute cunts. I don't think they've lost anyone important - haven't really brought in anyone, either, except some Serie B/Brazilian league journeyman called Vitor Saba.

Melbourne Victory will probably stop playing a 4-6-0, since they decided to buy a striker. Cuntiest man in football Kevin Muscat is still the manager, and between Berisha and ... I think some defenders, I think Victory will do pretty well.

Adelaide United are run by Shrek cosplayer Josep Gombau, former manager of Barcelona or something. In fact he's brought over a bunch of other Barcelona offshoots to help him. His team was spectacularly bad early on, but clicked into gear after around ten games. Cunningly, Gombau has sold his only good striker, so that'll be interesting.

Perth Glory actually look pretty good, having signed a bunch of players I don't know, and others that I do know are shit. A Championship-level striker with caps for Ireland will probably do well at this level, and they still have... uh... idk, there's really not much basis for me putting them 6th. But I believe. And, even better than a new signing, they murdered William Gallas, the worst player in the entire league. EDIT disregard they signed ruben fucking zadkovich

Central Coast Mariners are penniless and have a manager with no experience, their entire championship-winning squad left them like a jilted lover and then so did their old manager (now in Sydney), and then the striker they loaned to replace their entire championship-winning squad also went to Sydney. Also I don't think they have any players outside the salary cap, as opposed to the 'two' that basically every other team has. They're shit but they'll probably win anyway because that's just sort of what the Mariners do.

Melbourne City have David Villa for 10 games, who is slightly better than Michael Mifsud, who is literally the worst striker I've ever seen. Mifsud, who the commentators were literally openly laughing at. Mifsud is the A-League's Jozy, only nine years older. They've signed some other old people since Manchester City owns them, tried to get Lampard on loan but the FFA changed the rules just so they couldn't, and uh... well in an effort to appeal to their fans they haven't had a massive clearout, largely keeping with the squad they have. And the squad they had was fucking shit. Weren't allowed to wear sky blue because Sydney FC had a cry about another team actually sharing their colours, not even joking.

Wellington Phoenix are likable but shit (and from New Zealand) and I really can't see them doing well, at all. But I think they'll still come above...

Newcastle Jets, who came seventh last year and that was with the league's best striker, Adam Taggart (who you also saw in the World Cup #ALeaguePride). They sold him to Fulham. But they also donated Emile Heskey to charity, so it evens out. They'll be last.

kicks off in three days, i'm so fucking hype

Edited by Parrhesia

god damn, nice description Parrhesia.

Well, Villa started his run with a decent goal, and Victory bet Western Sydney. However, i dont think that the Wanderers were playing their best, as they're most likely preparing for the Asian Champions League final (i could be wrong tho). I like the look of this season already. I really hope they clinch the ACL, for them and for the country's rep.

Final's too far away for rotation - the issue was that Spiranovic was injured, Topor-Stanley was playing for Australia (as was Milligan for Melbourne), and since they'd released d'Apuzzo and Poljak it was a back four who'd basically never played together, and they got shat on. They're low on personnel in general - Nikita Rukvyatyskyiya's just been signed on though, so racist sharkface cunt Santalab won't be the backup for Juric anymore. Think their injuries should be fine in time for the first leg of the final, though.

Saw that match and !!!illegally streamed!!! Sydney vs. Melbourne City. City were way better in the first half but had shit finishing. We got a goal way against the run of play, and in celebration I named a house Corey Gameiro's Pad in Minecraft, a gesture I'm sure he is aware of and appreciated. Villa came on in the 60th, I think. Scored a great goal pretty quickly. Match was pretty even in the second half, but we were kind of lucky the best chance of the game fell to Mate 'Stormtrooper impressionist' Dugandzic.

Other matches

SBS lost their rights to a proper highlights show and it took me too long to notice so I largely missed Wellington 1-2 Perth (former Championship journeyman striker Keogh scored one. maybe two) in which apparently Wellington missed a whole host of chances. Adelaide beat Brisbane 2-1 - Michael Theo died, so Sutton United Legend Jamie Young started in goal. Apparently Adam Sarota also died. Bruce Djite who looked like utter shit last season scored a great goal and I don't know anything else that happened.

