Is it OK to abuse the RNG using save states in Drafts/LTC runs?

Nobody

-  

31 members have voted

1. 1. -

• yes
    • no

don't knock it until you've tried it.

If it can be done in short maps, then yes.

If it's something like trying to proc res on BArth, then no.

If it's something like "make sure Rutger has the maximum amount of str/spd he can proc for fe6 HM bonuses", then yes.

Can you actually arrow wave burn RNs before seizing to affect starting stats for enemy recruit units in the next map? I wasn't actually aware of that. I did know that it variates slightly depending on if you "carry over" rns from the last chapter but huh, that's cool.

I do it, but only because all the cool kids RNG abuse. If there was a feasible way to make it impossible to save state abuse, I'd implement it.

Hey Baldrick maybe we should make "hacks" of the games that can't state :P

10/10 would draft.

But wouldn't you have to mess around with the emulator to do that?

I'm honestly not sure! I'd probably have to ask Cam or one of those other techies we have.

I always resented the GBA games for involving dodge tanking (ironic since I love SMs) and subpar hit rates. Now that I think about it save stating is okay, especially for FE6`s BS hit rates. Too many chapters are just too long to have any sort of reliability without RNG abuse of some kind. But save stating for DS games isn`t cool since chapter saves exist and you usually can have short, reliable sequences. Never tried to LTC the Wii games and never even played FE 1 through 5 so I don`t know about those.

I like the way dondon did it, with a list of all the rns in front of him as he played so he would just know how things turn out without having to abuse

Is there a program for this? Seems incredibly useful.

As a side note though, this seems like more abuse than save states.

Edited by commonguard

You can always apply the one FE7 patch that resets the RNG everytime you open state and gives you fixed average level-ups up until L19. It's the same patch Gergeshwan used for his efficiency log. That could be useful for drafts, though the more patient would still reset for the minimum turns - still, no godlike characters with caprammed stats for the most part.

Is there a program for this? Seems incredibly useful.

As a side note though, this seems like more abuse than save states.

there's a lua script

but actually, rather than what banzai seemed to be implying, i log down every action in a spreadsheet instead of just looking at the RN string. before i discovered the lua script, i would rely on trial and error to find the correct sequence of actions, which is less exhaustive and slower. (but now i always use the lua script with the GBA emulator.)

Edited by dondon151

As a person whose only been a part of 2 drafts (one for FE7, one for FE8, and neither was on Serenes), I'm actually really surprised that Save state abuse for solid runs is not only an allowed tactic, but one that's used often enough that you almost have to do it to stay competitive. As much as I enjoy the extra strategy and McGavering that Draft Runs can bring into the games, I still appreciate that luck element that can throw off your plans and make you have to think of something new on the fly. I'm not sure if coming up with a perfect plan before hand and then using the RNG and savestates to make it so would be nearly as fun to me.

Of course, I'm a person who only comes back to Fire Emblem once a year or two, so that may have something to do with it as well.

It's not banned, I think. In my opinion, it's bad sportsmanship, and it basically forces all the other drafters involved to do so as well in order to be able to even compete.

It can't be "wrong" to do so in an LTC run if the very creator of the topic puts the rules.

Nailed it.

I think this is what I would say in general.

i don't bother with plebian things such save states

i just manipulate the memory that stores the RNG so that i know for sure that it's in my favor every time

Edited by CT075