about the story...

ClassyWolf

I know people have said this a lot, but the story is kinda... weak.

it's really basic like most Fire Emblem stories, but this feels... lacking.

I really missed the narrator in this game. You know, the guy who tells a bit of backstory and things about the world and what's about to happen in the chapter, just before the chapter.

And sometimes the story gets just outright silly, like the avatars plan how to stop validar in chapter 23.

One examples of what I would have written differently is chapter 14 (changed to survive chapter), no I wouldn't have taken out the part when then burned the fleet, but would have had that one group would try to stall the fleet, another group prepares boats to collide with the enemy (prepares in a sense like trying to get them to stay on course with as few or no crewmembers), the other party signals the first party who then gets out of there, the fleet they are fighting regroups to take on the next ships, and the ships that were sent out sets the enemy ships on fire.

At least I think this would be better than having the main characters (chrom even beeing a allied leader of regna ferox) jump into the soon to be oil on fire water.

Another chapter I would have dealt with differently would be chapter 23 (surprise). I would have taken the invisible wall away, no enemies in the begining, you choose your units and place them, but they will come later and the chapter begins with Validar being the only enemy and three forced units: Chrom, avatar and Lucina. The start would play out pretty much like premonition, but instead of avatar getting hit Lucina would knock him/her down (both lucina and avatar dropping to the floor), bad future prevented (sorta), rest of the allies arriving, enemy units and validar arriving, and Validar tells you how pissed off he is on lucina ruining his plan and battle commence.

rest of the chapter plays out pretty much the same.

Do you think these are better ideas for events in the chapter than the games own? and do you have own ideas how the story could have been slightly altered in the chapters?

Edited by that one person

It could've been made longer, for one thing. Most of the previous FE games have been longer than Awakening. PoR has 30 chapters, RD has 45 or something like that, FE7 has around 30, including Lyn's story, etc. It's true that Awakening also has all of those side chapters and DLC maps, but I don't think it would've hurt to make the main story just a little longer.

Ever since Future Past came out I've thought the plot would have been much better if Tiki and Lucina had actually known each other like in the DLC. For one thing, Lucina disguising herself as Marth would make sense, and it could have also tied into the Walhart arc. My thought is that future Tiki would have known her past self would be curious enough to let someone resembling and calling themselves Marth come up to the Mila Shrine, which Walhart was trying to take over iirc (been a while since I played through the story). So this way Lucina and the other kids actually have a mission plan: meet Chrom, bring him to Valm, and rescue Tiki so she can aid the group.

Ever since Future Past came out I've thought the plot would have been much better if Tiki and Lucina had actually known each other like in the DLC. For one thing, Lucina disguising herself as Marth would make sense, and it could have also tied into the Walhart arc. My thought is that future Tiki would have known her past self would be curious enough to let someone resembling and calling themselves Marth come up to the Mila Shrine, which Walhart was trying to take over iirc (been a while since I played through the story). So this way Lucina and the other kids actually have a mission plan: meet Chrom, bring him to Valm, and rescue Tiki so she can aid the group.

Honestly, I never understood what Tiki was doing in Valm and I'm acctually curious of how the entirety of Valm suddenly converted to worship Naga when they had their own two god: Mila and Doma. Mainly because I don't see why they would have the need or will to convert to belive in another god. they get their promotions from them, they can get stronger thanks to them (the wierd stone faces next to the statues) and it's because of them that crops grow.

this is just something that bothered me because I don't see why they would just abandon their own gods.

Also Maybe someone can explain this to me but I don't really understand why Tiki would wan't to be servant of Naga after what Naga and Gotoh put her trough.

Also, If I understood right from fe 3 and 12, if the seal is broken the earth dragons(I have heard the theory about Grima being the earth dragons which could explain where they went) will be freed and the dragons will go feral, which is pointed out that if the shield isn't restored and returned to it's right place, Tiki must remain asleep because she is a danger to the world. And because there are almost no dragons (manaketes) left, it probably happened (that they went feral and soon died). And if someone is going to say that she slept until she could controll her powers (was this mentioned in awakening?), when did she gain the reputation of "the voice of Naga" and had the time to convert a continent?

Bantu (whom Nowi i think refers to) got spared because he pretty much abandoned his identity as a Dragon by getting rid of his dragon stone.

