1. 1. Which has the worst balance?

• Seisen no Keifu (FE4)
    • The Binding Blade (FE6)
    • Path of Radiance (FE9)
    • Radiant Dawn (FE10)
    • Shadow Dragon (FE11)
    • New Mystery of the Emblem (FE12)
    • Awakening (FE13)

Rutger's hardly broken at all if he doesn't get royally blessed with strength growths. He stops being the best bosskiller once Percival arrives, possibly earlier.

How about after Echidna arrives?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about after Echidna arrives?

Better than Echidna due to the +30 crit; worse than Miledy (but they still work nice in tandem in some maps). Still, his strength needs to be way higher than average in order for the high hit rates to matter.

The critical factors are rescue and console canto. FE4 infantry have to walk the whole way, and they can't hit and run so they'll mostly be spectating even if they somehow keep up.

Also compare balance between mounts, especially the three knights you start with.

Marcus v Alance

Sigurd v Aloishe

None of the Fire Emblems are really balanced.

A series like Fire Emblem can't be balanced without being overhauled. There have always been units more effective at getting the player through FE's maps than others. Your Haars against your Wolts.

Edited by The Void

"Bad" is subjective by your elitist attitude and you don't even LTC so I do not get you at all, if you did I'd understand your complaints entirely but truth of the matter is, the entire cast of FE6 is useable without LTC stipulations

Rutger and Shin are mediocre in NM [heck Sue often surpasses him in NM and catches up in HM except in Str], Rutger is only as amazing as he is because of his class.

I'm done bickering in this thread ciao. Apologies to PKL.

My issue is, Wendy and Sophia are bad by virtue of having all the cards stacked against them (bad bases, bad jointime, etc.), and it's so bad for them that even for someone like me, who doesn't care about LTC, it's generally a monumental struggle to even work with them (I tried to raise Sophia on the one FE6 playthrough I played, but gave up because it wasn't worth the hassle). Granted, though, it doesn't make them unusable.

Conceded that I probably was making Rutger and Shin sound better than they really were.

Wendy's real problem is that the next 5 or so chapters are axe dominated, and then its a fucking desert. And if you didn't get her levels before then she hasn't got a chance of doing anything in midgame since Javelin chip is too inaccurate and insignificant otherwise. So she needs to be fed a LOT of kills in her join chapter, and then more than likely arena abused in chapter 13. Sophia is comparatively a lot more salvagable imo, aside from the Guiding Ring problem (same deal for Wendy really...), since her flux is more accurate (not great but still), and hits res so her damage output isn't garbage.

I've done NM playthroughs using both Wendy and Sophia, hell my first FE6 NM playthrough was back when I was a noob and LETS USE EVERYONE AND ONLY PROMOTE AT LEVEL 20 kind of mindset (well not everyone because I didn't use prepromotes lol...), I'd say Sophia is a lot more workable (i got an insanely def blessed Sophia, she was quite the nosferatank in endgame lol). I think its fine that harder modes accentuate what characters are good and what are bad, thats in every FE game, but I don't think FE6's NM is terribly unbalanced, especially considering the cast size.

Also @ balance, voted FE10 beacuse of whats already been stated. Things like how Zihark stomps Eddie in P1 and even if you raise him to 20 and promote, Ed still only averages to basically the same stats as Zihark AT BASE WITH NO TRANSFERS anyway. It's pretty pathetic, and I have never bothered putting effort into Ed ever since <_< (I mean there are comparisons to like how Seth and Franz have nearly the same averages at ?/20 and 20/20 but Franz is still invaluable for being your early cav)

Then theres the whole availability issues (Tormod's team, CMK's, etc) and completely fucktarded broken units the game throws at you like Laguz "solo the map" royals, BK, etc.

