Need JRPGs

Chiki

This game was awesome, I even kept my list of spells that I made...

I really should finish it, one day... Or rather start anew, because it's a while since I last played.

I recently discovered the Glory of Heracles series. There's a game on DS and the 3rd game was fan-translated recently.

The main interest is that it is based heavily on the Greek Mythology instead of usual high-fantasy. Each game follow a bunch of amnesiac immortals.

The DS instalment is pretty basic actually, but still fun. Random battles are long, frequent and annoying though. It doesn't takes itself really seriously.

Glory of Heracles III on SNES... I'm not really far on, but the scenario is pretty... outrageous, so far.

For example, there's a city that is blocked by guards. To enter into it you have to first steal an old couple's dead girl's clothes in a nearby town. You put the clothes on (The MC is a guy) and sell yourself to the local slave dealer.

When you don't need to put woman's clothes, you have to jump for really high places.

You can also have 10 or more party memebers more than once (It's actually 9 identical characters sharing the same spot. For example, I'm now captain of a Spartan troups. they have 225 HP, so each time they lost 25 HP, I lost a member and some attack power.)

On others game : Phantom Brave is a pretty interresting game. Its main interrest is its unique gameplay. First, there is no grid. You can walk freely across the battle field. The main gameplay mechanic is "Confine". Except Marona, every character is a ghost. You need to confine them in the diffeent elements of the battle field. For example a character confined in a rock will have increased defence and attack at the cost of its speed.

My favorite aspect of the gameplay is that abbsolutely everything can be used as weapon. Always dreamed of beating up your ennemies with a trolley, a skull, or starfish ? Now you can. Different items use different stats ton attack. For example, Tree attack are HP based, Rock are Def Based and Weed are Speed based.

The story is a pure tear jerker : Marona's parents were killed when she was young. Since she have the ability to see ghosts, she is called "the possessed" and feared/hated by everyone. Her only friend is Ash, a friend of her parents that decided to protect her.

She is actually a really nice girl, who accept to help others for free (It's not as if anyone will pay her anything, given who she are).

Don't worry, though. After showing you how terrible her life is in the first few chapters, things will go better.

Edited by Edea the Brave

Not to jump on someone else's topic, but is there a way to list some of the recommended DS/3DS RPGS that are must plays? I have a wii u also, but most of my gameplay is 3ds. Anyways, I currently have (not necessarily played or beat):

Etrian odyssey IV

ETrian Odyssey Untold

Fire emblem awakening

Pokemon x

Mario and luigi dream team

Not a huge start but enough hours to last a while, but are there any past rpg games that I should pick up in the future for my 3DS?

I really should finish it, one day... Or rather start anew, because it's a while since I last played.

How far in Rudra did you get?

On others game : Phantom Brave is a pretty interresting game. Its main interrest is its unique gameplay. First, there is no grid. You can walk freely across the battle field. The main gameplay mechanic is "Confine". Except Marona, every character is a ghost. You need to confine them in the diffeent elements of the battle field. For example a character confined in a rock will have increased defence and attack at the cost of its speed.

My favorite aspect of the gameplay is that abbsolutely everything can be used as weapon. Always dreamed of beating up your ennemies with a trolley, a skull, or starfish ? Now you can. Different items use different stats ton attack. For example, Tree attack are HP based, Rock are Def Based and Weed are Speed based.

The story is a pure tear jerker : Marona's parents were killed when she was young. Since she have the ability to see ghosts, she is called "the possessed" and feared/hated by everyone. Her only friend is Ash, a friend of her parents that decided to protect her.

She is actually a really nice girl, who accept to help others for free (It's not as if anyone will pay her anything, given who she are).

Don't worry, though. After showing you how terrible her life is in the first few chapters, things will go better.

The only thing I didn't like about PB was the 100 floor business to the randomly chanced divine sword or something, and the fact that your allies on phantom isle starting hating and sometimes hitting you for no good reason

Not to jump on someone else's topic, but is there a way to list some of the recommended DS/3DS RPGS that are must plays?

