QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

no....i have no interest in driving. if i need to go anywhere i'd get public transport, or i would walk.

Whether or not this is possible depends a lot on where you live tbf

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been driving standard cars since i was 15, got my license at 16. i cant think of a good reason anyone would put it off (minus the fees)

this precisely but more hesitant because the fees do madly suck

Yes i would like to learn how to drive, and then drive a car whenever i want when im old enough ^_^. But im not interested in learning how to drive manual, cos thats just a waste of time for me since im not really an enthusiast nor do i want to drive them super fast sports cars

no....i have no interest in driving. if i need to go anywhere i'd get public transport, or i would walk.

i cant think of a good reason anyone would put it off (minus the fees)

High insurance premiums, the ever-increasing cost of petrol.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I'm legit horrible at driving and I've let my beginners expire twice. I need to get on getting my fulls :/

also this

there is no public transportation within about ten miles of me. walking with about a three-mile radius around me gets me, uh, a gas station/convenience store, a post office, and an ice cream shop.

there is no public transportation within about ten miles of me. walking with about a three-mile radius around me gets me, uh, a gas station/convenience store, a post office, and an ice cream shop.

That's ideal if you enjoy ice cream or want to walk to a place where you can fill up that car you don't have! You can even send a letter with all your woes! I'm rather fortunate, my hometown seems to have buses everywhere, just not necessarily on time.

I don't but I definitely plan to

As for why one wouldn't

My own mother got into a car accident (.... that or maybe her family did? I mean they have more than once certainly but one time long ago...) and now she is too afraid to drive, she just walks around or takes public transport now.

My older brother put off driving for quite a while, I think maybe because he was sort of afraid of it since he still didn't quite get the hang of it? I wonder if the fear is hereditary or something...

Idk how well I drive yet, either I could be a natural like my dad or not, like my mom. My dad's truck is a little difficult to control though~ So I'll have to try to overcome that once I do start learning =o (The reason I haven't yet is because wee no job and wee poor family couldn't help me out on getting one~)

Edited by Freohr Datia

That's ideal if you enjoy ice cream or want to walk to a place where you can fill up that car you don't have! You can even send a letter with all your woes! I'm rather fortunate, my hometown seems to have buses everywhere, just not necessarily on time.

did i mention two-scoop tuesday? you get two scoops for the price of one

Yep. My dad was (is?) a bit of a speed demon, so I probably got a good bit of encouragement to get a license just so we could have something to share.

Also, fuck public transport in my area. Not because it's unavailable, but because of the drivers. Yeah, I know it's probably a lot to ask of the poor dudes to never mess up in a job where they have to deal with so many people every day and drive a literal box around all the time, but I can only miss a bus I was at some point standing parallel to and watched drive away so many times before some primal part of me begins throwing a hissy fit that never truly ends

Edited by Rehab

yeah. it takes me about 40 mins to walk to work. and anything else i could just get the public bus or train. i wouldn't need a car in my life right now. it'd be a waste of money

Yes. I live 30 minutes drive from where I went to highschool, and go to university 2 hours away. Its nice to have the freedom to travel between home and school when I need to. When I am at school I hardly ever drive, though. Just to get to curling practice.

there's two 55mph roads between my house and my school (10 min drive, like hell am i walking that)

public transportation is near nonexistent here

kinda have to

Edited by Thor Odinson

Walk 3 miles and get ice cream, walk 3 miles back, burn all the calories you ate. :D

did i mention two-scoop tuesday? you get two scoops for the price of one

OK maybe not.

It's not such a big deal. I got mine at 20. And you get used to driving, really. Depends on what car you're driving around, but it's a real blast to sit in something that has a lot of control and power. I'm a bit of a speed demon, specifically at turns, so I take corners faster than I should.

that's what everyone says, and i believe them (i actually got my permit once when i was 18 but went nowhere with it), but i have anxiety issues when driving. let's hope i can work them out.

Yes i would like to learn how to drive, and then drive a car whenever i want when im old enough ^_^. But im not interested in learning how to drive manual, cos thats just a waste of time for me since im not really an enthusiast nor do i want to drive them super fast sports cars

Manual cars are markedly cheaper.

I could probably live the rest of my life without needing to drive since everything I need is within walking distance or <1 hr ride on public transportation at worst.

But I'd like to learn how to drive for if I ever end up moving somewhere else w/o those kinds of conveniences.

that's what everyone says, and i believe them (i actually got my permit once when i was 18 but went nowhere with it), but i have anxiety issues when driving. let's hope i can work them out.

Once you learn the streets like the back of your hand and realize that everyone on the road are slackjawed mouthbreathers, it gets much easier. Forty miles an hour starts to feel like twenty, and those people who are driving exactly the speed limit are old grandmas.

Everyone has their thing. I panic when I have to do parallel parking since I live in San Diego.

Don't really need it, don't really want to learn.

Almost everything here is walking distance and there's the bus if I feel like it.

Plus I lost a good 10 kg from walking to work since last year on top of eating a bit healthier.

Edited by Woodshooter

My area looks like Ymir's arm and is laid out even worse. Public Transportation in this area is like trying to swim in molasses with angry bees chasing you. Its slow and painful. Walking and biking are a punchline. It be them thar hills and everything is spread out.

Drive, one must. Otherwise, thou art royally screwed in the captain's quarters. The double whammy? You wanna know the double whammy? I cant even own a hybrid or electric vehicle cuz THEY DONT MAKE THOSE WITH 4X4! Seriously, wtf is wrong with you, car manufacturers! agggghhhhhh!

*smolders into a pile of rage*

But i do love my Jeep. Its old, crotchety, and quite possibly sentient. Still runs better than half the cars on the road. It belonged to my grandfather, so most of my childhood was spent in that thing. Now its mine...The idea of actually getting another car is one im not sure i could cope with. My Jeepus and i...we are one....