Pokemon Showdown in a nutshell

Generic General

Hm, in OU I'm at about 1250. Maybe I should try sash greninja again... Username is Comet7.

Edited by Comet

I only started playing on Showdown's OU ladder a couple weeks ago, and I've met my share of jerks so far, but there are pretty friendly people online too. I fought this guy who praised me for using some unorthodox sets even though I still got beat and he was pretty sociable overall (I found out at the end of the battle that he's apparently a teacher who holds competitive battling after-school classes for kids. That's really cool!).

Since someone already took my name there, I'm known as Aramis130 on Showdown. I'm not actually sure what my rating is atm (for the past several days, either my computer or Showdown jumbles up my ladder rating after battles into indecipherable jargon, so I can't really tell anymore) but last time I checked it was near the 1400 range; however, I'm probably closer to 1320 since all the battles after that point were battles that I won by forfeits within the first few or opening turns, for no apparent reason either (I really don't understand showdown players sometimes...).

I'm Professor Palutena on Showdown, but I think I still remember my password to Doofina as well. I've also made the alt Cykes-Dono, so I'm around with either one of those three.

I tend to hover around the 1100-1400 range.

I manage to grind up to 1333. I'm not a scrub anymore!

Also Chesnaught is a boss. I feel like Aegislash and Chesnaught have been such a crutch for my team, with their "pull victory out of my ass" ability lol

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-85436901

Wellll this is what I was talking about. *shrugs* He's not the first nor the last one I'll find, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'm Arufureddo atm on showdown, but I tend to change username quite often.

At least I found this really nice guy with an awesome team. We've been supporting each other for some matches and we also exhanged friend codes for the real games. Nice.

@JSND: What's your Chesnaught set, if I may ask? I've been trying to use one for a while but I can't find an effective set for it.

@Silver Lightning:

image.png

You're doing really well! :D

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Wellll this is what I was talking about. *shrugs* He's not the first nor the last one I'll find, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'm Arufureddo atm on showdown, but I tend to change username quite often.

At least I found this really nice guy with an awesome team. We've been supporting each other for some matches and we also exhanged friend codes for the real games. Nice.

@JSND: What's your Chesnaught set, if I may ask? I've been trying to use one for a while but I can't find an effective set for it.

@Silver Lightning:

image.png

That's actually hilarious at how immature people can be. The worst I've experienced is simply being told I suck after winning a match, given I'm not even half as good as you or many of the people here, your Baton Pass work was very interesting and executed very well, nicely done!

@Silver Lightning:

image.png

That really sucks. I've had people tell me I'm cheap for using Jolteon and/or Salemence before, usually followed by a ragequit. I personally have come to hate the competitive pokemon community over the years, which is a large reason why I don't play pokemon competitively anymore. It sucks when 90+% of the battles end in a ragequit.

That's actually hilarious at how immature people can be. The worst I've experienced is simply being told I suck after winning a match, given I'm not even half as good as you or many of the people here, your Baton Pass work was very interesting and executed very well, nicely done!

Thank you very much.

I really like this team honestly. It's not a full Baton Pass team, as it can work quite nicely even without boosts, and when I do set up it usually takes me few turns to become really dangerous. The only effective ways to stop a well-executed BP team would require the use of Haze, Clear Smog or Dragon Tail, all of which are pretty uncommon. Unaware Clefable with Seismic Toss might work too. Roar and Whirlwind don't, since I usually bounce them back with Espeon.

I've also met a really creative player who managed to stop me with a Sturdy+Mirror Coat Magnezone. That was awesome.

That really sucks. I've had people tell me I'm cheap for using Jolteon and/or Salemence before, usually followed by a ragequit. I personally have come to hate the competitive pokemon community over the years, which is a large reason why I don't play pokemon competitively anymore. It sucks when 90+% of the battles end in a ragequit.

Meh I get what you say.

I do approve justified quits, though. If the opponent thinks he has already lost the match and he doesn't want to lose time, he's free to forfeit. I just think it's lame to quit when the match is still open. People usually do that after receiving a critical hit or when they get predicted quite badly.

@Alfred

252 HP/252 DEF/6 ATK?

Leech Seed

Hammer Arm

Spiky Shield

Subsitute

Its fairly anti meta, checks some common stuff such as Landorus T, Aegislash, AV Conk, and can play some games with Azu if you manage to predict its set, which is made easier with Spiky Shield

Hammer Arm because Ferrothorn is a bitch

Edited by JSND

So just now, had a great and very close match against the forums Kairu-kyun. Had some pretty nice highlights and both of us are pretty much new to the whole Pokemon Showdown and though we aren't aiming high (if at all for Kairu), here's the match and if anyone could offer critique to either of us (since I'm sure there'll be a lot), it'd be great!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-85462306

Edit: Just realized the text on the rights there, ignore it, it's just friendly banter and neither of us mind. :P

Edited by SlipperySlippy

So just now, had a great and very close match against the forums Kairu-kyun. Had some pretty nice highlights and both of us are pretty much new to the whole Pokemon Showdown and though we aren't aiming high (if at all for Kairu), here's the match and if anyone could offer critique to either of us (since I'm sure there'll be a lot), it'd be great!

