√ⁿ² Day 6: Why do people like: [Say'ri]?

Elieson

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say'ri's interesting, imo. I like her Japanese-ish look. I also like how despite the odds being heavily against her, she still strives to build that resistance force of hers. This woman's got guts.

I quite liked Say'ri at first. I liked the way she spoke and the different dialogue against the bosses from Valm's arc. Definitely lost whatever potential she had afterward, though.

Still upset she can't support with Lon'qu or Yen'fay buuuuut....

I really like her design for some reason. Optimization wise she can get Galeforce, and I like her more than Yen'fay. It really bothers me she doesn't have that many supports (I mean, Yen'fay's her brother and Lon'qu was from Chon'sin too!) Basically, she's okay. I like how her speech is different from the other characters.

Edited by LuigiandShadowGirl

Should have had Ignis.

Of course. It would totally be worth eating up a skill slot for an extra 3~ points of damage and pretty sakura petals.

On a more serious note, I don't particularly care for Say'ri one way or the other. She's just an average character with a quaint accent.

Plus, I'm afraid that if she dies, then killing Yen'fay will have weird dialogue.

She doesn't die even if she's killed. now interpret it on your own way

Say'ri is a nice unit, but I think she's too frail at the start. Doesn't seem to compensate in comparison to my other units.

She's awful.

For the amount of attention she gets, she doesn't really do that much. The whole Chon'sin nation is basically just to wank off all Swordmaster fans, but it's not even half as developped as Isaac, Sacae or Jehenna.

Her accent's weird and unfitting (sounds like French rather than Japanese and her brother doesn't even have it), her support list is tiny and she just reminds me of Lyn with slightly less exposure. Could've done without her.

Edited by Woodshooter

I doubt that he'd do this for every character, only the ones that he can't figure out why people like them (for instance, it's pretty obvious why some people are a fan of Lucina, so there wouldn't be much point in Elieson doing this for her).

Dislike.

Say'ri embodies a lot of the things that drive me nuts about FE13. She's the face of a poorly-written plot arc and has no relevance thereafter. Her support pool is... nothing. They didn't even bother to provide her with her own unique child, so she comes off as a way that you, the Avatar, can bang a sexy exotic swordmistress. Her homeland is the most thinly-written and unconvincing of all the thinly-written "exotic" swordmaster nations that were given about three seconds' thought by the developers (Isaach, Jehanna, etc).

Calling her wasted potential is the most charitable thing I could possibly say. Didn't use her in battle, either.

##Vote: Elie

... dammit, now I want to make an FSN mafia.

do it do it do it

looks like fe isn't the game on which people die when they are killed anymore, blame the new generation

She's awful.

For the amount of attention she gets, she doesn't really do that much. The whole Chon'sin nation is basically just to wank off all Swordmaster fans, but it's not even half as developped as Isaac, Sacae or Jehenna.

Her accent's weird and unfitting (sounds like French rather than Japanese and her brother doesn't even have it), her support list is tiny and she just reminds me of Lyn with slightly less exposure. Could've done without her.

I agree, though I found every character in FE13 void of character development, save Chrom and... maybe Lissa? Lucina? The Avatar? I believe Say'ri was as badly developped as Yen'fay and Walhart. The latter could've been a great villain if only he didn't only properly appear in, like, 2 chapters.

Edited by Rapier

The problem with Say'ri is the same as with Basilio and Flavia... Too few supports which means you aren't going to benefit much from using them. Anna suffers from the same problem, and Anna is worse because she's useless story wise.

But really, taking a look at Chon'sin... I don't think it's ever featured in the game. Valm is said to be a bunch of small countries, but the game gives the impression that it's all a big landmass, unlike the other continent where Ylisse, Plegia and Ferox are distinctively separate. I guess it's done for convenience, because featuring every little country that makes up Valm would actually be counterproductive. Maybe they could've included the better known ones such as Chon'sin, Rosanne and Valm itself (though Valm is featured, it's where Walhart's castle is), but that wasn't necessary for the story.

Say'ri is a character with a cool design and she doesn't compromise the story. She suffers from arc syndrome, that is, in a game with multiple arcs she becomes pointless in the following arc. What really hurts her, though, is her inability to support many people. Basilio and Flavia were handled better because they can at least support each other, but Say'ri is difficult to use because she doesn't support anyone relevant other than the Avatar. Allowing her to support Lon'qu, Virion and Cherche would've been very nice. My guess is that Say'ri is intended for the players who arrive at Valm underleveled (since she's a prepromote) and need a strong character to help take on the next stages. Skilled players don't need her. I'd say Libra and Anna are similar in this respect.

