The War for Our Future - Character Development Thread

MRDRHAWK

[spoiler=Heavy thoughts - Kat] She wakes up and she's alone. She almost panics until she hears the commotion downstairs. They are close, just in a place she can't see. But, one day, there will come a day when she wakes up, alone and cold, and the closest place that she can find them will be her own head.

She sighs and carefully presses her hands to her still-flat stomach. She can almost feel the life of the baby growing there. It's still too early, of course, but she thinks she can anyway. It fills her with pleasure, happiness… and sickening terror. The reason is obvious, though she can never voice them.

She is immortal. She is, essentially, undying. But her baby won't be. Will never be. She will, at some point, will have to watch her beautiful, precious baby DIE. And her baby's children, and their children, and on and on and on. Just as she does Tabitha's children.

She remembers, a long time ago, when there was a horrible plague. It leveled entire cities and ravaged entire countries. The worst part about it, though, was that the chief victims were CHILDREN. She remembers helping to save a couple of the children, and attending the funerals of thousands more. One of the mothers had told her that a parent should never have to bury their child.

But she'd have to do so. And that nearly broke her heart.

... ]':

This is so sad ]:

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, gods, Kat, I'm trying NOT to cry...!

Mission accomplished~

Edit: I swear to god, these chars need to be quiet… ><

[spoiler=Taste - Klotho]She can't taste anything.

It had been that way always, according to her shorn memory. Water, plants, berries, dirt… they all tasted the same. Nothing.

There's a cake on her plate and she tries to make her way through it. Everyone says it tastes good. She should too.

​Except she can't. Because she hates lying. It doesn't taste 'good'. It doesn't taste 'bad'. It just… doesn't 'taste'. There's nothing. It's mush in her mouth that she chokes down because she's been told to do so.

She wishes she could taste, though. Everyone seems to like it and it would be nice to see what they all liked. Maybe then she could crack the glass cage she's in. Just a little.

Edited by Kat

Mission accomplished~

Edit: I swear to god, these chars need to be quiet… ><

[spoiler=Taste - Klotho]She can't taste anything.

It had been that way always, according to her shorn memory. Water, plants, berries, dirt… they all tasted the same. Nothing.

There's a cake on her plate and she tries to make her way through it. Everyone says it tastes good. She should too.

​Except she can't. Because she hates lying. It doesn't taste 'good'. It doesn't taste 'bad'. It just… doesn't 'taste'. There's nothing. It's mush in her mouth that she chokes down because she's been told to do so.

She wishes she could taste, though. Everyone seems to like it and it would be nice to see what they all liked. Maybe then she could crack the glass cage she's in. Just a little.

And now I feel bad for having Glaedyr offer her that cake >.<

[spoiler=Talking to an Angry Goddess - Kat] *in the forest, glancing at the blood still staining the area* "Wow, we did a number. Not a good way to start off." *concentrates* "Hear me, god-"

*appears very suddenly, looking absolutely furious* "Three years and most wounds healed to scars, no aging."

*visibly startled* ​"…Not only is that the absolute FASTEST summoning I've ever had to do, that's also the quickest bargaining. What's going on?"

*Glaring at the trees, which shake in the sudden breeze* ​"Your… OPPONENT… has violated one of the most sacred laws and I am at my wits' end keeping Doma calm so that he doesn't start rampaging on the continent again! Phoibus has needed to spar him!"

​"…Uh… so, how many times did Phoibus have to regenerate?"

"Many, and I am very, very grateful Phoibus has no qualms about it once he's given an explanation."

​"And… uh… did Doma realize who he was fighting? Because he hates it when Phoibus has to regenerate."

"No."

​"…Mila, you can be a bitch, sometimes."

"I asked Phoibus first."

"And Phoibus has problems." *sighs* "So… the price for the twenty years? And healing?"

"I want the dead to stay dead."

​"…Uh… Little more info here, love."

​"Your OPPONENT… resurrected some people. History calls them villains, so I shall borrow the terms. RESURRECTION. No ghosts."

"And you're pissed off because now there's a chance of the veil between life and death unravelling and chaos comes."

"Yes."

​"So… you want them killed again. That's what you're saying."

