The War for Our Future - Character Development Thread

MRDRHAWK

This thread is a direct off-shoot of "The War for Our Future" thread, dedicated to character development that centers interactions that don't fall into the main plotline of the time, or singular character development.

[spoiler=Hero-King/Marth][spoiler=Marth's Character Development!!]
With everything that has happened so far. I finally managed to get a moment to myself and really delve in to what all of this means. Previously, I was told that I was only a mere phantom of myself. In battle, I manage to tap into this hidden power that resembles the five orbs of the binding shield. And every time I hear the word,Einherjar, something triggers inside of my being, along with a memory of a mysterious area. I stared into Falchion to see my reflection.
I am..... different somehow. From what I remember myself to be. "Marth".....King of Altea and leader of the united continent of Archanea.... They all seem so distant now.
A bright light shined out of Falchion and its flare engulfed my body. When I came to, I was in an empty white space by myself. The voice from before appeared again. It's voice echoing throughout
Heed me, young king.
Tell me, who are you? And what do you know about me?
It has been many years hasn't it?
Answer me please.
You are in the presence of the White Sage, Gotoh.
Gotoh? But aren't you supposed to be long dead? Why do you only appear within my inner stasis?
The same can be said about you. I am no longer within the realm of the living and have rejoined Naga in watching over the world. It appears that you are beginning waver young king.
Well.... yes. From the moment that I entered this era, I have felt that I am... modified in a way. In battle, I have tapped into what looked to be, one of the five sacred orbs of the binding shield. And even utilizing Starlight without its tome. I feel as though I am a mere shadow of who I once was, but tell me, I am still me....right?
The answer is yes..... and no.
What do you mean? Care to explain?
All that I can currently tell you, is that the term"Einherjar" is related to your dilemma. Keep in mind that Marth is only human and cannot transcend the physical boundaries of his lifespan. But there is more to you than you are aware of.
White Sage Gotoh, I need answers. These questions fail to stay out of the contents of my mind. What is it that you know?
If it is answers that you seek, then you must seek us out. Time grows short for our conversation.
But how? You no longer are within the realm of the living, and this Anna epidemic prevents me from going to the Outrealm gates.
If you wish to find us and sate your doubts, you must first find the Old Hubba, the overseer of the Outrealms. He may be able to aid you. Until the day we meet again King Marth.
Gotoh... wait!
Before I could get another word from him, the space that I resided in was beginning to disappear in front of me and in a flash, I was back in the current residence of the Azure Dreamers.
I was left with more questions than answers, but one thing was clear: the Einherjar and Old Hubba were the only leads that I had to discovering what I really am.
To be continued

[spoiler=Marth's Nightmare]

I somehow drifted into a deep sleep. While slumbering I began to dream of the old days. In the dream, I was in my youthful days within House Altea as the prince. My father, Cornelius was still the king and everything was all and well. Jagen was still the commanding paladin of Altea's knights, Cain and Abel continued to compete for who was the better knight. Gordin was out at the back, practicing his bow precision. And I was at the training grounds, applying myself to the ways of the sword. But then, that fateful day reoccured.........

Father had to take up arms in the war and took the main Altea's main army with him. In the following night, I was just finishing my sword practicing and was ready to retire to my chambers..... only to find the entire castle overrun by Gra soldiers! Every hallway I looked, there were dead bodies lying on the floor, with the blood of the fallen gashing out from their mutilated corpse and splattered onto the walls. The sight was horrifying to to behold. My heart race was skyrocketing, and then the guards noticed me. With my rapier in hand, I made my stand, and reclaimed the throne. There was Elice. I was glad to see that she was in one piece, yet she implored that I leave. Naturally, I refused, but then the dream took a huge turn..... Before we could discuss any further, a Gra archer, from behind us...... readied his bow. Aimed.... shot in our direction... and killed Elice, right before my eyes! The blood that seeped through her dress and onto my hands only added to the sheer mortification.. Why.... how...... I don't remember this! Whats going on?!

As the nightmare continued, I began to violently toss and turn in my sleep, while muttering a few words

Not too long afterwards did I see Jagen, Abel, Frey and Cain rushing to my side to ensure that I was safe. All were wounded and barely holding the reins of their horses and weapons, pleading that we escape. My legs grew weak and arms trembled uncontrollably, far too terrified to even move. Sensing this, Jagen had to man-handle me in order to mount me onto his horse and make our escape. As we progressed, I only grew more and more terrified as I saw the massacre of innocents left and right. One by one, the three knights Cain, Abel, and Frey stayed behind to ensure my escape and fell by the traitorous Gra soldiers, until it was just Jagen and I. Just as we were about to make it, A heavily clad knight blocked us, along with an entire battalion to back him up. Jagen fought valiantly, slaying as many as he could so that none could so much as lay an eye on me. However, it was not enough.One of them pierced his heart with his lance and ended him. It was just me left, scrambling on the ground to get up and run for my life, until two knights apprehended my arms and held me still as their general, King Jiol made his appearance. he wanted to be the one to finish the last of Anri's descendants himself. As he raised his lance, ready to impale my stomach and end me, my life began to flash before my eyes. Is this the end for me? No...... no...... NOOOOOO!!

NOOOOO!! Just before his lance made contact with me, I woke up from the nightmare, my heart racing and face covered in sweat. I began to pant heavily,as I was still terrified by how vivid it was. It was..... all just... a dream.... a horribly..... mortifying.... nightmare!

[spoiler=Nostalgia]

I continued to read on about the Archanean history books within my room. Every new page brought back all of the memories; the good and the bad; the happy and the sad; the victories and the losses; my friends and my enemies. A part of me wishes that I could, just for a moment, return to my old life and live in peace with my friends and family. I miss the days where I could just enjoy myself blissfully. Jagen's lectures (surprisingly), my sister Elice's loving support, Merric's magical theatrics that sometimes went horribly wrong, Tiki's seemingly endless energy to play. And then, of course, my dearly beloved's beautifully glowing smile, whose elegant grace made every day worth living. Just for a little while, i wish.... No, i can't think of such thoughts now. I have a mission to complete

Homesickness was catching up to me apparently. I must have done too much reading for it to cause me to miss home so much. So I closed the book and then overheard Dusk, Shadow, Dan and Anon in the kitchen. They seem to be enjoying their selves over there. Perhaps I should join them to get home off of my mind

[spoiler=Marth's Lament]
After Samson's revelation of Tiki's whereabouts, I walked away from everyone else. After a few moments of walking, it gradually turned into running.....far away. I didnt want anyone to see me like this,which no one has ever had the liberty to do, save for a select few. For the first time in only Anri knows how long, I lost all collection of myself in an instant. When I was far enough that no one could see me, I finally fell down to my knees and my emotions just exploded. I was actually.......crying. The hot tears from my eyes continued to cascade down my cheeks and drip onto the ground as I was weeping to myself. She's gone.... she's actually gone....... The one person left from my time has deceased, along with my heart at this moment in time. Dead. And the worst part about was........ I was completely.....utterly....powerless to protect her.

I then flash backed to all of our memories in the old days. When I first saw her, she was all alone and suffered from nightmares of degenerating into a wild beast. White sage Gotoh, along with her previous guardian Bantu, entrusted her safety to me. They trusted that I would save her from her nightmares and allow her to live her life without worry or fear. I promised that I would keep her close and do my best to make her happy. I took her in when the war was over. She was almost a little sister.....that strangely stayed little. The sound of her laughter was enough to make anyone's day better. I was temporarily able to solve the problem......until I was brought here, into the world of Ylisse

I had left home. I had left my friends, due to the calling of Naga and wound up two millenia into the future. Everyone and everything that I once knew was gone, but she still lived. It must have been hard for her to be alone for so long. It always was her greatest fear, and because I was here, I had wanted to meet her and apologize for making her suffer for so long, and to keep my promise of keeping her safe. But as of today, I have officially failed. For many many years, Tiki probably had to feel the pain of her loved ones leaving her alone in a world that was no longer her own. But now...... it appears she has left me. And before I could even apologize.

I looked up into the sky, the clouds formed and rain began to fall from the heavens. As the rain droplets fell onto my skin, all I could say was this: Naga....... I'm sorry

[spoiler=Kat/Phoibus]

[spoiler=Phoibus and Dusk - Second conversation]​Phoibus: Okay… where is he this time? *carefully hunting around, disguised again as the common dreamer soldier, this time with some fake scars and an eyepatch*

Dusk: ... Hmm... I wonder if there's any books about the history of Magvel around here...

Phoibus: *manages to overhear that and, with a voice that's pitched low* "I believe you need to look in this section, Grand General."

Dusk: ... I recognize that voice... *walks over to given direction* Alright; expose yourself...

Phoibus: "Huh. Your ears are good." *back to normal voice* "Hiya!"

Dusk: My senses are pretty amazing... "brother"... What brings you here?

Phoibus: "Well… I was just hanging around and decided to have a little talk about the ring my sister was wearing when she left to go talk to Mila before I go bug her."

Dusk: Oh yes... You know, I never offered it to her. I just chucked it in her direction and it fell onto her finger. She's the one who's kept it on

Phoibus: "Oh, good, I didn't miss a wedding. I'd be VERY angry at that. Particularly since I can only think of a handful of reasons why to rush one."