Anyway, criticizing Awakening for lack of character development is a bit cheap... In a game with not that long play time, and more than 30 playable characters, you can't really develop everyone. This is not Game of Thrones where GRRM has 1,000 pages to create a story and develop his characters, this is a game with limited space. Everyone bar Avatar, Chrom and Lucina is secondary. Say'ri herself actually gets more development than a bunch of the supporting cast, who are supposed to be developed through support conversations and not the story.

Edited by Malebolganone

Previous games with less supports and less dialogue achieved more character development. Even Shadow Dragon.

So yes, it is completely fair to criticize FE13 for failing to develop its characters properly. Using a single trope to define a character is something classic games did. Modern games that do it include fighting games, DOTA-style games, etc, where the main focus is the gameplay and the characters are devices to aid gameplay. To have supports which go well past the 10,000 word count for EACH character (with over 30 characters and that's not even counting the story itself and all the extras) and somehow have less character development than a game which probably has 10,000 words of dialogue AND story combined (talking about FE11 here) is a disaster.

"My guess is that Say'ri is intended for the players who arrive at Valm underleveled (since she's a prepromote) and need a strong character to help take on the next stages. Skilled players don't need her. I'd say Libra and Anna are similar in this respect."

I laugh at this statements so much, thanks to how ironic it is WRT the fanbase so lol

And honestly, Say'ri isn't even that good, IMO. She's already outdated right after her jointime

Anyway pretty much what everyone said. She's "boring and irrelevant". Being tied to Yen'fay only make it even worse.

Being the "Swordmaster waifu" won't help either since Say'ri is not a Dragon, but then again, there was no Dragon waifu in this game anyway(LOLTIKI)

Edited by Eradicator Boner

Say'ri has to be one of my favorite characters.

Of course, the writing of her part of the story is Awakening's usual flavor of awful.

Her story arc builds up to an predictable cliched twist but executed in the poorest way possible and therefore results in facepalming instead of tears. But the writing is a problem for every main character, so I won't hold it against her.

However, she has no quirks that make her particular annoying.

And while I can't check it right now, I think her battle quotes were also focused and serious, rather then being as psychopathic then those of her sadistic comrades. And among Awakening's female units, her design is rather easy on the eye.

Her support pool is limited, she can conveniently be hooked up with Tiki. The too of them compliment each other nicely.

I laugh at this statements so much, thanks to how ironic it is WRT the fanbase so lol

And honestly, Say'ri isn't even that good, IMO. She's already outdated right after her jointime

That's something that always confuses me. How is she outdated?

I mean, you can deploy one more unit when she joins anyway. So why not just use her?

Edited by BrightBow

Say'ri is an ok unit gameplay-wise, Pre-Tiki. Post-Tiki she's one of the MVPs. Idk wtf ppl mean when they say she's bad. Prepromoted with 29 spd in Lunatic at a point where it's ridiculously hard to double Heroes? Yes please. Gets surprising amounts of exp with each kill (30)? Yes please. B swords? Yes please. Can reclass to get wings and her chapter even has an Arms Scroll? Yes please. I mean, ok, she only supports the Avatar until Tiki, but that isn't stopping me from just slapping Kellam or someone useless into her and call it a day.

Anyway, I like Say'ri because she's cool. You can't beat my reasoning!

Posted · Hidden by Shuuda, November 29, 2013 - Spam
Hidden by Shuuda, November 29, 2013 - Spam

Say'ri is an ok unit gameplay-wise, Pre-Tiki. Post-Tiki she's one of the MVPs. Idk wtf ppl mean when they say she's bad. Prepromoted with 29 spd in Lunatic at a point where it's ridiculously hard to double Heroes? Yes please. Gets surprising amounts of exp with each kill (30)? Yes please. B swords? Yes please. Can reclass to get wings and her chapter even has an Arms Scroll? Yes please. I mean, ok, she only supports the Avatar until Tiki, but that isn't stopping me from just slapping Kellam or someone useless into her and call it a day.

Anyway, I like Say'ri because she's cool. You can't beat my reasoning!

/thread