A Link Between Worlds

Loki Laufeyson

Best Zelda game in a loooong time. And F### off if you say I'm just being nostalgic. I didn't get around to playing ALTTP until like 4 years ago.I enjoyed the heck out of it. Hero mode is pretty sweet too. The enemies hit really hard so bringing fairies and potions to a dungeon is almost necessary.

As far as it being a remake goes, obviously it's not. Yes there is similar gameplay and the overworld is similar too, but the dungeons have always been the meat of Zelda games, and they ARE new and different. And fun. Also there are changes to the world (admitedly they're subtle) and quite a few fun mini games that, unlike the ones in most zelda games, I find memorable and fun.

At the end of the day ALBW doesn't bring much new, but I fail to see how a game can't be great and inspired by another game at the same time. I always see critics complaining about games (especially ones from Nintendo) not being the next revolutionary idea that'll change the face of gaming. Listen, I like innovation as much as the next guy, but not every game can do that. Zelda and Mario are no exceptions. Sometimes a game is there just to have fun with. ALBW goes above and beyond in this regard.

Also who else had trouble getting that one chest on the bottom floor of the shadow palace phallus?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My major gripe with this game is that it's much to short and to easy. I finished the whole campaign, never died, and 100% cleared everything in under 15 hours. Maybe it was the fact that I have some of those boss strategies down pat, since some of the bosses were the exact same as ALTTP. (Totes disappointment.)

That being said, I never saw this as a remake, the item system was new and interesting, ALTTP was my first Zelda game, and every single reference made me nostalgic for ALTTP. I loved this game, it was tons of fun to play, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing hero mode after I finish finals this next week. I think this was a really great game, all in all.

Edited by Bryan

My major gripe with this game is that it's much to short and to easy. I finished the whole campaign, never died, and 100% cleared everything in under 15 hours.

The Difficulty depends on your skill on Zelda games imo.

Still stuck in Lorule for the past 3 days

Has anybody else noticed the Zelda and Hilda thing ? Those were the names of the two witch Aunties from Sabrina the Teenaged witch.

Edited by glenncoco

Ehhhh, I don't know about this game. I haven't played it yet, but from the looks of it, it's "the same" as A Link to the Past, which I didn't like personally. I feel with most Zelda games, you don't have to like one to like another, for example Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, despite offering the same game play and graphics, there are a variety of new features including the ability to transform into a Deku, Goron or Zora and an entirely new world. If you didn't like Ocarina's environment? Here's some completely new ones with Termina. If I recall, this isn't the case here, where if you don't like A Link to the Past's overworld, you're stuck with it in this one. This game does however offer the new painting and shopping(?) system(s), which could differentiate it from A Link to the Past, so is it worth it? Or does the paint/wall mechanics seem placed there only to give some depth to the game?

Is this the case here? I don't want to invest 40 or so dollars into the game, if I'm not going to like it.

Basically, tale A Link to the Past and make it a bit more freeform. The item and wall mechanics are fun (They feel less gimmicky than several items and features of the DS/Wii games), but not really enough to break it out of its predecessor's shadow. Not that it's trying to be anything other than a throwback/sequel, of course.

wall merging is a key gameplay mechanic and is necessary for completing every dungeon and sidequest (at least so far).

the overworld is basically the same but there are a couple differences.

im not sure how i feel about the renting system. i just got the master sword, ive rented everything twice and i have well over 4000 rupees. they just throw rupees at you.

overall im loving this game.

baby-shocked-gif.gif

I THOUGHT THAT I WAS THE ONLY ONE

I didn't like A link to the past either, but this game is amazing

That definitely gives me hope! For one, the sages in this game aren't that of generic recoloured Maidens, of which A Link to the Past was. I want to support Zelda in general as it has a lot of deeper things behind the series, Despite my hype for the Wii U Zelda, I don't have a Wii U, thus leaving me with Between Worlds which I know is praised, but I also recognize that there's a lot of nostalgia with it and Link to the Past, so it's nice hearing opinions of those who haven't played or didn't like A Link to the Past. Thanks!

I finished the game. Loved it. Found it to be the right difficulty. Currently replaying the game in Hero Mode. It's my favorite Zelda at the moment.

