Association Football 2016-17: Força Chapecoense.

Parrhesia

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was a damned good match indeed, but being neglected a penalty at the first half and benzema being offside surely fucked schalke

also note how last year's ucl final got +5 minutes and this game got +3

• 2 weeks later...

I think Messi's going through a bad period now

two games without scoring he only cares about nutmegging people

is this the world's best player tsc tsc

hell yeah friendlies

Germany's B-team drew 2-2 with Australia's B-team in Kaiserslautern. Late equaliser, no joke, from Lukas Podolski. Is that his first goal all season? Still, I'll take that result. We're playing Macedonia next. Fun fact, the A-League plays through international breaks, so... um... that's something that should stop happening now that the A-League is actually good enough to have international players.

Meanwhile, the USA limped to a 3-2 defeat to Denmark. Bizarrely, Bendtner scored a hattrick and Josmer Volmy Altidore scored, well, a goal. Weird shit.

And there were probably some others. Most European nations seem to be using the international break to play a friendly first and a qualifier later, the good Asian ones haven't started qualifying yet.

hell yeah friendlies

Germany's B-team drew 2-2 with Australia's B-team in Kaiserslautern. Late equaliser, no joke, from Lukas Podolski. Is that his first goal all season? Still, I'll take that result. We're playing Macedonia next. Fun fact, the A-League plays through international breaks, so... um... that's something that should stop happening now that the A-League is actually good enough to have international players.

Meanwhile, the USA limped to a 3-2 defeat to Denmark. Bizarrely, Bendtner scored a hattrick and Josmer Volmy Altidore scored, well, a goal. Weird shit.

And there were probably some others. Most European nations seem to be using the international break to play a friendly first and a qualifier later, the good Asian ones haven't started qualifying yet.

Didn't help that we conceded yet another goal after the 80th minute. Two of them to be exact. We've been doing that a LOT since the World Cup, and it's got fans worried with the Gold Cup not too far away. Friendlies or not, if things don't turn around soon, Klinsmann's job could be on the line, particularly as we've only won twice in our last eleven matches.

Though personally, I'd wait until AFTER the Gold Cup to reassess Herr Klinsmann's position as manager, but if I'm him, I'd do something about that backline, one that has holes that could be seen from space. Teams like Mexico and Costa Rica have to be licking their chops for this summer in preparation for carving that mess apart.

Could be worse though, could be Honduras, who lost to French Guiana (who are a member of CONCACAF, but not FIFA), and are in danger of missing out on the Gold Cup.

Edited by Bullwine85

I mean, he recruited a shitton of people who have actually been developed as youths and didn't start playing professionally at 23, and got you out of a World Cup group in which you were by a moderate distance the worst team. Honestly, if he fired Altidore into the sun he'd probably be doing an even better job for you, but can't argue with those results, even if form has been poor.

So wait, from what I've heard the Gold Cup is one of two CONCACAF national team competitions? And the winners of them play off to decide who is actually the North/Central American champion? How does that work, and why is that ... a thing?

Edited by Parrhesia

I mean, he recruited a shitton of people who have actually been developed as youths and didn't start playing professionally at 23, and got you out of a World Cup group in which you were by a moderate distance the worst team. Honestly, if he fired Altidore into the sun he'd probably be doing an even better job for you, but can't argue with those results, even if form has been poor.

So wait, from what I've heard the Gold Cup is one of two CONCACAF national team competitions? And the winners of them play off to decide who is actually the North/Central American champion? How does that work, and why is that ... a thing?