... or maybe I have completely missunderstood something

... and for some reason I think awakening might have been a bit better if it was it's own thing instead of a sequel

Actually, throughout most of the games they appeared in, Manaketes/Dragons have had issues with slow reproduction and persecution by humans. Those are much more likely causes of their disappearance. Tiki is safe from the last one because an entire continent revers her, but Nowi and Nah have troubles there. In the ending of Mystery of the Emblem, Tiki went back to live with humans, kept safe by the power of the Emblem.

The main problem with Awakening's story is that it tried to do too much in too little time, and tried to tell the story through cutscenes alone. It worked out fine (mostly) with the gameplay where they took the best of each past FE, but the story? Nope. Case in point: the Valm arc is a rehash of Thracia 776's story. Flavia and Basilio = August and Dorias, Chrom's army = Seliph/Celice's army, Say'ri = Leif, Fort Steiger = Lenster castle, and there are similarities between Yen'Fay/Hannibal or Altenna, Excellus/Raydrik, Walhart/Travant and so on. The problem is that it's told in 6 chapters (12 and 14 don't count because they're not in Valm) instead of 25 plus sidequests. There's no room to do anything. Also, Thracia used gameplay to back up the story with fatigue, fog of war, and different objectives, while all of Awakening's chapters were simple "kill boss" objectives. Then there's the issue of recruits, Thracia had a ton, all of whom were somehow affected by the war, and Awakening had two, one of whom was optional and only relevant for one chapter. Some liberation war.

The first arc was also similar to FE6 (Ylisse = Lycia, Ferox = Etruria, Plegia = Bern) only it consisted primarily of running back and forth looking for reinforcements, which is boring.

So the two biggest reasons it failed, in my opinion, are that they tried to do too much in too little time and that the story was completely separate from the gameplay. In Genealogy, the map design is not only interesting and varied from a gameplay perspective, but when you zoom out, you can clearly see the features of the continent, while in Awakening, you often aren't even fighting in the same direction as you're moving on the world map.

Actually, throughout most of the games they appeared in, Manaketes/Dragons have had issues with slow reproduction and persecution by humans. Those are much more likely causes of their disappearance. Tiki is safe from the last one because an entire continent revers her, but Nowi and Nah have troubles there. In the ending of Mystery of the Emblem, Tiki went back to live with humans, kept safe by the power of the Emblem.

Didn't Gotoh pretty much tell Marth at the end of fe3 & 12 that he had saved the dragons when he returned it to the altar, since the dragons who became feral were steril, and since the seal was restored they could apparently again maintain the form of a dragon (or that is at least how I understood it).

I understand that she went to live with humans, but the seal which keeps them from going feral is intact as long as the shield of seals is on it's pedestal and has the spheres on the shield (shield removed from it's place in awakening and spheres removed from the shield). Wasn't she put to sleep so that she wouldn't go feral untill the shield was restored? and what is she doing in valm? and how did she get the people to stop worshiping Mila and Doma and start to worship Naga since:

Honestly, I never understood what Tiki was doing in Valm and I'm acctually curious of how the entirety of Valm suddenly converted to worship Naga when they had their own two god: Mila and Doma. Mainly because I don't see why they would have the need or will to convert to belive in another god. they get their promotions from them, they can get stronger thanks to them (the wierd stone faces next to the statues) and it's because of them that crops grow.

this is just something that bothered me because I don't see why they would just abandon their own gods.

So the two biggest reasons it failed, in my opinion, are that they tried to do too much in too little time and that the story was completely separate from the gameplay. In Genealogy, the map design is not only interesting and varied from a gameplay perspective, but when you zoom out, you can clearly see the features of the continent, while in Awakening, you often aren't even fighting in the same direction as you're moving on the world map.

definetely agree that the story needed more time,

gameplay beeing detached from story anoys me only because a lot of it could have been remedied just by having more more goals, like chapter 10, change from defeat commander to escape.

The map design would not have been so bad if the enemy placment would have been better, most o the guys you face in the first and third arc are military leaders so it's strange that the unit placement is so random (bandits and undead I can understand, but not soliders and their commanders) as well as the AI beeing pretty much rush and wolfpack. It's these things combined that makes the chapters with wide open maps feel like endurance rouds.

And should apparently go and play Thracia...

Basically, it tried to do a lot and ended up not developping some characters properly. Walhart has a lot of potential, yet he only appears on two chapters. The war with Plegia is dealt with too quickly.