"Yes, all of them. Every. Single. One. Of. Them." *each word is punctuated with a tree falling over, withered at the trunk*

*glancing at the trees and notices that none of them go anywhere near her, Mila, or the local wildlife. Yet.* ​"This level of anger isn't very healthy, Mila. If you were human…"

​"I am not. Unfortunate. I could actually interfere if I was. But… yes." *takes a deep breath in and releases it, visibly calming down* "All of them dead. No matter how sympathetic. No matter how kind. All of the dead who were brought back to life must return to their slumber. If this is agreed to, in addition to the previous condition, Doma and I will ensure your out realm friends have twenty years of this world's time to fight, ensure that they do not age, ensure that any wounds they have at the time of their return will fade to scars, and that only a single hour will have passed in their own worlds."

​"…You are really pissed off at the guy if you're promising that much as a reward."

"I'm also livid that more trouble is being caused while you're pregnant. Too much stress is HORRIBLE for a baby's health."

"Yeah, yeah."

"So, make sure you-"

"I know, Mila. I get it from everyone who knows."

"Well, good." *finally smiles* "That's the condition for the extension. And other benefits."

"Knowing our luck, those villains are coming after us anyway, so I'll agree for them here and then tell them when I get back."

"Excellent! I'll go let Doma know. He'll take great delight in watching. Was there anything else? A healing? Medicine? Flowers?"

"I'm FINE, Mila. Damn yourself, I'm not INVALID."

"Yes, yes." *giggles* "Take care, my dear." *fades away*

*sighs, facepalming* "Well, that was just weird."

Edited by Kat

[spoiler=Talking to an Angry Goddess - Kat] *in the forest, glancing at the blood still staining the area* "Wow, we did a number. Not a good way to start off." *concentrates* "Hear me, god-"

*appears very suddenly, looking absolutely furious* "Twenty years and most wounds healed to scars, no aging."

*visibly startled* ​"…Not only is that the absolute FASTEST summoning I've ever had to do, that's also the quickest bargaining. What's going on?"

*Glaring at the trees, which shake in the sudden breeze* ​"Your… OPPONENT… has violated one of the most sacred laws and I am at my wits' end keeping Doma calm so that he doesn't start rampaging on the continent again! Phoibus has needed to spar him!"

"Many, and I am very, very grateful Phoibus has no qualms about it once he's given an explanation."

​"And… uh… did Doma realize who he was fighting? Because he hates it when Phoibus has to regenerate."

"No."

"I asked Phoibus first."

"And Phoibus has problems." *sighs* "So… the price for the twenty years? And healing?"

​"Your OPPONENT… resurrected some people. History calls them villains, so I shall borrow the terms. RESURRECTION. No ghosts."

"And you're pissed off because now there's a chance of the veil between life and death unravelling and chaos comes."

"Yes."

"Yes, all of them. Every. Single. One. Of. Them." *each word is punctuated with a tree falling over, withered at the trunk*

*glancing at the trees and notices that none of them go anywhere near her, Mila, or the local wildlife. Yet.* ​"This level of anger isn't very healthy, Mila. If you were human…"

​"I am not. Unfortunate. I could actually interfere if I was. But… yes." *takes a deep breath in and releases it, visibly calming down* "All of them dead. No matter how sympathetic. No matter how kind. All of the dead who were brought back to life must return to their slumber. If this is agreed to, in addition to the previous condition, Doma and I will ensure your out realm friends have twenty years of this world's time to fight, ensure that they do not age, ensure that any wounds they have at the time of their return will fade to scars, and that only a single hour will have passed in their own worlds."

​"…You are really pissed off at the guy if you're promising that much as a reward."

"I'm also livid that more trouble is being caused while you're pregnant. Too much stress is HORRIBLE for a baby's health."

"Yeah, yeah."

"So, make sure you-"

"Well, good." *finally smiles* "That's the condition for the extension. And other benefits."

"Knowing our luck, those villains are coming after us anyway, so I'll agree for them here and then tell them when I get back."

"Excellent! I'll go let Doma know. He'll take great delight in watching. Was there anything else? A healing? Medicine? Flowers?"

(So...do we kill Doma and Mila? That would be one hell of a twist)

(So...do we kill Doma and Mila? That would be one hell of a twist)

…No? Where was that stated? Where was that even IMPLIED?

Edited by Kat

*appears very suddenly, looking absolutely furious* "Twenty years and most wounds healed to scars, no aging."