Altidore actually does a LOT better for country than for club, it's an enigma. Say what you want about his terrihorriawfulbad stint for Sunderland, but he turns it on for his country

The Gold Cup is the only top level competition in CONCACAF, however, it's held every other year instead of every four years (similar to how the Africa Cup of Nations is every other year). It used to be that only the Gold Cup held the year after the World Cup got the Confed Cup berth. However, CONCACAF wanted every Gold Cup to mean something so that teams didn't send understrength squads to every other tournament, so they proposed a playoff between the two Gold Cup winners from 2013 and 2015 for the Confed Cup spot. If the US win the 2015 Gold Cup, there will be no playoff as they also won the 2013 Gold Cup

Edited by Bullwine85

Altidore actually does a LOT better for country than for club, it's an enigma. Say what you want about his terrihorriawfulbad stint for Sunderland, but he turns it on for his country

The Gold Cup is the only top level competition in CONCACAF, however, it's held every other year instead of every four years (similar to how the Africa Cup of Nations is every other year). It used to be that only the Gold Cup held the year after the World Cup got the Confed Cup berth. However, CONCACAF wanted every Gold Cup to mean something so that teams didn't send understrength squads to every other tournament, so they proposed a playoff between the two Gold Cup winners from 2013 and 2015 for the Confed Cup spot. If the US win the 2015 Gold Cup, there will be no playoff as they also won the 2013 Gold Cup

It's startling how he really just... he's like two seperate confidence strikers, depending on how good the opposition is. I can't think of any other striker with such a clearly-defined glass ceiling.

Cheers for the clarification. I'd be happy enough to see the US win, so hope to see you (or noted fully sick team Costa Rica) in the Confederations Cup.

It's startling how he really just... he's like two seperate confidence strikers, depending on how good the opposition is. I can't think of any other striker with such a clearly-defined glass ceiling.

Cheers for the clarification. I'd be happy enough to see the US win, so hope to see you (or noted fully sick team Costa Rica) in the Confederations Cup.

If we don't get into the Confed Cup, I'd be happy with seeing Not Mexico there ;)

big STEVIE FLETCHER scored a hat-trick for Scotland against noted big team Gibraltar today

(they also scored their first competitive goal against us, literally a part-time footballer who is also a policeman, god our defense is shite, but it's all good it ended 6-1)

Edited by Tryhard

big STEVIE FLETCHER scored a hat-trick for Scotland against noted big team Gibraltar today

(they also scored their first competitive goal against us, literally a part-time footballer who is also a policeman, god our defense is shite, but it's all good it ended 6-1)

You should see our defense. I mean we gave up a BENDTNER HAT TRICK this past Wednesday. That should tell you something.

Though Scotland are in better shape than they were a few years ago. I'm still convinced that if Strachan had taken over the Scotland job at the beginning of 2014 qualifying instead of midway through that cycle, Scotland may have booked their ticket to Brazil, or at least the qualifying playoffs anyway.

Noted Asian champions Australia, fresh off a 2-2 away draw with Germany they probably should have won (call up Bulut, Ange, please, Leckie is not a fucking striker) annihilated Macedonia, home of Melbourne Victory legend (well, player) Georgievski, a mighty 0-0 wait, shit. And we only got one shot on target.

Man, everyone who saw Mat Leckie in the World Cup was probably aware he was our best player, but he's been one of our worse ones ever since. He tries so hard and runs at people and creates chances but just has absolutely no final touch, and has scored once (against mighty Canada) in like 20, 21 caps. He'll come good eventually, but it's just kind of painful in the meantime. Fortunately Kerem Bulut, in between holding up fast food places, has netted five in five for the Wanderers and is probably a great long-term option if he can keep it up. Which is weird since he just sort of was great back in the day and then died and was shipped out to Turkey and was shit, but has been inexplicably incredible ever since coming back to straya to play for noted Asian Champions Western Sydney (who are shit, and second-last). With Taggart dead, Juric shit (and also dead) and Cahill being thousands of years old, it's only a matter of time until he steps back up.

I wish Australia had a striker somewhere in the prime of their career, but they're seriously all either 23 or 36. Like I cannot name an Australian striker at a standard higher than the A-League who is in his prime. Fuck, I can barely even name an Australian striker in the A-League in his prime. Now that we've found a strong defence, midfield, wingers and goalkeepers in depth, that's the one glaring weakness we have left.

A 1-1 draw with Switzerland in one of the strangest matches I've seen the US play.

Jozy being stupid (dissent got him sent off in the 68th minute), Bradley's lack of finishing, Brek Shea of all people scoring a great free kick.

