Why does Eliwood use swords?

Magical Glace

The two scenes you are comparing aren't too far away chronologically. Both happened during Leaf's time in Lenster before moving against Manster.

Plus, character development doesn't turn you into an entirely different person. Especially if it's about emotions. You can't just decide not to get angry.

When Leaf became easily angry and irresponsible before Doria's death, he would still act like this afterwards. Especially now that he feels the guilt about all the people that died because of him and the stress of being under siege for many months.

What could change is that Leaf would easily recognize this behavior and catch himself. Back in the day, he insisted that his knights would aid Alster against the opinion of his advisors. The result was Dorias' death.

When this scene in FE4 happens, Leaf is quick to realize that Finn is right. So he seems to have developed. At least there is no contradiction. And that is all that is needed.

Because FE4 and FE5 are two entirely different stories and Leaf is only the hero of the latter. Leaf, being just one of many characters in FE4, doesn't have the opportunity to receive this degree of development he got in FE5. Should Leaf suddenly completely change between chapter 7 and 8 because of events the player didn't see and the writers didn't knew about yet?

Uh, Leif is about the only character who actually have progress in FE4.

Like... the other children basically did not exist, Seliph is kinda like Roy where he is too perfect to actually have a change, and they blew the rest of budget in development department into Finn

At least with Leif, following Trabant's death, he actually talks like how Finn advises him to be

Uh, Leif is about the only character who actually have progress in FE4.

Like... the other children basically did not exist, Seliph is kinda like Roy where he is too perfect to actually have a change, and they blew the rest of budget in development department into Finn

At least with Leif, following Trabant's death, he actually talks like how Finn advises him to be

What does this have to do with anything? Are still talking about how Leaf has supposedly never developed in FE5 because of a scene that was seen in FE4 but happened chronologically during the events in FE5, that involved Leaf stating something rush and foolishly but admits as such after being called out on it by Fin?

Btw, the scene about Fin is the very one you quoted on the previous page, which like I said was still in chapter 8. Long before Trabant was dead.

They still talk in chapter 9 but not only is it still before Trabant's dead but the conversation is exclusively about Altenna.

Edited by BrightBow

blablablablabla....

BULLSHIT

Leif actually grow up AFTER ch19, when Dorias died. Just look at Leif in early chapter: he didn't even want help from Hanibal, because "Thracia is my enemy", he wanted to defend Tahra (lolololol) with two archers, one exbrigand, two lumberjacks and one knight. If it isn't cra... WAIT I forgot about Marty, Empire is LOST!

And then look what was after: he noted his foolness and selfishness. Look at dialogue with Sety.

And about things in FE4: Well, I suppose that creators didn't though about Leif who will be used again, in another game. FE5 actually add a lot to his character.

Eliwood just act like child, who really want to be man. For me it looks so unnatural...Hector, even if he is immature idiot just act like someone reall.

Eliwood just act like child, who really want to be man. For me it looks so unnatural...Hector, even if he is immature idiot just act like someone reall.I

I'm sorry, when does this happen? Eliwood is the only lord of the three who doesn't act childish. Just look at Chapter 16x/17x; when they have to ask Fargus for passage to Valor, Lyn throws a fit about working with criminals and mopes for a few hours, and Hector repeatedly addresses Fargus as "old man" despite the fact that it obviously bothers him. Eliwood is diplomatic with the captain, and discusses the matter at hand.

Let's not forget his reaction to loss, as well; when Elbert dies, Eliwood mourns for one chapter, then gets over his grief and instead worries about his mother's feelings. Hector, on the other hand, threatens to chop Oswin in half for hiding Uther's death from him, and repeatedly states that he'll never forgive him for doing so, despite being ordered by Uther to lie to Hector and giving his reasoning. Who's immature there?

... Oh right, topic!

Eliwood doesn't use lances because the main lord of FE games has always used swords. Given that he was the main lord of the game's initial mode, he must follow the tradition set by Marth/Alm/Sigurd/Leaf/Roy. He would've been much more usable and interesting if he were a lance user, though; his promotion would make a lot more sense.

BULLSHIT

Leif actually grow up AFTER ch19, when Dorias died. Just look at Leif in early chapter: he didn't even want help from Hanibal, because "Thracia is my enemy", he wanted to defend Tahra (lolololol) with two archers, one exbrigand, two lumberjacks and one knight. If it isn't cra... WAIT I forgot about Marty, Empire is LOST!

And then look what was after: he noted his foolness and selfishness. Look at dialogue with Sety.

And about things in FE4: Well, I suppose that creators didn't though about Leif who will be used again, in another game. FE5 actually add a lot to his character.

Eliwood just act like child, who really want to be man. For me it looks so unnatural...Hector, even if he is immature idiot just act like someone reall.