"No."

"I asked Phoibus first."

"Yes."

"Yeah, yeah."

"So, make sure you-"

...I understand that Mila's a Goddess, but I doubt that even she could pull off something like stalling a dimensional paradox. Just my thought

Edited by Hero-King

...I understand that Mila's a Goddess, but I doubt that even she could pull off something like stalling a dimensional paradox. Just my thought

Really? I figured with Doma and Mila working together, they could. Should it be a shorter time? (I honestly just went to a random number generator there and went for the first one higher than 2.)

Edited by Kat

Really? I figured with Doma and Mila working together, they could. Should it be a shorter time? (I honestly just went to a random number generator there and went for the first one higher than 2.)

Hm... didnt think of Doma being in the formula. Once you put it like that, sure, but twenty years is a stretch. I'd say maybe adding even one more year would suffice. that or there possibly being another timeskip if anything higher

Hm... didnt think of Doma being in the formula. Once you put it like that, sure, but twenty years is a stretch. I'd say maybe adding even one more year would suffice. that or there possibly being another timeskip if anything higher

So… three years? (well, 2.5 at this point.) If there's another timeskip, which… I have no idea about at the time, we'll see about adding time so that poor chars don't stress so much. *going to go change now*

[spoiler=Weak - Klotho] She needs to train. Stronger. Faster. Braver.

She knows what everyone is seeing now. Fragile. Weak. Coward. But she isn't. At least, she doesn't think she is.

She needs to show it to them. Prove herself, somehow. Make up for freaking out because of the scary magic that frightens her for some reason. Or the blood pouring out of Beautiful Crimson's neck.

She plasters the smile on and shows them that she's not weak, not fragile, not scared. She's just fine, and no one will tell her otherwise. She has to be. She has to be useful, has to be stronger.

She's not innocent. She's not fragile. She knows this. She remembers her reflection, before taking that bath and wandering about the ruined countryside until Sister found her. She sees the blood on her feet still. On her legs, arms, hands, body, face. In her hair, under her nails. And something deep inside her says… that none of it was hers.

She's not innocent. They just think so because she can't remember much.

She's not weak. Because the weak just died in this world.

So, she'd prove it to the others. She'd have to.

Because, if she doesn't, they'd leave her behind, and she is more scared of that than anything.

Edit: Oh, shoot, didn't realize no one had posted above me. ><; I must've been on the wrong page.

Edited by Kat

Poly there is a reference that I'm questioning if you will find.

[spoiler=Magvel Sorin Character Dev. 1/ Tana C Support]

Purgatorial Storm: Magvel Sorin's Domain

Sorin "Even the coldest blanket of snow, cannot smother the growth of a flower. A flower of love, a flower of peace! Soon, I shall watch as the flowers bloom and the cold... Banished!" ...If you were with me right now, what would you say? Tana... my beloved... my shining star that moves across the sky and finds its way back to my side. Right now... the only things I have left of you are the memories of our time together. *smirk* Particularly one of you telling me you liked poetry... Would you tell me to smile like you used to? You seemed to be good at making me do it... No matter how much I fought back. Although in truth in your smile I saw something more beautiful than the stars.

Sorin: *Sigh*

Tana: Sorin!

Sorin: Oh, Tana. Something wrong?

Tana: Well, we can't advance the line until you arrive. Something keeping you?

Sorin: ...I sincerely doubt anybody besides Ephraim, Eirika, and yourself would like to have me fighting near them. I suppose it comes with the territory of being a Grado Noble's son.

Tana: Don't say that Sorin. The others are not that shallow. Besides, you are a hero.

Sorin: What makes you say that?

Tana: The fact that you have saved Eirika, Ephraim, and I is testament to this.

Sorin: ...What kind of hero gets his family killed in his pursuit of "peace"?

Tana: .....

Sorin: W-what are yo- Re go of ma face!

Tana: ... You give so many fake smiles that it feels as if you may have forgotten how to truly smile. So until you remember, I want you to smile all the time. *Let's go*

Sorin: *pant, pant*.... Even in battle?

Tana: That is the only exception. Alright?

Sorin: ...Sure, but we have been away from the front for too long. Go on ahead. I will meet you there.

Tana: Ok, but don't forget. *Leaves*

Sorin: Tana....I don't think I'm the only one.

