Fire Emblem in Smash 4 Thread (2 Non-FE Newcomer Confirmed! An FE Assist Confirmed! 4/8/14)

Naui

139 members have voted

1. 1. What other Fire Emblem Lord would you like to see in Smash as a playable character?

• Alm
    • Sigurd
    • Seliph
    • Leif
    • Roy
    • Lyndis
    • Eliwood
    • Hector
    • Eirika
    • Ephraim
    • Ike
    • Micaiah
    • The Avatar (New Mystery of the Emblem)
    • The Avatar (Awakening)
    • Lucina
    • Chrom

Chrom is more likely because he's actually Awakening's main character and stays important throughout the game along with being popular (at least among female fans). :/

Lucina is a lord, yes, but she's hardly important anymore after she's recruited, and her defeat won't result in a gameover (which it easily could have given the cutscenes she takes part in after her recruitment). And when Lucina WAS important to the story, she was "Marth." The only way I see Lucina being playable is in a tag team with Chrom, a la Ice Climbers, as a shoutout to the pair-up mechanic.

All Lucina has going for her is popularity. And popularity alone doesn't guarantee a character a spot in the roster. Mewtwo didn't make it into Brawl, for example. Geno from Super Mario RPG is loved quite a bit, but he definitely wasn't ever playable.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, according to Anacybele's Logic, Leif is also not important because there is no game over in FE4 when he get killed. He also won't get his own game, nor will he be considered to be included in smash bros!

Edited by Eradicator Boner

Guys, according to Anacybele's Logic, Leif is also not important because there is no game over in FE4 when he get killed. He also won't get his own game, nor will he be considered to be included in smash bros!

That would just be preposterous.

Oh wow he looks awesome...

Glad he's back and all that jazz..

I still cannot get over how awesome he looks like wow..

Now this brings the question of if he is unlockable or right away...

It's early yet, so I kind of doubt that they'd announce unlockables already.

Which means that, in my opinion, Marth is probably a starter.

They're not entirely consistent with the unlockables in any case. Ness was unlockable in SSB64, a starter in Melee, and unlockable again in Brawl, so Marth could be a starter in SSB4 even though he's always been unlockable before.

Why does having been in Smash previously disqualify them? Couldn't we get one(or both) of them AND new FE character?

I would honestly want all the lords (or at least more than Marth and the most recent one like Melee and Brawl) and some other characters from other Nintendo franchises, but I know we can't have infinite characters in the game, so if I am to choose a second FE lord to appear, I'd prefer one that hasn't appeared before.

I would honestly want all the lords (or at least more than Marth and the most recent one like Melee and Brawl) and some other characters from other Nintendo franchises, but I know we can't have infinite characters in the game, so if I am to choose a second FE lord to appear, I'd prefer one that hasn't appeared before.

Again, why only two? Where is there a rule that Smash can only have two FE characters?

Again, why only two? Where is there a rule that Smash can only have two FE characters?

I'm not saying it is a rule, I just said it was like that in both Melee and Brawl. IIRC, this game is supposed to have less characters than Brawl so I don't find it likely this game will be the first one to have more than two FE characters. I just hope I am wrong about this because I would love to have more FE characters regardless of who it is.

IIRC, this game is supposed to have less characters than Brawl

No. Sakurai never said that.

It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.

The quote is more about how he wants to do more that just add a bunch of new characters. Nowhere does he say that he'll be reducing the number of characters. And the statement "we've probably already reached the limit of what's feasible" is vague enough that it might not be referring to Brawl's roster size. As I understand, he used similar language during Brawl's development.

Sakurai isn't stupid. He knows that the characters are the primary draw for a huge chunk of the Smash fanbase. Why the hell would he put fewer characters in Smash 4?

Ugh, people whining about buffs and nerfs. Unless they really need them, they're fine. Give Ganon and co something that makes them at least mediocre and nerf Meta Knight a bit. No matter what, there will always be some characters that are better than others.

I'm not sure what you have in mind, I just would like to see the hitboxes

I like hitboxes

180px-Jigglypuff_Back_Aerial_Hitbox_Mele

yes? :Kappa:

Reporting for adult content

(seriously, those Marth screenshots seem to me to have been almost coy in their refusal to show just how far the sword reaches)

Edited by Rehab

SSB4 is being constructed with hardware that should have more horsepower than what was used for Brawl, but I'm wondering if that is mostly being used for gameplay or characters...

Sakurai never said SSB4 was going to have a smaller roster than Brawl. I think it would be stupid to REDUCE the number of playable characters. Sakurai DID say, however, that he was going to focus more on gameplay and stuff than on newcomers. This could very well mean that we'll get the same number of newcomers that Brawl had, but the game will have even better gameplay, more gameplay features, more of everything else than what Brawl gave us. It's possible, the Wii U is a more powerful system than the Wii and likely can hold way more data.

Edited by Anacybele

You know what I want to see, other than the roster? A game mode where you fight on a fully 3D field. It'd mark a new experience of gameplay for smash and could very possibly add more playtime for the game

You know what I want to see, other than the roster? A game mode where you fight on a fully 3D field. It'd mark a new experience of gameplay for smash and could very possibly add more playtime for the game

Go play Power Stone

What about the Avatar?

Awakening's Avatar is just as important as Chrom is at least (and is more important than Lucina). The Awakening one doesn't fight like Marth or Ike. The Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are playable (so that takes care of the Avatar being customizable). He's been in 2 games (3 if you count Blazing Blade which had the Tactician).

Edited by The Void

What about Robin?

He's just as important as Chrom is at least. She doesn't fight like Marth or Ike. The Villager and Wii Fit Trainer playable (so that takes care of Robin not having one sex). He's been in 2 games (3 if you count Blazing Blade).

Finally, someone agrees with me on Robin!

Yes, Robin could very well prove to be the most unique among the candidates for having both swords AND magic. Though the fact that he's customizable makes him a little tricky, I still vouch for this

#RallyRobin

What about the Avatar?

Awakening's Avatar is just as important as Chrom is at least (and is more important than Lucina). The Awakening one doesn't fight like Marth or Ike. The Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are playable (so that takes care of the Avatar being customizable). He's been in 2 games (3 if you count Blazing Blade which had the Tactician).

If we had to get an Awakening character, I would have to pick Robin as my "most" wanted.

I mean, I hate Robin for being a Mar(t)y Sue/Stu and all, but s/he's honestly the most unique of the Awakening leads(gameplay-wise, Chrom/Lucina just strike me as Ike clones) and is probably our best bet at getting a magic user(or really any sort of non sword user) in Smash.

I was about to actually say the same thing.

...however keep in mind that those "promotions" via Lucina are specific to America and Europe.

Nah.

Fire-elmblem-awakening-OST-cover.jpg

2415899-knights_of_iris.jpg

She's the poster girl in Japan too.

I think Robin (I prefer the Tactician) is the most likely option to give strong gameplay diversity (other than some type of tag team). Being a Mary Sue isn't really a problem, considering it's a fighting game where other Avatar characters reside (Pokemon Trainer and the Villager).

I also would really love to see Micaiah, as she would also give us a diverse moveset, and is the best chance for a non-sword user. Since Smash tends to reflect the previous generation, she is also one of the only choics aside from an Awakening character.

Edited by Viewtiful_J