Nintendo announces the 2DS: a new member of the 3DS family

Quintessence

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pretty cool. The lower price makes it great. I'm content with my 3DS but if I ever needed a second DS that could play 3Ds games I would totally get this over a 3DS. But the no clamp down is a shame. Limits its portability.

This is pretty cool. The lower price makes it great. I'm content with my 3DS but if I ever needed a second DS that could play 3Ds games I would totally get this over a 3DS. But the no clamp down is a shame. Limits its portability.

They'd make good frisbees.

My brother woke me up with this tidbit of info, it took him a few minutes to convince me it was legit.

I checked my messages to see Quint telling me about this, I thought he was trolling me

LOL

cut the Wii U price $50 more pls

But other than that, the price will attract at least some people, even though Nintendo's Youtube video is getting shelled A LOT of dislikes. xD

I saw that. I think it's like 65% dislikes or something, and there's also some people in the comments section saying stuff in capital letters whining about Nintendo products.

But there's always that one guy that comments on a Nintendo video...

'LOL WTF DID I JUST WATCH?!!!!11!! WTF NINTENDO, THIS IS WHY THE PS VITA IS BEATING THE 3DS, LOL.'

The nonsensical babblings of the insane...

I saw that. I think it's like 65% dislikes or something, and there's also some people in the comments section saying stuff in capital letters whining about Nintendo products.

But there's always that one guy that comments on a Nintendo video...

'LOL WTF DID I JUST WATCH?!!!!11!! WTF NINTENDO, THIS IS WHY THE PS VITA IS BEATING THE 3DS, LOL.'

The nonsensical babblings of the insane...

LOLOLOL WHAT

(the sad thing is the 2DS will outsell the Vita most likely)

(also how about the Wonderful Bomba)

edit: G6GfvBy.jpg

Edited by shadykid

I think it's great for kids, which is who it's designed for. They really focused on entry-level in the release. I don't mind the design. Reminds me of the old GBA. I would have preferred they somehow include Game Boy brand in there, like the GBS. I like my 3DS and actually use 3D occasionally so I won't be getting one. But I'm really excited about young kids getting a chance to play 3DS games. If the 3D was really a big deterrent, I'm all for it.

I think the branding might be a little fuzzy. The idea of parent going to the store to buy the 2DS, and then the employee having to tell them that there are no 2DS games but there are 3DS and DS games seems crazy to me.

The 2DS is very much within Nintendo's plans. They had the GB micro for the GBA, and they had the GB pocket for the original Game Boy. This new version serves a different purpose but I hope its successful.

A durability increase for kids, as a parent, seems more worth it's buck to me. My son (now 11) has gone through 3 DS lites and a DSi, all snapping the joints one way Or another. His PSP is in wonderful condition with a 2$ screen protector. You'd hafta jump on the PSP to break it, probably like the 2DS. IT'S A KIDS DEVICE, and from a parent's perspective, a fine idea.

Granted apple tablets and such offer similar design (with uniquely delicate design that requires costly equipment to prevent damage), but then again, apple doesn't have Pokemon et al.

I'm all for it, though I do feel bummed about the power button still being a button (not a slide like the other DS systems had, or a switch like the GBA.

Also, I'm far from a NINTENDO FANBOY OMG, but for my kids, I'm all for a system that doesn't pride itself on FPS and Horror/Survvor/zombie games. It sucks when it's bed time and one of my children "can't sleep because they're scared of <Insert game's cameo here>". In all practicality though, kids don't srsly think "OMG 3D LEMME BUY THAT SYSTEM!!¡!". They want fun games on an easy to use platform. And this is it.

The micro was niche. The GBA-SP was practical. The DSiXL was niche. The 2DS is practical. This is just a step in the right direction, because Nintendo could've instead churned out a crappy console for the new year. Instead they offered their games to a more diverse market.

Not to say that they need to chill on game dev, but third party game developers need to step it up.

Edited by Elieson

This was a perfect time to include the 2nd analog stick with all that room on the side... Oh well.

Personally I prefer the clam shell design. It keeps the screens safer and makes it more portable.

Oh and I enjoy being able to just shut the 3ds and go into Sleep Mode. Now I assume it will go back to "press and hold 3 buttons".

This was a perfect time to include the 2nd analog stick with all that room on the side... Oh well.

Personally I prefer the clam shell design. It keeps the screens safer and makes it more portable.

Not for the OG 3ds lol

Screen durability > join durability.

Just saiyan

My original 3DS is like the worst of both worlds. The hinge is wearing out AND the screen is scratched up due to the design when it closes. I wouldn't be surprised if much less delicate hands were to snap the thing apart, hence the plastic block look. I'd just invest in screen protectors for this thing lest it end up like the scratchfest that is my PSP.

I'd get it if someone sold a used 2DS for cheaper. As it is, I can pick up a used 3DS from amazon for around the same price as a new 2DS so I don't think getting a new one would be worth it, but I don't like 3D anyway, so if there's a good deal on it, I'd pick it up.

Nintendo is openning a blue ocean GOGOGO

Also, I like this, the design seems pretty weird at first but I like the idea of Nintendo grabbing more customers in this way. Perhaps they want little kids to get this along with kid-friendly games and develop sort of a loyalty to Nintendo, experience what gaming is in healthy ways, and, of course, want moar for the future.

actually, now i think about it, i wonder how the 2DS is going to handle sleep mode. i mean, the obvious way of doing it with a DS or 3DS is through closing the device, but the tablet form of the 2DS prevents that. the most likely thing i can think of is there's a button or switch on it somewhere that facilitates it, but at the same time that's admittedly a slightly more awkward option and potentially prone to hitting accidentally during gameplay depending on its placement

considering how much StreetPass and SpotPass are emphasised, and how they aren't being cut from the 2DS, it would surprise me if they didn't implement a sleep mode solution to accommodate the form difference. i suppose we'll find out later on (or knowing me, already have and i missed it entirely)