QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

You, stop making it so easy for them. :V

Often makaze's good at making it look like he's intentionally trying to provoke them (parrhesia in particular~) to make himself look better and make them (parrhesia in particular~) look worse like they're trying too hard (although it didn't really look like that this time, idk =o) which is pretty dum if that's the case

Like just the way he so smugly goes in other topics talking about how he "got a reaction out of parrhesia yet again..." and how much he tries to go for what I'm sure he knows is an unpopular opinion or goes around the point or whatever else he's done that just looks edgy or whatever other word I'm trying to think of that isn't coming to me atm...

For all I know that's not makaze's intentions, my main point is that's really really what it looks like and he's really really good at making it look that way.

Edited by Freohr Datia

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This really shouldn't have invited these types of replies; I've been consciously keeping it down as regards soap boxing and such. It happens that my name means a lot to me and is more than just another word; that should not be reason to attack it harder.

Im calling shenanigans, mate. Your replies are so pretentious that it looks like its on purpose. In other words, you look like you are baiting them in order to look "smart".

I'd protect my sweet, dear USA with my life!

***Esme sheds a tear while an eagle cries in the distance

D'awwww.

Often makaze's good at making it look like he's intentionally trying to provoke them (parrhesia in particular~) to make himself look better and make them (parrhesia in particular~) look worse like they're trying too hard (although it didn't really look like that this time, idk =o) which is pretty dum if that's the case

Like just the way he so smugly goes in other topics talking about how he "got a reaction out of parrhesia yet again..." and how much he tries to go for what I'm sure he knows is an unpopular opinion or goes around the point or whatever else he's done that just looks edgy or whatever other word I'm trying to think of that isn't coming to me atm...

For all I know that's not makaze's intentions, my main point is that's really really what it looks like and he's really really good at making it look that way.

Yeah, pretty much. It looks like a passive aggressive attempt to take a dig out of Parrhesia and Integ (and the rest of the forum for that matter). If its not intentional in order to look edgy and kind of mysterious, ill eat my own helm.

This really shouldn't have invited these types of replies; I've been consciously keeping it down as regards soap boxing and such. It happens that my name means a lot to me and is more than just another word; that should not be reason to attack it harder.

The word that 'means a lot to you' is just taking the concept of Japanese suicide pilots and using the antonym of the first syllable. If you want it to be your username, fine, but it isn't a profound statement of the horrors of jingoism in the Imperial Japanese era.

Makaze, do you think right now I am a frothing incarnation of rage after you le epic trololol me gusta'd xD me again?

I don't enjoy it when you post. Your posts are tedious and obtuse. I sigh deeply. I hit reply, unsure why I bother, put together a succinct response, hit post, and I'm done with it. You're a slightly unpleasant pest that sometimes has to be dealt with near the start of the day but generally gets forgotten about two or three hours later. You do not impact heavily on my life. If you feel satisfied at causing me to feel bored once or twice every week, then that is genuinely a little sad, and you should seek help.

I rarely (read: not in recorded memory on SF) intentionally provoke people without being provoked myself. For instance, my first post about this question had nothing to do with addressing anyone. I would have been perfectly happy to not elaborate at all, or elaborate only upon request.

However, there are some people who openly mock my neutral or even well-meaning posts and explicitly refuse to discuss the problem beyond mocking me further. Their entire intent in posting is to mock me. If I submit, they will not change their behavior. If I rebel, they will not change their behavior. They will continue to mock because there are people who will laugh with them. Parrhesia is one of these people.

My solace in dealing with these people whose only influence is negative is to exploit the negativity they bring to the table. Instead of getting depressed (which did happen initially), I make light of it. Thus, my posts after my initial answer to the question are intentionally provoking, simply for lack of a better course of action. There is no hope of reconciling while they continue to refuse to talk things through.

Im calling shenanigans, mate. Your replies are so pretentious that it looks like its on purpose. In other words, you look like you are baiting them in order to look "smart".

Yeah, pretty much. It looks like a passive aggressive attempt to take a dig out of Parrhesia and Integ (and the rest of the forum for that matter). If its not intentional in order to look edgy and kind of mysterious, ill eat my own helm.

My replies after my initial answer, in other words my replies to posts mocking me for nothing, are intentionally abrasive. Slight difference: My public image is less important to me than managing the immediate problem.

The word that 'means a lot to you' is just taking the concept of Japanese suicide pilots and using the antonym of the first syllable. If you want it to be your username, fine, but it isn't a profound statement of the horrors of jingoism in the Imperial Japanese era.

