False ideas on what's good in FE that we used to have

Espinosa

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of drafting: FE10 drafters used to not pick Soren until well into Round 5 until I showed what he can do. And there was a time where Nolan was picked over Edward and Jill :o

I've seen tier lists where Lehran was in Mid tier, despite likely being available for like 3 turns maximum. Something about not being around makes him average, so he should be in the most average tier.

Man that's just wonkass middle of the roading

Honestly though tiering based on availability totally skews a unit's worth, like oh Pent's only in 7 chapters or whatever but man if you're doing a playthrough of FE7 and not using Pent, what the hell is wrong with you

And yet even as recent as like 2011 or whatever you'd see Pent in above average tier as if he wasn't god incarnate or something, sitting around next to bozos like Lowen

"lightning speed" was pretty well fapped over, moreso than Rally Spectrum imo

yeah but Galeforce is actually most likely the 2nd best skill in the game in LTC/speedruns/drafts/whatever

On the subject of drafting: FE10 drafters used to not pick Soren until well into Round 5 until I showed what he can do. And there was a time where Nolan was picked over Edward and Jill :o

I get Jill, but why is Edward that much better than Nolan

Edward saves 1 more turn than Nolan in drafts.

EDIT: With the possibility of another turn that Nolan also can't replicate. But that one isnt guaranteed.

Edited by PKL

I think caring about supports in the GBA games is the best one to look back on, haha. It was always funny when people tried to hype up a +1 speed support like it would ever actually get somewhere.

And people thinking that Lethality was worth an Occult scroll in PoR.

And people thinking that Lethality was worth an Occult scroll in PoR.

Too be fair, the problem isn't Lethality (FE9 version at least) but that, aside from Lethality, Volke simply isn't good at combat due to having a cruddy weapon-type.

And Lute is still my favorite FE8 mage and second favorite FE mage behind Ilyana.

Too be fair, the problem isn't Lethality (FE9 version at least) but that, aside from Lethality, Volke simply isn't good at combat due to having a cruddy weapon-type.

And Lute is still my favorite FE8 mage and second favorite FE mage behind Ilyana.

True. Though even if you ignored that, you're looking at Volke only getting 25 crit at max in a game where the activation rate for Lethality is only crit/2.

True. Though even if you ignored that, you're looking at Volke only getting 25 crit at max in a game where the activation rate for Lethality is only crit/2.

I'm sure people could find ways around that, like Gamble, wrath, killer weapons (if he wasn't knife-restricted), and the like. But it simply isn't worth it on a unit whose maximum possible MT is 31. As-is even Mist can trounce him in melee combat (16 STR + 13 silver-sword MT + 5 forge + 5 Boyd/Mordi support = 39 MT). Which is kinda sad because Volke's stats are actually on par/better than Boyd's weapon limitation and cap aside.

Anyways, 'foot units automatically lose to mounted units'. More of a dictator-list thing that a concrete tier list, but FE10 showed this was untrue along with...

Mia sucks! I know some people will argue she's bad in FE9, but there is no denying her power in FE10 either. Though, as I recall, for a short-time after the game release she was considered low-tier (fliers were better for movement, Eddie and Zihark helped out the weaker team, Lucia dominated part 2, and Stefan required no work). Once again this was more of a dictator-list thing than a tier-list, along with FE9 Haar being better.

Aren't Lute and Artur right next to each other on the tier list

Or are we talking Saleh

The tier list dates back to several years ago (2010 iirc; dondon's warpskip tier list) and nobody cares to discuss it anymore.

If I tried to order the magical units (staffers/tome users who eventually become staffers), it would look something like this:

none

High

Saleh (Eirika)

Artur

Lute

Upper Mid

Moulder (he was terribly overestimated in dondon's list, probably because dondon had no time to staffspam with Saleh in 0% growths)

Natasha

Saleh (Ephraim)

Mid

-

Lower Mid

L'Arachel

Knoll (does anyone still think summoning is useful nowadays? I know I don't)

Low/Bottom

Ewan

Mia sucks! I know some people will argue she's bad in FE9, but there is no denying her power in FE10 either. Though, as I recall, for a short-time after the game release she was considered low-tier (fliers were better for movement, Eddie and Zihark helped out the weaker team, Lucia dominated part 2, and Stefan required no work). Once again this was more of a dictator-list thing than a tier-list, along with FE9 Haar being better.

FE9 Mia = saves a turn with bexp+shove. No mobility. No 1-2 range. FE10 Mia: Doesn't one round anything with any reliability, especially not at 1-2 range.

The "counterculture" phenomenon is also interesting especially since FE13 has Frederick (who does fall off), Donnel (who, with a little investment, does severely outclass most maingame characters statwise), and internal levels (early promotion will noticeably gimp maingame stats). This Jeigan/Est/etc stuff can be played around by actual strategy/tactics, but many other players who take that kind of "expert" advice blindly might have some issues.

I remember when Serra/Erk and even Mist got hype as combat units, Colm > Seth for a time, and FE10 Paladins/Fliers sucked. >_>

A lot of these things also go in cycles.

Titania is pitiful Jeigan -> is Titania tier -> doesn't fly

Edward has the god stats -> blocks axes with his face -> pretty nice, saves dem turns

There’s a few nitpicky points that have stood for a long time like Titania/Haar being the best of their respective games when it’s quite arguable (personally not completely convinced of the reliability of the other options though). I don’t think anyone actually cares to argue it though. Either one understands the underlying principles or doesn’t (or does and still doesn't care) and I think we’re no longer all young enough to rage incessantly about it.

And buyable Rescue is still underhyped. Not even mentioned yet, pfft

Edited by XeKr

now if Lethality was crit/2 in RD, Volke would've been pretty great for the few chapters you had him...!

I remember where Rescue staffs used to be disliked for not being Warp staffs on the Awakening board. Not the case now...!

imagine if Awakening also had Warp staves

DEM TURNCOUNTS