Ehhhh, I don't know about this game. I haven't played it yet, but from the looks of it, it's "the same" as A Link to the Past, which I didn't like personally. I feel with most Zelda games, you don't have to like one to like another, for example Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, despite offering the same game play and graphics, there are a variety of new features including the ability to transform into a Deku, Goron or Zora and an entirely new world. If you didn't like Ocarina's environment? Here's some completely new ones with Termina. If I recall, this isn't the case here, where if you don't like A Link to the Past's overworld, you're stuck with it in this one. This game does however offer the new painting and shopping(?) system(s), which could differentiate it from A Link to the Past, so is it worth it? Or does the paint/wall mechanics seem placed there only to give some depth to the game?

Is this the case here? I don't want to invest 40 or so dollars into the game, if I'm not going to like it.

The last time I played a LTTP was back in the GBA days, but the game to me feels very different. It covers similar story beats, but the level design and the wall mechanic make this the best puzzles in the series. All the puzzles feel inventive and smart.

I'm not a big fan LTTP, but I loved this game.

• 4 weeks later...

I got this game for Christmas and I'm really loving it! Especially considering I LOVED ALttP. I'm a little stuck though. I've finished the Tower of Hera, but I'm still not sure how to get to the next dungeon which is in Lake Hylia. Can't swim yet and I don't recall seeing flippers in Ravio's item collection, so. xP

[spoiler=Getting the swimming fins]If you know where the Witch's house is, there's a Zora hanging around. If you merge into the wall there and head north, you'll make it to Zora's Domain to get the flippers. Hope that helps.

I finished it awhile ago and I thought it was alright. I thought it was too short and easy though. I wasn't a fan of the renting system because I never died and you get so much money that it doesn't matter if I did. I did think the items having a usage bar was unique in a good way. I collected all the items which wasn't hard either. I might play the hero mode sometime.

Personally I wish they would've just remade ALttP with these updated graphics

• 1 month later...

Sorry to kinda sorta revive this thread, but I need help in the game again. I've finally continued after not playing in like a month and I've reached Lorule. But the locations of all seven dungeons there are marked on the map, so I don't know which I should go to first. Or can I do them in like any order?

I'd try the Swamp Palace first. Running through it will net you the Blue Mail, which halves the damage from enemies. VERY useful item, especially on Hero Mode.

Four different people suggesting four different dungeons. Now I'm really undecided. :P

This is why I tend to like linearity in my Zelda games. I always have trouble deciding where to go or figuring out where to go otherwise. >_<

Edited by Anacybele

I'd try the Swamp Palace first. Running through it will net you the Blue Mail, which halves the damage from enemies. VERY useful item, especially on Hero Mode.

I was referring to this dungeon but the title is misleading since it isn't technically in the swamp but whatever.

So you have two votes for this dungeon

I just found it funny at one point.

When Ganon shows up upon entering Lorule the first time. It's like...oh shit, Ganon again? But then Yuga goes and takes over him. It's funny because "Hijacked by Ganon" doesn't apply here. He's the one getting hijacked...literally!

I was referring to this dungeon but the title is misleading since it isn't technically in the swamp but whatever.

So you have two votes for this dungeon

Ohhh, oops. Yeah, I was thinking of going to that one too since it's the closest to where I first enter Lorule, I think?

I finally decided to get the game as well. My wallet needed some time to recover after getting a Wii U so I haven't bought much games these last few months.

A link to the past was before my time so this is my first 2d Zelda. So far its pretty awesome. I've just cleared the thief and the cursed woods dungeon so I've gotten 2 out of the 7 sages.

Edited by Sasori

Can't believe I didn't notice this thread before! I beat the game on both modes a while ago, and was really impressed. It really felt like classic Zelda, I disliked how linear Skyward Sword was so this was perfect in that sense. It's incredible for me how many kids on Miiverse seem to just ask for help without even trying on their own, handholding has become THAT bad in modern games I guess, so I'm glad here it was basically inexistent. I felt the item rental system worked well, and I LOVED that the dungeons have no set order. My first run I did:

Thieves' Hideout

Turtle Rock

Swamp Palace

Desert Palace

Skull Woods

Ice Ruins

Dark Palace

The dungeons all really impressed me. They felt on par with console dungeons in terms of atmosphere, largely because of the music. The new composer for this game did a great job. The only negative is how small most of them are, which in turn shortens the length of the game. As for the overworld, I've only played LttP once or twice so maybe it's that I don't remember it quite so well as others, but I felt it was a perfect mix of new and old. The story was a little underwhelming, especially since Zelda just went back to being kidnapped again after more active roles in the last few games, but the ending totally blew me away.