I'd rather have a FE fixed on a single plot (like FE6's war against Bern, FE8's war against Grado, FE9's war against Daein and so on...) than one with a ton of plots.

Honestly, I never understood what Tiki was doing in Valm and I'm acctually curious of how the entirety of Valm suddenly converted to worship Naga when they had their own two god: Mila and Doma.

Maybe their gods are long gone, while Tiki is conveniently there?

Or maybe Mila and Doma were Divine Dragons all along (IIRC Valm worship the Divine Dragons, not Naga specifically)?

In any case, I do agree the story could have been better if there was more time devoted to telling it. Maybe IS tried to dumb down the story for newer folks.

Edited by VincentASM

Or maybe Mila and Doma were Divine Dragons all along (IIRC Valm worship the Divine Dragons, not Naga specifically)?

In any case, I do agree the story could have been better if there was more time devoted to telling it. Maybe IS tried to dumb down the story for newer folks.

I don't think that they dumbed it down for newcomers. The most plausible explanation I saw was that since Awakening could very well have been the last FE game, they just merged the different stories they had planned together. Maybe Walhart and Valm would have gotten their own game and Awakening focused on the Ylisse/Plegia conflict otherwise.

I don't think that they dumbed it down for newcomers. The most plausible explanation I saw was that since Awakening could very well have been the last FE game, they just merged the different stories they had planned together. Maybe Walhart and Valm would have gotten their own game and Awakening focused on the Ylisse/Plegia conflict otherwise.

I think that it is quite likely that this is exactly what happened. Because this is the very reason why the script in FE10 was dumped down in the first place.

I quote from the Nintendo Dream Interview (http://www.serenesforest.net/fe10/interview10_2.html) :

Maeda: ...Perhaps Fire Emblem enthusiasts would enjoy a long and deep scenario, but for more casual gamers this can make it harder to get into the game. On the other hand, fans of the series may feel unsatisfied with a lighter and shorter story. Therefore, we’ve modified the dialogue scenes to be a bit longer for the Hard Mode and a bit shorter on Normal.

And given how bad that game bombed, I wouldn't be surprised if they concluded that telling a good story just doesn't pay off. After all, even back then they already felt it wasn't worth the cost to localize the full script.

Edited by BrightBow

And given how bad that game bombed, I wouldn't be surprised if they concluded that telling a good story just doesn't pay off. After all, even back then they already felt it wasn't worth the cost to localize the full script.

And Awakening exploded in popularity with just a "good enough" story for newcomers. So... uhh... what message is that sending to the developers?

...not saying I still don't love the game to death... I don't really care about story in FE all that much. Premise. Goal. I'm good.

I'd more imagine they intentionally made the mandatory story brief as a part of the design of the game, to make it more suitable for portable play sessions . The vast amount of the text in the game centers around optional content like support conversations for more dedicated players or allows the player just to read things about the characters they have the most interest in.

One thing I noticed years back from Radiant Dawn(even with the shorter normal mode dialogue in the western release) was just how much of the play time of a playthrough is dedicated to reading the between chapter text that when I played it again and skipped the story sections the overall play time was significantly lower. With a really involved story like that it can be a bit of a disaster if players aren't interested in the characters especially if a main character has a divided fan response(Micaiah for example). RD and Awakening are sort of polar opposites in how they handle it, most of RDs text is the "mandatory" text before and after chapters, most of Awakening's is optional support conversations.

Edited by arvilino

I'm starting to wonder if anyone read the last sentece I wrote in the opening:

Do you think these are better ideas for events in the chapter than the games own? and do you have own ideas how the story could have been slightly altered in the chapters?

Edit: and I should probably also try to stay on topic.

You're right , it's not really clear. I feel like they had some good ideas for callbacks the old fans would be intrigued by, like putting Tiki in the game, but left them at that instead of really working with the established canon or even really weaving them into Awakening's plot. Same with Marth, there's really no (convincing) reason why Lucina disguises herself as him, except to get fans interested. Since we now know IS were operating on the assumption this could be the last game I can forgive the plot for not being very good, but I really hope they realize it needed more work and that this doesn't become the standard for future games...

