Any Bravely Default players?

VincentASM

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming you're in the fort with the undead, right? Just in case you didn't know, you can kill the undead in one hit with Raise or a Phoenix Down. It doesn't always work but most of the time it will.

eisenburg area around the top csatle where kamiizumi is for undead is pretty great for grinding with the sage's staff because, as esme, said, raise has a chance to ko them instantly. don't forget to get the growth egg from norende if you're grinding jp or exp.

i'm not exactly at the end of the game, i'm just tying up loose sidequests. i could get to the end of the game but the completionist in me is saying to get everyone to max jobs before then lol

Still on Chapter 3, and. . .

Screw the Automatons. I'm out a huge chunk of change, thanks to those bastards. Turns out Judgment + Takeover + Thundara does enough damage to matter. Had to use SP to win - one well-timed Rejuvenation did the trick.

I still want More Money from the Merchant class as a regular skill. Then. . .Tiz will be absolutely insane.

Progress~!

Gotta go back through the mine again, but man does smacking things around with Aerora feel good! Praline can bite me - she took quite a bit of loose change to take down, but once she was gone, her mooks were no problem. Sleep Blade + Crescent Moon is hilarious.

Edited by eclipse

I'm considering getting Bravely Default, but I just found this in a review from Worth Playing...

"Chapter 5 involves a Groundhog Day-style reversal to the start of the game. All the bosses you beat became undefeated, and all the crystals you restored are returned to their former corruption. On the plus side, you retain your airship and all of your stats and abilities. You're expected to reignite the crystals again, but the big problem is that it's all recycled content. You can jump straight to the crystals instead of fighting every boss again, and the crystal dungeons remain mapped out and the treasure remains looted, though the enemies are slightly tougher.

This might just be an annoyance, but then Chapter 6 does it again. So does Chapter 7. So does Chapter 8. You'll spend four solid chapters hitting the same four dungeons again and again. Even with random encounters turned off, it's a long and tedious process. You can choose to end this cycle early if you want, but if you do, you're denied access to the final boss, ending plot, and special post-game video."

So let me get this straight: In Chapter 5 you have to revisit all dungeons, so it's padding. And then that chapter - which is already made of recycled content - is copy-pasted THREE TIMES to fill up the rest of the game. Are you kidding me? Copy-pasting content wholesale is the epitome of laziness. Imagine a book where Chapters 5, 6, 7, and 8 all had the exact same text. The absurdity of it is laughable. Please tell me if I misinterpreted this, because it sounds absolutely horrible!

@Zera:

To be honest, if you're into plot, those extra chapters each reveal a different side or personality of the bosses, lets you understand them better as 'people' and how things are not as black and white as they seem. And, you can speed through them since the bosses are easily accessible, you can turn off random encounters. Chapter 1~4 is much longer than 5~8, and 8 only has 2 NEW dungeons, you can pretty much ignore the rest as there's not quest for them. chapter 5~8 will probably take up only a quarter or less of the full game, and it's not devoid of interesting bits of lore. You can skip chapter 5 and 6 with NO consequence, but you need to make certain choices in chapter 7 to access 8.

It's not as bad as it sounds, but it depends on the player I guess.

I'm considering getting Bravely Default, but I just found this in a review from Worth Playing...

"Chapter 5 involves a Groundhog Day-style reversal to the start of the game. All the bosses you beat became undefeated, and all the crystals you restored are returned to their former corruption. On the plus side, you retain your airship and all of your stats and abilities. You're expected to reignite the crystals again, but the big problem is that it's all recycled content. You can jump straight to the crystals instead of fighting every boss again, and the crystal dungeons remain mapped out and the treasure remains looted, though the enemies are slightly tougher.

This might just be an annoyance, but then Chapter 6 does it again. So does Chapter 7. So does Chapter 8. You'll spend four solid chapters hitting the same four dungeons again and again. Even with random encounters turned off, it's a long and tedious process. You can choose to end this cycle early if you want, but if you do, you're denied access to the final boss, ending plot, and special post-game video."

So let me get this straight: In Chapter 5 you have to revisit all dungeons, so it's padding. And then that chapter - which is already made of recycled content - is copy-pasted THREE TIMES to fill up the rest of the game. Are you kidding me? Copy-pasting content wholesale is the epitome of laziness. Imagine a book where Chapters 5, 6, 7, and 8 all had the exact same text. The absurdity of it is laughable. Please tell me if I misinterpreted this, because it sounds absolutely horrible!

no

chapter 5, 6, 7 and 8 all have some special dialogue to show character to some of the bosses like the poster above me said. you also don't HAVE to revisit all the dungeons, most of them are skippable since you have an airship. It is also not tedious to get to the crystals, since the crystals can be accessed instantly when you enter the temple for 3/4 crystals. one of the crystals you have to run through the dungeon, but tbh it takes a max of like 5 minutes with encounters turned off. The copy paste does have a reason story wise, and it does take a toll on the actual characters in the game when they realize what is happening. oh also all the bosses that reappear, in the later repeats of chapters, they get endgame equipment you can steal, which is pretty useful. as awful as it sounds to repeat the same world 4 times, it's not as bad as the article makes it sound if you just want the game to be over.

no

chapter 5, 6, 7 and 8 all have some special dialogue to show character to some of the bosses like the poster above me said. you also don't HAVE to revisit all the dungeons, most of them are skippable since you have an airship. It is also not tedious to get to the crystals, since the crystals can be accessed instantly when you enter the temple for 3/4 crystals. one of the crystals you have to run through the dungeon, but tbh it takes a max of like 5 minutes with encounters turned off. The copy paste does have a reason story wise, and it does take a toll on the actual characters in the game when they realize what is happening. oh also all the bosses that reappear, in the later repeats of chapters, they get endgame equipment you can steal, which is pretty useful. as awful as it sounds to repeat the same world 4 times, it's not as bad as the article makes it sound if you just want the game to be over.