Dusk: One wedding's enough... Besides, *smirks* I wouldn't want my brother-in-law to miss it now, would I?.. But I'll bite, what reasons did you conjure up?

Phoibus: "You really never heard of the term 'crossbow wedding'?"

Dusk: ... I wasn't one for love, so no I haven't

​Phoibus: "Okay, so… when two people get a little hormone addled and decide to spend some intimate time together, and then the family finds out… well, let's just say that some overzealous fathers decide that the two get married, often with a crossbow as reinforcement. Get it?"

Dusk: I see... Last I checked, no father was shoving a crossbow in my face, so I don't see the need to get married... Although...

Phoibus: "Yes, yes. This was me confirming I hadn't missed something, not what your future plans are. …You'd better not die too soon on her. If you do, I will find your soul to punish you. Don't think I won't."

Dusk: Oh please, I don't plan on dying full stop. I know that she gets reborn every time she dies and eventually gets her old memories back, so I'm stuck with her forever. I plan on making the most out of this... And I'm sure you would... I can't understand you Phoibus, and I don't think I want to... *shrugs* But you're stuck with me until I die, so deal with it

​Phoibus: "…I hope you never do understand what it's like to constantly die and be brought back, with only one thing to look forward to. It's not a very happy existence. The only joy I have anymore is seeing Agrona happy. Nothing more. So, it is not 'stuck'. It's gratitude. I have never seen her this happy, and I know that her memory of you will keep her happy for a long, long time."

Dusk: ... It pleases me to hear you say such things... I promise on her and you that I will make her happy for as long as I breathing... And if I don't... consider my soul yours

Phoibus: "Good. Because that's what I'm taking if you fail." *turns away* "Anyway, I'm off to Mount Prism to check on something for the stupid Annas. Later." *leaves*

Dusk: ... What a confusing fellow... I think him and I need to discuss about things with a mug in our hands soon... Now where is that book?.. *searches* Oh, look at that. It is here... Thanks bro

[spoiler='Phoibus after Rosaline's death]As the Dreamers begin fighting the Annas, Phoibus jumps down from his perch and makes his way to Rosaline's body. "My sister is right, you know," he whispers as he lays a single, perfect rose on the corpse and gathers it up in his arms. "You chose to trust the wrong person. My sister and I… we're playing a game, you see. A chess game with three sides to accomplish what others cannot. The rogue pawn… is one to be sacrificed, as it will never reach the other side to become more powerful." He gently kisses her forehead. "A shame, it is. I did like you. But your goals conflicted mine, and I was the craftier one of us." He glances to the fighting, smiles bitterly, and turns away. "It's okay, though. I found a place where wild roses grow, far more beautiful than what could be cultivated in a garden. I'll take you there, among flowers that match your grace and beauty." He walks off, sparing only a brief glance to the fighters. "Well, Agrona? The next move is yours." With those words, he leaves the port, already planning the lies he'd weave to keep his chosen pawns - the Annas - in the dark.

[spoiler=Kat after Theresa's death]She closes her eyes and listens to the gentle crashing of the waves. She casts her thoughts to the side and then picks them up, one by one, to examine them. "So, Jxemas was talking of 'heaven's game'? A shame, but that game no longer exists. The goddess who blesses has been twisted. Mila and Doma lost the gamble and now… now Phoibus and I are picking up the fallen pieces." She opens her eyes again to see a ship in the distance, sailing off to Valm. "Looks like Phoibus has managed to convince them that Theresa and Rosaline have killed each other in combat. I wonder what lie he spun. That was always his strong point. He never was a fighter." She glances back to the others, conversing lightly amidst the dying city, the decaying enemies, the drying blood. "Phoibus chose the pawns, but I chose the others. This game is one we cannot afford to lose." She looks back to the horizon, seeing something that no one else could. "Check, my dear fool. What'll be your next move?" Smiling softly, she turns from the ocean to rejoin the others. Her… her family that she would protect with everything she had. No longer pieces to treat kindly. True and beautiful friends who had become her dearest people.

Edited by Suzuka Gongen

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GET TO IT YOU CHUCKLEFUCK.

Why don't you give me one of yours to add to it?

Or better yet, all of them. Preferably in Chronological Order.

Guess I'm the first one to post mine:

[spoiler=Marth's Character Development!!]
With everything that has happened so far. I finally managed to get a moment to myself and really delve in to what all of this means. Previously, I was told that I was only a mere phantom of myself. In battle, I manage to tap into this hidden power that resembles the five orbs of the binding shield. And every time I hear the word,Einherjar, something triggers inside of my being, along with a memory of a mysterious area. I stared into Falchion to see my reflection.
I am..... different somehow. From what I remember myself to be. "Marth".....King of Altea and leader of the united continent of Archanea.... They all seem so distant now.
A bright light shined out of Falchion and its flare engulfed my body. When I came to, I was in an empty white space by myself. The voice from before appeared again. It's voice echoing throughout
Heed me, young king.
Tell me, who are you? And what do you know about me?
It has been many years hasn't it?
Answer me please.
You are in the presence of the White Sage, Gotoh.
Gotoh? But aren't you supposed to be long dead? Why do you only appear within my inner stasis?
The same can be said about you. I am no longer within the realm of the living and have rejoined Naga in watching over the world. It appears that you are beginning waver young king.
Well.... yes. From the moment that I entered this era, I have felt that I am... modified in a way. In battle, I have tapped into what looked to be, one of the five sacred orbs of the binding shield. And even utilizing Starlight without its tome. I feel as though I am a mere shadow of who I once was, but tell me, I am still me....right?
The answer is yes..... and no.
What do you mean? Care to explain?
All that I can currently tell you, is that the term"Einherjar" is related to your dilemma. Keep in mind that Marth is only human and cannot transcend the physical boundaries of his lifespan. But there is more to you than you are aware of.
White Sage Gotoh, I need answers. These questions fail to stay out of the contents of my mind. What is it that you know?
If it is answers that you seek, then you must seek us out. Time grows short for our conversation.
But how? You no longer are within the realm of the living, and this Anna epidemic prevents me from going to the Outrealm gates.
If you wish to find us and sate your doubts, you must first find the Old Hubba, the overseer of the Outrealms. He may be able to aid you. Until the day we meet again King Marth.
Gotoh... wait!
Before I could get another word from him, the space that I resided in was beginning to disappear in front of me and in a flash, I was back in the current residence of the Azure Dreamers.
I was left with more questions than answers, but one thing was clear: the Einherjar and Old Hubba were the only leads that I had to discovering what I really am.
To be continued

[spoiler=Marth's Nightmare]

I somehow drifted into a deep sleep. While slumbering I began to dream of the old days. In the dream, I was in my youthful days within House Altea as the prince. My father, Cornelius was still the king and everything was all and well. Jagen was still the commanding paladin of Altea's knights, Cain and Abel continued to compete for who was the better knight. Gordin was out at the back, practicing his bow precision. And I was at the training grounds, applying myself to the ways of the sword. But then, that fateful day reoccured.........

Father had to take up arms in the war and took the main Altea's main army with him. In the following night, I was just finishing my sword practicing and was ready to retire to my chambers..... only to find the entire castle overrun by Gra soldiers! Every hallway I looked, there were dead bodies lying on the floor, with the blood of the fallen gashing out from their mutilated corpse and splattered onto the walls. The sight was horrifying to to behold. My heart race was skyrocketing, and then the guards noticed me. With my rapier in hand, I made my stand, and reclaimed the throne. There was Elice. I was glad to see that she was in one piece, yet she implored that I leave. Naturally, I refused, but then the dream took a huge turn..... Before we could discuss any further, a Gra archer, from behind us...... readied his bow. Aimed.... shot in our direction... and killed Elice, right before my eyes! The blood that seeped through her dress and onto my hands only added to the sheer mortification.. Why.... how...... I don't remember this! Whats going on?!

As the nightmare continued, I began to violently toss and turn in my sleep, while muttering a few words

Not too long afterwards did I see Jagen, Abel, Frey and Cain rushing to my side to ensure that I was safe. All were wounded and barely holding the reins of their horses and weapons, pleading that we escape. My legs grew weak and arms trembled uncontrollably, far too terrified to even move. Sensing this, Jagen had to man-handle me in order to mount me onto his horse and make our escape. As we progressed, I only grew more and more terrified as I saw the massacre of innocents left and right. One by one, the three knights Cain, Abel, and Frey stayed behind to ensure my escape and fell by the traitorous Gra soldiers, until it was just Jagen and I. Just as we were about to make it, A heavily clad knight blocked us, along with an entire battalion to back him up. Jagen fought valiantly, slaying as many as he could so that none could so much as lay an eye on me. However, it was not enough.One of them pierced his heart with his lance and ended him. It was just me left, scrambling on the ground to get up and run for my life, until two knights apprehended my arms and held me still as their general, King Jiol made his appearance. he wanted to be the one to finish the last of Anri's descendants himself. As he raised his lance, ready to impale my stomach and end me, my life began to flash before my eyes. Is this the end for me? No...... no...... NOOOOOO!!