You're right , it's not really clear. I feel like they had some good ideas for callbacks the old fans would be intrigued by, like putting Tiki in the game, but left them at that instead of really working with the established canon or even really weaving them into Awakening's plot. Same with Marth, there's really no (convincing) reason why Lucina disguises herself as him, except to get fans interested. Since we now know IS were operating on the assumption this could be the last game I can forgive the plot for not being very good, but I really hope they realize it needed more work and that this doesn't become the standard for future games...

My trouble is that I don't know if the stoty is meant for newcomers or veternas, because if you are a newcomer, you miss a lot of tings that are throwbacks to older games as well as lore and history of the continets, but if you are a veteran, you know what they tell wrong, like there existing only one falchion, while there acctually were another one in Valm, formerly known as Valencia.

edit: and while I'm glad fire emblem did'nt stop, I really just hope I wont' run in to people who will use "well awakening saved the fracise" as an argument about awakeing beeing better than another game in the series (personaly I was dissapointed with awakeing).

Don't know if there are that kind of people here, saw a them on gamefaqs, and then I just stopped going there.. all though that was a while back.

I give it a shot then. I would change the ending (and a lot of the game, really.) to be about Lucina and not about Avatar.

I consider the entire focus ion the Avatar at the end extremely awful. It makes no logical sense for Robin's life to be connected to Grima's.

Now logic often gets in the way of a good story. But the problem is that this stupid set up doesn't have a payoff.

It doesn't cause drama because we all know they are not going to kill her off. Heck, they literally gave the resolution for that dilemma away right when we first learn about it. It's fake drama at it's dumbest.

And there is nothing else coming from it. There aren't any interesting discussions about "the needs of the many" either. Literally every PC's just kisses the butt of the Avatar, no matter what she does.

Plus, how absurd is it that literally everyone in the party will happily burden a future generation with a worldeating dragongod... ....in a game that is about freaking generations?

The scenario I propose instead is this: After Grima's defeat, Lucina is about to disappear because of a time paradox.

Lucina knew all of this (it wouldn't be much of a sacrifice if she was caught by surprise. And she must have contact with Naga in order to travel in time in the first place) but kept it from the party because being treated like someone whose days are numbered isn't pretty. However, even this time paradox able to break the bonds she forged during her stay. So after the forces of causality decided to give up and go home, she ultimately keeps existing.

At this point in the story, it's actually possible that Lucina might die since it's the very end of the story. Especially with another Lucina around, it's fairly believable that the story might go this route.

It could be easily justified due to he changes in the timeline. Since Lucina is a product of the timeline devastated by Grima, killing Grima will also wipe her out of existence along with her future.

However, smaller changes (like Lucina's own role in his defeat) is something a timeline can adapt too. After all, technically Chrom could have slain Grima himself.

And since there is a certain flavor of logic to it, it doesn't need to be given away ahead of time. It can be somewhat accepted when it happens.

Edited by BrightBow

I give it a shot then. I would change the ending (and a lot of the game, really.) to be about Lucina and not about Avatar.

I consider the entire focus ion the Avatar at the end extremely awful. It makes no logical sense for Robin's life to be connected to Grima's.

Now logic often gets in the way of a good story. But the problem is that this stupid set up doesn't have a payoff.

It doesn't cause drama because we all know they are not going to kill her off. Heck, they literally gave the resolution for that dilemma away right when we first learn about it. It's fake drama at it's dumbest.

And there is nothing else coming from it. There aren't any interesting discussions about "the needs of the many" either. Literally every PC's just kisses the butt of the Avatar, no matter what she does.

Plus, how absurd is it that literally everyone in the party will happily burden a future generation with a worldeating dragongod... ....in a game that is about freaking generations?

just out of curiosity, how would Grima come to be in your version? like does Validar become Grima?

Alright. I'll bite as well.

I want to see a version of the story where Ferox doesn't exist. No Flavia, no Basilio, and especially no stupid army for Chrom to run to. The game otherwise continues normally up until Emmeryn dies (Chrom leads his Shepherds alone into Plegia to rescue her), and instead of having Ferox to fall back on, Virion offers Chrom asylum in Rosanne. After some persuasion from Frederick and Avatar, Chrom accepts, and the group purloins a ship from Plegia and flees to Valm. Unfortunately Valm has fallen under Walhart's control and Virion (and by extent Chrom) get sucked into the resistance. Once Walhart is toppled, Chrom borrows some resistance troops to defeat Plegia and rescue his home, and returns, at which the game's third arc continues normally (although it starts with an assault on Plegia Castle instead of an invite there).

just out of curiosity, how would Grima come to be in your version? like does Validar become Grima?

