QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

dadrock

not sure where "mindless kpop," "mindless western pop/rock," and "somewhat-less-mindless pop" rank between themselves

what I listen to depends on mood, but as far as overall favorite genres go these are them

there are songs that I like (like, a lot) that aren't of these genres but w/e

[spoiler=was gonna quote these but I realized I have opinions]

I tend to lean towards Rock but I generally like all kinds of music.

Unless its Rap

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Experiences with social media - I try to stay the hell away from it. . .'cept for you guys, you're mostly cool.

Favorite music genre - Video game music Trance, followed by whatever pop songs don't irritate me (whether it be by singer, melody, or lyrics), with some Celtic thrown in because I dunno why but I like it

Also. . .

EDIT: I like some techno, but dubstep can go take a hike.

oh there was a question yesterday

I have a facebook and two twitters and a tumblr and I use them approximately never

I have accounts on like a million forums and use only SF

I have a Skype and use it to talk to people on SF + one IRL friend

I'm on Google+ but nobody else is

I generally don't count forums or IMs as social media anyways so eh

It finally happened.

Congratulations.

lmao

it had to happen

sigh

Do any of you know why he says he doesn't like it?? (If I am right to assume that's the main part of the post the concern is about)

Who knows it could be the reason you're thinking of (if I am also right in assuming that you think it's because "all rap is dirty inappropriate music and always is crap craprap~!" when that only applies to... well, a lot of the mainstream stuff) or it could be a totally different reason (maybe that kind of music style doesn't suit him, maybe he prefers songs with singing) (btw I'm not a fan of rap because it's just not my kind of music style)

I just feel like saying somebody isn't allowed to dislike rap without that kind of disapproval may as well be the same as disapproval for liking rock or pop or any genre out there... maybe even for rap music

Edited by Freohr Datia

Do any of you know why he says he doesn't like it?? (If I am right to assume that's the main part of the post the concern is about)

Who knows it could be the reason you're thinking of (if I am also right in assuming that you think it's because "all rap is dirty inappropriate music and always is crap craprap~!" when that only applies to... well, a lot of the mainstream stuff) or it could be a totally different reason (maybe that kind of music style doesn't suit him, maybe he prefers songs with singing) (btw I'm not a fan of rap because it's just not my kind of music style)

I just feel like saying somebody isn't allowed to dislike rap without that kind of disapproval may as well be the same as disapproval for liking rock or pop or any genre out there... maybe even for rap music

For one thing nobody said he's not allowed to dislike rap. Also you assume you know the reason why those posts were made when it seems you don't really get the joke lol

necktie please enlighten us as to what The Joke is/was

because currently those posts just look condescending and lame when apparently they could be funny instead :):

Now now, I never said he's not allowed to dislike rap. Makaze's post was just funny.

Well sorry~

For one thing nobody said he's not allowed to dislike rap. Also you assume you know the reason why those posts were made when it seems you don't really get the joke lol

That's why I said that he isn't allowed to without disapproval. And I did say that I knew I could be wrong. Apparently saying it isn't enough.

It's just that I've seen this kind of disapproval out of people (especially you~) before so excuse me that I let that influence the way I read those responses

Yes please enlighten me instead of laughing about some inside joke making fun of me because I'm a dumbass somehow for my statement.

"unless it's rap" is stereotypically said by a bunch of people due to ignorance or like the assumption used by Freohr in reply to the four other people commenting on you, "all rap is dirty inappropriate music and always is crap craprap~!", it's not an inside joke all, no need to be insecure

That phrase is just a step above "Eminiem/Tupac is better than Lil Wayne" in terms of ignorance and dare I say it, used to even imply subtle racism

got it, ya bish?

I don't get this.

The part about the racism? I noticed anybody in school who despised rap used to mock rappers with dickhead remarks along the lines of how black people are stupid and a plethora of other things

If it's about Wayne then I'd rather not get into that right now because you literally can't compare the 2(3?)

If it's the whole thing I probably didn't articulate it very well because it's almost 3am and well it's friday night with the lads

Edited by Alb

The part about the racism? I noticed anybody in school who despised rap used to mock rappers with dickhead remarks along the lines of how black people are stupid and a plethora of other things

If it's about Wayne then I'd rather not get into that right now because you literally can't compare the 2(3?)

If it's the whole thing I probably didn't articulate it very well because it's almost 3am and well it's friday night with the lads

Yeah, it was the last part, even if I really didn't like Lil Wayne when I heard him way back. That said, I didn't really take an interest in listening to what he has and it has been a while.

enjoy your night or whatever is left of it

I always found that way of thinking odd, black people have invented like so many genres of music (rock and roll, jazz) or revolutionized others (Pop with MJ), so the stereotype doesn't really have that much to back it up.

The joke is that they are an embodiment of the idea that 'I like everything but [country and] rap.' This statement is always based on ignorance of both the genres they like and the genres of country and/or rap, without exception (so far as I have seen).

One of the benefits of not knowing shit about music is that I don't know what I'm supposed to dislike

(or at least not that much)

(#basiclife)

Edited by Rehab