[X & Y] Battles~Casual and competitive players, reunite!

Alfred Kamon

As a note, Absol gets Play Rough as an egg move, and iirc you can't get superpower on it until Pokemon Bank opens.

Which pokemon gives it Play Rough and will it be that useful? I mean, fairy, from what I remember, is super effective against fighting, dark and dragon. I only see it being used against fighting and fairy types. Isn't superpower better?

Edited by DodgeDusk

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right, so I've been pondering it a bit, and I'm wondering how this might look for a team.

Meostic (Male) (Prankster)

Mega Mawile (Initimidate -> Huge Power)

Salamence (Moxie)

Magnezone (Magnet Pull)

Crobat (Infiltrator)

Something else

Incidently, I might have a go battling with my in game team for a bit of fun... if anyone's game.

My FC is 1048-8708-5581

Ahahah oh my, you're strong Sylphid!!

You make nice predictions and you switch wisely.

I won only because my Ditto won that speed tie with your Blaziken...

Wow that was intense. Seriously. Let's battle again sometime!

Also Ditto can't use Aegislash's ability... dafaq

Thanks! It's thanks to my first battle with you that I opened my eyes for switching tactics, so it's really nice to hear you compliment me on it.

I also have beginner's luck and wild guessing on my side at times, and I think my in-game party has somewhat unnatural EVs

Heck, I was really surprised that Ditto could copy mega evolutions O_O I mean, it makes sense now, but when I saw that in battle... Wow, biggest surprise in some time for me...

Also, Baton Pass Blaziken is super scary

I agree, let's do it again!

Didn't even notice that :P

Secondly. If you're seriously recommending Moxie, and you're still willing to trade the one you have, then I'll give it a bash. I'm not to sure how breeding abilities works through.

Yup. Anyway breeding abilities is easy this gen. If any of the parents have a hidden ability, there are chances that the child might have it as well.

Simple as that.

I think I forgot to add your friend code? D:

Let me add you, then we can trade. :)

Which pokemon gives it Play Rough and will it be that useful? I mean, fairy, from what I remember, is super effective against fighting, dark and dragon. I only see it being used against fighting and fairy types. Isn't superpower better?

You can get Play Rough from Mawile. Also, as I said, I'm pretty sure Superpower Absol isn't a thing until Pokemon Bank opens.

As for Play Rough, it's used on Mega sets that want to stay in, like a baton pass recipient or a SD set. Dark/Fairy has almost perfect neutral coverage, only being resisted by Steel/Fairy, Poison/Fairy, and Fire/Fairy, the only one of which that actually exists at the moment being Steel/Fairy. Carrying Fire Blast allows you to hit Klefkis and Mawiles Super-Effectively, granting perfect 3-move coverage.

Superpower is still really good, obviously, but isn't available atm, and won't be used on Shell Smash -> BP sets for obvious reasons. SD!Absol might still run it, but it isn't a required coverage move like it used to be.

EDIT: This thread is a really nice reference for SE and Neutral 2-move coverage. For 3 move, it'll take a little looking on your end, but it's nice to have a base to start off from.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/attack-pair-analysis.3490312/

Edited by Ether

You can get Play Rough from Mawile. Also, as I said, I'm pretty sure Superpower Absol isn't a thing until Pokemon Bank opens.

As for Play Rough, it's used on Mega sets that want to stay in, like a baton pass recipient or a SD set. Dark/Fairy has almost perfect neutral coverage, only being resisted by Steel/Fairy, Poison/Fairy, and Fire/Fairy, the only one of which that actually exists at the moment being Steel/Fairy. Carrying Fire Blast allows you to hit Klefkis and Mawiles Super-Effectively, granting perfect 3-move coverage.

Superpower is still really good, obviously, but isn't available atm, and won't be used on Shell Smash -> BP sets for obvious reasons. SD!Absol might still run it, but it isn't a required coverage move like it used to be.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense to run it now (to me anyway)...

... Looks like I'm re-doing my Absols. Was considering making two, one swords dance + sub and one swords dance + 3 attacks but neither have Play Rough ]:

Thanks! It's thanks to my first battle with you that I opened my eyes for switching tactics, so it's really nice to hear you compliment me on it.

