Association Football 2016-17: Força Chapecoense.

Parrhesia

Arda Turan is joining Barcelona

Midfield with Rakitic, Mascherano and Turan supplying Messi, Neymar and Suarez

I'm moist

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gold Cup's happening in the USA. Costa Rica, Honduras, the USA and Mexico are all floundering, in their own ways... but their problems are nothing compared to Cuba. Two of the Cuban players (and I think their assistant manager) have literally defected during the tournament's group stage.

Edited by Parrhesia

Gold Cup's happening in the USA. Costa Rica, Honduras, the USA and Mexico are all floundering, in their own ways... but their problems are nothing compared to Cuba. Two of the Cuban players (and I think their assistant manager) have literally defected during the tournament's group stage.

It's more of a shock to NOT see Cubans defect during the Gold Cup at this point. Nearly every tournament people are always taking bets on how many Cubans will defect, as you always get one or two that do so every time the tournament is played. Not helping the Cubans is the fact that their national team (which, while a minnow, is a regular participant at the Gold Cup and usually makes the semifinal round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying every four years) is currently in some of its worst struggles, already eliminated from 2018 World Cup qualifying by a Patrick Kluivert coached Curacao.

Honduras already eliminated from the Gold Cup (though to be fair, they barely qualified as they needed a big 2nd leg comeback to qualify after they had lost 3-1 to FRENCH GUIANA, who is NOT A MEMBER OF FIFA btw, in the 1st leg), the USA and Mexico (for the most part) limping through their groups, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

Though we're not sure if it's because the USA and Mexico have been playing like crap, or if the rest of CONCACAF sans Cuba is playing well. I'd say both.

Edited by Bullwine85

Costa Rica's been garbage too! Everyone who qualified has like, scraped through (except the USA, who've still been terrible).

and cuba actually fucking made it through to the next round lmao

1-0 win over Guatemala was enough. Despite losing 6-0 and 2-0. And three defections.

And now they're gonna play the USA.

Fuck.

Also THE NEW PELE, FREDDY ADU has washed up in the second tier American league after failing to cope with even training in the Finnish league lmao - he's only 26.

Costa Rica's been garbage too! Everyone who qualified has like, scraped through (except the USA, who've still been terrible).

and cuba actually fucking made it through to the next round lmao

1-0 win over Guatemala was enough. Despite losing 6-0 and 2-0. And three defections.

And now they're gonna play the USA.

Fuck.

Also THE NEW PELE, FREDDY ADU has washed up in the second tier American league after failing to cope with even training in the Finnish league lmao - he's only 26.

At this rate, does ANYONE want to win the Gold Cup?

Oh, and Klinsmann? Please stop playing Chandler. He's terrihorriawfulbad. Ditto for Alvarado.

Oh Freddy Adu. At this rate we like to spin a globe and randomly point a spot on a map, while chuckling. That's where Adu will land.

USA 6-0 Cuba.

On one hand, we looked much better than we did in the group stage, scoring more goals this match than in all of our group games combined.

On the other hand, it was Cuba.

jamaica land of the smoke be kicking usa's butt by 2-0

of course the land of the free and home of the brave's gonna turn this shit 3-2

REGGAE BOYZZZZZZZZZZZ

Meanwhile... Gonzalo...

Addendum: Rio...

I will be the biggest Reggae Boyz fan on Sunday. Not only did they deserve to make the final, but I want to see them beat the ever loving pulp out of Mexico. (If I were a Panamanian or Costa Rican fan, I'd be furious as to how Mexico advanced in each of their knockout games. The only three goals they've scored in the knockout stages were from penalties, two of which were VERY questionable and either in the last 5 minutes or in extra time)

Edited by Bullwine85

• 1 month later...

So in case you all hadn't gotten the news, the de Gea-to-Real transfer fell through because Manchester United sent their paperwork in a PDF format and Real Madrid's staff allegedly didn't have Adobe Reader installed. Serves both clubs right for leaving it so long, I reckon. Madrid don't have their guy, United somehow have three unhappy goalkeepers and one Sergio Romero on their books. And no backup striker for the crashing and burning Rooney, except for a teenager (bought at a exorbitant fee) who managed a rate of one league goal in four in Ligue Un last season. Januzaj and Hernandez are out.

This has been such a great silly season.

Edited by Parrhesia

So in case you all hadn't gotten the news, the de Gea-to-Real transfer fell through because Manchester United sent their paperwork in a PDF format and Real Madrid's staff allegedly didn't have Adobe Reader installed.

t-this is satire, right?

Edited by Tryhard

I wasn't able to find any specific sources, but it's been referenced repeatedly on SA and on the Guardian minute-by-minute. It's probably true. And, hell, I want to believe.

I wasn't able to find any specific sources, but it's been referenced repeatedly on SA and on the Guardian minute-by-minute. It's probably true. And, hell, I want to believe.

If it is indeed true, it will be one of the silliest of silly seasons

The icing on this fecal cake - Real Madrid now owes De Gea 10 million euros (iirc). Why?

Well, Real Madrid PROMISED they would pay him if they couldn't sign him.

Such amateur management from one of the biggest clubs in the world.

lmao I didn't know that

This is beautiful. Between United, Arsenal and Chelsea all imploding in their little ways, City must be feeling pretty fucking confident now.

Crystal Palace, Swansea, and Leicester will drop out of the top 4 in due time, but the title race is basically over. Maybe if City has a bunch of injuries or start slacking to focus on the Champion's League, but I doubt it.

more interesting: will Mourinho last the season at Chelsea???

most interesting: Jozy Altidore has 10 goals in 19 games for Toronto FC. He scored two goals in his first game.