I like Eliwood and don't really get a lot of the criticism he receives because I just don't find him childish and I like his ability to grieve, move on, and do what has to be done instead of bottling up everything inside until it corrodes his psyche (see: remake Marth). Lyn is the one I don't find mature in the least; her age in the NoJ game makes so much more sense than seeing someone 18/19 act the way she does.

As for Leif, I've seen people go round and round on whether FE4 or FE5 shows a better character arc. From his introduction in Chapter 7 to his dialogues with sister/lovers in Chapter 10 and Endgame, FE4!Leif has a nice compact progression from immature hothead to confident future king. FE5 gives him a full-scale coming of age story but then introduces really weird stuff, like the part at the end of the game where he lies to Miranda to get her off his case romance-wise. Are we supposed to be seeing a crafty prince dealing with an annoying princess who's not good enough for him anyway? Are we supposed to be seeing Leif embrace the dodgy side of politics and placate an ally through deception while he goes off and does what he wants (shades of Quan)? Is it just supposed to be a funny bit of fluff? When Leif fully embraces August's point of view, is that a feel-good moment or a troubling one? How wrong is Dorias, and if he's in the wrong, are the other people from Leonster also giving Leif bad advice? Maybe everybody's wrong.

Wolt is really bad though

Sad but true.

Though admittedly, Rebecca and Rolf are pretty good, in my opinion, the real fail archer of Tellius is obviously Leo. Rolf does have a 'completely outclassed by another unit despite being really good' tendency though.

And yes, I completely get that Eliwood using swords is traditional, but why would they change him from his old way just for that? He was already established as a lance wielder, I don't see how tradition warrants swapping weapon types. Especially since there already was a sword using lord in game (Lyn).

What does this have to do with anything? Are still talking about how Leaf has supposedly never developed in FE5 because of a scene that was seen in FE4 but happened chronologically during the events in FE5, that involved Leaf stating something rush and foolishly but admits as such after being called out on it by Fin?

Btw, the scene about Fin is the very one you quoted on the previous page, which like I said was still in chapter 8. Long before Trabant was dead.

They still talk in chapter 9 but not only is it still before Trabant's dead but the conversation is exclusively about Altenna.

I actually agreed with your points, except for the part where you mentioned how Leif did not get developed in FE4(IMO, Leif is the only Gen 2 character who actually gets developed) but something happened and a misunderstanding happened so.....

But then again, I really did not understand the whole FE5 - FE4 time line on that parts, so if someone can explain what actually happened there, I appreciate it

THIS IS ALL THRACIA'S FAULT

ONORE TORACIA

Edited by JSND

Neimi, Wolt, Wil, Rebecca, Rolf.

This chumps use BOWS!

I specifically meant, you know, English and Welsh yeomen. Actual people. Not children with anime eyes.

I just thought of another thing that's less important but still seems somewhat logical.

Swords tend to be light, weak, and accurate, matching Lyn's speed and skill based build.

Axes tend to be heavy, inaccurate, and strong, matching Hector's Strength and Defense based build.

Lances tend to be middle of the road, matching Eliwood's Jack of all Stats type build.

That just makes me want him to use lances even more.

^This makes so much sense. This topic crossed my mind once I saw the unused animation of Lyn with Durandal. Honestly now I'm wondering how Eliwood would work as a lance Cavalier.

^This makes so much sense. This topic crossed my mind once I saw the unused animation of Lyn with Durandal. Honestly now I'm wondering how Eliwood would work as a lance Cavalier.

I would love it if Eliwood had lances first :D

Makes him so much more useful.

If IS cared about balance I'd say Eliwood broke the game over his knee as a lance cavalier lord and so they dumped that idea. But since IS doesn't (Meg is our favourite and so we must not realize she blows), it's probably more a case of what another person here said: they wanted him to use a Rapier since Lyn was using something different. Not sure why they couldn't just give her a rapier instead, but wtv.

He's no Erk though at least... ><

>Implying Wolt is better than Erk

Erk is incredibly usable, while 99% of the time Wolt isn't. Pent can replace Erk, but Erk CAN be as good or better. What about Wolt vs Shin? It isn't much of a competition there...

But on topic, it's probably to stay on course with the rest of the series. Although it would be completely badass if he did get lances.

>Implying Wolt is better than Erk

Erk is incredibly usable, while 99% of the time Wolt isn't. Pent can replace Erk, but Erk CAN be as good or better. What about Wolt vs Shin? It isn't much of a competition there...

But on topic, it's probably to stay on course with the rest of the series. Although it would be completely badass if he did get lances.

Erk wishes. Pent's A staves will forever shame his pupil.

Anyway, same thing crossed my mind. Probably because, as people have said, they wanted to make him as similar to Roy as possible.

I wouldn't say Eli would have been broken as a lance cav. He'd basically be Kent who trades a little in the way of bases for a little in the way of growths. Sure, in LTC, he would have been way more worth using because mounted move, but Kent ain't exactly snapping the game in half, especially without LM.