Considering our recent form, I'm happy with the draw.

[spoiler=Brek Shea Pictures Below]

3f4zlMQ.jpg

6dd7d1f2b602c6505a640369ab499c83.png

Meanwhile, in A-League news (the greatest league in the world), HOLY SHIT IT IS TIGHT AS FUCK AT THE TOP.

3739e1a2e04e9abea8c6965d694a6f22.png

There's four matches left (five for Melbourne and Brisbane), and literally two points seperate the top five. It compensates for the fact that 6th (the last playoff spot) has basically already been won by Melbourne Heart despite them being shit. Note how fucking bad Newcastle is. Now, normally with poor results, the coach gets fired. Newcastle fired players. Carney (their one good player), Celeski, Gallaway, Griffiths (a club legend), Flores (a good player, but dumped while injured), Jeronimo (their... only good striker...) Jaliens (their centraback and captain) and Madaschi (their OTHER centreback) all got the axe. So did their goalkeeper, Birighitti - on the 30-man Australian squad for the World Cup, now loaned out to Serie B.

I love Newcastle Jets.

Edited by Parrhesia

So the leading team lost almost as games as the 6th place team that was 10 points less but won marginally more than the other top 4.

Huh how does that work

Anybody care about the CONCACAF champions league? Go Impact!

I wonder why MLS sides don't do so well in this competition.

Partly because MLS sides will sometimes not take it as seriously (sadly), partly because the first knockout stages happen at the beginning of the MLS season, and partly because the teams from Liga MX (and sometimes even the Costa Rican league) are simply just better.

Also, as far as MLS goes......DOOP.

Germany is trying to get Australian secrets of how to be better at football.

Really, though, it's no secret Australia's broadly been focused on physicality for long before this bloke Casserly came in - even though he's apparently very good at furthering that. It extends into the A-League as well, which is very physically intense. No surprise then that the best Australians of the generation are the likes of Leckie, who run so fast and powerful that he'd be world-class if he learned how to shoot, pass or cross. It's getting the best out of a nation that's found pure talent (besides Ryan and I guess Luongo) hard to find.

Germany is trying to get Australian secrets of how to be better at football.

Really, though, it's no secret Australia's broadly been focused on physicality for long before this bloke Casserly came in - even though he's apparently very good at furthering that. It extends into the A-League as well, which is very physically intense. No surprise then that the best Australians of the generation are the likes of Leckie, who run so fast and powerful that he'd be world-class if he learned how to shoot, pass or cross. It's getting the best out of a nation that's found pure talent (besides Ryan and I guess Luongo) hard to find.

Yeah, at just about any level of football in the country, strength and speed (but mainly strength) are favoured much more over skill or playing ability. Many people i talk to that play football say that there's nearly always a bias towards those with better fitness in terms of making teams. Most unfortunate really

Also, quarter finals of champion's league is in 2 days! The Madrid derby and Barca vs PSG in the first week, thats as good as it gets. would like to see PSG exit asap, seeing as they dont seem to pose any real threat to teams that play well and dont wait for the counter attack

Most unfortunate really

How so? It's the reason Australia's been successful in the first place!

Edited by Parrhesia

Wow, Bayern Munich had some of the sloppiest mistakes made by them ever. Almost pathetic control at the back, and completely unnecessary

Also, Suarez's second nutmeg was unreal. The legs were barely open and he still destroyed Luiz. That shit's career-ending humilation right there

How so? It's the reason Australia's been successful in the first place!

Because it discourages players from being technical, which can be better in many situations. Physical attiributes are good, but having technicality can be just as good if not better. Only favouring one of the two doesnt bring about the best in any team, unless you're talking about FIFA 15

USA repeats the Dos a Cero scoreline in a friendly last night vs. Mexico in San Antonio, with both squads comprised mostly of MLS and Liga MX players. Was a balanced first half, but was all USA in the 2nd half, with goals coming from Stanford University student Jordan Morris and New England Revolution's Juan Agudelo.

Considering it was our B team vs. Mexico's C/D squad, I'll only take it as a good confidence boost, especially with our form as of late.