Jeigan Appreciation Thread

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freddy is a dude who is viable until midgame, then he takes too many resources.

Seth is a unit who remains your absolute best until like the end of the game.

Marcus can solo up until a certain point lategame, and even then he's still pretty good.

Other peeps can definitely go to midgame, especially in the lower difficulties.

Eyvel is a special case, because you don't have her for the vast majority of the game, so I'd call her sort of a Jeigan/Gato hybrid.

But Frederick has access to Second Seals and probably has better growths too.

Demoting Frederick is about the worst decision to be made for him because his combat stats take a huge hit, as do his support bonuses, and you'll also find that he doesn't level up nearly fast enough to catch up with some of your unpromoted units. Wyvern Fred in particular is just so bad. But yeah, he can max his stats like everyone else with the second seals, if you like wasting your time.

Eyvel is a special case, because you don't have her for the vast majority of the game, so I'd call her sort of a Jeigan/Gato hybrid.

Once you look at the story, its fairly apparent that Eyvel is "The Protagonist parent who get killed early in the story to motivate the character" >_>

She is basically Greil

This thread makes me feel so guilty of my SD sacrifice, R.I.P. Jeigan and your awesome armor.

Anyway I like to give Freddy a chance. Always feel guilty if I have to bench him because I really enjoy him as a character, not to mention how he's so involved in the story. At least he makes a good daddy to some of the kids.

Then there's Titania my favorite. Don't care about archetypes, I'm using her for my entire run of PoR.

That sounds kind of far-fetched considering Gato is a great unit who is available only for the final few chapters. Eyvel on the other hand is great in the early stages of the game but is completely useless when she finally returns.

I'd call her a crutch. You can lean on her to keep from falling over, then she breaks when you need her most when you're used to the mechanics and your units have some experience.

Demoting Frederick is about the worst decision to be made for him because his combat stats take a huge hit, as do his support bonuses, and you'll also find that he doesn't level up nearly fast enough to catch up with some of your unpromoted units. Wyvern Fred in particular is just so bad. But yeah, he can max his stats like everyone else with the second seals, if you like wasting your time.

Who said anything about demoting Frederick? I have him go back to lv. 1 GREAT KNIGHT, not Cavalier. Frederick now is my strongest unit, with strength at almost 50, and he gained needed speed and resistance from being a Dread Fighter. Now he can dish out serious punishment AND take it.

It might be a waste of time to you, but not to me. The effort was so worth it. I got myself a beastly Freddy. Not even Stahl is as good now, he's too slow.

Edited by Anacybele

This might be a stupid question (since the only game I've played is Awakening) but who is Jeigan? Is he like Fredrick or something? I'm guessing he starts out premoted like him, but I'm not sure...

Anyway, since everyone's talking about Fredrick, I kind of find him hard to train (everyone still has higher ratings than him even though I'm after Chapter 25), but once you take the time to train him, he's pretty good. It can be time-consuming sometimes, but it can be worth it depending on the person (I think it's worth it, plus I love training every single unit I recruit so... I'm not gonna leave Fredrick out). And of course, he's super helpful in the first part of the game, like everyone's been saying.

It is pretty funny, also would you say Finn in Gen 2 would also count as a Jeigan?

I totally would. And in FE5 too.

C'mon, he's the veteran advisor-type knight with the uber-lance. He's a Jeigan. Heck, FE5 even makes it a PITA to use him in endgame thanks to those indoor chapters.

I didn't find Finn horrible to use lategame (wasn't going for anything resembling fast though so if you're going for that context then disregard), but I've taken him to all the indoor chapters and so his sword rank didn't suck. Had my ladies mug a bunch of armors for their killing edges and that sufficed for my entire team, pretty much.

I didn't find Finn horrible to use lategame (wasn't going for anything resembling fast though so if you're going for that context then disregard), but I've taken him to all the indoor chapters and so his sword rank didn't suck. Had my ladies mug a bunch of armors for their killing edges and that sufficed for my entire team, pretty much.