NOOOOO!! Just before his lance made contact with me, I woke up from the nightmare, my heart racing and face covered in sweat. I began to pant heavily,as I was still terrified by how vivid it was. It was..... all just... a dream.... a horribly..... mortifying.... nightmare!

[spoiler=Nostalgia]

I continued to read on about the Archanean history books within my room. Every new page brought back all of the memories; the good and the bad; the happy and the sad; the victories and the losses; my friends and my enemies. A part of me wishes that I could, just for a moment, return to my old life and live in peace with my friends and family. I miss the days where I could just enjoy myself blissfully. Jagen's lectures (surprisingly), my sister Elice's loving support, Merric's magical theatrics that sometimes went horribly wrong, Tiki's seemingly endless energy to play. And then, of course, my dearly beloved's beautifully glowing smile, whose elegant grace made every day worth living. Just for a little while, i wish.... No, i can't think of such thoughts now. I have a mission to complete

Homesickness was catching up to me apparently. I must have done too much reading for it to cause me to miss home so much. So I closed the book and then overheard Dusk, Shadow, Dan and Anon in the kitchen. They seem to be enjoying their selves over there. Perhaps I should join them to get home off of my mind

[spoiler=Marth's Lament]
After Samson's revelation of Tiki's whereabouts, I walked away from everyone else. After a few moments of walking, it gradually turned into running.....far away. I didnt want anyone to see me like this,which no one has ever had the liberty to do, save for a select few. For the first time in only Anri knows how long, I lost all collection of myself in an instant. When I was far enough that no one could see me, I finally fell down to my knees and my emotions just exploded. I was actually.......crying. The hot tears from my eyes continued to cascade down my cheeks and drip onto the ground as I was weeping to myself. She's gone.... she's actually gone....... The one person left from my time has deceased, along with my heart at this moment in time. Dead. And the worst part about was........ I was completely.....utterly....powerless to protect her.

I then flash backed to all of our memories in the old days. When I first saw her, she was all alone and suffered from nightmares of degenerating into a wild beast. White sage Gotoh, along with her previous guardian Bantu, entrusted her safety to me. They trusted that I would save her from her nightmares and allow her to live her life without worry or fear. I promised that I would keep her close and do my best to make her happy. I took her in when the war was over. She was almost a little sister.....that strangely stayed little. The sound of her laughter was enough to make anyone's day better. I was temporarily able to solve the problem......until I was brought here, into the world of Ylisse

I had left home. I had left my friends, due to the calling of Naga and wound up two millenia into the future. Everyone and everything that I once knew was gone, but she still lived. It must have been hard for her to be alone for so long. It always was her greatest fear, and because I was here, I had wanted to meet her and apologize for making her suffer for so long, and to keep my promise of keeping her safe. But as of today, I have officially failed. For many many years, Tiki probably had to feel the pain of her loved ones leaving her alone in a world that was no longer her own. But now...... it appears she has left me. And before I could even apologize.

I looked up into the sky, the clouds formed and rain began to fall from the heavens. As the rain droplets fell onto my skin, all I could say was this: Naga....... I'm sorry

Edited by Hero-King

Links or the actual scripts?

Scripts, if possible. If you can only give links, that works since I can just pull the script from there.

also I love you Marf bb

[spoiler=Phoibus and Dusk - Second conversation]​Phoibus: Okay… where is he this time? *carefully hunting around, disguised again as the common dreamer soldier, this time with some fake scars and an eyepatch*

Dusk: ... Hmm... I wonder if there's any books about the history of Magvel around here...

Phoibus: *manages to overhear that and, with a voice that's pitched low* "I believe you need to look in this section, Grand General."

Dusk: ... I recognize that voice... *walks over to given direction* Alright; expose yourself...

Phoibus: "Huh. Your ears are good." *back to normal voice* "Hiya!"

Dusk: My senses are pretty amazing... "brother"... What brings you here?

Phoibus: "Well… I was just hanging around and decided to have a little talk about the ring my sister was wearing when she left to go talk to Mila before I go bug her."

Dusk: Oh yes... You know, I never offered it to her. I just chucked it in her direction and it fell onto her finger. She's the one who's kept it on

Phoibus: "Oh, good, I didn't miss a wedding. I'd be VERY angry at that. Particularly since I can only think of a handful of reasons why to rush one."

Dusk: One wedding's enough... Besides, *smirks* I wouldn't want my brother-in-law to miss it now, would I?.. But I'll bite, what reasons did you conjure up?

Phoibus: "You really never heard of the term 'crossbow wedding'?"

Dusk: ... I wasn't one for love, so no I haven't

​Phoibus: "Okay, so… when two people get a little hormone addled and decide to spend some intimate time together, and then the family finds out… well, let's just say that some overzealous fathers decide that the two get married, often with a crossbow as reinforcement. Get it?"

Dusk: I see... Last I checked, no father was shoving a crossbow in my face, so I don't see the need to get married... Although...

Phoibus: "Yes, yes. This was me confirming I hadn't missed something, not what your future plans are. …You'd better not die too soon on her. If you do, I will find your soul to punish you. Don't think I won't."

Dusk: Oh please, I don't plan on dying full stop. I know that she gets reborn every time she dies and eventually gets her old memories back, so I'm stuck with her forever. I plan on making the most out of this... And I'm sure you would... I can't understand you Phoibus, and I don't think I want to... *shrugs* But you're stuck with me until I die, so deal with it

​Phoibus: "…I hope you never do understand what it's like to constantly die and be brought back, with only one thing to look forward to. It's not a very happy existence. The only joy I have anymore is seeing Agrona happy. Nothing more. So, it is not 'stuck'. It's gratitude. I have never seen her this happy, and I know that her memory of you will keep her happy for a long, long time."

Dusk: ... It pleases me to hear you say such things... I promise on her and you that I will make her happy for as long as I breathing... And if I don't... consider my soul yours

Phoibus: "Good. Because that's what I'm taking if you fail." *turns away* "Anyway, I'm off to Mount Prism to check on something for the stupid Annas. Later." *leaves*

Dusk: ... What a confusing fellow... I think him and I need to discuss about things with a mug in our hands soon... Now where is that book?.. *searches* Oh, look at that. It is here... Thanks bro

Edited by Kat

[spoiler=Phoibus and Dusk]Phoibus: Hmm... *casually strolling around the camp, disguised as a common soldier for the Dreamers* Now, where would he be...? Ah, there was that girl who got caught in the wind trap. Maybe he'll be with her?

Dusk: Dusk was resting in the infirmary barely paying attention to the outside world. He then sees a common soldier walk into the infirmary. Lying in his bed he asks "Injured? I think the healers are busy, but if it's nothing major I should be able to help you out"

Phoibus: *smiling; his smile looks a lot like Kat's* "You are... Grand General Dusk?"

Dusk: Upon hearing that question he tilts his head slightly and squints his eyes at the soldier. "Ummm yes... You have a nice smile whoever you are. What's your name? I don't think I've seen you before"

Phoibus: Eh, I think you kicked my body off a roof, so I don't blame you for not remembering. But thank you for the compliment. I'm told it resembles Agrona's.

Dusk: "Kicked body off a roof? Going to have to be a bit more specific there buddy. Kudos for survi- wait did you say Agrona? That's..." Thinking about what he just said it sunk into his head who he was dealing with. He quickly jumped out of his head afterwards. "Phoibus! Why are you here?"

Phoibus: Huh. Didn't know she'd already told you about her old name. *laughs* And why? Isn't that obvious? I'm here to be the protective older brother on the guy interested in my dearest twin, of course.

Dusk: "I... I have no idea what you're on about. Why would you care about the feelings of the enemy? That's not very assassin-like of you"

Phoibus: Everyone and no one is my enemy, little brother. *grinning* Besides, the world would be very boring if we were all alike.

Dusk: "Okay now you're just annoying me. Say something meaningful or die where you stand!" [Dammit if I remember correctly the lad can't be killed... I got to think of something!]

Phoibus: If you want to kill me, you're going to have to kill Agrona. Oops, sorry, Kat. You're more used to that name. But, in a way, isn't it meaningful? *laughs* Everything has meaning. The difference lies in how you interpret it. Some guy I met 300 years ago told me that. I like it.

Dusk: "... You know I can't do that. Unlike some of the other members in this weird army she's one of the more beneficial ones at the moment... she has to live... she has to..."

Phoibus: Uh-huh. And this, of course, has nothing to do with your INCREDIBLY obvious crush on her. No worries. I don't blame you. My twin is lovely. She's captured many hearts over the years. *laughs again* Not often that she returns them, mind. Which leads me back to why I'm here. I need to be the overprotective big brother!

Dusk: "Calling your sister a vixen isn't exactly being a good big brother... but I can't argue with you though..." He sighs. *Hell, if you know then I wouldn't be surprised if the whole world knew... Mock me all you like; it isn't changing anything"

Phoibus: Did I say 'vixen'? I don't recall. Ah well. *shrug* Nah, I wasn't sure until I saw you two talking. ANYWAY, I was looking for you to tell you that if anything's left of you after you hurt Kat... well, there won't be when I get my hands on you. That's all. Have fun! Oh, but you should really have that demon-boy... what's his name...? Dragon? Anyway, you should have him play nurse for the girl here. Don't you think they'd look cute together? Almost as cute as that bride-girl with the ghost-boy or that damned bastard of a shadow. *pauses* Then again, there was that adorable conversation with you and that bride-girl... hmm, Agrona's never minded the ladies. Maybe you three could work something out?