I only meant in the sense that killing Grima would also mean that Robin drops over death. That's like saying that if I die, all my blood relatives die too.

Not to mention even if it was true, if Robin was willing to die, Grima could be stopped just by killing Robin on the spot.

So in my version, Robin would still be needed for the ritual to work.

Edit:

Speaking of Ferox, I would let Ferox stay but entirely change it's role at the beginning.

Because everything up there was dumb. There is a tournament where their leaders prove their might by having others fight for them and Lucina attacks Chrom for no reason after Flavia tricks Chrom into thinking that the only way to get Ferox support would be to risk his life for her despite Basillo being an OK guy, who is never called out for that.

Ferox would become the antagonist at the beginning, due to Plegia's shenanigans actually working. Not an unreasonable conclusion due to Emmeryn's bad reputation and her crusader father's lack of hesitation in causing bloodbaths in foreign counties. It isn't until they are defeated and at the mercy of Chrom, who has no intention of killing them, that they realize that Ylisse wasn't there foe.

Which is good, because Plegia used the absence of the main army to attack the capital. (Why did Gangrel even bother with his bandit distractions when he could have just steamrolled the Ylisse army anytime?)

While the castle is under siege, Lucina messes with history by catching a man red handed who would have allowed enemy troops into the castle and consequently brought it down.

She expects this to buy enough time for Chrom to return to the capital. However, this leads to Gangrel threatening to burn down the entire capital if Emmeryn doesn't capitulate.

So instead of giving up her life to provide moral support by dying in front of them, Emmeryn dies because she very literally protected the life of her people.

Edited by BrightBow

I only meant in the sense that killing Grima would also mean that Robin drops over death. That's like saying that if I die, all my blood relatives die too.

Especially in the way it's executed: It just gets quickly thrown in and immediately accepted by the characters.

I'm guessing, for lack of a better example, that it works more like Davy Jones' heart in Pirates of the Caribbean. They're a part of eachother, and killing one would mortally wound the other. What legitimately doesn't make sense is that Avatar didn't revive Grima, his future self did, so he shouldn't have been linked...

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

I think the problem with FE13's story is that it tried to do too much, without really expanding on anything. I've heard someone else say this before, and I apologize that I cannot remember who or where, but apparently FE13 tries to take things that "worked" in the previous FE games and tried to cram them all into one game without really understanding how these things worked. In a way, that makes so much sense.

However, the story in itself isn't BAD, it just needed to be expanded more and the characters need to be smarter. Way smarter. Emmeryn, why on Earth would you go back to Ylisstol after Cordelia's pegasus knight squad gave up their lives so you could escape? Why couldn't chapter 7 have ended with Emmeryn and Chrom parting ways as Emmeryn went to the "other place" she was going to hide at, except that Plegia was tipped off by the traitor hierarch and they knew she was going to be there? Why did Chrom just up and completely forget about Plegia after he defeated Gangrel? Aren't victorious countries supposed to keep tabs on defeated countries to make sure they don't do something funny? I'm also pretty sure you should know who its new king is before two years later, when you need their money.

Valm kind of feels like a trainwreck, especially compounded with chapter 13. So ... Validar is obviously evil, supposed to be dead, and just gloated about being the avatar's father. So ignoring Plegia completely for ~6 chapters is a good idea, right? And don't get me started on the final arc of the game, I'll just never stop.

Paralogues popping up at times when they REALLY don't make sense don't really help with the "urgency" of the game. FE8 had a world map system, but in certain situations they FORCED you to move onto the next chapter. It's silly that a paralogue opens up after Emmeryn's death and you don't have to move onto chapter 10 immediately when you're running from Plegia!

However, the story in itself isn't BAD, it just needed to be expanded more and the characters need to be smarter. Way smarter. Emmeryn, why on Earth would you go back to Ylisstol after Cordelia's pegasus knight squad gave up their lives so you could escape?

Marth: I'm gonna sit in this castle and Gra can take it over my dead body!

Fin: Lord Leaf, I know I've received direct orders from the King to take you to safety, but I cannot let Dorias fight alone! I must return to Lenster and aid in their defense!

Seth: Forgive me, Princess Eirika, but I must halt our escape to duel this creepy blue-haired wyvern guy!