The word that means a lot to me can also mean 'true wind', 'the calm of/in the storm', and many others, all of which have value to me. If it is fine for me to value it, then why do you go out of your way to call it out?

Makaze, do you think right now I am a frothing incarnation of rage after you le epic trololol me gusta'd xD me again?

I don't enjoy it when you post. Your posts are tedious and obtuse. I sigh deeply. I hit reply, unsure why I bother, put together a succinct response, hit post, and I'm done with it. You're a slightly unpleasant pest that sometimes has to be dealt with near the start of the day but generally gets forgotten about two or three hours later. You do not impact heavily on my life. If you feel satisfied at causing me to feel bored once or twice every week, then that is genuinely a little sad, and you should seek help.

I'm not sure what you feel. I only know that you poke at my posts when they have nothing to do with you of your own accord. You seem aware of the fact that the reaction to your mocking will be negative, but you do it anyway. Being real, I cannot stop you from doing that of your own accord. My replies to you are my way of finding some fun in the natural occurrence that is your senseless need to call me out.

It's clear you would rather I not post at all. You seem to believe that my initial response to the question itself was an offensive post. That is what baffles me. This isn't the first time. You take offense to everything I post regardless of my intent. Believe it or not, not everything (or even most everything) I post is meant to rub someone the wrong way.

What action on my side would help you get over this? Not what actions I should not do; you could list things I should not do every time I post, which is what is happening now. Aside from me not posting, what should I do that I am not doing that would help us get along?

Edited by Makaze

there_is_no_need_to_be_upset-4390.gif

hue.

I rarely (read: not in recorded memory on SF) intentionally provoke people without being provoked myself. For instance, my first post about this question had nothing to do with addressing anyone. I would have been perfectly happy to not elaborate at all, or elaborate only upon request.

However, there are some people who openly mock my neutral or even well-meaning posts and explicitly refuse to discuss the problem beyond mocking me further. Their entire intent in posting is to mock me. If I submit, they will not change their behavior. If I rebel, they will not change their behavior. They will continue to mock because there are people who will laugh with them. Parrhesia is one of these people.

My solace in dealing with these people whose only influence is negative is to exploit the negativity they bring to the table. Instead of getting depressed (which did happen initially), I make light of it. Thus, my posts after my initial answer to the question are intentionally provoking, simply for lack of a better course of action. There is no hope of reconciling while they continue to refuse to talk things through.

My replies after my initial answer, in other words my replies to posts mocking me for nothing, are intentionally abrasive. Slight difference: My public image is less important to me than managing the immediate problem.

The word that means a lot to me can also mean 'true wind', 'the calm of/in the storm', and many others, all of which have value to me. If it is fine for me to value it, then why do you go out of your way to call it out?

I'm not sure what you feel. I only know that you poke at my posts when they have nothing to do with you of your own accord. You seem aware of the fact that the reaction to your mocking will be negative, but you do it anyway. Being real, I cannot stop you from doing that of your own accord. My replies to you are my way of finding some fun in the natural occurrence that is your senseless need to call me out.

It's clear you would rather I not post at all. You seem to believe that my initial response to the question itself was an offensive post. That is what baffles me. This isn't the first time. You take offense to everything I post regardless of my intent. Believe it or not, not everything (or even most everything) I post is meant to rub someone the wrong way.

What action on my side would help you get over this? Not what actions I should not do; you could list things I should not do every time I post, which is what is happening now. Aside from me not posting, what should I do that I am not doing that would help us get along?

*chortle*

tumblr_m129zedb6S1r5v7j9.gif

Im not buying the ploy of ignorance, ser.

I'm not sure what you feel. I only know that you poke at my posts when they have nothing to do with you of your own accord. You seem aware of the fact that the reaction so your mocking will be negative, but you do it anyway. Being real, I cannot stop you from doing that of your own accord. My replies to you are my way of finding some fun in the natural occurrence that is your senseless need to call me out.

I don't care about those 'other meanings' - the overly convoluted suicide-pilot analogy is the only one I do, and ever have, given a shit about.

I call you out when you say dumb shit. The idea is that if you stop posting dumb shit, you don't get called out.

It's a cycle. It goes like this.

1. You post a clearly incomplete thought. (e.g. 'my name is a statement against the concept of patriotism')

2. When pressed, you give the bare minimum. (e.g. 'the literal meaning of the prefix 'ma-' in Japanese')

3. When finally you have a complete statement over the course of your eight posts, you act smug that they hadn't figured it out earlier. (e.g. all of your smug at Integrity)

Alternatively, when you do put all of your thoughts into a single post, it tends to be needlessly convoluted. Usually it can be understood despite your terrible wording, but when you're told to be more concise you interpret it as a failure to understand. It's not. It is a request for plain English.