Edited by Irysa

wow there's so much FE6 hate in this thread, and as expected, a disproportionate of it comes from levant fortner. i'm going to defend FE6 on this front, and hopefully i'll do it very convincingly.

a qualifier before i start: there's no doubt that the FE6 has its fair share of duds on hard mode. this is inevitable with both a large enough cast and a difficult enough game. i am not arguing that FE6 is balanced, nor is it even the FE game with the best balance.

first of all, i want to dispel the notion that a large part of FE6's cast is useless. if one were to look at the cast from not strictly an LTC perspective, he can write off lilina, wendy, barth, cass, and sophia. that's 5 characters out of a cast of 53. if one were to introduce the restrictions of LTC into the mix, there would still be a surprising variety of characters that see frequent use, even if some of them are no good at fighting. you can observe this if you just bothered to watch some of my updated 0% growths playthrough videos: for example, my chapter 15 team looks pretty different from my chapter 11 team.

second, i want to compare FE6 to other games. none of them are really the paragon of balance, and it should be easy to illustrate that most of them have similar ratios of useless characters to total cast, and that LTC exacerbates balance problems.

- FE7 has 3-4 useless characters (wil, karel, nino, karla) in a cast of 42. guys like dart and canas get further shafted in LTC.

- FE8 has 3-5 useless characters (amelia, marisa, l'arachel, ewan, rennac) in a cast of 36.

- FE10 has 4 useless characters (meg, fiona, astrid, lyre) plus fully a fourth of part 4's 16 exclusive characters (stefan, oliver, bastian, volke) in a cast of 72. many otherwise usable characters never see use outside of their respective parts in LTC.

- FE12 has a cast of 77, and many will agree with me that fully half of those characters are unusable on H3, and still most of those are unusable on H2.

for a game that has a relatively large cast and relatively difficult enemies (behind only the games featuring lunatic modes), FE6 does balance pretty well.

in summary: learn how to play the game or quit your bitching. as sort of a resident FE6 expert on this forum, i feel well qualified to say this.

Edited by dondon151

If you apply other RPG rules when it comes to grinding (that grinding is optional), I think FE13's unlimited grinding isn't bad. I find most of the units usable.

My vote for FE11 probably has more to do with my dislike for the game, but I found too many units unusable.

Wait, I'm the only one who voted for FE13?

I wouldn't say FE13 is "unbalanced" as it is broken.

When it comes to units, I'd say FE1/3/11/12 would probably have the least balanced cast, though that's more a consequence of the ridiculously huge cast than anything else.

Now I'm wondering exactly why Gregor is being bashed as among the worst units (at least, that's what it looks like from where I'm standing)...

Edited by Levant Fortner

If I suddenly made the thread title "Vote for your least favorite FE" nothing would change.

Well no

I voted for FE12 even though it's one of the FE games i enjoyed the most, and I'd acknowledge that most of the FE game I enjoy (such as FE 4,7,8,9,12) are probably not well balanced(though FE8 masks this by being easy as f***)

Edited by shinpichu

If I suddenly made the thread title "Vote for your least favorite FE" nothing would change.

Mine wouldn't be FE10!

Voted 10 because units like Meg, Fiona and Lyre coexist with units like laguz royals and majority of the Greil Mercenaries

Now I'm wondering exactly why Gregor is being bashed as among the worst units (at least, that's what it looks like from where I'm standing)...

He's the least broken unit in Awakening, thus the worst it has.

Something like that I guess?

I don't really know I always use him

Edited by Sylphid

If the vote was for least favorite, FE11 will probably be winning.

FE5 should definitely be up there. It's the game where Staff users have their own friggin' tier.

Fuck all 11 haters, die

I haven't play much to know, but I think 1,3,11,12 would be, since like, the starting cavaliers make up the 20% of usable characters.

Even though I never played Shadow Dragon that much, I don't really think its balance is that bad relative to, say, FE4, where mounts' innate advantage is magnified to a startling degree.

He's the least broken unit in Awakening, thus the worst it has.

Something like that I guess?

I don't really know I always use him

I would've expected Donnel to be listed there if that were the case, not Gregor.