Important people trying to do that isn't actually that uncommon in FE games. Fortunately, Marth had Malladus to drag him off, Fin had Raquesis to bring him to his senses, and Seth only was injured and escaped with his life.

My opinion is that people complain too much about silly things.

1) Chrom left Plegia unattended after the war and people thought it was stupid. Well, the Western world left Germany unattended after WW1 and thought the Versailles Treaty would be enough to stop them. They watched Hitler rise to power and still did nothing, because hey, he was fighting communists. Hitler invades Poland and nothing. Only when he decides to focus fire on France, they see the danger of his actions. How can I blame Chrom for ignoring Plegia in such light? To him and all the others, Validar was dead (killed in Chapter 6). He wouldn't have guessed who Validar was until he met him in person. He knew his appearance but not his name. If a messenger tells him that "a guy named Validar is the new king of Plegia", he wouldn't know who the guy was until he met Validar in person. But we knew who Validar was and, since we're plot-aware, we can see Chrom was stupid, but put yourself in Chrom's shoes for a moment and you'll see things aren't that easy. He was busy with rebuilding Ylisse, his marriage and the pregnancy of his wife.

2) Plegia had as much interest in stopping Valm than Chrom did, because if Walhart wins the war, Grima is stopped. Also, Validar can't do shit with Walhart still in the picture, because Walhart has one of the Fire Emblem gemstones in his possession, so Validar can't perform reverse Awakening and summon Grima even if he managed to steal the Fire Emblem from Chrom. Therefore, Plegia theoretically isn't a threat. They would end up being a threat anyway because that's what the timeline dictates, but realistically, during the Valm arc, Plegia was probably in the weakest position of all the realms. Valm was a more immediate threat to Ylisse than Plegia.

3) Emmeryn's actions make sense because leaving the kingdom unattended would be disastrous for Ylisse's morale. Who cares if Marth successfully fled in a previous game, I'd say he was in the wrong and it only worked for him because he wasn't the king like Emmeryn was. The game makes it sound like, if Emmeryn had fled with Chrom, Plegia would've won the war, because with no Emmeryn sacrifice, Plegia's army remains rallied around Gangrel and Plegia stands a very realistic chance of winning. Chrom's only chance is relying on something he doesn't know about: the timeline. Since Gangrel's defeat has to happen at some point, Chrom would end up winning the war at some point. But at what cost? It would be a pyrrhic victory and Emmeryn would likely be viewed as the exalt who abandoned her people in the middle of war, because a victory in this scenario would be more Ferox's doing than Ylisse.

4) Chrom left Ylisse to fight Valm. Robb Stark in A Song of Ice and Fire also leaves Winterfell (his home kingdom) to fight the Lannisters. It ends up being a stupid move because of Theon Greyjoy's betrayal, but he was winning battle after battle and, if not for some crucial mistakes which led to his fall, had a very realistic chance of taking King's Landing. We could criticize the story because the fact he leaves Ylisse unattended doesn't really bite him in the back, but in which circumstances would it be a bad move? As explained in #2, Plegia was no threat and wanted to remain masquerading as Ylisse's ally because they also wanted to stop Walhart.

I have my own complaints about Awakening's story (it should've had more chapters, and other small things like Basilio not revealing he had one of the gemstones until he was about to die, which felt contrived) but IMO, a lot of what's in this thread can be satisfactorily explained within the limits of the story. And regarding Awakening's rewriting of some canon events of other games, I sort of believe Awakening is its own canon despite having links to Marth's story for example. It's not a direct continuation of Shadow Dragon, so these things can be forgiven.

Edited by Malebolganone

And regarding Awakening's rewriting of some canon events of other games, I sort of believe Awakening is its own canon despite having links to Marth's story for example. It's not a direct continuation of Shadow Dragon, so these things can be forgiven.

I think it would have been better if it was its own thing and not a sequel, since then it wouldn't have to worry about canon. However it has way to many refrences to previous fe for me to ignore like marth, tiki, the altar, the shield of seals, the dreadlord, the holy weapons, the continents.

If they want people like me to stop complaining about continuity, they should make it its own thing with no connection to the other games (well, exept the ordinary things we see often like manaketes and Anna.)

And it doesen't help to say "its its own thing" when it has such a clear connection to to earlier games, and then it has to worry about canon.