Dusk: "... What the fuck? Is that all you do is spy on us?.. Actually that's a stupid question, never mind... But no. As much as the little boy inside me wants the "bride-girl" to be a part of this I'll have to say no... now are you finished, because I could make you a drink... I suppose I can't neglect my uhh, "brother-in-law" now can't I?" He smirks when he finishes that sentence

Phoibus: Shame, as it might've made my twin happier. Ah well. I'll have to say 'no', so that I can get to my second, far less important, order of business. *holds up a bunch of letters* I've been doing some information interference for you all, since you've been very busy lately, and I figured your commander here would like to know some of the ideas the Annas have been bouncing around. Later, little brother! *walks out, still disguised as a common Dreamer soldier*

Dusk: "Hmm... what an odd fellow... Must fun in the family... Heh, can't say I'm much different." *pauses* "Well he's off to find Sorin... guess I'll follow"

Edited by Kat

[spoiler=Kat and Phoibus]*setting - the roof of the Border Sands castle*

Kat: *resting on the roof, staring at the horizon*

Phoibus: *climbs up and holds up two pieces of cinnamon candy*

Kat: You have until I'm done eating.

Phoibus: Wow, longer than I expected. *sits down so that his back is resting against hers and drops the candy in her lap*

Kat: Where did you get this anyway? *slowly eating* It's been... Gods, Anri was still a kid when I last saw this treat.

Phoibus: Well, it wasn't easy. But I had to. Do you remember the last time we had some?

Kat: You'd stolen some from that vendor. Got in a bunch of trouble. We had to get bailed out, remember?

Phoibus: Yeah, that's the first time... we became assassins, wasn't it? Strange how often we become that.

Kat: It's the only thing we're good at.

Phoibus: I suppose.

Kat: Hey, why did you kill the queen?

Phoibus: She saw the demon. Contractual obligation.

Kat: Uh-huh. And Lucina was a mercy kill.

Phoibus: Yeah?

Kat: And you stopped because you saw two sets of big blue eyes staring at you.

Phoibus: ...I saw Tabby smiling at me as she died and couldn't do it. You know this.

Kat: Just confirming. *moving to the second piece of candy*

Phoibus: Hey, where did you take her son?

Kat: Ferox. Last place you'd check.

Phoibus: Damn right. I hate the cold.

Kat: I'm well aware of that.

Phoibus: You know... that Emperor Khan of theirs... looks like Tabitha.

Kat: It's been almost 200 years, Phoibus. Do you know how many descendants she has?

Phoibus: Yeah, yeah. But, he does. Of course... his DAUGHTER...

Kat: Quiet.

Phoibus: You didn't save her because she was a child about to die. You've had to stand to the side during so many battles that you've grown numb to it. You had to. Otherwise, you'd break again. What was that time you broke down crying? Cornelius's death at the Altean betrayal?

Kat: Phoibus.

Phoibus: Oh! And that Grust general that should've died. What was his name? Cam... something? You saved him, right? But then broke down because you couldn't save his memory until it was too late?

Kat: Do you want me to kick you off?

Phoibus: Fine, fine. I'm just saying. You saved that girl because she looked exactly like Tabitha.

Kat: Do you want to be kicked in the head or stomach?

Phoibus: *laughs* Neither, if you please.

Kat: Then shut up and let me eat the last of my candy.

Phoibus: Sure. *silent for just one second* Oh, hey, I talked to Dusk.

Kat: About?

Phoibus: Oh, you know, big brother stuff.

Kat: Ugh.

Phoibus: Also, I gave that Breezy fellow letters about the Anna whereabouts and plans.

Kat: That's nice of you.

Phoibus: Oh, and I sent them into a trap.

Kat: That's not.

Phoibus: Eh, they needed to face it sooner or later. It's more fun if it's sooner.

Kat: Whatever you claim. *eats the last of her candy* Your time's up.

Phoibus: Seems like it. I'll come with more next time.

Kat: Where did it come from, again?

Phoibus: I made them. Just for you. Later, little sister. *leaves*

Kat: ...Bye bye... big brother...

[spoiler=Kat and Dusk - Farewell before paralogue]Kat: "Okay, what all do I need…?" *navigating the convoy to pack* "Hmm…"

Dusk: *walks into Kat's room* "I'd help, but that convoy confuses about as much as your brother"

Kat: "Hey there." *glances at him* "You've… talked with Phoibus?"

Dusk: "Mhmm. Back in the desert just before the Manor of Lost Souls mission that I forgot to tell you about he spoke to me dressed as a common soldier... I don't understand him; and yet a part of me wants to"

Kat: *smiles* "I see."

Dusk: "I guess it's one of those mysterious I'll never know eh?.." *smiles back* "How are you anyway?"

Kat: "Mmm, I'm good. I think I know a way I can be better, though."

Dusk: *sniffs* "I smell a cliché coming..."

Kat: *pout* "What? I want you to kiss me. Is that too much to ask?"

Dusk: "Of course not" *cups hand near her cheek and kisses her*

Kat: *flushing but smiling* "See? Not so hard, right?"

Dusk: "Eh, I guess not... Sorry, it's still a bit awkward for me"

​Kat: "I know. It's okay. I'll just bug you about it." *smiles and returns to packing* "Let's see…"

Dusk: "Well that's not very nice "*peeps over her shoulder* "... That convoy is still as confusing as ever"

Kat: "Careful about moving. It's trapped."

Dusk: "I know. Finding a comb in there was one of the most daunting things I've ever done in my life..." [Wait a minute...]

Kat: "I knew you'd snuck into here. Bad. I need to think of a way to punish you for that."

Dusk: *sarcastic tone* "Really? Punishing? Bit old for that now, don't you think?"

Kat: "Oh, but it could be fun. A little bit of teasing goes a long way."

Dusk: "Teasing, eh? Careful with what you say Kat; a man's mind isn't as clean as a woman's"

Kat: "Who said I didn't mean something… unclean by it?"

Dusk: "Uhh..." *raises muffler* "... Oh my?"

Kat: *grins* "You're easy to tease."

Dusk: "You ARE a tease!..You're so cruel..."

Kat: ​"Aw… will a hug make it better?"

Dusk: *smilies, but can't be seen due to muffler* "A hug from you makes anything better"

Kat: "Is that so?" *hugs him* "Sorry you can't come with me this time."

Dusk: "I wish I could, but my status demands otherwise..." *lowers muffler and sighs* "... Do you know how long you're going to be gone for?"

Kat: "Well, it'll be a few days to get to Mount Prism, so…"

Dusk: "I see..." *tightens hug* "... I'm going to miss you, you know that right?"

Kat: "I know." *taps his nose* "No wandering eyes while I'm away. You know Sorin likes me more than he likes you. He'll tattle."

Dusk: "I won't give him a reason to tattle..." *blinks every time she taps his nose* "Oh... not... again..."

Kat: *frowns* "Again?"

Dusk: "You aren't the first to realise that tapping my nose irritates me"

Kat: ​*grins* "Oh? Hmm… maybe you'd like tickling instead?"

Dusk: "Do you?"

Kat: "Mmm, depends. If I'm the tickler, sure. I tend to reach for the knives when I'm the victim, though, so I'm not sure I'd recommend it. I rather like you without some blades stuck in you."

Dusk: "What?" *grins* "You mean these knives; the ones I snuck from you during our little embrace?"

Kat: "I mean the one in my shirt, silly." *grins* "Girls have a very convenient place to hide things, you know. But props to stealing those. I didn't even notice. Want a reward for that now or later?"

Dusk: "Curses! The one place a man can't touch... As for a reward though..." *grins, before briefly glancing at the bed* "... Well... surprise me!"

Kat: *kisses him* "Maybe you'll get a better one when I get back. I need to pack, you know, and you're being horribly distracting."

Dusk: "I came to help y'know... You ain't chucking me aside that easily"

Kat: "No, because you might see my gift and I don't wanna give it to you yet."

Dusk: "Damn you presents... Fine" *kisses Kat* "... I'll see you once you get back, okay?"

Kat: "I'll even greet you with a kiss, if you want. Now, shoo. You're too distracting."

Dusk: "Ain't no rest for the wicked... Goodbye, Agrona" *walks out*

Kat: ​… *smiles slightly* "Well, it's not so bad, hearing that name from him." *returns to her packing, glancing at her present to Dusk* "Good thing I hid this. Would've spoiled the surprise completely."

[spoiler=Kat and Dusk - Talk about Sorin]Kat: *hunting around* "Okay, he mentioned a hammock so…" *catches sight of him* "There we go."