I want Melbourne to buy Santalab - they'll have him and Berisha up top and be managed by Kevin fucking Muscat, what a beautiful pack of utter cunts that would be, phwoarrrrr

edit oh and newcastle and central coast were headed to a 0-0 draw until mitch duke (... i think) scored a header in the 94th minute, I actually caught the goal in preparation to stream Sydney vs. City lol. Anyway, apparently Newcastle were surprisingly good overlal but Jonny NEW YORK RED BULL Steele had a mare.

Edited by Parrhesia

jesus fucking christ

But I'm still happy since a match I actually watched was amazing, the Sydney derby with a crowd of a bit over 40,000 which is a record for that stadium in any code, and we fucking. won.

For the sake of personal ease I'll post from the live feed on the Guardian;

19 min: GOAL! WANDERERS LEAD! And what a finish it is by Bridge, who swivels to meet a ball into the box after excellent wing play by Castelen, who made Gersbach look like the schoolboy he is!

24 min: GOAL! A SECOND FOR WANDERERS! It’s an absolute howler from Janjetovic who completely misjudges a horrible attempted clearance by Ognenovski, which soars high into the night sky. It comes down into a crowded six-yard box and under pressure Janjetovic only succeeds in turning the ball into his own net!

33 min: Hamill’s got a problem here. Actually he’s got two. One, he’s injured, and two, he’s got a problem with Ognenovski, who refuses to put the ball out. He’ll get over both.

34 min: One man who doesn’t seem to get over it too easily is Brendan Santalab, who has a nibble at Ognenovski and has his name taken for his misdemeanor. That was needless, and silly.

45+1min: GOAL! SYDNEY ARE BACK IN IT! Another fantastic goal! This time it’s Gameiro who keeps his cool to slot home, low into the far corner, after being set up brilliantly by a wonderful Alex Brosque back-heel that totally bamboozled the Wanderers defence!

49 min: GOAL! WE’RE BACK ON LEVEL TERMS! It’s quite possibly the scrappiest goal of all time, but those in sky blue won’t care, they all count. Initially it looks like Ognenovski who applies the decisive touch in a horrendous goalmouth scramble, the defender swivelling and prodding the tamest of shots at goal. But somehow it rolls all the way into the back of the net, which doesn’t exactly bulge on the ball’s entry! There’s a faint whiff of an own goal by Castelen, but that’ll get sorted out later.

51 min: Moments later and there’s a chance at the other end at Janjetovic nearly serves up a second catastrophic error, racing off his line like a headless chicken. He gets away with this one though as Bridge can’t find the empty net from distance.

56 min: Ibini sees yellow now as he upends Saba with a muscular challenge that sends the Brazilian to the floor. Free-kick to Wanderers and this could be dangerous, 25 yards out, fairly central... but it doesn’t turn out quite the way the visitors wanted - the ball is rolled all the way through to Janjetovic.

62 min: Covic is forced to punch clear on the next corner and it’s not long before Sydney win yet another. Petkovic comes across to take it as Ognenovski once again mixes things up in the box (he was booked earlier for getting rather too physical as he awaited a corner). Western Sydney survive and are finally able to take stock as they get a goal kick.

66 min: Saba delivers a free-kick into Sydney’s penalty area and once again Janjetovic fails to convince. Wanderers could do worse than just pepper the hosts’ box with long balls and see how they go.

67 min: Ognenovski goes mad at his team-mate Janjetovic for having the temerity to try to help the stricken Hamill, who is lying on the floor struggling with cramp! Janjetovic tries to explain, but Ognenovski’s having none of it – he’s got a scary look in his eyes.

