QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my country, but nationalism is a dangerous thing.

I guess it is rather pertinent since there's the whole Scottish Independence thing going on right now...

Not at all. I feel no particular attachment to my home country, neither do I particularly admire it.

This.

My name says something about it...

i want to know

are you nerds just allergic to the concept of patriotism or are you just disappointed with the country you live in

EDIT: i mean i was expecting a tragically high no:yes response ratio but not this overwhelming

Edited by Integrity

I like my country, but I also like other countries as well. I guess you could say I'm patriotic, but not xenophobic or nationalistic, I just happen to like the place I live in. When I say I'm patriotic, it means I like the sum of what my country is, the people, the geography, the traditions; the government just happens to be an unappealing factor. I bet if more people judged their countries by the sum of its parts rather than just the political side, they wouldn't be so quick to indifference. (I'm Canadian btw, for those who didn't know)

Edited by Knight

i will state proudly that Australia is the greatest nation in the world

I'm also proud of my Irish citizenship as all the problems with the Republic of Ireland are neatly solved by not actually living there

Definitely not. I actually like brazil, and know i could have been born in many other countries where life would be tougher, but I just can't be patriotic, even if I was born in the richest country, or in the one with the best quality of life. I don't really see the point of thinking I owe something to a place just because I was born there.

Edited by Nobody

i want to know

are you nerds just allergic to the concept of patriotism or are you just disappointed with the country you live in

EDIT: i mean i was expecting a tragically high no:yes response ratio but not this overwhelming

I figure mine is a 'yes', because I do actually like my country and its culture.

Edited by Tryhard

what more do you require

i thought you were answering integrity's question-within-a-question

that in mind your answer is fine, carry on

I'm also proud of my Irish citizenship as all the problems with the Republic of Ireland are neatly solved by not actually living there

My aunt left the Republic of Ireland to go to Australia (and to visit some family in New Zealand occasionally). It figures.

I figure mine is a 'yes', because I do actually like my country and its culture.

yours was a yes because you basically said "yeah i like my country but i'm not a nationalist" which is perfectly reasonable as nationalism and jingoism are both patriotism taken too far

yours was a yes because you basically said "yeah i like my country but i'm not a nationalist" which is perfectly reasonable as nationalism and jingoism are both patriotism taken too far

okay m8 s'allright but i'm still a nerd unfortunately

Hmmmmmm not particularly~

I'm the nerd that doesn't really think that much about where they live or where others live really I only see them all as names and locations and nothing more