I also have beginner's luck and wild guessing on my side at times, and I think my in-game party has somewhat unnatural EVs

Heck, I was really surprised that Ditto could copy mega evolutions O_O I mean, it makes sense now, but when I saw that in battle... Wow, biggest surprise in some time for me...

Also, Baton Pass Blaziken is super scary

I agree, let's do it again!

Didn't even notice that :P

Oh, sweet! You're the one complimenting me by saying that you learnt some switching tactics from me, haha~ ^^

Yeah, that was a surprise for me too. O_O I mean, it was the first time I sent my Ditto against a Mega, I thought it copied its base form, yet... wow.

Baton passing a speed boost to Ditto is epic, it makes it quicker than the original

Anytime! But let's do this team now, I'm kinda hyped for Multiple Battles~

I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense to run it now (to me anyway)...

... Looks like I'm re-doing my Absols. Was considering making two, one swords dance + sub and one swords dance + 3 attacks but neither have Play Rough ]:

If you want, I have some male Play Rough Absols left over from trying to hatch my Naive one. It could save some time.

EDIT: Specifically, the males are Rash/Timid, the females are Naughty/Careful, if you care for any of those natures.

Edited by Ether

If you want, I have some male Play Rough Absols left over from trying to hatch my Naive one. It could save some time.

EDIT: Specifically, the males are Rash/Timid, the females are Naughty/Careful, if you care for any of those natures.

Oh that's awesome. Any of them will do! Is there anything you want in particular? Ask and I'll see if I have it

Oh that's awesome. Any of them will do! Is there anything you want in particular? Ask and I'll see if I have it

Hmm, off the top of my head, I don't have Amaura yet. Or like, a Machoke so it trade evolves or something. If you don't have either, it doesn't really matter, though.

Hmm, off the top of my head, I don't have Amaura yet. Or like, a Machoke so it trade evolves or something. If you don't have either, it doesn't really matter, though.

I have an Amaura. I haven't bred any yet but I can quickly get you an egg if you don't mind hatching it yourself?

Sure, that sounds great.

If you're concerned about the nature of it I can make it quiet (+special attack -speed) if you want. Just saying that because I imagine it might be used on trick room teams

Edited by DodgeDusk

If you're concerned about the nature of it I can make it quiet (+special attack -speed) if you want. Just saying that because I imagine it might be used on trick room teams

I can breed more later, so it isn't a huge concern, but if you want to, I won't complain.

Can fossils even breed? It's just not producing any eggs ;_;

It should be able to... hmm, what does the daycare guy say about the pair? It is a random chance every 256 steps, so you might just be getting unlucky.

It should be able to... hmm, what does the daycare guy say about the pair? It is a random chance every 256 steps, so you might just be getting unlucky.

I got one now. Your trainer's name is?

EDIT: Sweet. Hopefully that's the right egg ;_;

Edited by DodgeDusk

Have a question for competitive players regarding EV training and flat battles. Do you guys usually level up your Pokemon all the way to level 100 for full value/potential of EV level-ups or do you stop at a certain point?

Have a question for competitive players regarding EV training and flat battles. Do you guys usually level up your Pokemon all the way to level 100 for full value/potential of EV level-ups or do you stop at a certain point?

Well, X/Y appear to autolevel anything above 50 to 50, so there's not much reason to go beyond that unless it's for a level-up move.

Damn these IVs, they've got my completely stumped. I'm too much of a perfectionist to deal with this kind of thing. Sadly, my ambitions of raising a team might have just a hit a wall.

Edited by Shuuda

Is anyone free for a battle?

Preferably casual, but I can use my in-game party against a competitive party too.

I'll be 99% sure to lose though xD

I'LL DO- wait I remember what happened the last time we fought

But yeah I'll do it if you don't mind

If you don't mind, I won't mind :)

Want try something different? As in, double, triple or rotation battle?

Sweet. We could do a double battle? It'll mesh well with what we're doing with Alfred after all

Sweet. We could do a double battle? It'll mesh well with what we're doing with Alfred after all

Yes, lets do that :)

My in-game team isn't geared for doubles, but neither is yours (I guess)

Anyways, it will be good experience :)

I'll challenge you soonish (have to set my party)