The competitive teams topic.

Alfred Kamon

I don't think it's terribly important, but there are some pretty infrequent contexts where not having a negative-natured defense can help. A non-crit Earthquake from a 252+ Atk Excadrill (without LO) has only a 1/16 chance of OHKOing a 168 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield, whereas giving a Def-negative nature pushes the odds to 11/16. As for special defense, LO Thundurus-I 2HKOs a 168 HP / 4 SDef Aegislash-Shield without a crit 5.9% of the time unless SR is up, in which case the odds become 57%; a SDef-negative nature pushes the odds to 90.2% and 100%, respectively.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, after taking a short break, I've decided to try my hand at doubles and start raising a new team:

[spoiler=The Team]

Huge Gourgeist - Relaxed - Frisk - Mental Herb

(HP: 252 / Atk: 4 / Def: 252)

- Trick Room

- Seed Bomb / Shadow Sneak

- Will-O-Wisp

- Protect

Hariyama - Brave - Guts - Flame Orb

(Atk: 252 / Def: 124 / Sp.Def: 132)

- Close Combat

- Fake Out

- Rock Slide

- Wide Guard

Hariyama uses Fake Out on the first turn while Gourgeist sets up Trick Room, and Hariyama attacks with Guts boosted CC and Slide. Rock Slide is a spread move, and Wide Guard protects the team from other spread moves. Gourgeist can scout items and burn opponents. The fact that its immune to Fake Out and Spore means that Hariyama has a bit more freedom with it's own Fake Out.

Ampharos - Modest / Quiet - Static => Mold Breaker - Ampharosite

(HP: 252 / Sp.Atk: 252)

- Thunderbolt / Discharge

- Dragon Pulse

- Focus Blast

- Protect

The team's mega evolution, chosen mainly due to personal preference. Discharge is something I'm considering in tandem with Camerupt, giving my team access to two nasty spread moves.

Camerupt - Quiet - Solid Rock - ?

(HP: 252 / Def: 4 / Sp.Atk: 252)

- Eruption

- Earth Power

- Heat Wave

- Protect

A shakey choice perhaps, but I intend to stick with it for now. Eruption and Discharge will hopefully make for a mighty combination. Earth Power is a Ground Attack that won't require Ampharos to use Protect. Heat Wave is there as a secondly Fire move, just in case Camerupt has to take a hit.

Gallade - Brave - Justified - Sitrus Berry

(HP: 252 / Atk: 252)

- Trick Room

- Close Combat

- Shadow Sneak

- Protect

Togekiss - Sassy - Serene Grace - Leftovers

(HP: 252 / Sp.Atk: 4 / Sp.Def: 252)

- Dazzling Gleam

- Air Slash

- Follow Me

- Protect

My other Trick Room setter and supporter. Again, chosen for personal preference, since I think Gallade is pretty swell. Togekiss keeps the Taunt away while Gallade sets Trick Room.

Yes, I know some of the suggested natures are not prefect, but some of these are based off what I have avaliable, since I need to find myself a Quiet Ditto.

Edited by Shuuda

So, after taking a short break, I've decided to try my hand at doubles and start raising a new team:

[spoiler=The Team]

Huge Gourgeist - Bold - Frisk - Mental Herb

(HP: 252 / Atk: 4 / Def: 252)

- Trick Room

- Seed Bomb / Shadow Sneak

- Will-O-Wisp

- Protect

Hariyama - Brave - Guts - Flame Orb

(Atk: 252 / Def: 124 / Sp.Def: 132)

- Close Combat

- Fake Out

- Rock Slide

- Wide Guard

Hariyama uses Fake Out on the first turn while Gourgeist sets up Trick Room, and Hariyama attacks with Guts boosted CC and Slide. Rock Slide is a spread move, and Wide Guard protects the team from other spread moves. Gourgeist can scout items and burn opponents. The fact that its immune to Fake Out and Spore means that Hariyama has a bit more freedom with it's own Fake Out.

Ampharos - Modest / Quiet - Static => Mold Breaker - Ampharosite

(HP: 252 / Sp.Atk: 252)

- Thunderbolt / Discharge

- Dragon Pulse

- Focus Blast

- Protect

The team's mega evolution, chosen mainly due to personal preference. Discharge is something I'm considering in tandem with Camerupt, giving my team access to two nasty spread moves.

Camerupt - Quiet - Solid Rock - ?

(HP: 252 / Def: 4 / Sp.Atk: 252)

- Eruption

- Earth Power

- Heat Wave

- Protect

A shakey choice perhaps, but I intend to stick with it for now. Eruption and Discharge will hopefully make for a mighty combination. Earth Power is a Ground Attack that won't require Ampharos to use Protect. Heat Wave is there as a secondly Fire move, just in case Camerupt has to take a hit.

Gallade - Brave - Justified - Sitrus Berry

- Trick Room

- Close Combat

- Shadow Sneak

- Protect

Togekiss - Sassy - Serene Grace - Leftovers

(HP: 252 / Sp.Atk: 4 / Sp.Def: 252)

- Dazzling Gleam

- Air Slash

- Follow Me

- Protect

My other Trick Room setter and supporter. Again, chosen for personal preference, since I think Gallade is pretty swell. Togekiss keeps the Taunt away while Gallade sets Trick Room.

Yes, I know some of the suggested natures are not prefect, but some of these are based off what I have avaliable, since I need to find myself a Quiet Ditto.