How 'bout reading EVERYTHING in this topic, since it basically answers your question?

How 'bout reading EVERYTHING in this topic, since it basically answers your question?

Yeah I know...sorry it was late when I posted and I didn't get a chance to sit down and read through all of them. I was going to try to get through them this afternoon after work. With kids, life and other things my forum and game time are limited. Sorry, didn't mean to sound lazy.

There's also Suidoken Tierkreis on DS. t have a story about multiple worlds and 108 recruitable characters. It's a RPG and not a Strategy RPG.

Luminous Arc 2 is pretty fun (The first Luminous arc is horribly unbalanced, with 99% being a real breeze and boring as hell, but That One Battle being absolutely hellish hard.) You don't need to know the first one to play the 22, because it's pretty different. You'll miss one or two references and cameos, but nothing important.

Luminous Arc 2 is really fan service heavy (There's the infamous Spa Quest who allows you to see your characters on swimsuits... or without in 2 cases). , sometimes to cringe worthy level. Its main problem is how it reuses the same boss over and over. Sometimes twice in a row. (And not enough involves the Rosetta Rosso... )

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to just mention Trails and like, nothing else but then I went back to the first page and noticed that was the game the TC originally mentioned... XD

I've been playing Sen no Kiseki to bide my time but it's Japanese only and will cost a pretty penny so eh

I'll just resuggest the Ys series and TWEWY I guess, most of the notable series have already been said if not all of them all the others I know of are probably Jap-only lol

Oriental Blue have been fan translated recently, and is a really great game.

I tried The Magical World of Wozz, and it's tons of fun. It's a game who allows you to control a Snake Tank.

The story is pretty simple : the world of Wozz is threaten by the demon Balam. The great mage Sullivan uses all its power to summon a legendary hero from earth, but summon 3 Kids instead. You can chose one of the 3, which would make some small difference : The Japanese genius inventor Leona Kitazato, the hothead American archer prodigy, and the shy Chinese psychic Chun Jintao.

Leona can build items, weapons, Vehicles, and Robots.

I have absolutely no idea why this game was never officilaly translated, because I'm sure it could have worked really well.

Edited by Totally Radical Judge

I'd suggest Arc Rise Fantasia for the Wii. It's a game that IMO is hard to get into, but it's very satisfying and rewarding when you get the hang of the game.

You'll just have to watch out for a hard first try for several bosses, and horrendous voice acting. I personally thought the voice acting was funny bad, but others will think otherwise. The game has Baten Kaitos 1 tier voice acting in that they used actors from the same studio.

Since JRPG is a broad genre, Dark Souls. Caution, planning and tenacity are heavily rewarded. It's how difficulty should be handled.

The MegaTen/Persona series is a good turned-based line of games with unconventional plots.

Most people already recommended quite a few that I was thinking.

So I will just name a few others.

The Disgaea series: It is a Strategy RPG series that boasts enormous amounts of grinding, lots of strategy, lots of awesome characters and it is just downright fun.

Soul Nomad & the World Eaters: It is a memorable and complex strategy RPG series, with a very good plot that will make you keep guessing, great gameplay, and one of the greatest soundtracks of the PS2.

Also... the dubbing is fantastic.

And in a pretty cool move, once you finish the main story, you are allowed to take a new path, where the main character refuses to take up the quest to Save the World and instead, decides to use the powers he was gifted with to become a villain.

What follows is a entirely new story where allies and enemies suddenly change sides and it is arguarbly one of the darkest Video-Game experiences ever.

And finally, if you are into Action RPGs, I suggest you take up Odin Sphere and it's Spiritual Sucessor, Muramasa:The Demon Blade, the fights in it are pulsating and reverberating, the story in both is pretty great and the soundtrack is pretty good, especially Muramasa's.

Keep in mind though, that the translation in both is rather... troublesome.