QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

Eragon. Holy shitballs, Eragon.

As a book series, they were actually pretty solid, if pure teen schlock (I read them when I was, like, 14 or something gimme a break).

The movie was just... piss.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I didn't like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Mostly the shoehorned backstory for Willy Wonka (HE WAS A STRICT DENTIST'S SON AND THAT IS HOW HE CAME TO LOVE SWEETS SO MUCH oh come on give me a break), but there are other things too that are probably nitpicks more than anything.

Edited by Nightmare

I'm glad I couldn't think of any answers. I had faith I'd just end up agreeing with Nightmarre anyway, and I was right.

you're embarrassing me in front of my friends

again

when I read them

I was, like, 14

I bet if I re-read them now they'll suck

christopher paolini was an inspiration for me when i was like twelve, purely because he was also about twelve

apparently i was really fucking desperate for rolemodels back then

Weeee I think I was 12 when I first read Eragon as well~

But if I went back and read them I bet I'd still enjoy them ^o^

(I'm sorry neckite your friends will probably hate you now~)

I stopped reading Eragon when it was clear that the main character was a Gary Stu of the highest order. The whole "half-elf" thing was really...urf.

The movie adaptation of Darren Shan was really off, now that I think about it. The series took place in Ireland, not America. Although nobody probably knows what I'm talking about.

*puts on hipster glasses*

The Golden Compass.

Yeah. I really would've liked to see The Subtle Knife on screen. It's a shame that film ruined the possibility of later adaptions. :(

Avatar the last air bender to the movie version..

there is so-ka, Ahng. Terrible acting and they nerfed firebending

the visuals were nice though

Alex Rider: Operation Stormbreaker

It followed pretty closely to the novel for an adaptation, but it was a meh movie. I really would have wanted to see the sequels though.

I think the only book-to-film I even remember watching is the Harry Potter series, and while I have many qualms about the way the films handled things they're hardly the worst B2F out there.

But I'll still complain about how they changed characterization for the worse especially since the bits I'm complaining about did not have to be changed for it was not interfering with the films' length.

I haven't watched many Book-to-films, and most of them have been good. However, one immediately comes to mind: The Hobbit. Don't get me wrong, as a standalone film, the Hobbit would've been fine. However, so many aspects of the book were changed. Like, why the hell is Legolas there? And Tauriel? I believe that the biggest problem was that they attempted to squeeze a trilogy out of a ~300 page book, which led to massive amounts of filler.

Percy Jackson was pretty bad too.

Edited by Gaia

i liked i am legend, the film

I did too actually

also fuck why'd you guys have to remind me about The Golden Compass' movie

shit depressed me so much I purged it from my mind

I Am Legend is a good film but the fact that it totally missed the point of the books makes it a bad book-to-film adaptation.

Tauriel?

While I agree with you on the filler, I think it's a good idea to maybe add One (1) woman with a talking role to the film. One (1). The original text of the Hobbit does not really manage to do this.

(I've not actually seen any of the Hobbit films but I am pretty confused on how they're drawing three films from like 200 pages)