Tropes and Traditions You're Sick Of or Would Like To See More Of

Jotari

Titania had like the best map model though and the battle animations were significantly less exciting in that game, so she's forgiven. :p

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want more Maggie and Rose. Not only are they hilarious, they often proof to be a challenge.

'Bless my soul Rose. It hurts doesn't it?'

Pain and Agony where shit tier though. They have to be Berserkers with Killer weapons. Cause they need to make people rage. With a smile.

Don't overuse their portraits like in FE6 though please.

Edited by Diddy Kong

I'd also actually like a female lord that doesn't suck and stay the focus of the story. Eirika (and maybe celica, but I haven't played FE2) is the only one like that, and only if you choose her route.

A magic lord would also be good. well, one with good speed, Micaiah was kind of meh (as a unit. As a character she's just atrocious).

I'd like to see a female lord thats a hybrid dark mage/myrmidon type charecter(maybe parents could have been the respective classes) who happens to be a belivable and respectable charecter that catches on to what is going on quickly, and of course remains in charge all game to both mix things up a bit and spite these particular tropes

I'd like to see a female lord thats a hybrid dark mage/myrmidon type charecter(maybe parents could have been the respective classes) who happens to be a belivable and respectable charecter that catches on to what is going on quickly, and of course remains in charge all game to both mix things up a bit and spite these particular tropes

That doesn't sound half bad! I don't see why her parents have to be those classes, but having parents and not parent already puts her above the norm for JRPG characters.

That doesn't sound half bad! I don't see why her parents have to be those classes, but having parents and not parent already puts her above the norm for JRPG characters.

exactly! parents that don't die would be a plus heck maybe they could serve as the Gotoh charecters

(the class choice would be to give some basis for the strange weapon choice)

I want a lord whose parents are the actual villains. I wanted that even before we got to hear about Chrom's psycho father but actually having parents be enemy units could be really cool. Especially if they're known parents throughout the whole thing and not a random plot twist like Validar's revelation.

If IntSys is gonna do that, why not let the likes of "Rogue", "Ranger", "Knight Lord", "Mage Knight", "Monk" and "Master Lord" return?

Rogue is an inferior Trickster. Rogue's skill is the Thief Lv1 skill in 13, which is 'able to open doors and chests without keys/lockpicks'.

Ranger = Bow Knight = Nomadic Trooper (Mounted Bow/Sword user)

Knight Lord = Mounted Great Lord = Paladin (Mounted Sword/Lance user)

Mage Knight = Valkyrie (since Anima/Light/Dark tomes are not seperate ranks; Mounted Magic/Staff user)

Monk = Mage (since Anima/Light/Dark tomes are not seperate ranks)

Master Lord = Sword-Only Lord with high caps = Lodestar (admittedly, that's Marth only, but still)

I do agree that it would be nice if they had custom naming schemes, but data shaving is a... passable.. reason.

Ah, yes, that reminds me. If you can have a Lord die and not get a Game Over in FE:A, why the hell remove the "Lord" rank from Lords of previous FEs?

Lodestar =/= Lord.

In FE13 if Chrom dies (Main Lord), it's Game Over

I don't know if Lucina dying is a Game Over or not once she's recruited (I think so, but I never let her die anyway...).

Also because the Lord animations are clearly customized for Chrom/Lucina, and it would be rage if they were not wearing their own outfits from some point in time (Eliwood, for example, would have to be wearing his FE6 or one of his 3? FE7 outfits).

This. A thousand times. Male Pegasus Knights/Troubadours would be awesome, and so would Female Fighters/more male exclusive classes that I can't remember right now.

Male only:

Barbarian/Brigand, Fighter, Pirate, Villager, Dread Fighter

Berserker, Warrior

Female only:

Pegasus Knight, Troubadour, Bride

Dark Flier, Falcoknight, Valkyrie

(Seriously, why no Female Dread Fighters or Grooms? D: Would have been awesomeness...)

Lyn "I'm only important in the Prologue and then get kicked to the side and I don't even get my own legendary weapon".

Sol Katti, which admittedly doesn't have Effective vs the Fire Dragon (iirc, I haven't played FE7 in 4 years) but only normal Wyverns (again; iirc; and once you get it there are no more wyverns so whyyy); she's important for a few chapters and she does suggest things of import.

I will admit that she does feel like a lacking character, as if her gameplay is a giant tutorial...