I have a Quiet Ditto. I can let you use it for whatever you need; only thing is, I'd like to have it back eventually since it has 4 perfect IVs that I use for my breeding projects. Let me know if you'd like to borrow it.

I have a Quiet Ditto. I can let you use it for whatever you need; only thing is, I'd like to have it back eventually since it has 4 perfect IVs that I use for my breeding projects. Let me know if you'd like to borrow it.

That would be very generous of you. I should be free most of the day today for trading.

i've tried running mixed aegislash before, though more as the standard automotize late game cleaner rather than the wallbreaker one you all seem to be talking about.

aegislash@life orb

252 spatk/148 atk/108 spe

rash

shadow ball

hp ice

sacred sword

automotize

2hko's 252/48+ ferrothorn (the standard from last gen) with sacred sword

ohko's even 252/252+ ttar (which never gets played anyway) with sacred sword

obviously kills greninja with sacred sword

2hko's offensive multiscale dragonite with hp ice, 1hko's all other dragon/flying and dragon/grounds

1hko's standard gliscor from last gen (252/0) with hp ice

possible 1hko on opposing 252/0 aegislashes (89-106%) with shadow ball

1hko's all other ou viable ghost types with shadow ball, including specially defensive gourgeist-super with shadow ball

idk the standard mandibuzz spread, but 2hko's 252/0 mandibuzz and 3hko's 252/252 mandibuzz with hp ice

96% to 252/0 donphan with hp ice, meaning a ohko with appropriate hazards

2hko's 252/252+ rotom-h with shadow ball, meaning it can't switch in to overheat unless scarfed; most of the time rotom heat will have taken damage from volt switching around too

etc

should be ran with something to set spikes/sr.

speed ev's outspeed positive speed dugtrio and everything slower, so you don't get revenge killed by that. you could run more speed to get past talonflame/scarf landorus t, but frankly you should have opposing talonflame dead before bringing this thing in. while talonflame can still revenge kill, it can't switch in, because shadow ball is a ohko. same with scarf landorus-t and hp ice.

Hmm, I've been thinking about adding a Pangoro as a potential team-member in my doubles Trick Room team, but it seems to be suffering a big case of 4MSS. It's got a lot of good moves, like Quick Guard, Parting Shot, Hammer Arm and Storm Throw, and Earthquake, but trying to get the most out of it in one set is challenging me. If only it got Fake Out, then it would be pretty awesome, especially since it can have Scrappy as an ability.

Pangoro - Brave - Mold Breaker / Scrappy

- Hammer Arm / Storm Throw

- Crunch / Earthquake

- Parting Shot

- Quick Guard

All right, so I raised my team and gave it a whirl in some free battles. Let's just say, mixed results. I'm thinking that maybe Camerupt is a bit of a one trick pony, and therefore relying on it is a bit too risky. However, I've found something else that might fit well in a TR team.

Granbull - Brave - Intimidate - Life Orb

(Something somthing Atk: 252)

- Play Rough

- Close Combat

- Rock Slide / Earthquake

- Protect

Also, while my original plans were for a Gourgeist, I've actually stuck with a Pumpkaboo with Evolite. So far it's done right by me with Trick Room, Seed Bomb, Will-O-Wisp, Destiny Bond.

essentially, yeah

idk, i'm not really a fan of the meta right now, I was just glad it was a team without deoxys-D/Genesect/Thunderus/Talonflame/Mega Lucario

I can't say I disagree. It's partly the reason I wanted to build a doubles team in game before Pokémon was released.

My Team:

Typhlosion

Nature: Timid

Item: Wise Glasses (I tried both choice scarf and specs, but I was not fond of being locked to one move until I switch)

Moves: Eruption, Focus Blast, Hidden Power Grass, Fire Blast

Swampert

Nature: Adamant

Item: Muscle Band (I tried a choice band, but again I didn't like being locked to one move until I switch)

Moves: Waterfall, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Ice Punch

Forretress

Nature: Sassy

Item: Leftovers

Moves: Rapid Spin, Volt Switch, Stealth Rock, Spikes

Regirock

Nature: Careful

Item: Weakness Policy

Moves: Drain Punch, Stone Edge, Fire Punch, Earthquake

Jirachi

Item: Lum Berry

Moves: Iron Head, Body Slam, Zen Headbutt, Wish

Aegislash

Item: Leftovers

Moves: Shadow Sneak, Sacred Sword, Swords Dance, King's Shield

I use this team on Pokemon Showdown, and have most of the members (aside from Aegislash) waiting in White 2 ready to transfer (HURRY UP POKEMON BANK). It took ages to get Hidden Power Grass on Typhlosion while making it have good, but not perfect IVs. For Aegislash I just gotta breed one with mostly perfect IVs.

Some Pokemon Showdown replays of this team in action. (In the first three replays I had just got back into online battling after a long break. They also came before I decided on Aegislash as my sixth party member. My username on Pokemon Showdown is Personthing)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-70851664

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-72601703

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-72612956

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-72962462

Edited by Kamina

Um, did we just battle? Either that or I battled someone with the same team as you... GG again, then.

Edited by Comet

I would suggest running Mix Slash or Special Slash instead, but I have not reviewed the team as a whole so eh....

Anyway I made a new team which is both cheap and terrible. Dunno how that works

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-73480925

Bottom Line: Manaphy is extremely broken and I don't know why nobody used it

I don't even realize Mold Breaker does that until late into the game, so ehhh

Not the best match to post to be perfectly honest, but I don't feel like running my ussual team lately

Edited by JSND