(Anon talking to himself. I'm probably gonna have him snap soon)

What, prithee myself, is happiness? Is the feeling I have now, alone and under the stars, yet undeniably at peace, happiness? Or is joy more akin to the rush of battle or discovery, my veins pounding as I achieve some great goal I could have only dreamed of as a younger man? Is enjoyment of life the feeling I receive from talking with my allies, a feeling unsettled yet calm? It is certainly different from the feeling I get from being with my family. Is that feeling happiness? Or is each a different form? I don't see how that could be, as each is so drastically varied. To think I may have lived my life believing the wrong feeling to be happiness...maybe, I should discredit the idea of happiness dependent upon others. After all, I have disregarded love and romance because of the weaknesses it creates, why not a lesser variant? Hehe...I don't know. I can be the greatest genius on any planet, and still the heart is to deceitful for mortal understanding. Ain't life a bitch? Not really, life is pretty good to me. I guess I should just drop the poetry, sleep on it and follow what I can tell in the most 'right.' If I need to know, I'll figure it out eventually. Who knows, maybe I'll actually try talking to people again. It's been awhile since I've done any satire, and there's no shortage of stuff to joke at with that bunch.

[spoiler=Light's thoughts]I sit and watch him. Every day I'm not watching the dreamers. Why does he say they're special? Sure they're different. But all I see is normal men and normal women. Nothing special on the inside. Physical traits mean nothing to me. It matters in the spirit. They are nothing but normal. But then again, I'm just a man as well. A man who won a war with his comrades and then is a realm diver to find his bastard of a sister. But now... I'm trapped here. Unless she shows herself like she did before to tell me all the knowledge she had gathered from...Anna's? In my world we didn't have those. Interesting they are. I told her that messing with this time would be bad, but ignorance is bliss I suppose.. Back to the main point. Jxemas...No. Shadowfrost. He looks the same as he did in my world. Just with a mask. And not having the urgency to kill people he looked at. Or being asleep when he fought. It was a tough fight I admit...but he fell all the same.. I must say, they still have Ferox? Beautiful. My world's Ferox was destroyed. Now it had belonged to bandits...till we cleared them out. I wonder how my world is doing besides that. Are they doing ok? I always wonder....but now I have a thing to do. Getting my head out of the clouds. Now I must apologize in full. Not everybody like being turned into stone you know...

I did this because of yesterday mainly.

[spoiler=Ocean - Klotho]It's cold.

It's really, really cold. But… it doesn't really hurt. There is some pain but… it's bearable. More than bearable. Is it supposed to be?

The water is surprisingly clear. She can see some distance. And, up above, is the weak light of the moon and stars, illuminating part of the cold, dark ocean.

Her body tries to float up to the surface, but she grips part of the pier to keep herself down here. If she can get close… then would something flash? Would she remember something? Something important? Useful?

Fear claws at her mind as she slowly realizes she's running out of air. Her hands automatically start trying to let go of the pier, but she doesn't let them. She hopes the fear digs something up. Anything up.

Panic is setting in now, and still she clings. Perhaps something can… anything could...

"_____, come on! Dinner is ready!"

"But I'm having fun!"

"Get in here now!"

"No!"

"Welcome home, _____! Is everything o… hey, why do you have your bow out?"

​"R… run…"

"Huh?"

"Run! Th… those bas… I can't…! Run!"

"Is it ready?"

"…"

"Silent as always. I could force you to speak, though. My magic.. can make you do anything I want you to."

​"I… will kill you."

"Insubordination from a tool has to be broken out. Ruin."

​"…I told you that I'd kill you…"

​"Ha… haha… I still won."

​"Huh? Wait, what are you…? LET ME GO!"

Suddenly she's moving. Voices, thoughts, all bouncing through her head. She doesn't know what she's doing, but her body does. Soon she's bursting through the surface, greedily sucking in the fresh air.

Who had been the speakers? Were they are the same? Different? Who had they been?

​She… didn't learn anything useful at all… did she…? Useless, again.

"Damn it."

Edited by Kat

Ishtar and Dan conversation

It was Ishtar. But weren't the villains supposed to be in Valm? What's going on?

"Hm? Whose there?" She said, grabbing for her tome.

"W-wait!" Dan said as he roze out of the bushes.

