Nintendo announces the 2DS: a new member of the 3DS family

Quintessence

actually, now i think about it, i wonder how the 2DS is going to handle sleep mode. i mean, the obvious way of doing it with a DS or 3DS is through closing the device, but the tablet form of the 2DS prevents that. the most likely thing i can think of is there's a button or switch on it somewhere that facilitates it, but at the same time that's admittedly a slightly more awkward option and potentially prone to hitting accidentally during gameplay depending on its placement

considering how much StreetPass and SpotPass are emphasised, and how they aren't being cut from the 2DS, it would surprise me if they didn't implement a sleep mode solution to accommodate the form difference. i suppose we'll find out later on (or knowing me, already have and i missed it entirely)

I get the feeling it'll be something like the GBA. Have a button on the Home menu that turns sleep mode on, and then have a combination of buttons that would be hard to hit all at once be the combination to wake the system back up. Or, if you hit the power button once, it launches sleep mode instead of closing the software. But this is just speculation on my part.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can sort of understand the logic, but this seems awfully backward and like others in this thread said, that...design...>_>

Anyways...apparently brentalfloss decided to rant about it (this is pretty damn rare to have happen, lawl)

It's...amusing. It does make a couple good points though!

Saw an article on Eurogamer about some of the 2DS design. It has a sleep mode slider. Interestingly the system uses one very large screen that is simply sectioned off by the plastic casing, hence the slightly odd button placement.

This announcement is worse than 9/11.

This is like the third 3DS redesign within two years of its release

why do I still lack a 3DS library beyond AC and Fire Emblem and also I want SMTIV but I don't have the money

Dude. Not sure if these games are your thing, but

--KH 3D is the shit

--Mario Kart is the shit

--Mario and Luigi Dream Team IS AWESOME

--Super Mario 3D Land is the best platformer I've played since Mario Bros. on the NES.

I don't actually own Dream Team (demo is available on the eShop), and 3D Land got stolen from me, but I will defend to the death that those two games are extremely worth it.

------

On the business side of things, the 2DS will probably sell very well. It's ugly, but ergonomic. It's cheap. And now all age groups can safely use it.

My friend linked an article that had a really unflattering picture of the 2DS and I just thought, "Man. This thing looks so clunky..."

But then I see these gifs of it actually being held and it doesn't look bad at all!
I think it's pretty smart of Nintendo to have this option for people who want to play 3DS games but aren't necessarily fond of the 3D function (Or just want a cheaper alternative)

Also, it seems the stylus is back to the side. One of the things that slightly bothered me with the 3DS was the stylus placement xD;
Having it return to the back was kind of troublesome.

Edit:

Though I'm not really surprised by how much hate the 2DS is getting, I don't think what Nintendo did was bad per se. They're just trying to get more people to buy their handheld (Because who doesn't like a cheaper system?), which in turn gives those people access to their 3DS game library. It's not like Nintendo's completely halting 3DS production anyway, so the choice of what you want to get still boils down to the consumer.

Edited by pinkbubblegum

I saw this on another forum that I go to, so I may as well put my two cents on it.

It's fairly obvious that this was intended for kids.

No 3D Feature makes sense, since for one, it was pretty much a fad, and two, the 3D can potentially hurt a kid's eyes since they haven't developed enough.

The lack of hinges also makes sense because, chances are, a child is gonna open a 3DS too hurt, and then "SNAP!", there goes you're very expensive 3DS.

Regardless, I still find this to be kind of a dumb move by Nintendo. My reason for saying this is because well, They've been making their handhelds like this since what, 2006, I think? Why do this now of all times? :V

Though the lack of hinges makes a certain puzzle in Zelda: Phantom Hourglass impossible. :>.>

Edited by Goriya

I got to play with a 2DS today at PAX and I have to say, not only is it comfortable to hold, it doesn't look so bad in person either. It has a toggle that disables the system's ability to turn off during Sleep mode. However, with no wireless switch, the ability to turn off WiFi is buried in Hone menu settings. Still, I think this won't do too badly at all if they have people try out the unit and see for themselves.

My only problem with it aside from the name is just the idea of carrying this thing around. I could easily fit a DS/3DS in my pocket yet this I'm going to say would be a tight fit at best, it's a portable handheld console yet it kind of isn't all that portable unless you went out and bought a carry case or with a bag, but that's a needless hassle.

My only problem with it aside from the name is just the idea of carrying this thing around. I could easily fit a DS/3DS in my pocket yet this I'm going to say would be a tight fit at best, it's a portable handheld console yet it kind of isn't all that portable unless you went out and bought a carry case or with a bag, but that's a needless hassle.

I'll pay $40 for portability. Mono sound doesn't matter nearly as much as that, to me.

Edited by BlueFire

I saw this on another forum that I go to, so I may as well put my two cents on it.

It's fairly obvious that this was intended for kids.

No 3D Feature makes sense, since for one, it was pretty much a fad, and two, the 3D can potentially hurt a kid's eyes since they haven't developed enough.

The lack of hinges also makes sense because, chances are, a child is gonna open a 3DS too hurt, and then "SNAP!", there goes you're very expensive 3DS.

Regardless, I still find this to be kind of a dumb move by Nintendo. My reason for saying this is because well, They've been making their handhelds like this since what, 2006, I think? Why do this now of all times? :V

Though the lack of hinges makes a certain puzzle in Zelda: Phantom Hourglass impossible. :>.>

Well they've been using hinges actually since 2003 with the GBA SP.

But a major reason for the lack of hinges is that because they removed 3D, they were able to utilize a single larger screen(with a reduced cost as a result) separated by the plastic to function two screens, so it can be seen the lack of hinges to increase the systems durability(and allowing a more comfortable design with better weight distribution as I've seen on some hands on explanations) also allowed the cost to be reduced further by using the one screen.

Personally the 2DS actually seems like a really interesting product in terms of design for purpose, with the trade offs for lower cost and price point while still allowing improvements in terms of comfort and durability, especially in the case of it being a budget device compared to the normal "just make everything better/bigger at a higher price" of new devices. Overall it comes off as some really impressive engineering ingenuity from Nintendo to me.