√ⁿ² Day 6: Why do people like: [Say'ri]?

Elieson

That's something that always confuses me. How is she outdated?

I mean, you can deploy one more unit when she joins anyway. So why not just use her?

She failed to solo the first wave when everyone else can. Although that might be because the last time I played this game was like.... two months ago so I forgot a lot of stuff

Either way being Tiki partner is all worth it, so eh

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, criticizing Awakening for lack of character development is a bit cheap... In a game with not that long play time, and more than 30 playable characters, you can't really develop everyone. This is not Game of Thrones where GRRM has 1,000 pages to create a story and develop his characters, this is a game with limited space. Everyone bar Avatar, Chrom and Lucina is secondary. Say'ri herself actually gets more development than a bunch of the supporting cast, who are supposed to be developed through support conversations and not the story.

I don't find it cheap because it's the developpers' fault if this game feels more rushed than Radiant Dawn (did they not learn from this?). Blazing Sword has 31 chapters, not counting the gaiden ones. They could've done the same, so the war against Plegia didn't feel so anticlimatic and rushed. Walhart could've had a lot more screen time as well (even if it were to be in cutscenes).

Also, some characters don't really develop themselves even through Support Convos, bar a few examples, like Lissa, Maribelle, Lon'qu, Cordelia and Ricken, as far as I can remember. In a game with, as you said, over 30 playable characters. This is no excuse, as Blazing Sword (with 46 characters , without counting villains), has a huge cast with a lot of character development through Supports. FE:A has 43 characters, without counting the villains (and their recruitable paralogue versions). I can't really accept this as an excuse.

Adding these points to the fact that FE:A has way more space than any of the GBA games, I don't see your point.

@PKL

You forgot to say that Say'ri dies with two hits or so.

Edited by Rapier

Lon'qu exist in the early game of Awakening. Thats much better than Say'ri's position

But then again, I can say the same almost every other characters in the game, so eh

Edited by Eradicator Boner

He's got more time to develop as well. He'll usually have more defense than Say'ri and be as effective as she is. Not to mention he benefits from early supports as well.

There is just no reason to use her, unless your team has an extra spot. And even then, she needs some babying before becoming good.

There is just no reason to use her, unless your team has an extra spot. And even then, she needs some babying before becoming good.

Well, that's the thing: There is an extra spot.

In fact, after you reach Valm the game always allows another deploy after you pass by a level with an recruitable ally.

By the time Lon'qu joins, he has to compete for deployment slots with the tons of units that join every chapter, while Say'ri has a slot all for herself.

Edited by BrightBow

In fact, after you reach Valm the game always allows another deploy after you pass by a level with an recruitable ally.

By the time Lon'qu joins, he has to compete for deployment slots with the tons of units that join every chapter, while Say'ri has a slot all for herself.

Am… I the only one who deployed Lucina in that extra slot? Or Henry? Or Cherche?

Edited by Kat

You guys forget that Awakening also has numerous Spotpass and DLC maps to go with those story chapters. Plus all the characters that come with them. And items. And writing. This is A LOT of data for a tiny game card to hold. There might not have been any room left for a few more reasonable story chapters.

You guys forget that Awakening also has numerous Spotpass and DLC maps to go with those story chapters. Plus all the characters that come with them. And items. And writing. This is A LOT of data for a tiny game card to hold. There might not have been any room left for a few more reasonable story chapters.

Voice clips take up way more than text, even with compression.

And they had plenty of room to include the Japanese voice clips with the English versions. And the European cartridge with all of the languages for all of the text.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Space was not an issue.

They were able to fit a freaking PS2 game with full voice acting on hundreds of skits the Tales games are known for on Tales of the Abyss into a 3DS cartridge. If all the DLC was able to fit within 356 MB of SD card space including new models and animations and maps... and all the system files are in the 3DS cartridge, one can reasonably assume that they had PLENTY of space to work with in the development of the Japanese game. They worry about localization space issues after the game is done.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Am… I the only one who deployed Lucina in that extra slot? Or Henry? Or Cherche?

I deployed Cherche, and would've deployed Henry if I wasn't using Tharja. At least on HM Cherche can get around two levels by smacking knights with her Hammer in her introduction chapter.

But that is, of course, if you're going to use her. People usually reclass Panne to Wyvern and Panne is stronger.

Correction: An extra slot on which you may deploy an unit that may or not be her. There are plenty of other units to use too, such as, say, one of the second generation children which you obtained, which are far too many. Later on, there's Tiki, who's much more usable than Say'ri (good def, str, average speed, won't die in 2 hits, will double some of the units in the following maps and deal considerable damage to the units she doesn't double).

If you still find a vacant spot after all these considerations, THEN I find no problem with using her, even though she's vulnerable and unreliable until later on. She's still useful on some stances, though, and it's fun to turn a weak unit into a strong one.

I particularly prefer Cherche over her, because a Wyvern Rider with a Hammer in consecutive maps with a lot of armors is just too invitative to resist. And she's more durable than Say'ri.

Lon'qu has to compete with other units for space, but FE always encouraged the use of an specific team throughout the game anyway, unless we're talking about FE4. It's not like you won't be playing with 80% of your planned-team-for-this-specific-playthrough by the time you arrive in Say'ri's chapter. And even in case you don't choose Lon'qu for this one playthrough, there are plenty of options that you can take that are better than Say'ri.

Also, as a pro for Lon'qu, he's a potential rival bachelor choice father. Say'ri can only have Morgan.

Edited by Rapier

Might be a little late with this, but ah well.

I never really bothered with Say'ri, since her personality wasn't all that spectacular (Doesn't really matter much either way; she barely has any supports), and her stats were a little lacking compared to the many other Swordmasters or Assasins I had at that point in the game.

Say'ri is my favorite FE13 character, I love her involvement in the story and I've always loved Swordmasters especially ones that are more rooted in their Japanese inspired roots.

Her mannerisims and such I also like. She is also one heck of a solid unit and makes one hell of a speedy Morgan.