Write good and productive posts that aren't needlessly obtuse. Just, for once in your life, try to outline your reasoning in a clear, concise fashion.

hue.

*chortle*

tumblr_m129zedb6S1r5v7j9.gif

Im not buying the ploy of ignorance, ser.

This is really frustrating. Do you seriously think my initial answer to the question was made expecting these kinds of replies?

I don't care about those 'other meanings' - the overly convoluted suicide-pilot analogy is the only one I do, and ever have, given a shit about.

I call you out when you say dumb shit. The idea is that if you stop posting dumb shit, you don't get called out.

It's a cycle. It goes like this.

1. You post a clearly incomplete thought. (e.g. 'my name is a statement against the concept of patriotism')

2. When pressed, you give the bare minimum. (e.g. 'the literal meaning of the prefix 'ma-' in Japanese')

3. When finally you have a complete statement over the course of your eight posts, you act smug that they hadn't figured it out earlier. (e.g. all of your smug at Integrity)

Alternatively, when you do put all of your thoughts into a single post, it tends to be needlessly convoluted. Usually it can be understood despite your terrible wording, but when you're told to be more concise you interpret it as a failure to understand. It's not. It is a request for plain English.

Write good and productive posts that aren't needlessly obtuse. Just, for once in your life, try to outline your reasoning in a clear, concise fashion.

That I can do. If you are more likely to take me seriously when I reply in earnest then I will do so.

I intentionally avoided doing so in this case because I expected even more mocking of me actually explaining myself seriously. If what you say is true, I have been shooting myself in the foot by expecting the worst from you. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt then.

The full story is:

Years ago, I was browsing a Japanese dictionary and looked up words for 'devil' and/or 'evil spirit'. I found ma. I had an idea and combined it with with the word for wind, kaze, to form a word that meant 'an ill-favoured wind' or 'the storm sent by the devil'. It was an actual word. It was my first successful conjugation of the language and my first portmanteau in any language.

I looked it up because I thought it would be a cool word. When I found out that it was a real word, I realized that it was also the direct opposite of kamikaze. Kamikaze means 'a divine wind' or 'the storm sent by god'. It is commonly associated with suicide and nationalism due to being the nickname given to suicide bombers in the Japanese air forces.

If kamikaze represents the deity, self-sacrifice, and loyalty, then makaze represents the accuser, self-fulfillment and independence.

It means a lot to me because I have come to overthrow and become a devil's advocate to each of these principles. I have my qualms with deities, self-sacrifice and loyalty, and I value the accuser, self-fulfillment and independence. On a more grounded, less symbolic note, I also have problems with suicide and nationalism as specific types of self-sacrifice and loyalty.

Loyalty in particular is one of the things I have a lot of qualms with.

If you want to discuss these further, feel free to PM me, start a thread or ask other questions pertaining to them. Let me know if this isn't enough.

Edited by Makaze

I came out to have a good time and honestly I feel so amused at how attacked everyone feels right now.

i take offense that you feel the need to say 'everyone,' when in fact you know this concerns only about 3 people

Ignoring the shit going on above me.

IMO "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."-Albert Einstein

IMO "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."-Albert Einstein

as a serious post:

patriotism and nationalism are related, and similar, but are not synonyms.

'patriots' are usually people like me--who love their country and feel fortunate to live in it

'nationalists' are usually people who feel that their nation is better than another's or everyone else's

'jingoists' are more closely related to nationalists, but are very much so war hawks. i think an ample example, if my memory isn't mistaken, would be the spanish-american war in 1898.

That's nice. It's not the same thing as patriotism.

effort post above apparently

Edited by Parrhesia

as a serious post:

patriotism and nationalism are related, and similar, but are not synonyms.

'patriots' are usually people like me--who love their country and feel fortunate to live in it

'nationalists' are usually people who feel that their nation is better than another's or everyone else's

'jingoists' are more closely related to nationalists, but are very much so war hawks. i think an ample example, if my memory isn't mistaken, would be the spanish-american war in 1898.

Going by those definitions the answer is still no, as I don't particularly love my country.

This is really frustrating. Do you seriously think my initial answer to the question was made expecting these kinds of replies?

Maybe not, but your other replies seem to be provoking these kinds of reactions. I think you dont initially post to shit disturb but when you get a reply from someone like Parrhesia or Integ, you go in Edgy Makaze Mode and try to goad them.

i came out to have a good time and i'm honestly feeling so attacked right now

I came out to have a good time and honestly I feel so amused at how attacked everyone feels right now.

I love you two.