Crystal Palace, Swansea, and Leicester will drop out of the top 4 in due time, but the title race is basically over. Maybe if City has a bunch of injuries or start slacking to focus on the Champion's League, but I doubt it.

more interesting: will Mourinho last the season at Chelsea???

most interesting: Jozy Altidore has 10 goals in 19 games for Toronto FC. He scored two goals in his first game.

And yet he's still being outshone (apparently) by Sebastian Giovinco. Poor Jozy. Not even the best striker at his Canadian MLS team.

I like how this is the one point I respond to in an entire post mostly about the Premiership.

I dunno if City are going to walk the league, exactly, but if every team continues its current trajectory they will.

Also the sick A-League that nobody except me cares about begins next week. Melbourne Victory are massive cunts but also the best team in the league by miles, losing Milligan but gaining another midfielder who's too good for the A-League but couldn't get a job elsewhere. Oh, and they have the best goalkeeper in the league instead of one of the shakiest now, there's that too. That said, while they will be premiers, I have to back mighty swole Sydney FC to come second in the league and become champions via the playoffs. We'll miss Janko, but our midfield looks fucking terrifying. And we lost Ibini, who then died. This is a good thing.

Idk, I guess, like, Adelaide United? could come third but nobody really knows their manager who is just some Spanish bloke who was good at the football once. Asian champions Western Sydney Wanderers surely have to claw their way back to relevance this season, followed by a reasonably-tasty looking Wellington Phoenix, freshly bolstered by this guy Blake Powell who scored literally more than one a game in the second-tier for my hometown club. They should also have a new flag by then with the laser kiwi or whatever. Noted SF member Integrity's Perth Glory will scrape into the playoffs and then die because they're shit.

Out of the shit teams, Melbourne City are the least bad and just beat Wellington 5-1 and really the only reason they're down here is bias because fuck them. Newcastle Jets literally dissolved and reformed in the offseason, which speaks volumes as to Brisbane Roar, who are broke right now and just lost their best player because they didn't fucking pay him and Broich is dead instead of really good now and their manager is a fucking joke, which in term speaks volumes as to how bad the squad of the Central Coast Mariners is. Their strikers are some Irish 30-year old who was found in Hong Kong, a baby who couldn't cut it at some Premiership team's academy and was last seen in the Conference, and a 28-year old from the state leagues for whom this is his first full-time professional contract. They have shirts with palm tree designs on them. Google them. They will lose almost all their games. The bottom three will be staggeringly worse than everyone else, Victory are way better than everyone else and tbh on paper this is not going to be the best season of the A-League yet, but fuck it, it's all we've got and, hell, I love it.

Also Australia 19-0 Bangladesh starts in like 40 minutes, I'm psyched tbh

USA beat Peru 2-1 last night in an all around meh performance.

However, Jamaica lost 3-2 to Nicaragua in the first leg of their World Cup qualification tie, being down 3-0 at one point they halfway dug themselves out of a massive hole. However, if Nicaragua scores once at home, Jamaica is in trouble

Also, Austria and England could be the first teams to qualify for Euro 2016 today

That's true; Giovinco has 17 goals in 25 games. They have more than half our goals between the two of them.

I don't think that the current trajectories will hold; the top 4 will probably still be the same as last year in a different order (predicting City, Arsenal, Chelsea, United in that order). But I think Chelsea was probably the team most equipped to challenge City and they've dug themselves too large a hole. 8 points is a lot. Losing an away game to City is one thing, dropping 5 points to Swansea and Crystal Palace at home is another. If City doesn't lead wire to wire I'll be surprised.

City is being the far superior team. Not only they made some good signings, like Otamendi and De Bruyne, but their opponents made shit choices.

Arsenal? NO SIGNINGS

Liverpool? C-listers

Chelsea? Shit mode Falcao and a bunch of nobodies

ManUre was the only team who made good signings like Depay, Schweini and Schneiderlin, but they still are playing like shit

If City doesn't win this, it's gonna be a major choking. On the other hand if we get a darkhorse win, the EPL might not be as boring as it once was.

And in households all across America...

COf9FID.gif

Thankfully I'm neither.

That being said, the bandwagonry among Premier League teams is EXTREMELY annoying here.

Then again, I support Philadelphia Union in MLS. Combined with the US National Teams terrihorriawfulbad performances as of late, it leads to me drinking my sorrows away.

Credit to you for following an MLS team. God knows there's nothing more irritating than people who obsessively support Premiership teams (almost always top 6 ones, strangely) but won't lower themselves to watch the A-League.

Credit to you for following an MLS team. God knows there's nothing more irritating than people who obsessively support Premiership teams (almost always top 6 ones, strangely) but won't lower themselves to watch the A-League.

While I do have soft spots for plenty of European teams, MLS comes first, even if Philadelphia Union drive me to drink.

And it is frustrating over here as well, fans like them are often called "Eurosnobs", they'd rather support a team an ocean away than go to a professional match down the street. These are also the same types of fans that can't name a team outside the top 6 in England, think Bayern is Germany's only team, and can't name a team from Spain other than Real Madrid, Barcelona, or Atletico Madrid.

My state doesn't have an MLS team, but the closest team to me is Chicago Fire, and there is no way I'm supporting a Chicago sports team, funny how that works. Then again, I'd be wallowing in sorrow either way, as both teams are dumpster fires.