[US Only] Personal Information Listing

shadowofchaos

Tumblr post

I'm not sure if Serious Discussion is the proper place for this, but if it isn't, can a mod please move it?

It's about a site called spokeo, and how it uses other sources to gather information about you or your family members and lists it all for someone to access for measly pocket change.

I looked up a few friends and family members and safe to say I was not a happy camper.

It even had the address we had way back when we were in Hawaii.

Here's the video on how to remove your information:

Is this the part where we (collective we, not you and I) have a debate about privacy?

Possibly. I mean I did post it in Serious Discussion, not with that intention, but could be interpreted that way.

As in you could discuss why I reacted like so in regards to my family's privacy.

Shi-

That's really like...no different than what those hackers do. That's really something.

Edited by Dark_Huntress

You've got to be KIDDING me. My entire family is in this thing.

Although there's a lot of minor inconsistencies and things they didn't catch, that's still terrifying.

Edited by Vashiane

Did a search of my (relatively rare) last name. Quite proud to say that there's not too much on me. :P:

(this is why I don't put my RL social stuff online)

EDIT: Full name revealed the wrong e-mail address and home address.

Edited by eclipse

Ah thanks, it was good to know, even if most of my family thankfully hasn't shown up. I'll get my sister and other people I know to spread the word on tumblr as well.

Possibly. I mean I did post it in Serious Discussion, not with that intention, but could be interpreted that way.

As in you could discuss why I reacted like so in regards to my family's privacy.

Well, first things first, I thought this website was more well-known than this.

Not everyone who has purchased a home is on here though, I don't think. I was able to find my AP English teacher from high school (even showed him his own page with a group of my friends). He was uncomfortable about the whole thing, understandably so. However, I was not able to find my AP US History teacher.

I'm sure we all understand why you reacted the way you did. It's an understandable and logical reaction. It's alarming that people can find out this extremely private information so easily and cheaply.

I'll admit I think people take it too seriously, though. Most people aren't going to stalk you if given this information. Most people aren't going to do anything at all with your information. It's pretty much useless.

Like, what am I gonna do if I find out where Eclipse lives? Fly to her and say, "HERE I AM. IT'S ME, PHOENIX WRIGHT"? Nah man.

It's alarming, I agree. We do require our privacy, all of us, in one way or another. I just think this transparency isn't anywhere near as dangerous as people seem to think.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I didn't find any of my info on that site. With my rare first name, I'd know it for certain if I were. My brother doesn't exist either, whew.

Though I did find my parents there. Suffice to say, I was NOT a happy camper and I removed their stuff. I should tell my friends about this as well.

EDIT: Even if most people won't do anything with the info that can be found on that site, I still think it is a terrible idea. Like ... how many people actually consented to having their info so easily accessible like that? Not my family, and not me. Also, I think it's just safety issues and whatnot. Yeah, maybe I'm a paranoid freak, but better to be paranoid and be safe than to be sorry.

Edited by Sangyul

1) Most of this information is gathered through the public domain. I.E.: there's not much you can do about it other than campaign for far stricter data gathering protections.

2) It's not what I can find on some public site that scares me. It's what the government is gathering on me just because they can and there's no oversight.

3) Removing yourself from this one site literally does nothing. The information's still out there.

EDIT: Even if most people won't do anything with the info that can be found on that site, I still think it is a terrible idea. Like ... how many people actually consented to having their info so easily accessible like that? Not my family, and not me. Also, I think it's just safety issues and whatnot. Yeah, maybe I'm a paranoid freak, but better to be paranoid and be safe than to be sorry.

I could be wrong, but it's not necessarily illegal to collect this information and sell it.

Also, "contracts." I forget the term that I just learned a couple of days ago, but basically those terms that you either accept or go elsewhere. Feels much less like a negotiated contract and more like a "here's what we get from you" type of deal. Anyway, these websites collect your data and sell it. "If you're not paying for it, you're the product."

I could be wrong, but it's not necessarily illegal to collect this information and sell it.

Also, "contracts." I forget the term that I just learned a couple of days ago, but basically those terms that you either accept or go elsewhere. Feels much less like a negotiated contract and more like a "here's what we get from you" type of deal. Anyway, these websites collect your data and sell it. "If you're not paying for it, you're the product."

It still seems like a terrible idea.

Rage, I couldn't find any information about myself on the site. I must be too...secretive definetelynotunimportantitcan'tbethat.

I meant in the other sense. Either way, I'm not arguing this. People may put up their private info in public for some reason, but that doesn't mean they want it somewhere that can be easily accessed by the masses. What about people who only end up giving out their info for something SPECIFIC that forces them to use their real names, and expect it to STAY with that source, not splashed around on the Internet?

I meant in the other sense. Either way, I'm not arguing this. People may put up their private info in public for some reason, but that doesn't mean they want it somewhere that can be easily accessed by the masses. What about people who only end up giving out their info for something SPECIFIC that forces them to use their real names, and expect it to STAY with that source, not splashed around on the Internet?

Don't sign contracts that allow the free flow of your personal information?

I hate to tell ya, but there is no other sense. They're corporations and businesses. Entities that exist solely to make money. That's why they do it.