Tropes and Traditions You're Sick Of or Would Like To See More Of

Jotari

As long as dismounted units can use their primary weapon, I'm okay with that feature returning.

I mean really. It's so incredibly stupid that the knight who has been training with lances for so many years can't use a lance because he's not on a horse.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily. Mounted combat is incredibly different from unmounted combat. Very different factors are at work here.

If we're going by technicalities here, ignoring badly-named weapon type, a lance itself is a mounted weapon and works with the cavalry charge. Footsoldiers used spears. The weapon type itself really should've been called polearms.

To complain about naming, Troubadour is the worst offender of them all given the classes and the actual profession have nothing in common (and I think Troubadour is actually a male title despite being a female only class). Most annoying thing is that they (at least the localisation) know what a troubadour is given the fact that its mentioned in the right context in game. Anyway Lance sounds cooler than polearm and all realism aside having them use the same weapon type dismounted would just be smart in terms of gameplay as it means the same weapon ranks.

I find it hard to believe that they would only have trained for mounted combat and ignored the very real possibility of losing your horse.

Maybe they trained in another weaponry off horse? Going by technicalities again a lance is pretty much impossible to use off a horse to begin with.

I don't mind different if they 1)weren't all swords for everyone ever and 2)didn't have shit ranks. If they had an unmounted weapon that's different from their mounted weapon but with ranks similar to what they have for mounted, then it'd be cool. Took the entire game just to get Finn to hit C swords and that wasn't fun, but if say he had a respectable sword rank to start it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Lumi nicked the post I was going to make fuck

The name might sound cool, but lances are those things they use in jousts, they're fucking huge, and might not even have a real tip to them, so it's hard to put any real stopping power behind them on foot. If anybody actually tried to wave a lance around on foot, or without a lot of momentum in general, it'd be equivalent to trying to hit you with a nerf bat when they could be running you over with a truck.

I'll just cheat and call that naming niggle a trope I'm sick of

One frustrating thing about FEs is their backstories going on about legends (typically something like "Dragons and humans fought. There were these legendary warriors, and they had cool weapons".), if in part because through the game you never feel like you surpassed a legend like that, if in another part because we know IntSys will never actually make a game centered around said backstories, even if they'd be ripe for enhanced characterization.

As for something that'd actually affect gameplay, I think it'd be a bit neater if units weren't so rigidly defined by their class. This is particularly notable when spotpass characters in FE:Awakening don't have the same class they did in the FE game they were originally in, and thus their gameplay style changes drastically for it. If IntSys is gonna do that, why not let the likes of "Rogue", "Ranger", "Knight Lord", "Mage Knight", "Monk" and "Master Lord" return?

Ah, yes, that reminds me. If you can have a Lord die and not get a Game Over in FE:A, why the hell remove the "Lord" rank from Lords of previous FEs?

Maybe they trained in another weaponry off horse? Going by technicalities again a lance is pretty much impossible to use off a horse to begin with.

I don't mind different if they 1)weren't all swords for everyone ever and 2)didn't have shit ranks. If they had an unmounted weapon that's different from their mounted weapon but with ranks similar to what they have for mounted, then it'd be cool. Took the entire game just to get Finn to hit C swords and that wasn't fun, but if say he had a respectable sword rank to start it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

I realize that Lance is the incorrect term. I only continue to use it because the game does.

Anyway, it doesn't make any sense for them to not have trained with 'lances' both mounted and dismounted. Generic enemy soldiers and knights/generals can. And 'short lances' exist in Thracia 776. I presume those are specifically for unmounted combat with lances. Now it would have been interesting if dismounted units could only use certain types of lances like Short Lances but this too falls apart because again, Soldiers and Knights and other foot classes that use lances exist.

And then there's the fact that Finn can't use Swords as when mounted. Now I get why this is gameplay-wise but this only shows why being forced to switch to swords when dismounted makes zero sense story-wise.

