Mario Kart 8

kingddd

I never said it was a new feature. I'm just asking why tricks were changed from MKWii.

They were changed because Mario Kart 8's engine was based off of Mario Kart 7. Time Trial records show that longer trick animations slowed you down more than not doing trick animations in the Wii version. So they went for the Mario Kart 7 design of tricks of shortening it.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, so? What's the problem with them slowing you down a little bit? They still looked a lot cooler with how you could do flips and spins with the vehicles.

Yeah, so? What's the problem with them slowing you down a little bit? They still looked a lot cooler with how you could do flips and spins with the vehicles.

because it didn't benefit the player that was racing. They were under the illusion that the tricks giving you the boost would help you. Time trial records show that wasn't the case. Tricks were meant to speed you up in the race and get to the finish line faster. If the tricks were design to make you slow down a bit, that's a failed game design feature.

I have about 20 stamps left since I didn't know you get stamps by using each character once and winning in GP. Shouldn't of done that since I just kept using Mario the entire time.

I almost completely forgot about unlocking stamps. I unlocked all the Grand Prix character based ones so early (I even told my younger siblings that until all the character stamps have been obtained, they should stick with characters whose stamps haven't been gotten for Grand Prix) that I forgot about stamp collecting contributing towards a 100% file. My focus now is on getting 10,000 coins for the Gold Glider, though I still have yet to reach that. I've reached 3600 as my online score, and based on Mario Kart Wii and 7, it might be possible to get the Gold Glider with a high enough online score. I mean, you could unlock Toadette and Birdo in Mario Kart Wii with a high online score and The Gold Kart in Mario Kart 7 could be unlocked with 10,000 VR as kingddd said. Plus, seeing how the Gold Wheels can be unlocked in Mario Kart 8 with 15,000 coins instead of defeating all 32 staff ghosts, the Gold Glider might have an alternate unlock method as well. I'm suspecting that the Gold Kart in Mario Kart 8 can be unlocked by getting 20,000 coins, though that'd be a pain to test out. I mean, both Mario Kart 7 and 8 allow for Gold parts to be unlocked at the 10,000 and 15,000 coin marks, and since Mario Kart 7 has the Gold Kart unlocked at the 20,000 coin mark, I should think that Mario Kart 8 would follow that same rule as well.

On a side note, I've been using quite a lot of Bowser (I always wanted to main him in Mario Kart games, but I always found it hard, especially in the earlier Mario Kart games) and Gold Kart/Cyber Slick/Airplane Glider lately. I'm starting to favour heavier vehicles due to people online really taking advantage of knocking racers off the track with heavier characters/kart setups (especially with all the Metal Marios and Pink Gold Peaches I see online). Also, I'm finding that high top speed setups really help in terms of getting a huge lead from the pack and not being vulnerable to all the items they throw at you. Well, barring red shells (which can be easily shielded against with a shell/banana if there's only one red shell) and blue shells (which you can't do much about unless you have a Super Horn, and even then the huge lead from having high top speed helps prevent the pack from catching up sometimes). I'll admit though, having low acceleration makes my top speed and weight setup backfire every now and then in online matches.

Hey Ana, are you feeling better about the idea of participating in the SF Mario Kart 8 tournaments? (1:30 PM PST Saturday and Sunday) There's been very few people participating in them lately (last Saturday there was literally no one there at the time I listed above) and I'm interested in seeing how much you've improved.

Actually, it'd be nice to see more participation in the SF Mario Kart 8 tournaments in general. The tournament participation has died down a lot lately.

Hey Ana, are you feeling better about the idea of participating in the SF Mario Kart 8 tournaments? (1:30 PM PST Saturday and Sunday) There's been very few people participating in them lately (last Saturday there was literally no one there at the time I listed above) and I'm interested in seeing how much you've improved.

Actually, I did check the tournament, but after sitting there for 10 minutes and seeing that nobody was joining, I left.

