Why is Thracia 776 liked so much?

Chiki

I really like capture and fatigue. Taking enemy weapons is awesome. I didn't find the game hard either.

Dismounting was another cool thing. I wish they would bring it back.

Overall I just had a fun time with FE5

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only beef with recruiting Xavier is the shoddy AI the NPCs and Lenster knights have to navigate with. It's very jarring to see the knights attack their comrades the moment they turn, let alone Xavier himself shoot at the civilians.

It's liked so much because other people played it and enjoyed it? Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean that other people can't.

Who said I didn't like it? It's one of my favorites despite major flaws.

I agree that built-in bonuses are preferable to the C-B-A kind.

I don't. I'd rather my bonuses come with being good at the game rather than just being handed to me. They aren't handled well in the GBA series but Radiant Dawn and Awakening do them well.

I didn't like Thracia much myself. I found it mostly an exercise in frustration due to things like fatigue and whatever was up with shops (don't really remember what it was, but I remember it being annoying). The clunky translation didn't help and capture, while a neat mechanic in itself, felt too pushed on the player, and wasn't neat enough to cover for it.

I don't. I'd rather my bonuses come with being good at the game rather than just being handed to me. They aren't handled well in the GBA series but Radiant Dawn and Awakening do them well.

I don't see how either of those come with being good at the game...You could be god awful at both and still get supports easily enough.

I don't see how either of those come with being good at the game...You could be god awful at both and still get supports easily enough.

Maybe not necessarily being "good" at the game, but actually playing the game and getting them through gameplay. Being good at the game helps.

Capturing. Simple as that for me. I turned chapter 19 into an offensive mission by maxing out Lifis's build and having him steal master lances for Conomore to use while Miranda spammed Meteor on everything. It's things like that is why this is my favorite fire emblem.

I never could get this game to go smoothly. It just was a mess. Maybe it was the hilariously bad patch i had but i couldnt fucking understand what i was supposed to do half the time. It put me off pretty bad after initially trying to play this game. Maybe someday i'll give it another whirl cuz better patches have happened.

I don't recall there being a better fully translated patch available, or heck, a fully translated patch being available at all.

I don't recall there being a better fully translated patch available, or heck, a fully translated patch being available at all.

Well maybe not but there has to be a better one than the one from 2005 or some shit.

There's the fully translated story available.

As for the menus it's just trial and error after recognizing a few symbols.

I barely have any knowledge of Japanese and can play this game with no issues without the patch.

Edited by Woodshooter

I don't think Thracia was necessarily hard so much as it had some moments that sort of made you go "well alright that's bullshit" and you have to restart and don't fall for it again, and while I don't like that, it had some interesting mechanics otherwise. I wouldn't say it's a fantastic game and its balance is pretty damn terrible but it has some redeeming features. Even though some stuff sucks (Xavier) and some stuff is good in theory questionable in execution (fatigue), it's a decent FE game. I like it better than some of the others and less than some of the others.

Also I didn't play it translated either and pretty much don't know any Japanese, but it's still not /that/ hard to play, and if you're in it for the story just look it up somewhere else.

Lances are typically worse than axes in almost everything and the weapon triangle is so minimal it might as well not exist. Besides, try wielding a three meter long pole at home and see how that goes.

That's not an excuse. If anything, that's another flaw with the game.

i found fire emblem to be rather stale before trying to play FE5 seriously, and the difficulty also lacking or simply overly frustrating in other FE games at the time. there's a certain amount of charm to the unique mechanical innovations *, the diverse chapter objectives **, and the occasional really unfair scenario ***.

* dismounting being the big one here. most hate dismounting because they like being able to use lances and axes; i love dismounting because it brings infantry into the spotlight. (why would you use lances or axes in FE5 when swords are better?)

** some may point out that FE7 also has diverse chapter objectives, yet i dislike the game. others may point out that i enjoy FE6 and FE12 even though they are monotonous in terms of objective. FE7's difficulty is terrible and its objectives often trivial. FE6 and FE12 are challenging (a good thing, in my eyes) for precisely the reason that every map is seize.

*** FE5 gives the player plenty of tools to leverage in all sorts of strange situations.

the only quality that i would fault FE5 for is not giving the player enough information to do certain things without a ton of trial and error. xavier obviously being one of them, but there are other things that aren't immediately obvious without either a guide or extra effort (example being figuring out which child to return to which house in chapter 3). but, say you have a game, and you also have the exact same game without the polished script. how much worse is the latter than the former? it might matter a lot to some people, but it really wasn't a big deal to me.

(it's interesting to me that whenever someone starts a "i'm gonna play thracia blind" topic, inevitably a bunch of users chime in with spoilers like "watch out for manster" or "make sure everyone escapes before leif." even more amusing is that much of it turns out to be really bad advice. it's really a testament to how ambitiously experimental FE5 was in terms of gameplay, which is partially why i'm so fond of it.)

EDIT: seriously, though. what's wrong with units dismounting to swords? i am reminded of the old days of FE discussion when it was assumed that there was intrinsic value in weapon type diversity. there is no such thing. no FE team inherently needs to have a balance of sword, lance, axe, bow, and magic users. it confounds me to think that there are players who would refuse to play this game due to this simple detail.

plus it makes fred and dean all the more badass when they dismount to A swords.

Edited by dondon151

I just played it patchless and read the story somewhere else

I can navigate menus fine in japanese since most of it is in kanji anyway

and then I can mash b/start

Edited by Thor Odinson

My only beef with recruiting Xavier is the shoddy AI the NPCs and Lenster knights have to navigate with. It's very jarring to see the knights attack their comrades the moment they turn, let alone Xavier himself shoot at the civilians.

IIRC xavier does not attack civillians... I think his knights and every lenster knight does though

I like thracia but i usually ragequit at chapter 17 because I forgot to talk to misha before actually capturing her haha.

Edited by LeaderR Elliot

Apparently ironically, I like it because I find it to be the only game in the series that (besides when I first played the series) challenged me without frustrating me. I find most "difficulty" in FE games to basically be a test of patience. FE5 has you juggling things and you need to figure out how to balance them. Usually I just feel like I'm climbing up a bigger mountain than on Normal mode or H3 or Maniac or whatever.

IIRC xavier does not attack civillians... I think his knights and every lenster knight does though

No, I've seen it happen, one of the NPCs walked in range of his Killer Bow and he moved and shot it. She already recruited her knight (maybe this affects AI?) but it still took me by surprise.

I loved the capture system of this game. That really made it for me. Plus the broken Personal weapons were pretty cool. Plus this game imo had the best balanced difficulty. It kept you on your toes and forced you to think. Personally I found the story forgettable but that's just me.

The funny thing about FE5 is that it's without a doubt the hardest to play blind, but probably the easiest to break once you realize how broken staff users are (excluding FE13 with grinding).

I got to the chapter where you get Xavier and haven't finished it(I just lost interest). I liked the expanded story to FE4 but the game itself has just been ok. Moreover, it's not as hard as people make it. It's a Fire Emblem game... not much more to say imo.

Edited by Guy Starwind

FE4 leadership stars would've worked pretty nicely in smaller sized maps since they were extremely potent, but had an AoE similar to Charisma.

That's right since in Thracia you must sometimes stand in a "fortress" and wait some turns. However FE5 LS seems for me more legit.

Edited by Nicolas