69 min: RED CARD! SABA’S OFF! It’s all going off! Saba flies in with a dangerous challenge on Antonis and he can have no complaints as he is shown red! A melee ensues, but the remaining players manage to keep some kind of relative cool and avoid descending into a boxing match.

79min: GOAL! BROSQUE DOES GET HIS GOAL! And Sydney are ahead! It’s a great finish, nothing more than a toe-poke past Covic as the keeper comes off his line to narrow the angles, but it could well prove to be a killer touch! Cue wild celebrations, a mini-pitch invasion and… the Poznan by Wanderers fans. What a game!

83 min: SUBSTITUTION: Gameiro is taken off to a fine ovation from the locals and replaced by Ali Abbas. A goal and an assist, not a bad return for an evening’s work. As an aside, keep your eyes peeled for an Abbas-Santalab ‘coming together’. I wouldn’t put it past them, especially given the heated nature of his match.

(For context, Santalab racially abused Abbas in the last derby.)

89 min: Wanderers are down to nine men! Okay, that’s not quite as interesting as it first sounds – Santalab has hobbled off and because Tony Popovic has already made his three changes, Wanderers will have to make do with just nine for the closing moments. No confrontation with Abbas, then.

90+5 min: There goes the whistle (very faintly, so much so that some of the players don’t realise it’s over) and the curtain is brought down on a thrilling derby that pretty much had it all. This is why we love football.

Final thoughts

Over 40,000 fans, a record derby crowd, an electric atmosphere, five goals, a come-from-behind victory for the home side, a goalkeeping blunder, blood and thunder challenges, a red card, a pitch invasion… if you ask football fans what makes a memorable match, you wouldn’t be surprised to hear any of the above included in the answers. That really was fantastic, a great advert for the A-League, both at home and abroad. Sydney FC improve on last week’s solid start and go top of the ladder, for the time being, but for Wanderers, it’s three straight A-League defeats – the first time that has happened since their inception. Let’s just hope the loss does not hamper them in their Asian Champions League final too much. Time to draw breath. Phew. Thanks for joining me tonight, and until next time.

---------------------------------------------

In other A-League news, Adelaide 'Barcelona B' United vs. Melbourne '4-1 Wanderers' Victory was a fucking terrible game for 85 minutes because everyone kept fucking falling over like clowns before Adelaide scored a great goal and then both teams realised they had to actually score and Melbourne scored, well, a goal. Central Coast vs. Wellington was a fun one, Central Coast wearing hot pink for charity, Wellington winning thanks to a goal from a guy who left the Mariners in ... controversial circumstances. He was booed universally by the tiny crowd when he was subbed off, it was brilliant. Wellington won 2-1. Two matches still to play, so... we'll see, but Sutton United Legend Jamie Young will be starting again because Theo's still injured. Weirdly, the really good young goalkeeper they let go for Young just... got signed back up, for cover.

edit; footage of

CRUTCHES https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmtaRBHKH_E

(SMALL) PITCH INVASION

Edited by Parrhesia

KIEFER SUNDERLAND HAHAHA WHAT A SHIT TEAM

SOUTHAMPTON WITHOUT LIKE ALL OF THEM PLAYERS CRAPPED ALL OVER THEM BLACK CATS HAHAA

BALOLTELLI IS A PIECE OF SHIT

to be fair southampton are also the real deal this season in terms of results so far

but yeah 8-0 is dire

EEn1u7U.png

you're right, michael stein, 3 goals in 18 while fully fit for basically none of the season and 5 in 15 that probably kept us up is indeed not faring much better than 1 in 30, you're not wrong there, he says, sarcastically.

(fsr it really bothers me when people criticise Fletcher lol - he was dire at points last season too, but never that bad.)

Anyway, 2-2 away at West Brom, A Real Team is better than 4-0 to MK Dons. Well, better for United, anyway. I'm reluctantly forced to admit they might be making progress.

Edited by Parrhesia

To my knowledge the Altidore-Krkic league goals tally is still zero to none.

Also phwoar, love a bit of fire in the *checks notes* Canada derby