Dusk: He didn't hear Kat, as he had fallen asleep on his hammock, with his fedora over his face and hands under his head

Kat: *walks up* "Still asleep, huh? Hmm… now to be nice or mean…?" *grins and steals his fedora*

Dusk: His eyes tighten due to them being exposed to sunlight. After a moment or so he wakes up, confused. "... Muh? Where di-" He notices Kat with his fedora in hand. "Oh ha ha. Very funny"

Kat: "I thought so." *puts on the fedora* "Well, how do I look?"

Dusk: He smiles. "Honestly? Bias aside, you look really cute"

Kat: "Thank you!" *winks* "But we do really need to talk about your antagonism towards Sorin."

Dusk: He sighs. "If we must..."

Kat: "Yes, we must. Because of that… WONDERFUL display in front of the new recruit tells me that it's gone too far."

Dusk: "Like I said, he agitated me. He insulted my past and our relationship. How could you expect me not to react the way I did?"

Kat: "I'm talking about before then, Dusk."

Dusk: "What?.. Oh, right. I'm sorry, but he just annoys me... He's also fun to tease"

Kat: "Well, why? Not the teasing part, I agree with that." *sits down on the ground* "But the annoying part."

Dusk: "He's stuck in some fantasy world, he has no idea about leadership, thinks he's better than me when he isn't..." He thinks for a moment. "To be honest, I think his most noticeable achievement since he's been here is falling unconscious in the middle of the battle due to a spike trap. He's a kid that needs to be taught respect"

Kat: "And did you ever stop to think that maybe his so-called 'thinking he's better' was more to just get you to accept him? Or that his fantasy world might be him trying to make sense of the fact that he's been dragged from another world all together, when his pregnant wife needs him?"

Dusk: "Why would he want to "accept" me? I've gone no intention of doing so, and I doubt he has too." He thinks for a moment. "As for his fantasy world; have you heard some of the stuff he comes out with? "Purgatorial Ignis" this and "Purigon" that. Alright, if it wasn't so noticeable then maybe it wouldn't bother me, but it sounds like the kid's delusional to me"

Kat: "Again, I'm more or less immortal, and you accept that just fine."

Dusk: "And yet again, Phoibus is proof enough. I chucked his dead body off the roof of Ylisstol and he spoke to me in person within the following weeks"

Kat: "So, how can you believe that, and then not him? Is it because you can't see it?"

Dusk: He gets up so he's sitting on his hammock with his legs out. "Perhaps... I mean, if I saw Purigon, then I'd probably believe it"

Kat: "I'm not sure if that's possible anymore, though." *sigh* "Sorin is really working too hard. He's such child, thinking that he has to push himself at all times in order to become stronger, without realizing that all he's doing is breaking apart. But because of that, he doesn't need arguments. Teasing, sarcasm, perhaps, but arguments and antagonism does nothing but harm. It teaches no lessons; it only breaks apart a fragile little boy and an even more fragile army that's desperately trying to find the light in the tunnel and hoping that light isn't from an elfire poised to swallow it up."

Dusk: He thought about what Kat said for a few moments. [Hmm... There's definitely some merits in her argument... Maybe I have been a tad harsh on him?] "... Alright, fine. I'll try to keep my antagonising down as much as possible. But let me say this; if he ever insults our relationship or my past ever again, then I can't promise you my fist won't be buried in his face"

Kat: *dryly* "I have a sneaking suspicion that the insulting was the whole 'over protective brother' thing." *smiles softly* "I think for the good of the army, you need to try. If he DOES bring out the insults, well… why not send him to me, actually? I'll give him a lecture from hell."

Dusk: "Because "big brothers" outright state that their "little brother" is a complete failure of a leader. You know how sensitive I am about that specific part of my past..." He exhales through his nose heavily. "... But I guess I will send him to you. Perhaps he does need to be taught with words, and not by a fist in face"

Kat: "I'll get on him about that. That was a low blow, and shouldn't have been said. But for now…" *grins* "I think I need to give you that 'I'm home' kiss, don't I?"

Dusk: He grins back at her. "Heh..." He stands up and cups his hand around her right cheek. "I've missed you, you know that?"

Kat: "Oh, it hasn't been all THAT long, Dusk. But, maybe I should make it up to you?"

Dusk: "... Maybe you should" With his free hand, he tilts the fedora down a bit. "... What? I've always wanted to do that"

Kat: *laughs* "No worries. But it DOES kinda block me."

Dusk: He grins at her. "Well then... Perhaps you should do something about it?"

Kat: "Maybe. Hold still…"

Dusk: "... Oh!"

Edited by Kat

[spoiler=Phoibus and Dusk]Phoibus: Hmm... *casually strolling around the camp, disguised as a common soldier for the Dreamers* Now, where would he be...? Ah, there was that girl who got caught in the wind trap. Maybe he'll be with her?

Dusk: Dusk was resting in the infirmary barely paying attention to the outside world. He then sees a common soldier walk into the infirmary. Lying in his bed he asks "Injured? I think the healers are busy, but if it's nothing major I should be able to help you out"

Phoibus: *smiling; his smile looks a lot like Kat's* "You are... Grand General Dusk?"

Dusk: Upon hearing that question he tilts his head slightly and squints his eyes at the soldier. "Ummm yes... You have a nice smile whoever you are. What's your name? I don't think I've seen you before"

Phoibus: Eh, I think you kicked my body off a roof, so I don't blame you for not remembering. But thank you for the compliment. I'm told it resembles Agrona's.

Dusk: "Kicked body off a roof? Going to have to be a bit more specific there buddy. Kudos for survi- wait did you say Agrona? That's..." Thinking about what he just said it sunk into his head who he was dealing with. He quickly jumped out of his head afterwards. "Phoibus! Why are you here?"

Phoibus: Huh. Didn't know she'd already told you about her old name. *laughs* And why? Isn't that obvious? I'm here to be the protective older brother on the guy interested in my dearest twin, of course.

Dusk: "I... I have no idea what you're on about. Why would you care about the feelings of the enemy? That's not very assassin-like of you"

Phoibus: Everyone and no one is my enemy, little brother. *grinning* Besides, the world would be very boring if we were all alike.

Dusk: "Okay now you're just annoying me. Say something meaningful or die where you stand!" [Dammit if I remember correctly the lad can't be killed... I got to think of something!]

Phoibus: If you want to kill me, you're going to have to kill Agrona. Oops, sorry, Kat. You're more used to that name. But, in a way, isn't it meaningful? *laughs* Everything has meaning. The difference lies in how you interpret it. Some guy I met 300 years ago told me that. I like it.

Dusk: "... You know I can't do that. Unlike some of the other members in this weird army she's one of the more beneficial ones at the moment... she has to live... she has to..."

Phoibus: Uh-huh. And this, of course, has nothing to do with your INCREDIBLY obvious crush on her. No worries. I don't blame you. My twin is lovely. She's captured many hearts over the years. *laughs again* Not often that she returns them, mind. Which leads me back to why I'm here. I need to be the overprotective big brother!

Dusk: "Calling your sister a vixen isn't exactly being a good big brother... but I can't argue with you though..." He sighs. *Hell, if you know then I wouldn't be surprised if the whole world knew... Mock me all you like; it isn't changing anything"

Phoibus: Did I say 'vixen'? I don't recall. Ah well. *shrug* Nah, I wasn't sure until I saw you two talking. ANYWAY, I was looking for you to tell you that if anything's left of you after you hurt Kat... well, there won't be when I get my hands on you. That's all. Have fun! Oh, but you should really have that demon-boy... what's his name...? Dragon? Anyway, you should have him play nurse for the girl here. Don't you think they'd look cute together? Almost as cute as that bride-girl with the ghost-boy or that damned bastard of a shadow. *pauses* Then again, there was that adorable conversation with you and that bride-girl... hmm, Agrona's never minded the ladies. Maybe you three could work something out?

Dusk: "... What the fuck? Is that all you do is spy on us?.. Actually that's a stupid question, never mind... But no. As much as the little boy inside me wants the "bride-girl" to be a part of this I'll have to say no... now are you finished, because I could make you a drink... I suppose I can't neglect my uhh, "brother-in-law" now can't I?" He smirks when he finishes that sentence

Phoibus: Shame, as it might've made my twin happier. Ah well. I'll have to say 'no', so that I can get to my second, far less important, order of business. *holds up a bunch of letters* I've been doing some information interference for you all, since you've been very busy lately, and I figured your commander here would like to know some of the ideas the Annas have been bouncing around. Later, little brother! *walks out, still disguised as a common Dreamer soldier*

Dusk: "Hmm... what an odd fellow... Must fun in the family... Heh, can't say I'm much different." *pauses* "Well he's off to find Sorin... guess I'll follow"

thanks bb.

@Marf: Mind cutting out the quotes from those and just slapping spoiler tags on the second one? When I go to quote and put them in the OP, they all vanish.

[spoiler=Kat thinking]*Lounging in the girl's bath, thinking* "Duty before all else. Yes, I know that. I know that better than most. Every time I tried to do something for myself, it only ended in pain. Why did I need to be reminded of it?"

"​Because you're hopeless?"

"I'm not even going to ask how in all the hells you got into here, Phoibus."

"Yeah, yeah, Agrona. There's a skylight. Too easy. Soap?"

