QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question 412. What sort of tone do you prefer in endings to fiction?

like, happilies-ever-after, optimistic, cynical, bittersweet, apocalypses

tbh endings that are bittersweet are very important to me. The sweet part in particular; I feel kind of cheated when things end worse than they started. There has to be something accomplished.

Honestly I think I like all kinds of endings, but I probably do prefer downers of various kinds a little bit more.

EDIT - Endings emphasizing salvific or sacrifice focused outcomes are probably my favorites.

Edited by Severlan

Bittersweet endings as a preference for me, I normally don't mind any.

I like those endings that can make you see either the story or the villian(s) from a different perspective, those morality endings, and the endings where you have to sacrifice a lot or generally lose a lot to get that far.

I also like those Bolivian Army endings.

I'll take almost anything as long as it's not a "perfect ending" where literally every problem is 100% fixed. If the ending is too clean it just doesn't stay with me for as long. It's good to have something that lingers.

idk, I'd say the story in itself is more important than the ending.

I think I prefer happy endings, as long as there's still some conflict, without everything being perfectly happy in an unrealistic way.

Edited by Google (1)

I like happy endings, especially if it's a surprisingly happy ending or the characters have been through enough shit to deserve one, it feels nice ya know?

I don't really have a disliked ending, at least with tone, I'll accept any ending as long as it isn't rushed or a Deus Ex Machina.

Pretty much what necktie and SeverIan said. I tend to like all sorts, so long as it's done well. I'd just like it to have enough of an impact.

EDIT: You know, I think I particularly like an ending where the heroes did great deeds, but are never recognised or ultimately forgotten.

Edited by Nightmare

the tone of the ending has to fit the tone of the rest of the novel work of fiction imo. otherwise im kinda put off

that being said I have a preference for HAPPY

but it should fit the rest of the work

not necessarily "grim stories deserve grim endings" but it has to make sense, which really isn't the right way of describing it

it just has to fit

Pretty much what necktie and SeverIan said. I tend to like all sorts, so long as it's done well. I'd just like it to have enough of an impact.

Indeed. My favorite endings are the ones where you went through the character's struggles and they earn their happy ending.

I also really enjoy the endings to prequel games where you know for a fact you can't stop the ending from happening and certain other things from happening, but they happen anyway. Like Metal Gear Solid 3...

I also really enjoy the endings to prequel games where you know for a fact you can't stop the ending from happening and certain other things from happening, but they happen anyway. Like Metal Gear Solid 3...

I really like these too actually.

you're gonna have to explain this reference

It's an ending where the protagonist(s) are up against seemingly impossible odds, or some other unfavorable circumstance.

My personal favorite examples of this are the endings to Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 and for those who know, Phantasy Star 2.