And mounted axe user present a whole other problem. Setting aside the fact that axes are not the best weapons for real combat, unmounted axe users exist in large numbers. So why does Brighton have to switch to swords?

I don't think you're getting what I'm going at. I don't like that everyone went for swords either, and I'm not against them keeping their weapons (but neither am I against them using something else), but I feel that the premise of a unit having to know the same type of weapon mounted and unmounted, despite the large difference in fighting style, is unsound.

To complain about naming, Troubadour is the worst offender of them all given the classes and the actual profession have nothing in common (and I think Troubadour is actually a male title despite being a female only class). Most annoying thing is that they (at least the localisation) know what a troubadour is given the fact that its mentioned in the right context in game. Anyway Lance sounds cooler than polearm and all realism aside having them use the same weapon type dismounted would just be smart in terms of gameplay as it means the same weapon ranks.

According to Wikipedia, Trubadour is the male terms, and the female one is Trobairitz.

I vote give everyone characterisation including minor bosses and make them really good so people can go drown in some feels every time they kill a boss

Being more like Tactics Ogre ? Hell yeah !

So, you know, this Pirate you just killed ? He has a pregnant wife. And if you want your friend back, you'll have to kill him.

And these two random mages were great artists and intellectuals.

For the dancers, I'd prefer the "One refresh per unit per turns", like with the Cheerleaders in Disgaea 3 R.So you can't use only one unit, and 10 dancers to solo the map.

And I'd love a Dark Pegasus Walkyrie Jeigan

I realize that Lance is the incorrect term. I only continue to use it because the game does.

Anyway, it doesn't make any sense for them to not have trained with 'lances' both mounted and dismounted. Generic enemy soldiers and knights/generals can. And 'short lances' exist in Thracia 776. I presume those are specifically for unmounted combat with lances. Now it would have been interesting if dismounted units could only use certain types of lances like Short Lances but this too falls apart because again, Soldiers and Knights and other foot classes that use lances exist.

And then there's the fact that Finn can't use Swords as when mounted. Now I get why this is gameplay-wise but this only shows why being forced to switch to swords when dismounted makes zero sense story-wise.

And mounted axe user present a whole other problem. Setting aside the fact that axes are not the best weapons for real combat, unmounted axe users exist in large numbers. So why does Brighton have to switch to swords?

Not to knock your other points, but how do you figure the bolded?

Edited by Rehab

Well, I may have gone ahead of myself. I can't really produce any factual evidence that axes are noticably inferior. They're primarily tools, not weapons so it seemed that way. If anyone can produce any evidence, go ahead.

It would be nice to get access to dark magic earlier in the game, at around the same time as you get all of the other weapon types. It just doesn't make sense. And it's my favorite weapon type, too. :(

It would be nice to get access to dark magic earlier in the game, at around the same time as you get all of the other weapon types. It just doesn't make sense. And it's my favorite weapon type, too. :(

Dark Magic is usually wielded by enemies though in the same way that the enemy is more associated with Wyvern Riders than Peg. Knights. I'd still like them in the early-game though, since the Dark Mages I know (Lyon, Knoll, Tharja, Henry) are some of my favourite characters in the game.

I.S. could at least ease up on making a pegasus knight a possible love interest for the main lord. I don't mind that they do it once in a blue moon, but most lord x pegasus knight pairs aren't even that good. It doesn't really matter if the pair in question implied (like Chrom/Sumia) or just thrown in for shiggles (like Hector/either pegasus sister).

Seriously, I feel like the only good lord X pegasus knight pairs are Marth/Caeda, Seliph/Fee, Eliwood/Fiora, and Ephraim/Tana. It just seems to me that if there's only a few good pairs that are made on the grounds of tradition, why bother with tradition?