Oh yeah, actually, I am feeling better about joining. I can drift with either a bike or a cart now, though I'm more used to doing it with bikes since I use those the most, and I do better in 150cc even though my luck still sucks with all the items and crap I get slammed with. I mean, in this one race I was just about to WIN, I got hit with like five shells in a row, stopping me completely and knocking me all the way to ninth place. >_>

Oh yeah, actually, I am feeling better about joining. I can drift with either a bike or a cart now, though I'm more used to doing it with bikes since I use those the most, and I do better in 150cc even though my luck still sucks with all the items and crap I get slammed with. I mean, in this one race I was just about to WIN, I got hit with like five shells in a row, stopping me completely and knocking me all the way to ninth place. >_>

Mario Kart in a nutshell.

http://heartofthemaid.tumblr.com/post/88126039812/yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah-mario-kart-8-online-ladies-and

Yep, that's exactly what happened to me, though minus the blue shell and replace it with a red or green shell (can't remember what color it was, I just know it wasn't the blue one). xP

I stopped by the tournament for ~15 minutes one time, but I'll make a habit of showing up regularly now.

--

Also, it's possible to dodge a blue shell if you use a mushroom, but you have to time it pretty precisely (I've seen others do it, but never done it myself).

I guess I can also join the Tournament, especially since I kinda completly ignored the Tournamentfunction until now. Sounds quite funny to me.

Also, has someone unlocked that stupid Gold Glider? I really would like to know if it's one of the Gliders that boost your weight or the Acceleration (I kinda hope it's one of the latter). I've already reached about 7400 VR, got every Cup on 3 Stars, even the 50 and 100cc ones without transferring it over from 150cc, beat every Time Trial multiple times and played a lot with my sister offline and still haven't unlocked that stupid thing. I hate that you can't even see how many Coins you already have... >.<

Awww that sucks... so I guess even if I unlock it, I won't use it at all... I wish they kinda made it at least a bit better to reward the Player for collecting Coins like crazy.

Anyway, thanks for the info.^^

I finally unlocked the Gold Glider!!

I was doing two player online with my brother just now when I got it after dropping out of the current group we were in. My online rank was 3699 at the time. Strangely enough, it wouldn't let us unlock it on the online kart part select, but it did for the offline kart part select.

I guess having lots of younger siblings to play Mario Kart 8 with and reach the 10,000 coin mark with really pays off. =D

Is it just me sucking at this game from only having it for a week, or are heavyweights unfairly better than lightweights? In MK7, I usually have no problem at all in both online and offline play leaving all opposition in the dust, but in this one, it's always a challenge to pull far ahead in 2/3rds the racetracks. I have also played online for a bit, and noticed the heavy usage of heavyweights, which both have me concerned for my preference to lightweights, and got me inspired to get good enough to beat them all with Lakitu.

I mean no doubt a lot of people prefer heavyweights in MK7 too, I've had my races consisting completely out of Metal Marios and me, but at the same time, it was still easier for me to catch up, compared to this game. It might also be I have over 100 hours on MK7, and less than ten hours on MK8.

EDIT: In a way, it's kind of like F-Zero, I freaking LOVE Dai Goro in GX and the Golden Fox in the SNES one, but because of how the game works out, I have to either be really good at the game to use them, or use other characters to win, which is kind of dumb if you ask me.

Edited by Maji

Yeah, heavyweights are a lot easier to use in Mario Kart 8 compared to past games. I'm even finding characters like Bowser and Morton quite easy to use and race with, even with a full top speed setup. I have to admit, I like how heavyweights are much easier to use this time around in Grand Prix/online races since they were so unfeasible to use in most Mario Kart games.

I'll admit though, it sucks for lightweight users. I actually told myself I wouldn't use anyone in the lightweight group online after experiencing constant knocking off from the road into dirt/walls/bottomless pits in online races as Toadette with the Gold Kart and Wheels.

Also, I run into a lot of Metal Mario users online. as well as Pink Gold Peach. It's really annoying how people abuse those two just because they have a smaller frame while keeping all the advantages that heavyweights have. Good thing I haven't submitted my Club Nintendo post play survey yet, since I can suggest to Nintendo to either remove the Metal characters (since they're hated a lot anyways and only used commonly online for cheapness purposes) or make their karts as big as other heavyweights so people won't abuse them online.

The sprint to the first row of items in MK8 can be pretty brutal with all those heavies. When they bump into me, I offer as much resistance as the smash bros sandbag, even with about 3/6 weight. At least they've got no acceleration, so Yoshi will have his revenge..

Also, I just got the mustard yellow golden glider. They probably should've made it more golden and less black IMO. To the bench it goes. /brag over

Edited by BuddyBoy