Uh...I think they mean FE4!Fin.

EDIT IGNORE ME

Edited by Refa

I like FE5 Finn after I know that late game is nothing but Indoor Chapters so that you can spam those Brave Lance as much as you want and did not give a single fuck.

And then in late game Finn was all like "All right i'm done having a Blue Hair" and decided to wear his green hair wig, throw away his horse, and change his name into Sety and proceeds to dominate the late game

Edited by Eradicator Boner

Jagen is the original prepromoted veteran knight in Marth's games. That's why we call all the units that are similar to him in that way Jagens.

Yeah. We take the trusted veteran/advisor type who is indispensable early game, is usually packing a weapon beyond the dreams of your n00b units, but shouldn't be allowed to soak ALL the exp so that your n00b units get better, and we call him/her a Jagen.

There's Jagen and Arran and Oifaye and Finn and Marcus and Seth and Titania and Frederick. And then there's FE4's Gen1, in which Sigurd gets dubbed as "his own Jagen" even though the better candidate would be Cuan[*], IMO. And then there's Sothe, who is really his own thing IMO. And yes, Seth can technically soak up all the EXP and solo the game but looks like the game developers decided not to go that route a second time... yet. You can give Frederick Second Seals all you want, but his basic arc of usefulness is pure Jagen. I get more use out of Oifaye in late-game FE4 than I did out of Frederick when I wasn't trying to baby him along past mid-game.

* Especially with the unconfirmed story that the beta had Sigurd unpromoted at the start and Cuan as a Master Knight, making him a really blatant Jagen for Sigurd.

Yeah. We take the trusted veteran/advisor type who is indispensable early game, is usually packing a weapon beyond the dreams of your n00b units, but shouldn't be allowed to soak ALL the exp so that your n00b units get better, and we call him/her a Jagen.

There's Jagen and Arran and Oifaye and Finn and Marcus and Seth and Titania and Frederick. And then there's FE4's Gen1, in which Sigurd gets dubbed as "his own Jagen" even though the better candidate would be Cuan[*], IMO. And then there's Sothe, who is really his own thing IMO. And yes, Seth can technically soak up all the EXP and solo the game but looks like the game developers decided not to go that route a second time... yet. You can give Frederick Second Seals all you want, but his basic arc of usefulness is pure Jagen. I get more use out of Oifaye in late-game FE4 than I did out of Frederick when I wasn't trying to baby him along past mid-game.

* Especially with the unconfirmed story that the beta had Sigurd unpromoted at the start and Cuan as a Master Knight, making him a really blatant Jagen for Sigurd.

Also note than most people still refer to those characters as "Jeigans" given Jeigan was the original Japanese name of the character before FE11 was localized. Several people moved on calling the actual character Jagen, but the original name stuck for the archtype, since it was entirely a fan nomenclature.

Also, what is an Oifrey? (Again, FE noobiness...)

Jagen is the original prepromoted veteran knight in Marth's games. That's why we call all the units that are similar to him in that way Jagens.

Ah, okay. So he's like the original prepromoted Knight, like how Marth is the original first Lord. Thanks for clearing that up!

I've heard of Titania, she's a prepremoted knight and has red hair, right? I've also heard of Sothe, but I don't know much about him... (Except he's in Radiant Dawn)

Also note than most people still refer to those characters as "Jeigans" given Jeigan was the original Japanese name of the character before FE11 was localized. Several people moved on calling the actual character Jagen, but the original name stuck for the archtype, since it was entirely a fan nomenclature.

That's an interesting tidbit.

Edited by LuigiandShadowGirl

Also, what is an Oifrey? (Again, FE noobiness...)

"Oifey" was a prepromoted paladin in FE4 Generation 2. The term typically used for Jeigans who are useful throughout the whole game(though there is some debate as to whether the distinction really applies to Oifey).

Edited by shinpichu