*Takes it* "What are you doing here? And no peeking."

"We're twins. We used to take baths together."

"THAT was a long time ago."

"You just don't want a guy not named Dusk see you naked."

"…"

"Hit the nail on the head!" *laughs*

"What are you doing here? Don't you have a job to do? I was trying to THINK, damn it."

"I felt you crying, so I came to see who I needed to kill. Should it be the leader here who has you fretting? The people who thought so low of that demon-boy that they honestly thought he'd been moping for a week? That horse-archer with a lusting for death that nearly crippled your Dusk? Dusk himself, for being stupidly heroic?"

"I don't want you killing any of them. I don't want them to die."

"They all will. In the time it takes us to blink, graves fill up, cities and countries fall, and there are new faces where there should be familiar ones."

"I know that. I think we've learned this by now. So, I don't want them to die SOONER. If I want you to kill anyone, it's the Annas."

"Which one first?"

"I'm not interfering with your job. Won't he-?"

"Doma can die in a fire."

​"Says the person who made a contract with him."

"Yeah, yeah. So, which one first?"

​"…I want… can you shake them up? Even further, I mean. I… don't want them to just DIE."

"Suffering? Sure, I can do that." *kisses the top of her head* "I'll leave before your boyfriend or that demon-boy starts wondering why there's a guy's voice in here."

"Thanks, Phoibus." *Hears him leave* "Now, I think I can go back to my QUIET time." *sighs* "Damn twin, always in my head." *sinks into the water* "Stupid everyone. This is why I shouldn't get involved in things like this. I just get driven insane. …Maybe… maybe I SHOULD leave…" *contemplates as she continues to soak*

[spoiler=Kat's musings - A] So, let's see. Where is the knot in my thoughts? I've gotten my crying out of the way now, so it's time to just calm down and think.

​The first is that I haven't been very helpful lately. No rallies, no infirmary… any fights that's I've participated in have been either away from the main group or while blacked out drunk. Not exactly a good record. All I've done lately is scold and yell and whine… who wants to listen to something like that?

Then there's Phoibus. He's worried about me and he goes out of his way to make the others angry or miserable when he's around. The only one he's decent with is Dusk, and I know it's only because I love him. So long as I stay, Phoibus will likely appear and rile everyone up. That's… not very good for the army.

Then there's how emotionally attached I'm getting to people here. Am I really up for opening myself for more pain? Again? The last time I did, life had to brutally remind me that I was supposed to be neutral. Everything involving Poly lately… seems to be reminding me of that. If I keep showing preference, will more suffer for it? I don't know… Still, I'm not sure I really want to let them go either.

So, what do I need to do? What will be best for the Dreamers?

[spoiler=Kat's thoughts - B] Sorin claims that I help, but I don't see it. Yes, there are bonds, but bonds aren't necessarily enough. Duty above all else. What would be best for the Dreamers? Would it be best if I left or best if I stayed? Sorin, Dan, and Shadow claim that it's best for me to stay, but I'm… not so sure.

​No rallies. No one uses the convoy. And, to be honest, those are really the only things that I, alone, can do. I mean; Yuffie can lecture as good as the next person. And crack jokes too, which I… haven't done so much of lately. I don't see myself as so needed here. Just another soldier. And while they're are few soldiers, I'm not so certain that I'm balancing out the problems I bring…

[spoiler=Kat's Thoughts - C] There's also Mila. She'd much prefer me being neutral and, really, didn't things turn out better in the long run when I did. Ugh, just look at that incident with Camus. If I hadn't intervened, then maybe he would've been found before Nyna married Hardin and… well, look how that ended up. …Wait a… ugh! That stupid mirror's messing with my thoughts, isn't it? Argh. Maybe I should just find Dusk and kiss him or something. I'm getting nowhere like this.

[spoiler=Phoibus and Rosaline conversation]Rosaline: Any minute now... [/sits on the rail of one of the balconies, looking down at the ground below] Finally.

Phoibus: *waves up at her* "You called me too soon, milady. I was unable to find a rose to match your grace!"

Rosaline: Phoiby! [/hops down from the balcony with a thud, brushing off the dust before straightening up again] What brings you by? Checking on your investment?

Phoibus: A small bird whispered a sweet tune that you might need my assistance. True or false? I live to serve you.

Rosaline: Well, company's always nice. And yeah, I'd like this to go off without a hitch, for your help is most obliged.

Phoibus: Merely tell me what you need, milady. As far as I can see, everything should go according to plan, but is there something in particular you want?

Rosaline: Honestly? I don't care who wins this particular battle. What are the numbers for Anna Theresa's troops anyway?

Phoibus: Including herself? I counted 107. I would suggest, milady, that you wait closer to the ships during the battle. Let the Dreamers take the brunt of the damage. Many would weep if you were injured.

Rosaline: 107 versus... Well. They're SORELY outnumbered. Good idea, although you flatter me too much. The only person who would have cried over my death was blown up.

Phoibus: Ah, but I would. The thought of you being injured… it's enough to bring tears right now! *smiles* I would not underestimate them. If numbers were enough, then Michel would've already won.

Rosaline: You tease. You're just saying that! [/scoffs] Oh, I am well aware of THAT. And that's only because half the Annas she controls aren't even living things anymore.

Phoibus: Milady, you wound me so! I never just SAY anything; I pick my words with great care. *sighs but then appears to remember something* Ah, did I inform you of the tragedy at Mount Prism, milady? All of the prisms have been destroyed, and the newborns… I dare not speak of the horrors that befell them before their untimely deaths.

Rosaline: If you say so, Phoiby, but I never said I didn't believe you. [/smiles] ... Wait, how where they destroyed? There's no bloody way Michel could have gotten there to...how.

​Phoibus: Nor would I think even Michel could be so… psychotic in her killings. If I had to guess, perhaps your sister who has dabbled in necromancy? That dangerous line of magic almost always warps the mind. We need only look at the tragic tales of Nergal and Lyon to see that. If not her, though… perhaps...

Rosaline: As sick as her magic is, Aimee wouldn't hurt a fly. But you sound like you have an idea in mind... what is it?

​Phoibus: As per your instructions, milady, I have been keeping an eye of Theresa and… frankly, milady, some of her recent behavior has been quite… disturbing. She jumps at noises that no one else can hear, for instance.

Rosaline: You don't think she would have... no. Theresa's a good girl, nothing would cause her to... Margeaux. Margeaux. She's been absolutely crushed... you don't think she's going off the deep end entirely do you?

Phoibus: It's possible, though I am no expert. But, Lady Margeaux was quite kind and gentle, and Theresa has been under so much stress due to Michel's… actions of late. *shudders* I have seen quite some disturbing letters from Michel of late, the few that even make it. Many, many messengers have been killed recently.

Rosaline: That explains why it's so difficult to stay in touch with her. Phoibus. [/squares her shoulders and tips her head back, thinking] She could go on a complete... rampage. And Aimee was supposed to be there to check on her too, if she snaps and kills Aimee... alright. Worst case scenario is that Theresa kills Aimee, doesn't kill Michel, kills all the Dreamers. We have to ensure at the very least one of those things doesn't happen. ... Question is, which one?

​Phoibus: …With all due respect, milady, it is most important, I think, to ensure that the Dreamers survive, if it is to be debated. It isn't often that you find such capable pawns. *smiles* If you would like, though, I can… arrange that Aimee's ship must return to the dock, thus sparing her?

Rosaline: Excellent point. And if we want Michel's latest demon-spawn Serena gone, I'd definitely need to employ their services again. And that... that would be lovely, Phoiby, thank you.

Phoibus: *smiling* Then I best be on my way to make sure they're intercepted. Perhaps I shall find that rose for you on the way.

Rosaline: [/smiles] Be careful then, okay? And I'll be waiting for that rose!

Phoibus: I'm always careful, milady. Fear not! I shall see you in the port with that rose! *leaves*

Rosaline: Yeah... kind hope he does, actually…

[spoiler=Klotho] ​She steps carefully as she wanders about the strange city. There are old corpses, wrinkled and dried like old paper, scattered throughout the rubble. Something big happened here. Something disastrous. She wonders if she knew about it. She wonders if she'd even heard it.

"Whoa, almost didn't see you." There's another person here. A strange looking woman with green and blue eyes dressed as an assassin, but having the demeanor of a priestess. The woman smiles, but it doesn't reach those too old eyes. "You look like a ghost, little one." She's aware of that. She can see her reflection in the shattered windows and glass nearby. White hair, white rags that serve as clothes, too pale skin… the only color she has is in her silver eyes. "Didn't think anyone would be here in Ylisstol. I was just here to pay respects." Ylisstol? An odd name. Is it the name of this broken city?

"I'm just wandering," she whispers. That's all she can do. Wander. Walk. Until her feet bleed and her legs crack.

"Well, still an odd place to wander." The strange woman isn't deterred at all. "Hey, I'm called Kat. Who are you?"

That's the question, really. She's not sure. Her name, her age, her home… they're all gone. Just shards of broken memories, to small to ever be collected, to small to ever be mended. There's only one thing. One shard that is big enough to have any sort of meaning. However...

"There is a name in my head," she whispers. "I don't know if it's mine, though. Can I use it?"

"I don't see why not." The strange woman's words are light and carefree. "A name's just a name. Just because someone else has it doesn't mean you're less 'you', right?" Perhaps. "So, what's your name?"

​"…Klotho. Call me Klotho."

Edited by Kat

[spoiler='Phoibus after Rosaline's death]As the Dreamers begin fighting the Annas, Phoibus jumps down from his perch and makes his way to Rosaline's body. "My sister is right, you know," he whispers as he lays a single, perfect rose on the corpse and gathers it up in his arms. "You chose to trust the wrong person. My sister and I… we're playing a game, you see. A chess game with three sides to accomplish what others cannot. The rogue pawn… is one to be sacrificed, as it will never reach the other side to become more powerful." He gently kisses her forehead. "A shame, it is. I did like you. But your goals conflicted mine, and I was the craftier one of us." He glances to the fighting, smiles bitterly, and turns away. "It's okay, though. I found a place where wild roses grow, far more beautiful than what could be cultivated in a garden. I'll take you there, among flowers that match your grace and beauty." He walks off, sparing only a brief glance to the fighters. "Well, Agrona? The next move is yours." With those words, he leaves the port, already planning the lies he'd weave to keep his chosen pawns - the Annas - in the dark.

[spoiler=Kat after Theresa's death]She closes her eyes and listens to the gentle crashing of the waves. She casts her thoughts to the side and then picks them up, one by one, to examine them. "So, Jxemas was talking of 'heaven's game'? A shame, but that game no longer exists. The goddess who blesses has been twisted. Mila and Doma lost the gamble and now… now Phoibus and I are picking up the fallen pieces." She opens her eyes again to see a ship in the distance, sailing off to Valm. "Looks like Phoibus has managed to convince them that Theresa and Rosaline have killed each other in combat. I wonder what lie he spun. That was always his strong point. He never was a fighter." She glances back to the others, conversing lightly amidst the dying city, the decaying enemies, the drying blood. "Phoibus chose the pawns, but I chose the others. This game is one we cannot afford to lose." She looks back to the horizon, seeing something that no one else could. "Check, my dear fool. What'll be your next move?" Smiling softly, she turns from the ocean to rejoin the others. Her… her family that she would protect with everything she had. No longer pieces to treat kindly. True and beautiful friends who had become her dearest people.

Edited by Kat

Oh man, I kinda forgot just how much I've got for Ace alone. I have her backstory saved as a word document, but the rest of the stuff gradually revealing her powers, brand and the like might take me a bit to dig up.

And there's her twin Alicia.

Anything left regarding Marth and his existance have only been mentioned in idle conversation, save for that one time, along with his supports with Silvia and Mount Prism. I should write up some more things.

Actually, Marth's entire paralogue IS character development. I don't think I'd want to just dump it in here

Edited by Hero-King

[spoiler=Joining the bandwagon]After his argument with Sorin and Shadow he walked away from them and found a small broken wall around 3ft tall made of stone. Must've been from a house or some other sort of building he didn't care. Propping Glaedyr up on the wall he sat next next to her resting on the wall. Ever since he came back to Ylisstol he hadn't had much think to think to himself. A person needs to be alone every now and then, but Dusk needed it more than most right now

Why was he third in charge? He never understood how Sorin became leader and Carter, admittedly, was a known tactician so he couldn't argue there. Hell, he even got along with her every now and then. But him being third in charge? Granted he had had experience leading before but he believed that every time he took lead somebody got injured, Glaedyr being an example of this and him in the first ever battle protecting Ylisstol. His arm still hadn't recovered since then. After excessive use it was just suddenly pack in and cease functioning. He has been doing the exercises Yuffie told him to do but nothing seemed to be working. He thought to himself sooner or later he'd having to give in to pain and stop using his bow. Thinking about that put him into brief solace though. If he was fighting most of the time he was leading too, and that hurt the people near him... [Maybe I should stop fighting...]

Looking at Glaedyr he nearly broke a tear. She's like this now because of him. If only he saw the trap then she'd be alright and he'd still be in Border Sands with the others... with Kat...

This was the first one I did

Dusk, I posted the Phoibus and Dusk conversations already, so no need to worry about that.

Aye, I did notice. Thank you

I've got the Matthew one to do too, although I don't really think that was character development

Seeing how I had to floor to start my story, I began to speak.

[spoiler=Ace's backstory part one]

“To begin, I was born to Mira Maiden of the Dawn Goddess Ashunera and Validar, leader of the Grimleal cult. I may not have remembered it until recently, but I was the first born twin girl. When our father learned of the powers Alicia and I carried in our blood, he attempted to end our lives. That was when Mira took us and Grima’s heiress, Christine and fled from our father and the Grimleal, giving my twin sister Alicia to my uncle to raise as his own child to avoid my father’s eye. We moved around a lot back then to escape from our father’s loyal followers.

Eventually, we lived in peace, Christine, my younger cousin, my mother and I in a small village near the border between Ylisse and Ferox. That was often shattered however by my awakened powers. Whenever I got angry or upset and there was enough Chaos around me, I’d attack any people around me and stain my hands red with blood. Because of these violent fits of rage, people began labeling me a Demon Child because whenever this would happen, my eyes would turn deep red…red like blood. I struggled to control my seemlying fearsome powers, but I would fail and as a result the people around me had to suffer for it.

I became very withdrawn and nearly depressed since no one around me wanted to be near me for fear of the Demon Child, until hope came in the form of the captain of the village guards. Somehow, he understood my pain of feeling like a demonic monster no one wanted to be around.

Young Ace: *upset and crying* “Who’s…there? LEAVE NOW! I’m a Demon Child!”

Guard Captain: “Calm down, young child. I don’t see a Demon. I see a young child, full of promise, born with an unimaginable power.”

Young Ace: “You’re just saying that. I’ve beaten up people…until they no longer move…I’m a Demon Child, everyone calls me that.”

Guard Captain: “Child, listen to me. When people don’t understand something, they fear it since they don’t understand it very well.”

Young Ace: “………” *cries again*

Guard Captain: “Don’t cry, young child. I don’t fear you or think of you as a Demon Child. I know from personal experience what it’s like to be feared by many, for many in battle labeled me a Demon for I’m stronger than most ordinary men.”

Young Ace: “…Really? *looks up* They called you a Demon too, mister?”

Guard Captain: “Yes, because normally exceptionally strong men like me are very rare. Oh, I should introduce myself. My name is Captain Zane Thurman. What is your name?”

Young Ace: “…Ace Tactician.”

Captain Zane: “Ace Tactician…I take it you read about battle tactics a lot?”

Young Ace: “…Yeah.”

Captain Zane: “Would you be interested in learning how to use a sword, young Ace?”

Young Ace: *gets angry* “Why?! Why would you teach me how to inflict more pain on people?! I can’t control my powers! I always fail trying to stop from hurting people.”

Captain Zane: “You can also put that power to use to defend those you love and care about. Like your mother, Mira of the Dawn, and your cousin Christine. Every gift has its dark side, and also a light side. You just haven’t found out how to put your gift to use yet.” *thinking* (Based on the fact that she was able to injure grown men and indiscriminately attacked those around her when upset or angry and in environments with enough Chaos in them, she’s the Heiress of Yune, Goddess of Chaos. So Mira, where’s Ashera’s Heiress? Why did you separate them? If Ashera’s Heiress was here, Ace’s power and hers would balance each other, and these rage fits wouldn't happen so frequently…)

Young Ace: “……Are you sure, Captain Zane? All I do is cause pain…and death.”

Captain Zane: *snapped out of his thoughts* “In due time, young Ace. I’m confident that someday, you’ll be able to protect your loved ones and turn the tides of many battles. You’re young, you still have time to learn how to control your powers. I have a few suggestions that may help with that, but first I’d like to see what your strengths are. Is that okay with you, Ace?”

Young Ace: *thinking about it* “…………yeah.”

[spoiler=Ace's backstory part two]

Captain Zane tested me to see which areas would suit me the most, and I discovered I excelled with Blades and Tomes the most. At only age 9, I began training to use magic tomes though I still only believed all I could do was destroy things, so Captain Zane had me train with Staff users learning how to use magic for harming instead of healing. It took me a while to realize that just like how magic could be used for both helping and hurting, my powers could do the same thing as magic. My progress with blade and tome shocked everyone, even Captain Zane who in time I came to think of as a father figure. Eventually, Christine came to hold the same view as I. Perhaps it was because of this friendly bond that my mother, Mira decided to stay here rather than move again like she would have done by that point normally. And it was also there that I met the young man who would eventually become my best friend, Gaius. He liked sweets, especially my mother’s Raspberry bars. Every time he dropped by my house, he would always ask my mother if she had any Raspberry bars around. And if she did, he’d try to steal one of two, though often he would be met by my mother who often was up at dawn’s first light which coincidentally was the color of her hair.

When I turned 15 however, my mother was captured and ultimately killed by Grimleal members…trying to protect me.

Teen Ace: *entering* “You dastards! Release my mother!”

Grimleal 1: “Sorry lass, our boss wants this woman and her family dead.”

Grimleal 2: “We’re the Grimleal! No one leaves the cult unless their dead!”

Mira: *to Ace* “Ace! Take Christine and flee this village! This is it for me, I’ve ran away and he found me here!”

Teen Ace: “Who mother? Who found you? Tell me so I can go after him!”

Mira: “A man hired by your father! Now go Ace before…”

Grimleal 1: *interrupting* “Time to die, Mira of the Dawn!”

My mother and I then fought against the Grimleal members, mother and daughter felling all who dared face us, though the cult members were tougher than they looked. Our weapons wearing thin, our endurance slipping from us, I remember how I got careless and didn’t realize I was in the path of a sniper, how my mother panicked and pushed me out of his way, how she took the arrow in my place, the look of pain on her face as she tried to shake it off and fight on, how in the end…she was slain before my very eyes. How the sound of the axe rang out as it broke her bones, the blood that splashed onto my face as she fell in front of me. How I could do nothing to save her, as she lay dying in my arms, gasping for breath and the pained looks that crossed her face as the life left her broken body.

Teen Ace: “NO! MOTHER! PLEASE! DON’T LEAVE ME, I STILL NEED YOU! MOOOOOOTHER!!!” *cries loudly while holding her mother’s body*

Grimleal 3: “You’re next, Ace Tactician! You should have listened to your mother!”

As the cult member approached me, I stood up, looking at my mother’s corpse, my anger and pure, utter despair rising up, the red fog that enveloped my vision, Arcfire tome in hand. I turned around and screamed out, “YOU DASTARDS KILLED MY MOTHER! NOW YOU WILL PERISH IN THE FLAMES OF HELL!” And I lost it completely, causing a massive Arcfire spell that killed every last cult member present. And I walked away unharmed with my mother’s body while screaming was heard behind me. I still wanted to kill, to vent my despair and pain upon whoever it was that hounded my mother and wanted her, my sister and myself dead. One of Captain Zane’s men had informed him about my mother’s death, how I burned all those cult members alive while I walked out carrying her body with deep red pupiless eyes. It took Gaius, Christine and Captain Zane to bring me back to my senses.

(I have more typed out, though I have to go to work today and I'll be on my phone around 2:30pm so here's part three.)

[spoiler=Ace's backstory part three]

After my mother’s funeral, I managed to talk Gaius into taking Christine and myself with him. I convinced him it would be what my mother would want, for me and Christine to keep moving through the country. Seeing how she told me to take Christine and flee before she died. At age 18, three years of traveling around with a thief not only did I learn more things about battles and the world but I also gained some mastery over my powers to stop the rage fits. There were some times I ended up regretting but for the first time since my mother died, I was content to be a traveler. After two more years of being traveling mercenaries, a job went wrong and Christine and I became separated from Gaius, who had promised at our mother’s funeral to look after us in her stead. To fulfill her final wishes, who had become my best friend and Christine’s. We wandered around in search of the man known as ‘Sticky-Fingers Gaius’ for who knows how long until one day Christine suddenly fainted in the daylight. I stayed up for days and nights, not daring to go to sleep until I too passed out from hunger and exhaustion.

The people who found us by the side of the road outside of Southtown, and took us in were the Shepherds lead by Prince Chrom. As if by fate, we found Gaius again during an attack on Ylisstol to kill Exalt Emmeryn and he joined our side during the battle. Although sweets had to be involved, just like with my mother and her Raspberry bars. Just like then, Gaius still managed to stay true to the words he spoke at my mother’s funeral to look after Christine and myself. At one point, I found myself caught between conflicting feelings of wanting to search out my mother’s killer or staying with the Shepherds and forgetting about my revenge. Many times I had considered leaving after the defeat of Mad King Gangrel to resume my search, sometimes because I wanted to flee from my own feelings when it seemed my past reputation would render me forever alone even though I had friends who didn’t care about my past. Other times because I didn’t want to bear the pain of having loved and not having my feelings returned. As if fate had somehow decided to help me choose my path since I was often unsure of what to choose, Gaius one night played a joke on me by setting me up on a blind date with Chrom. He even went so far as to pretend we had just met for the first time, although that day I had a slight feeling something was different since he didn’t strike me as the shipper type. When the day of Mad King Gangrel’s defeat came in the battlefields of Plegia, Chrom and I married.

A year after Gangrel’s defeat, right on the day he fell, Chrom held a special dinner. Present were Chrom, myself, Gaius, Christine, Cordelia, Frederick and my little daughter, Lucina who at the time was still a baby, almost at infant stage. During the dinner, an outrealm gate opened up. By some unknown force of gravity, Lucina was pulled out of my arms and towards the gate and everyone else around me present. Before I could act to save my child, Gaius had already slide across the dinner table, grasped little Lucina from being separated from her parents at such a young age and handed her back to me at the cost of his own safety from the gravitational force pulling him in. At the idea of losing another person dear to me, I tried to save him, handing baby Lucina to Chrom and attempting to rescue Gaius from being pulled in. But it was futile as we were both pulled through the gate and found ourselves outside a desolate, ruined fortress, right into an Anna ambush.

[spoiler=Ace's backstory, final part]

With weapons in hand, we fought as hard as we could against Anna’s of all sorts. Some human and others not entirely human at all. Against seemlying hopeless, endless odds we pushed the limits of our endurance, the limits of our weapons themselves in the pouring rain that turned the ground to mud. How when the apparent leader of the ambush, Anna Clarisse appeared with a lance in hand we clashed blades against her and her sisters. And then…in a moment where I had my back turned to an Anna ambush from behind me, it happened in a flash.

Gaius: *Panicked* “Fury! Look out!” I felt him push me out of the way of a charge of Anna’s lead by Anna Clarisse as all their weapons made sickening, awful noises of breaking bones and muscles, as his blood spilled out and landed on my face…just like my mother when she died before my eyes.

Ace: *panicked and shouting* “GAIUS!! NO!! DON’T DIE! PLEASE!! DON’T YOU DARE LEAVE ME HERE!!”

Gaius: *gasping for breath and dying* “Fu…ry…*coughs* Ru…n…ru…n…fr..om..th…is…pl..ace.”

Ace: “NO! I’m not leaving you here to die like this! You’re still a Shepherd! You’re…my best friend! What about the promise my mother at her funeral?!”

Gaius: *Picturing Ace’s mother with a tray of Raspberry bars as he dies* “Mira…of…th..e dawn…I…can…not…wa…tch..yo.. ur children…any..more…For…give..me…Can…I…hav…e…a…rasp…berry….ba…r…”

I felt Gaius’s body become cold, his breathing slowly ceasing as he gasped for air, the looks of pain he wore before finally dying on the wet, cold ground with lances and swords stuck through him. I stood there in the rain, my feelings hitting me full force. Anger, sadness, rage, despair, loneliness. My best friend and other mentor figure was dead, and I couldn’t save him or my mother. I again felt the red fog come over my vision as I took the forged Killing Edge stuck in his body in hand with tears running down my eyes, the very ground pulsing with pure Chaos as I slowly repeated, “You killed him, you killed him,” before my hair band broke and my hair billowed around my head and I screamed upon facing the Annas, “YOU KILLED MY BEST FRIEND! FOR YOUR CRIME I WILLL BREAK ALL YOUR BONES AND TOSS YOU ALL INTO THE DEEPEST DARKEST HELL!” At that moment, I began bringing death and devestation to all around me, it mattered not who they were or where their allegiances lay, to my shattered mind they all had to pay for this deep, hellish pain. I felt alone in an unknown realm, no one I knew around to soothe my river of sorrow over my loss, my despair over having seen two people I cared deeply about killed before my very eyes. Until through the rain and all the corpses of Annas I slew, was a pale haired girl in a bridal gown fighting the Annas by herself. To my shattered mind, I honestly thought she was with them, until I heard a similar scream of fear…the one my mother and best friend gave before they died. With a bit of fog clearing from my vision, I slew the Anna threating her and nearly made the same mistake until I had to glance at Gaius’s body behind me by who knows how many yards, until I was finally able to stop and fall to my knees and cry loudly until I passed out from overexertion and the wounds I had from my rampage.

I woke up inside an inn, wrapped in bandages, cold and sore all over. My weapons had all broken save for the forged Killing Edge I had pulled off Gaius’s body. One of the weapons that had taken his life…was now mine. Later I learned my rescuers name, Silvia who was also from another realm like me. That day, I not only lost a friend but also gained a new friend in Silvia. Once I recovered from my rampage, we set off from the inn, eventually leading to me acquiring the sword Mercurius, the fire tome Valflame, and the Katarina’s Bolt the innkeeper had handed to me.

After I finished my tale, I noticed Jxemas had left. I stood there after finishing my story, the full memory hitting me like a flood. "I wanted to forget all that. I didn't want to remember all that pain, and now....I'll never see Chrom or Lucina again... GAH! I don't care how long it takes, no copy can replace the real thing! For copies can't completely act like the real things they are meant to replace! Bah! When I find Phoibus again, I'll break all his bones!" And with that I stormed off to be alone somewhere.

Man, I only wrote one character development piece for Ace. Looks like I'll be coming up with more than^^