Edit: Just realized the text on the rights there, ignore it, it's just friendly banter and neither of us mind. :P

um, don't forget the matches I won, like this:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-85459111

Well, considering its a match beetwen begginers, there's... a lot that can be said about it(unoptimal sets is one of them), which would take too long

But for the case of this game, the most important thing to note is to try doing calculations, and damage assumptions. This is actually something that many experienced players did not manage to learn even after playing for a long time

The big example for this is GK's Blaziken failing to OHKO Aggron, after TBM sacced several pokemon for no reason. Its a common occurence where the player panics when their opponent used some random powerful poke and sacced stuff that did not manage to survive the hits only to find out latter that one of their pokemon could have handled it better. On the flipside, i'm not sure about the EV spreads, but I thought Blaziken should have used Flamethrower instead because Aggron's SP.D is much lower. I usually do the same uh.... "trick" with Aegislash vs Aggron, because M. Aggron defense is high, I decided to rely on Shadow Ball instead

Theres not a notable misplay from what I see tbh

....Oh yeah the Overheat at Turn 1 is kinda questionable in many fronts. Bug Buzz nailed 5/6 of GK's team neutrally, which, if actually applied would have resulted in OHKO on Greninja

Well, considering its a match beetwen begginers, there's... a lot that can be said about it(unoptimal sets is one of them), which would take too long

But for the case of this game, the most important thing to note is to try doing calculations, and damage assumptions. This is actually something that many experienced players did not manage to learn even after playing for a long time

The big example for this is GK's Blaziken failing to OHKO Aggron, after TBM sacced several pokemon for no reason. Its a common occurence where the player panics when their opponent used some random powerful poke and sacced stuff that did not manage to survive the hits only to find out latter that one of their pokemon could have handled it better. On the flipside, i'm not sure about the EV spreads, but I thought Blaziken should have used Flamethrower instead because Aggron's SP.D is much lower. I usually do the same uh.... "trick" with Aegislash vs Aggron, because M. Aggron defense is high, I decided to rely on Shadow Ball instead

Theres not a notable misplay from what I see tbh

....Oh yeah the Overheat at Turn 1 is kinda questionable in many fronts. Bug Buzz nailed 5/6 of GK's team neutrally, which, if actually applied would have resulted in OHKO on Greninja

Thanks for the reply and advice!

To be honest, I haven't found a use for Argon yet, often or not, despite having high defence, the enemies have a fighting type physical attacker that just shred through him. I went from full-tank to damage and to now simply damage with different move-types. I definitely don't think it's ideal.

The reason I used Overheat Turn 1 is because I knew it done quite a large amount of damage on Greninja, however you're definitely right and I should've used Bug Buzz instead. I knew he'd switch out to Greninja, so I should've used the turn to use Quiver Dance. Another mistake I'm looking at could've been switching out Jumpluff too early. I'm actually not sure how many turns it takes for GK's Blaziken to outspeed my Jumpluff, but if it's 2, I had the opportunity to use Sleep Powder on him and finish him off, which I should've done.

I definitely got lucky with Argon surviving. Usually I open up with Stealth Rock and Swampert, which causes him to go Lilligant, making me change my first pick. Usually I beat GK fairly easily thanks to my Gardevoir, but I goofed up trying to make a play with Destiny Bond, which worked, but probably wasn't ideal.

I'm conflicted. Reading these forums is tempting me to give Showdown a go, since in-game is too time consuming for me. But then I realise that I'm one of those sore losers, and so it's better if I don't. Competitive games just seem to rub me up the wrong way, since I have a habit of getting getting to a point of being half way okay, and then not being able to progress further. I have no tolerance for my failures, no matter how small they may be. A detestable emotional conflict.

I'm conflicted. Reading these forums is tempting me to give Showdown a go, since in-game is too time consuming for me. But then I realise that I'm one of those sore losers, and so it's better if I don't. Competitive games just seem to rub me up the wrong way, since I have a habit of getting getting to a point of being half way okay, and then not being able to progress further. I have no tolerance for my failures, no matter how small they may be. A detestable emotional conflict.

Yo, no need to take it too seriously xD Not everyone on showdown is as bad as it seems, some people will even start conversations and even share their mons' builds and give general advises! It's also useful to test out certain Pokemon before you actually start breeding in game, so why not give it a shot :)