False ideas on what's good in FE that we used to have

Espinosa

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We went from thinking Arena Abuse was the perfect methods in a ranked tier list (I"t allows you to max everything except turns !") to LTC ("Only saving turns is important !").

Which leaded people to think prepromotes were useless (and obviously Jeigans, I won't discuss this again).

This made people believe Eda was better than Dean...

There was also alot of people who thought Lillina was the best unit of the game, then everyone said she was absolutely horrible, and now I don't really know how she is view.

There was also people who, while playing FE6, thought Sophia was like Nino, but as a Dark Mage (Nino is really good if you train her, Sophia is just... decent as best). You can imagine how decieved they were (Yeah, I was one of them...).

I also thought for whatever reasons that training the lords wasn't usefull, because they sucked. Not sure why...

BTW, these views aren't necessary wronger that what we have now. It's really important to remember that.

Also, we changed views because game changed. You don't play the same way with FE7, FE9, FE12, or FE13.

Hell, you don't even play the exact same way with the three GBA Games.

"Efficiency" is the St Graal of FE Gaming : countless men and women searched it continuously, but many failed among the way. Many others thought they found it, but they are in fact only living in their comfortable desillusion...

Tiering became far more "ellitist", among the way. Only efficient players look at them, and discuss them honnestly. I don't look at them anymore, because they absolutely doesn't speak to the casual players like me.

Truth is, if the others games follow the same way as FE13, Tier List will become more and more useless, excepted for a limited numbers of persons.

I wouldn't say it's become more 'elitist' so much as 'more exclusive'. With that exclusivity comes the exclusion of the non-elitists who care less about tiers and, as a result, the tiers seem MORE elitist than they were previously, even if they are actually 'less' simply because there aren't as many casuals.

Example. Say we took six tier people and gave them elitism scores of 1, 1, 1, 8, 8, 8. The 'average elitism' would be 4.5 'elitisms'. Now the tiers become more exclusive and the lower scores are removed, but the remaining 3 put in serious efforts to curb their elitism and end up with a 4, 5, 6. The average 'elitism' in the tier has gone UP despite the tierers becoming less elitist simply due to the leaving of the 'casuals'.

I wouldn't say it's become more 'elitist' so much as 'more exclusive'. With that exclusivity comes the exclusion of the non-elitists who care less about tiers and, as a result, the tiers seem MORE elitist than they were previously, even if they are actually 'less' simply because there aren't as many casuals.

Example. Say we took six tier people and gave them elitism scores of 1, 1, 1, 8, 8, 8. The 'average elitism' would be 4.5 'elitisms'. Now the tiers become more exclusive and the lower scores are removed, but the remaining 3 put in serious efforts to curb their elitism and end up with a 4, 5, 6. The average 'elitism' in the tier has gone UP despite the tierers becoming less elitist simply due to the leaving of the 'casuals'.

Well, I didn't find better terms at the time, but I agree that "exclusive" is more correct than "elitist".

the fuck are you talking about

elitism is not a quantifiable thing

In other news, this isn't the tiering philosophy thread. That thread exists for a reason. Complain about tiering elitism there.

To clarify: discussing ideas once used in tier lists is fine. Complaining about elitism and exclusivity in them is not.

Sophia is actually more useful than Nino in Unranked because getting Saul a Guiding Ring / finding desert treasure / dodging staves so that your actual staff users don't have to are more valuable contributions than being a tome user when none is needed and E staves being just embarrassing.

And yeah, the tier business has been pretty elitist with a lot of folks coming in just to show off large swollen testicles to fellow internet people and acting like a douche to some dork or master logician but our tiers are pretty much all dead so you don't have to worry about the whole thing anymore. There's probably no point in reviving the tier discussions, and that's one reason why they stay dead (main, I presume, being that the parties involved are sick of one another).

Shouldn't there be casual tier lists on GameFAQs though, or are people there only interested in grinding and marrying flat-chested lolis?

Hang on, you guys arent tiering anymore? I mean, like, i havent stuck my head in a tier thread in many moons, but i figured you lot were still at it in some shape or form. I guess thats why the Philosophy thread is there, but color me surprised. This is what i get for not paying attention. Bleh :P: I actually havent seen a newish tier thread in quite some time, now that i think about it.

Huh.

Could the fandom (at least this part of it) be moving on completely from tier lists and that being added to the old, crusty ideas? :blink: