Which do you prefer, cats or dogs?

IceBrand

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which did you prefer?

. . .and face-licking. I have yet to meet a cat who wants to put their tongue all over my glasses.

You should meet mine.

Well, when I was little, I was really afraid of dogs, for some reasons. They start to grow on me more and more with me growing up, but I'm still feels a little uneasy with them. And both my parents worked, so we couldn't gave them all the attention they needs.

However, I never hated them.

So yeah, I'm more a cat person

Each cats and dogs have their own personality, though, you can't generalize.

My former cat was beautifull, proud, and independant. But he catched cat's AID at around 11 years old, and start pooping everywhere. He really only was a shadow of himself... Thankfully, I was at school when he passed away.

We really didn't imagine he could die. My parents always said that they will live with him when they retires.

We promised that we would never live this again, but some months later, the house was so empty that we ended up searching one at the SPA (French RSPCA).

Our cat isn't the smartest. He isn'tthe most beautifull. But he's the nicest and most affectuous. When we saw him, he charmed my father immediately by jumping on his shoulder.

He really is a goddamn meower. He really is searching for attention, and will meow until you accept to cuddle him.

And when we are absent for some days, he'll reproach us by meowing even more and more loudly than usual, or completely ignoring us.

...And he have a Facebook account, though I don't know if this is a good thing or not.

EDIT : Dedicated to Boney.

A French child Song about a child who have a dog called Noisette (Nut), because of its colour, then a villain neighbour who "doesn't like beast, as well as humans" poison him.

Made me cry each time when I was younger.

Edited by Totally Radical Judge

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you've ever met a cat.

Yes, there's the evolutionary stuff, but domestic cats are not wild bobcats. They still bond with humans and will protect their families. This is just a more recent development than with dogs. As far as intelligence goes, that's really debatable. IIRC, dog brains are larger relative to body size, but cat brains have more neurons or something like that. Plus quantifying intelligence is kind of dumb. They're smart in different ways.

Dogs can't spell. They've basically learned the sounds "ell-ee-ay-ess-aych" as a word in that case.

Uh, I've already said that I HAVE a cat. :/

And I never said or implied that cats were "wild bobcats" or can't EVER bond with people or protect them. My cat definitely has a bond with my mom, though not with anyone else in this house. And I've certainly read stories about cats saving their owners (for example, a story where a woman woke up to her cat scratching at her, and she suddenly smelled smoke. If the cat hadn't woken her up, she would've died in that house fire). What I'm saying is that dogs bond much more often and have been known to save people way more.

I also like dogs more because they're more useful to us, not just as friends, but as partners too. People train dogs to sniff out drugs, criminals, weapons and bombs, hell, even cancer. Dogs also help the blind folk get around. They're also used in shows alongside people where they learn to do all kinds of tricks too. Granted, many animals are used in movies and stuff, but dogs are the most common, I think, because they're the easiest to train.

Edit: Also, Ana, Lions and some Saber Toothed Cats are social type animals.

I'm aware. Anyone knows this. xP I was talking about the cats that our domestic cats evolved from.

Edited by Anacybele

Dogs are pack animals by nature, this is why they are more social and attention seeking. They also need discipline since, in the pack, the alpha is the one dishing it out. If you dont understand the alpha mindset and put that into practice in a way your dog can understand, the dog will run roughshod over you. House cats arent completely solitary since feral cats do have family groups. But they are no where near as intricately structured as dog pack society. Cats are territorial and this is why if you bring in another cat, sometimes theres a lot of fighting between them. Your kitty may grow to tolerate the other kitty you get, but the best result is often owning multiple cats and raising them from kittenhood along side each other. Dogs will adapt to new "pack members" easier. This is why its important to socialize your dog, because if they are isolated from their own kind, they can get very aggressive toward other dogs. Dogs, by nature, like meeting other dogs. But in a domesticated situation, its up to the human to encourage that kind of behavior as alpha.

Cats are clever but not as adaptable as dogs in general. This also has to do with pack behavior. Dogs in the pack, usually have some sort of "job" or role in said pack. (Wolves are actually more structurally rigid in this respect. Its kind of mindboggling to be honest.) Without a "job" or role, a dog often finds himself not knowing what to do with himself, thus some of the neurosis you see in some dogs. (Chihuahuas and toy breeds are the most prone to this kind of neurosis since humans tend to coddle them so much. Thus they tend to come off as assholes. lol) Cats can adapt but it usually takes longer in social situations. Cats like to roam (probably the reason for being bizarre in weird hours of the night) and hunt.

Dogs and cats both have very different ways in how they communicate. Dogs communicate often more in a vocal manner or in a manner thats easier to read for humans. Cats communicate in more subtle ways.

I love cats. I've had two in my life and while the first was more aloof, she still would comfort me all the time. My cat now is extremely attached to me and always wants to know what's up with me. She's a total sweetie who loves playing with toys and always wants to hang around me.

Dogs are just a bit too much for me and make me a little anxious, even the nicest ones.

