I've been thinking about starting a new run of Radiant Dawn in the next few days, with a twist: I am only going to use Units who are not commonly used by myself and others. I'm already set on a few, mainly Leonardo, Meg, Astrid and Makalov, however, I'm looking for suggestions. Who are some characters you find underused or just not very good? I'd love to hear!

Thanks for all the support so far everyone, I really appreciate it! I do have another question though: Since I am likely to use a few Laguz units in this run, how exactly do you recommend I use/train them? I have never actually fully raised or used a Laguz long term (minue Reyson) before and am not sure how to compensate for their low EXP gain. Any suggestions? The best I can think of is giving 99 BEXP before and letting them get basically a free level per map and increasing their Growths with Blossom.

Oh man, making Tormod viable... It'll be a challenge alright XD

I dunno what mode you're playing, but Tormod on easy or normal is actually easier than expected to get to 3rd tier in the chapter he joins, since you can go back to base and equip Paragon on him and then chip for massive exp gain. Vika on the other hand... good luck with her.

But yeah, try Tormod.

As for laguz exp gain, they gain a good chunk of exp if they fight untransformed and manage to do damage, rather than gaining gauge. Most of the laguz get their asses kicked fighting like that, though, but if you use Mordecai or Muarim, they should be able to handle it. But they definitely do benefit heavily from BEXP, and their exp gain will accelerate in part 4 just like everyone else.

Edited by Samias

I dunno what mode you're playing, but Tormod on easy or normal is actually easier than expected to get to 3rd tier in the chapter he joins, since you can go back to base and equip Paragon on him and then chip for massive exp gain. Vika on the other hand... good luck with her.

But yeah, try Tormod.

As for laguz exp gain, they gain a good chunk of exp if they fight untransformed and manage to do damage, rather than gaining gauge. Most of the laguz get their asses kicked fighting like that, though, but if you use Mordecai or Muarim, they should be able to handle it. But they definitely do benefit heavily from BEXP, and their exp gain will accelerate in part 4 just like everyone else.

I intend to play on Normal Mode for this romp. Also, thanks for reminding me I can go back to base in 4-4! I totally forgot! Alright Tormod, it's you, me, Paragon and an hour or two of my life I'll never get back XD

He can also get a good amount of levels in 1-final. I believe you get paragon in 1-6-2 so that always helps.

That's true, I won't be using a lot of the Brigade regulars either, so he may just get a level or two there. Alright, Tormods in! So far I'm set on Leo, Meg, Astrid, Makalov, Devdan and Tormod for endgame. I'm tempted to bring either Sigrun or Tanith as well, as I almost never see them being used. Also, in terms of Laguz, how many do you think is wise to train? I don't want them stealing too much from the characters who need it XD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you want underrated units or just bad units? Because there's a difference. For example, Meg and Fiona are both bad. But Meg is underrated while Fiona is just bad.

Incidentally, Meg.