Irysa

What's your policy on promotion?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What's your policy on promotion?

• ASAP - As soon as they are 10 or better and have a promotion item
    • Midway - Usually around about 14 to 15
    • Late as possible - Always at 20
    • I use stat benchmarks as a guide
    • Screw using unpromoted units, sell all the promotion items!
    • Other

How early/late do you go? Do you base it off current stats or do you adhere to levels/immediate output? Does it vary between unit to unit?

I find myself promoting archers and magic users far earlier than regular combat units because they get mediocre EP combat anyway and thus are unlikely to get exp at a decent rate, so doing more chip is just more useful (magi also get staves). I tend to promote boss killer units earlier than most, but usually midway, and then let everyone else just get to 20 first. Healers tend to wait till 20 unless its a game where you need Warp earlier (like FE6...)

Edited by Irysa

It depends really. If I deem it neccesary to promote at 10, I do it. If It's not, I usually promote them in the 13-15 range. Never do I promote characters beyond that level.

It depends for me. In unmodded FE8 or 7, waiting until level 20 to promote isn't really worth it for me, as a decent-sized team won't reach 20/20 or need the stats. Promotion bonuses and new weapons are a bigger factor.

In 12, I usually promote a few really good units (ie Palla and MU) at 12-15 to have Dracoknights early on, and the rest promote at level 18-20 so they can reach their caps for endgame; even on H1 it's good to have capped stats.

Edited by Vennobennu

It really depends on the game/unit. In FE12, for instance, many units don't exactly struggle to hit 20/20, so them getting all of the EXP they can does kind of matter. Then of course when units promote via levelling up, I usually just go that way. Oftentimes, though, I'll promote pretty much ASAP. For instance, Artur in FE8 basically lives off of his promotion to Bishop, so he gets promoted at 10.

Most around 15ish

20 for characters I use heavily and will probably get to 20/20 because getting them to 20 comes so naturally and effortlessly

10 for healers

Lucius promotes on the desert chapter regardless of level for FE7

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze

I usually promote units whenever I can just to see their sprites or mess up with them but don't save afterwards.

Their definitive promotion is usually at level 20, the only exceptions being Natasha in FE8 and Priscilla in FE7 because they were not level 20 by the final chapter of their respective games and I was going to use them in it

I usually promote if

a) the units stats are good enough that they don't need the extra levels in tier 1

Or

b) the units stats are so garbage that they're just a placeholder until a replacement shows up and I need to promote them

in order to make them somewhat useful.

I promote as late as possible/level 20. I have been known to make exceptions if caps get hit early or something like that. (or im just sick of waiting for said unit to hit level 20)

With healers, its usually around level 15 and up. I like to get them to 20, but sometimes, its just not that feasible depending on the run.

It depends of my current situation (Sometimes extra weapon type, or extra point of movement is incredible helpful and then I make promotion earlier than I do normally), how long is game (In FE8 I promote my units when I only have promo item), unit (some guys like Heath, Makua, Shin or Kent want promotion just earlier).

tl;dr I found promotion at 13 most optimal to many guys in some FE games.

For all guys who votes for "Late as possible - Always at 20". You are even promoting Heath, Oswin and Franz at 20 level ?

Edited by Nicolas