Domestic cats are the only (or first) known species to approach humans on their own. Domestic cats are opportunistic survivalists. They love humans because they are useful to them. They are less loyal than dogs because they prefer themselves over others. They see humans as equals or pets and do not try to protect their housemates.

These are reasons to like cats, not dislike them. Loyalty to a friend that has outlived their usefulness is a waste, not a virtue.

Edited by Makaze

Loyalty to a friend that has outlived their usefulness is a waste, not a virtue.

Explain me how their lack of loyalty is beneficial for us, human beings (not from a Darwinist point of view).

There are a million reasons to prefer cats over dogs but i don't see how lack of loyalty would be one of them. I don't get how that could be a positive for the owner.

Edited by Smogon'sWashingMachine

Well my cat is pretty loyal. My cat greets people at the door, begs for attention, and follows me around the house. I feel so bad because no one is ever home at my house anymore and whenever I see her, I make sure you gets the attention she deserves. Has been a faithful companion for 8 years now and I would consider her the same as a supposed "man's best friend." Dogs irritate me when they bark when I walk by. Aside from the liter box, I find cats easier to take care of. Also cats have a lot more understanding than dogs seem to have. If your upset, your cat knows.

Explain me how their lack of loyalty is beneficial for us, human beings (not from a Darwinist point of view).

There are a million reasons to prefer cats over dogs but i don't see how lack of loyalty would be one of them. I don't get how that could be a positive for the owner.

It isn't beneficial to us. That's why I respect it. I have more respect for independent people than dependent people. I don't see animals as owned assets, but as companions. If I can't respect them, there will be problems.

It isn't beneficial to us. That's why I respect it. I have more respect for independent people than dependent people. I don't see animals as owned assets, but as companions. If I can't respect them, there will be problems.

I see. I can understand that.

Edited by Smogon'sWashingMachine

Also cats have a lot more understanding than dogs seem to have. If your upset, your cat knows.

This makes me curious about your experience with dogs. One of the greatest pros for dogs (within a modern society where they are typically purely companions, not workers) is that dogs are very sympathetic towards their humans. Dogs tend to be more in touch with how humans are doing than our fellow humans.

This makes me curious about your experience with dogs. One of the greatest pros for dogs (within a modern society where they are typically purely companions, not workers) is that dogs are very sympathetic towards their humans. Dogs tend to be more in touch with how humans are doing than our fellow humans.

I think the word you're looking for is empathy.

Anyway I prefer cats because omg so cute and smart but I'm pretty fond of animals in general.

This is very true. Dogs seem to be able to sense anxiety and other feelings within humans and will often react in somewhat baffling ways.

I'm really split on this one. I've only ever owned cats myself, so I can't speak with complete knowledge about dogs. Personally, I've never had any demon cats that some people complain about. Mine have always been outdoor cats, and they've all been quite affectionate. Well, one of them wasn't that friendly, but the other two definitely were. I really miss them....now that I think about how much hugged them and petted them :cry: They always greeted me and kept me company.

Now, dogs, I know can be a lot less 'bratty' as cats, though I will say not all dogs are like that! Some of them can be really annoying. But I do still love both dogs and cats, and it's really hard to say for me if I'm a dog person or a cat person. I think in the future, I'd want a ragamuffin or a ragdoll cat. They love cuddling and have an even temperament <3

This is very true. Dogs seem to be able to sense anxiety and other feelings within humans and will often react in somewhat baffling ways.

Yeah, I can confirm this as well. One time when I was playing with my bigger dog, he accidentally jabbed his tooth into my foot and drew blood. It hurt like hell and as my stepdad was helping me, my dog stayed to make sure I was okay. He was even looking at my foot.

A cat won't care at all if it scratches you by accident. xP

I own both, and I have to say cats win hands down.

And cats are quite capable of great loyalty and affection. Anyone saying differently has never owned a cat or is lying through their teeth.

Edited by Lockhart

Or has a stupid cat, don't forget. My grandmother's current dog is the stupidest little fur ball I've ever met (I've met 4 out of however many she may have had during her life, and this one is the dumbest), so I don't doubt there are stupid cats, too.

A cat won't care at all if it scratches you by accident. xP

Mine does. Seriously, i show her the wound and she smells it and looks like: "Damn...sorry about that." When she does it out of anger, (like when im combing her massive coat out) and my cat rarely ever claws me out of anger, she will look damn pitiful. Of course my cat isnt exactly normal by cat standards. Shes only 75% Asshole.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

And cats are quite capable of great loyalty and affection. Anyone saying differently has never owned a cat or is lying through their teeth.

I never meant to say otherwise. I was responding to a post that said that cats were more sympathetic than dogs, and implied that dogs don't really care what you're feeling. They're both companion animals. They both care about their humans and can tell how we're feeling.

Edited by Rewjeo

My dog might be annoying sometimes (I can't play with you because CodeGeass, stop it!) but she is very sweet. I remember once, my cat got trapped in a washer. If it wasn't for my dog's moaning, said cat would most likely be dead. I still prefer cats (Dog, you smell, go away!) however.

And I see both types of animals notice the owners emotions and empathize with them. The only member of my family with empathy issues, amongst both humans and animals, is actually me.