Dark Magic is usually wielded by enemies though in the same way that the enemy is more associated with Wyvern Riders than Peg. Knights. I'd still like them in the early-game though, since the Dark Mages I know (Lyon, Knoll, Tharja, Henry) are some of my favourite characters in the game.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily against the enemy having a lot if dark magic users/ wyvern riders, but it would still be nice to have dark magic available earlier on the game, especially for the sake of balance, and so that you would have more time with access to dark magic. And it would probably be nice to get wyvern riders earlier, too.

No more gender exclusive classes.

This. A thousand times. Male Pegasus Knights/Troubadours would be awesome, and so would Female Fighters/more male exclusive classes that I can't remember right now. Also votes for more playable male Manaketes. And while we're at it, can we stop giving characters sexist growths/bases? I mean, I think they're on their way to fixing this, but I'm kind of tired of the whole "female units get speed/skill and male units get strength/defense", especially in Awakening's Great Lord class because why do male and female Great Lords get different caps when the rest of the classes dont have gender differentiated caps omg

Not every single unit is like this, obviously, but a lot of the times, if two units of the opposite gender share a class, this ends up happening and I get kinda 8'C Yeah, they need to make the units different, but can't we swap the two every once in a while? Or maybe even put different stats together as combinations? Don't mind my rambling anymore.

But I guess Lucina can be an example of a female story important Lord that doesn't get kicked out of the spot by another Lord? Except she really doesn't come in until halfway through the story, but I feel like it's a step forward from Micaiah "I was supposed to be the Lord and then Ike came and stole all of my spotlight and Lyn "I'm only important in the Prologue and then get kicked to the side and I don't even get my own legendary weapon".

And also I personally dislike the "strong, reliable Lord main character" and the "soft spoken, kindhearted Pegasus Knight" love interest duo because I think it's boring.

Edited by Pieloswine

This. A thousand times. Male Pegasus Knights/Troubadours would be awesome, and so would Female Fighters/more male exclusive classes that I can't remember right now. Also votes for more playable male Manaketes. And while we're at it, can we stop giving characters sexist growths/bases? I mean, I think they're on their way to fixing this, but I'm kind of tired of the whole "female units get speed/skill and male units get strength/defense", especially in Awakening's Great Lord class because why do male and female Great Lords get different caps when the rest of the classes dont have gender differentiated caps omg

I hope modders/hackers at least get way from the sexist growths, caps etc. The male pegasus knight must have crap strength and exceptional over the top speed. The female fighter must have High HP, STR and DEF and garbage SPD and RES with high CON to compensate so her speed doesn't get any shittier.

i feel like we should have a fat slob in an fe cast. a gheb, basically. i swear, these fire emblem cast lists look like the developers tried way too hard to make the playable characters likeable.

And while we're at it, can we stop giving characters sexist growths/bases? I mean, I think they're on their way to fixing this, but I'm kind of tired of the whole "female units get speed/skill and male units get strength/defense", especially in Awakening's Great Lord class because why do male and female Great Lords get different caps when the rest of the classes dont have gender differentiated caps omg

because males aren't generally heavier than females, and variety in my video games sucks. and while we're at it, can we stop giving female characters boobs?

i feel like we should have a fat slob in an fe cast. a gheb, basically. i swear, these fire emblem cast lists look like the developers tried way too hard to make the playable characters likeable.

because males aren't generally heavier than females, and variety in my video games sucks. and while we're at it, can we stop giving female characters boobs?

I see your statement and I give you Lucina. :)

Gender-differentiated caps and statlines don't encourage variety it encourages stereotyping

Instead of characters who just vary by their bases and growths it pushes male and female characters into more rigid stereotypical statlines instead of having male and female characters having a whole combination of assets and flaws in relation to their base class based on individual character

Nobody sensible is saying you shouldn't have female characters that are fast and male characters that are strong just it not be /always/ the case

I mean for an IRL example my friend and I are both martial artists, he's about 5-6 inches taller, but I'm about 5-10lbs heavier and visibly more muscular and have more punching power as well

In FE terms I should have the higher strength stat here

The only requirement to be woman is if you identify as a woman

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze