Everything is on fire

Blasied

As you may have guessed, I live in Australia. The area I live in is having some serious bushfire troubles right now with over 300 homes already lost or damaged. My town has not been hit but a good wind could change that very quickly.

Tonight I have to pack my bags in case we need to evacuate within the next few days. Fires happen a lot around here but I've never felt this panicked by them before.

Just felt like something that people in my situation would talk about, I guess. I'm new to this whole "talking about myself" thing.

Well, I literally can't see the sky through all the smoke. And my boyfriend had to evacuate a few days ago and a significant amount of his town doesn't exist anymore (luckily his house only had some superficial scorching).

Being told about reality can lead to fear.

I think it's better to know what's going on than being afraid of what could possibly happen. I mean, sure sometimes it actually can be pretty scary, but I dunno, my imaginations always been able to 1-Up reality in that department.

at the moment Canberra fortunately isn't under threat from the fire, but it's certainly starting to be visible here - the sky's taken up the traditional fire-induced reddish glow and i'm pretty sure we've got a thin layer of smoke drifting over now

that we're starting to see the side effects of it this far away is a testament to how bad it really is over there (which is actually pretty dickish of me to say i mean the whole giant-ass fires and burned husks of former towns thing is obviously the bigger testament to its severity whoops)

sorry you're dealing with this, man. fuck arson and bushfires in all their forms

Edited by bookofholsety

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/dsp_content.cfm?cat_id=683 Fire map. Zoom in to the red ones. I live a bit west of the Springwood one. If it moves to the highway our evacuation routes will become a bit limited. Living in a heavily forested area kinda bites in fire season.

Evacuations are usually quite successful though, the main worry is about property and posessions.

We're mostly just preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. I've calmed down a bit since I removed some shrubs that were close to the house.

Oh dear that's not good I hope you will be alright I live in Australia as well (you are like one of the first I have seen also from Australia on here) And I have family down in Nsw I live in Qld though, those fires are pretty bad, i hope everything gets better soon, I feel for everyone who has lost there homes and is under threat of evacuation it sure is scary.. Soon I will have the danger of floods, it always floods here... though this year they are saying for everyone to be prepared for one of the worst storm seasons in years... if only we could tip Australia a bit and send the water down.

Ah yes. Australian summers. If it's not on fire, that's because it's underwater. Fun stuff.

Yep... the Joy of Australia! one minute its a drought then the next its flooding like crazy then fires again then.... yeah Australian summers are awesome

bad time to remind you of the heat wave back from summer earlier this year? (read: the one where the BoM had to introduce new colors to the heat charts because of it)

also australian weather is great fun all year round, not just summer : P

Edited by Manix

bad time to remind you of the heat wave back from summer earlier this year? (read: the one where the BoM had to introduce new colors to the heat charts because of it)

also australian weather is great fun all year round, not just summer : P

I luckily didn't get that Heat wave, thank goodness, but that's also around the time Ialso had floods, and yeah I guess you are right we did get rain all through winter this year it left the ground so soft and muddy for ages no one could do anything

Play it safe and be sure your family and their electronics gadgets are ready to be evaced at any time. They have hours of your life's accomplishments there!

Hopefully the fire ends soon and doesn't hurt anyone :( .

that got to be the scariest/heart-thumping moment of this year.., i hope your family and your home ended up unscathed, no one can tell what exactly will happen later on, no one can..i mean for glug's sake, just RUUNNN, run before your house became the next victim!! x.x

Edited by Pukuriripo

I'm packed and ready to bolt at a moment's notice. The fires don't seem to have moved much today but the weather forecast looks to be getting worse. From what I hear, the main worry is stopping the State Mine Fire in Lithgow from meeting up with any of the others and if any fire gets into the Blue Mountains National Park area it will become practically inaccessible to firefighters while being able to spread very easily.

Not great for my confidence but in the event that it gets that bad, we're prepared enough to live through it.