She can be killed despite being.... well, important

Except she survives

Somehow it reminds me of FE4!Leif lol

And speaking of Leif, I kinda want a Lord that is not designed after Marth. In a sense that they are not "Mono Weapon with Limited use Rapier expy". So far, the only Lord who is not like this was Sigurd, Seliph, and Leif, which have Silver Sword, Might As Well Be Silver Sword, and Light Sword instead

I think the 'rapier variant' is more because they want to keep the main lord useful in the early game rather than wanting to emulate Marth.

You couldn't really get a better starting Lord weapon than Leaf's Light Sword (if someone says Lucina, then I'll counter with Celice's 100 kill Hero Sword...so don't), so surely they could try harder rather than more Rapier variants.

Bow Lord or Magic Lord is the only thing they could do to not make the main Lord to similar to other characters. It's no good time for yet another Sword Lord after Awakening. But, like everyone, I'd like a Hector or Ephraim like new main character. It just seems unlikely, cause both FE7 and FE8 have Marth-like Lords with Eliwood and Eirika (mainly use rapiers, and use swords).

I think I prefer Bow Lord out of everything the most actually.

Need a female main lord. And more axe lords. And more female axe users.

If only there were a way to combine these things...

If you combine it with my early idea (FE game starring a Wyvern Rider Lord), you get FAIA EMBUREMU SOEN NO KISEKI JILL GAIDEN. Clearly the best FE game there could ever be.

Celica was actually an interresting variation of the trope. Alm is the one who do the seemingly most important part overall, but Cellica is absolutely essential, and do everything behind the scene to help Alm succeed (She's also the one who allow Alm to promote). She ends up in pretty big trouble because of that. (And that's when Alm have to finally rescue her...).

More situations like that won't annoy me.

Celica was actually an interresting variation of the trope. Alm is the one who do the seemingly most important part overall, but Cellica is absolutely essential, and do everything behind the scene to help Alm succeed (She's also the one who allow Alm to promote). She ends up in pretty big trouble because of that. (And that's when Alm have to finally rescue her...).

More situations like that won't annoy me.

Yeah, Celica's role was just handed really, really well IMO. Even better, she deliberately chose to get involved in Alm's fight to start with!

I want a lord whose parents are the actual villains. I wanted that even before we got to hear about Chrom's psycho father but actually having parents be enemy units could be really cool. Especially if they're known parents throughout the whole thing and not a random plot twist like Validar's revelation.

One bizarre idea I had for a "more grimdark than Seisen" style FE game would be one where the 2nd gen goes up against the 1st gen, and perhaps there'd be a bit of ambiguity over who's the protagonist and who's the antagonist.

Rogue is an inferior Trickster. Rogue's skill is the Thief Lv1 skill in 13, which is 'able to open doors and chests without keys/lockpicks'.

Ranger = Bow Knight = Nomadic Trooper (Mounted Bow/Sword user)

Knight Lord = Mounted Great Lord = Paladin (Mounted Sword/Lance user)

Mage Knight = Valkyrie (since Anima/Light/Dark tomes are not seperate ranks; Mounted Magic/Staff user)

Monk = Mage (since Anima/Light/Dark tomes are not seperate ranks)

Master Lord = Sword-Only Lord with high caps = Lodestar (admittedly, that's Marth only, but still)

I do agree that it would be nice if they had custom naming schemes, but data shaving is a... passable.. reason.

My counter for this is "If they wanted all classes to be vastly different with no redundancy, Lodestar and Conqueror wouldn't exist."

Besides, saying that the units are basically the same doesn't really go along with how many of the spotpass characters end up -playing- in FE:A in a significant amount of cases, which contributes to the breaking of the illusion that you've actually got "returning" characters. You didn't use Paladins Marcus or Isadora the same way you used Knight Lord Eliwood in FE7, did you? The most jarring example is probably Micaiah, who is rebranded into Dark Mage from Light Mage, Rationalize the absense of the Anima/Light/Dark all you want, but I don't think that reclassing really makes sense.

Worst comes to worse, giving the characters the ability to use some of their game-specific skills (Capture, Sacrifice, Shove, Rescue, bringing back Pursuit and Duel maybes?) would also serve to differentiate them from redundancy.

(I was referring to PoR Ranger BTW, but of course that's a whole nother can of worms.)

It really baffles me why they gave Micaiah, a dedicated light magic, user from a game with like ten dark magic users max, shadow gift when units like Gharnef and Julius are characters entirely based around their corruption by dark magic.