"...Daniel? What are you doing here?" She said putting her tome away.

"I'd like to ask you the same thing. I had heard that Ferox had been liberated from the Anna's, so I thought I could buy myself some new weapons, maybe even train up with some of the soldiers here." He didn't like lying to her, but he had to.

"I...see." She said with a skeptical look.

Time to change the subject. "Uh, so what are you doing here?"

"Oh, I'm just...wandering. I had also heard about the liberation of Ferox from those merchants. I didn't hear about who did it? Do you know perhaps?"

"No, sorry."

"I see. That's a shame. So, where are you heading off to, now?"

"Well...I was actually going to go over to Valm."

"Valm? Why, that place is crawling with Annas?"

"I know, but...there's been this person who has been causing trouble for me. However, he hasn't been here physically, but merely sending some sort of...vision of himself to me. I called him out, and he said to meet him in the wellspring of truth all the way in Valm."

"I see...Actually, I have comrades up in Valm. Maybe I could get them to help you with your encounter?"

"N-no, that won't be necessary."

"But this person sounds like a very powerful magic user. Are you sure? Perhaps I could come and join you?"

"No, it's fine. Besides, I promised I would come alone."

"And how do you know to trust this person?"

Dan bit his lip. How did he know? For all he knew, he would be walking into a large ambush. "I...I really don't know. To be honest, if the circumstances were different, I would gladly welcome you...but, I'm sorry."

"...If you insist. However, I do not wish for you to go unprepared against someone with such magical prowess." She took a ring off her finger. "Here. Take this."

"What is-"

"It's a barrier ring. I enhances the magical defenses of anyone who wears it."

"I-I can't accept this, I-"

"Please. Take it." She said with a warm smile on her face. "A child such as you should not go without some form of protection. I know you have the demon's curse upon you, but if you would allow me to give this to you, then I can let you go with a good conscience."

"...T-thank you." Dan put on the ring onto his right hand.

Ishtar giggled a little. "I see you still have the backpack I gave you."

Dan blushed a little. "Y-yeah. It's been very useful."

"I should hope so. By the way, did you find the secret compartment?"

"Secret...no, no I haven't." Dan took the backpack off, and looked around it.

"Here." Ishtar opened up the pack, then rummaged around until she found something. "There's a little flap here." She opened it up...and inside was a spare set of clothes. more specifically, a robe similar to the one Ishtar wears with the thunderbolt storm all over it.

"Uh...That was...there this whole time?"

Ishtar giggled again. "Yes. I thought you may need a spare set when you set off in the desert. Keep them."

Dan's face was blushing tremendously. "I...You've given me so much. I don't know how to repay you."

"It's fine. Don't worry yourself over it. Oh, but I must be leaving. I wish you luck, Daniel." Ishtar then walked off. Dan waited until she was out of sight before he closed up the pack and slung it around his back, then proceeded back into Ferox.

Edited by Dandragon

[spoiler=While he sleeps - Kat] He always falls asleep first. After night of laughing and teasing and kissing, he always seems to tire first. She's not sure if it's because she just exhausts him or if it's because he's also the first to rise. But she doesn't mind. It gives her a chance to play. Little things, really. Water drawings on his cheek, tiny braids in his hair. Things that amuse her by night, but are easy to 'erase' so that it doesn't haunt the day.

Tiny things that help her remember, so that when he dies, she can keep as much of his true self alive in her memory as possible.

The way his hair falls 'just-so', the curve of his cheek. The way his brow furrows as a nightmares starts to creep in, only to smooth away as she hums a silly song under her breath. The fact that he refuses to let go of her, even while asleep.

The fact that one night, he won't be there… it makes it hard for her to breath and makes her heart keen so horribly, she half wishes to just run as far and fast as possible, just to escape the pain. But then he smiles, laughs, teases, kisses… and she tells herself that it'll be worth it. Beyond worth it. To have the memory of this wonderful man forever, and know that of all the women he could've had, he chose her… broken-shattered, horribly scarred HER… that would be worth the pain. The pain of one day being separated and never, ever reuniting. The pain of watching the world forget he ever even existed...

She tells herself this, and most days she believes it. But, when he sleeps and she's alone in her thoughts, she's not so certain if what she tells herself is truth… or a horrible, deluding lie.