Tropes and Traditions You're Sick Of or Would Like To See More Of

Jotari

One bizarre idea I had for a "more grimdark than Seisen" style FE game would be one where the 2nd gen goes up against the 1st gen, and perhaps there'd be a bit of ambiguity over who's the protagonist and who's the antagonist.

I would loooooove that idea about Gen 2 going up against Gen 1 for real. It would take that whole "failed heroes as villains" thing that FE4 had goin' on to a whole 'nother level.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because IS was hit with shot of stupid and didn't add Light Magic in FE13.

From what little I know, the previous Arachanea games (Fire Emblem 1, 3, BSFE, and the remakes) never had any light magic or magic triangle. The closest equivalent to light was the StarLight spell, which was a unique holy item.

Of course, Ylissea takes place a few thousand years (IIRC) after the Arachanea games and has access to the outrealm gates, so how no one ended up bringing Light Magic over from another world or developing it as time went on - to help counter Dark Magic - is a bit. . . baffling.

Back to the topic at hand, I think I've posted this before, but I'd like to see Ally units stop being useless, and please stop pulling the "We're the bad guy army, so we'll just let these bandits loot occupied cities that WE control. Becaz 4 the evulz."

The way NPC units are handled could be. . . well, they have potential for both cinematic and actual gameplay, but that's a very broad topic.

In a tutorial, for example, the player could be playing as the Lord during his childhood. He has been brought by his father to a skirmish to watch and learn how his father commands an army. During the battle, the majority of the fighting is your father's command versus the enemy's command, but then to give you a taste of a real battle, he hands you the command of a small group of soldiers on a "wing" of the battlefield. Here, the player can get their feet wet with actively commanding troops while the majority of green reinforcements battle across the map, leaving the player with softer enemies to fight. . . this is a very spur of the moment idea.

Edit:

I really want multiple factions, or something to that effect. Something like FE4, or FE5 Ch 14 where green units attacked you.

Or more recently, Yarne's paralogue in FE13. If you choose to fight both, I would've liked it if they actually fought each other as well as your units instead of setting aside their differences to kill random passerby.

I understand it's just so the player doesn't get confused about "wait this green guy is attacking me I thought he was an ally oh god," and I'm not quite sure how I'd like to see it implemented, just implemented in some way.

I second this notion. Having a "Faction Screen" of sorts, to show individual relationships between groups of units on the map might help with that confusion.

Edited by Verdant Shade

I really want multiple factions, or something to that effect. Something like FE4, or FE5 Ch 14 where green units attacked you.

Or more recently, Yarne's paralogue in FE13. If you choose to fight both, I would've liked it if they actually fought each other as well as your units instead of setting aside their differences to kill random passerby.

I understand it's just so the player doesn't get confused about "wait this green guy is attacking me I thought he was an ally oh god," and I'm not quite sure how I'd like to see it implemented, just implemented in some way.

From what little I know, the previous Arachanea games (Fire Emblem 1, 3, BSFE, and the remakes) never had any light magic or magic triangle. The closest equivalent to light was the StarLight spell, which was a unique holy item.

Of course, Ylissea takes place a few thousand years (IIRC) after the Arachanea games and has access to the outrealm gates, so how no one ended up bringing Light Magic over from another world or developing it as time went on - to help counter Dark Magic - is a bit. . . baffling.

The 'justification' for no light magic in FE13 because the previous Archanea games didn't have it is BS. There was no distinction between magic types Dark Magic wasn't a separate type neither was Light.

There were 3 'Light' magic tomes: Aura, Nosferatu(due it it's depiction and animation) and Starlight.

There were 3 'Dark' magic tomes: Swarm, Glower and Imhullu.

At the end of the day though, there were just magic. And FE13 added Dark Magic but no Light magic? They even changed Nosferatu back to Dark magic like in the GBA games.

So yeah, there is no 'story-based' justification for no light magic. IS didn't want to add, even though that was a stupid decision. Why did they make it? Who knows?

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

I want Nosferatu to remain light magic. Then add a dark magic variation called Blitzkren or something. Having it just jump back and forth between types is just inconsistent. And I like consistency.

I want Nosferatu to remain light magic. Then add a dark magic variation called Blitzkren or something. Having it just jump back and forth between types is just inconsistent. And I like consistency.

Historically, the light magic version has been called Resire, presumably as a mistranslation of resile, which means 'to spring back' etc. and is the root of the word 'resilience'. The name 'Nosferatu' was only introduced for the dark magic version in the English localisation of FE7 and fits dark better, I feel.

Historically, the light magic version has been called Resire, presumably as a mistranslation of resile, which means 'to spring back' etc. and is the root of the word 'resilience'. The name 'Nosferatu' was only introduced for the dark magic version in the English localisation of FE7 and fits dark better, I feel.

It's Nosferatu in FE9.

I still see people call it Riziah. :facepalm:

This happens in like... FERD. Once.

I can't think of another time this happens in the series.

Happens in FE6 on the Western Isles, and I think one of the Lords in Augustria in FE4 let bandits loose on villages.

Happens in FE6 on the Western Isles, and I think one of the Lords in Augustria in FE4 let bandits loose on villages.

The Grado occupation force, despite already controlling and in the middle of searching Serafew, let bandits walk right by them in FE8.

But you wouldn't notice because you'd probably already beaten the level by the time it started, Banzai.

For the cases where the villains don't intentionally lose bandits on the towns, I think it's more of a case of bandits taking advantage of the confusion in order to loot and the imperial army not caring about what happens to peasant villagers regardless of who they are.

The Grado occupation force, despite already controlling and in the middle of searching Serafew, let bandits walk right by them in FE8.

But you wouldn't notice because you'd probably already beaten the level by the time it started, Banzai.

that random bandit who has a face and affinity but no name is like the single hardest enemy in the game

seth can't even double him, wtf???

For the cases where the villains don't intentionally lose bandits on the towns, I think it's more of a case of bandits taking advantage of the confusion in order to loot and the imperial army not caring about what happens to peasant villagers regardless of who they are.

also this, for example see FESS, Selena Duessel and Glen talk about how bandits are ravaging Renais and wonder why the empire doesn't do anything about it, it's not because Grado is destroying Renais on purpose to be evil, but rather because the only reason they occupied Renais to begin with was to find the stone, and they don't care about managing it at all (as seen by Orson)

even in ch 5, see what the bandit says when he first shows up:

Brigand:

Look at this. Now’s our chance! C’mon, lads! Let's join the fight and steal our way through this pathetic town!

"Now's our chance" implies the chaos is causing an opportunity for pillaging

Besides, say you're the Grado occupation army in Serafew, and at the same time you've got

1) Bandits attacking city

2) Eirika and friends dicking around

when not two cutscenes ago Big General Glen gave you the direct order to capture Eirika at all costs

what are you gonna do

Edited by General Banzai

Besides, say you're the Grado occupation army in Serafew, and at the same time you've got

1) Bandits attacking city

2) Eirika and friends dicking around

when not two cutscenes ago Big General Glen gave you the direct order to capture Eirika at all costs

what are you gonna do

betray the grado army and join the winning side! even if they're losing for all intents and purposes with regards to the story.

you KNOW you wanted FIRST KNIGHT SAUR on your team, don't try to deny it.