About the equipment :

Only Ch. 7 Boss have endgame equipments.

Ch 8 just have stealable Ether, for some obvious reasons.

About the chapter :

Chapter 5 is the less interresting of all

Chapter 6 allows you to have the final class, and Ch 7 and 8 adds more variety and challenge.

You can already ends the game as close as the end of Ch. 6, anyway, but the true ending is only after Ch. 8.

Honestly, I don't think it was that bad. Like other posters have said, there are lots of sidequests that you can do to see another "side" to the all the bosses you faced before. If you don't care about plot and character development, I guess it wouldn't matter to you, but I personally really liked seeing all the dialogue.

i don't particularly like traditional final fantasy games

will this game appeal to me

The game is VERY traditional FF- no ATB, no front/back row stuff, spells have to be bought (like in the first three FFs). So if you want to see if it'll appeal to you, I say try the demo. Give it a shot, and see from there.

no

Thanks for clearing that up. I figured it couldn't actually be that bad. The game once again looks appealing!

Oh, I'm playing through this one. My FC's in a sticky, I think. SEND ME INVITES TO MAKE MY NORENDE A METROPOLIS PLZ

Faster if you repost FC/PM people (like me). :P:

I think I might be getting this game either tomorrow or the day after.

It seems like many people here are already done with it?

I'm around 50 hours in and just started chapter 4, which I think is a bit over the halfway point. I haven't been going particularly slow so expect it to be a lengthy one!

Anyway some spoilery stuff to gush about the story so far... Don't read if you're not at chapter 4!

I just did the real Victor and Victoria fight and wooah was it frustrating! But also fun! It's one of my favourite boss fights in an RPG in recent memory. My strategy was to Reflect my whole team plus Victoria for when Victor cast Curada on her. It took a while to get rid of Victoria since I had pretty much only Edea constantly on the offensive. Once she went down it was much faster to finish off Victor.

And the feels during the fight... Agnès has only screamed like that a few times and it's always shocking since she's usually so reserved. She was totally right about Victoria being beyond forgiveness. It was awful what she did to Olivia even though I saw it coming.

I'm excited for the rest of this chapter. Eternia is not exactly what I was expecting with its white magic cables and apparently VERY advanced society. And I'm just on edge for the inevitable confrontation between Edea and her father... I'm expecting things are going to get very serious soon. *no spoilers!*

Other highlights: Qada's boss battle (took me ages to realize I had already purchased Dispel), the Ninja side quest, Mephilia and Artemia, the Red Mage side quest for developing Ringabel a bit... And the music!! Pretty much everything so far. They really made a great game here!

Right, so I'm in Ch.7 and so far I've really mixed opinions on this game. I guess I'll just kinda list how my feelings changed in chronological order

1. Through most of the beggining chapters I found the plot pretty uninteresting. Everytime a cutscene happened I just wanted it to be done so I could go get more jobs and learn skills (which, btw, is the best part of the game).
  2. Around Ch. 3 (I think) I started to become more interested in what was happening plot wise. The character's started to interest me more, though most of the interesting developement was from the villians. At this point I turned off the voices because damn... Tiz's sucks, Agnes' is headache inducing awful at times, and Ringabel's is only passable. Edea's is okay though.
  3. Ch.5 spoilers ahead

I got to Ch. 5 and realized I had to awaken the crystals again. "Well.... that seems kinda... lazy" I said to myself aloud. I can somewhat forgive it though since you get to fight the bosses from before when their stronger. That was fun. And that leads to the next chapter...

4. Ch. 6 Spoilers ahoy

At this point I'm pretty annoyed that I have to go through the whole crystal rigamaroll for the third time. You can fight the bosses again , but they've barely been upgraded and the same strategies from before work just as well. There's not that much story developement in this chapter either and any that is there could've easily been inserted into a previous or later chapter. The whole chapter was pointless filler and shouldn't even be in the game.

5. Ch. 7 spoilers derp

You have got to be kidding me. Did they really think having to redo the crystal bullshit again was a good idea? So freaking lazy. At least the sidequests are fun. They take several of the bosses from before and make you fight a group of them (usually 4) at the same time. They're pretty fun and challenging too. I'm about halfway through this chapter now.

So I guess my opinion of the game so far is that it's kinda dissappointing. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game. The battle and job systems are great fun and the story is alright 'til you get to Ch.5. I just feel like all the pointless padding from Ch.5 - Ch. 7 shouldn't have been there. They could've done so much more with those chapters to make them feel like a new twist on familiar territory but it just comes off lazy. That's what's so annoying about this game. There's so many great ideas about it that should make it an amazing game, but the poor design choices of the second half just weigh it down so much that it's only "good".

TLDR Version: It's good but meaningless repitition and padding in the second half weighs it down a lot and the game doesn't live up to its potential.

but that's just my opinion. I still have to finish the rest of Ch. 7 and onward (which is close to the end).

My FC is 0490-5014-2440, lemme know if you add me (and give me your FC if you do). ESAU, I'll grant you a villager.

EDIT: Jacked someone else's Chapter 4 grind strategy. Suddenly Takeover is awesome.

Alas, Victoria counts as human, and Rangers don't get Human Target, and Rippers are a little inefficient. Thus, I threw money at both of them until they collapsed under the sheer weight of my wealth.

Edited by eclipse