Mario Kart 8

kingddd

Lets just say it was a cesspool. The matches were nothing but a bunch of laggy zigzagging players in the egg or drybone tank cars. The only way to catch up is with a very and I do mean very lucky red shell. Although there was snaking in the older Mario Karts, they weren't as effective as it was in Mario Kart DS.

I was really happy about the changes in Mario Kart Wii's drift system even though it was my 2nd least favourite Mario Karts. Mario Kart 64 being the worst one after playing again 10 years later.

This is really accurate. I wanted to play online but I never won ever because of those guys. Anyway, I've tried fire hopping, it doesn't seem to make too big of a difference to me, so I just don't bother.

Also, I have no motivation to play any more grand prix. I just two starred the lightning cup 150, and I don't really want to play any of the others. I already have all the other parts, and I don't like the gold parts (I have the wheels and I think close to the glider however). Is the gold car even worth the effort? I know showing off online and stuff, but I liked having a star by my name. It let me show off way better. Besides, the circuit special/sports coupe are way cooler looking than the gold car.

Edited by Graham

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care about firehopping at all, since you can't use it on inward-drifting Bikes and I always use them. I tried it a few times when playing offline with my sister when using a kart but I wasn't really good at it... I guess I won't ever practicing it since you don't really need it unless you go after Time Trial Worldrecords.

I see it being used online sometimes, but usually the people using it just get offroad or getting bumped by another Player and are loosing more time than they're saving. I guess you have to practice it a lot to get it viable at all.

Got the gold kart at last! :D

Still couldn't get any better than 4th place in Rainbow Road due to stupid shit, but a one-star rank was obtainable because I had gotten first in the previous three races. So I can't really complain. xP

I finally played online today, but not in th Serenes Forest thingy.

And whoever said that people abuse Pink Gold Peach and Metal Mario, you are right. It's tough being Daisy, and pushed off simply because their heavy, but have a smaller frame.

In amount Wario, Gold Peach and I were head to head, but she bumped me, and I fell off.

But my set up was good, so I got 1st for the first 5 matches, and then better people came and beat me, but I still got 3rd and 4th place.

I use the Jet Bike, Slick Tires, and Cloud Glider.

What I don't get is, what's the difference between Metal Mario/Pink Gold Peach and the actual heavyweights? I find myself being shoved around just as easily by characters like Rosalina, Wario, Bowser, the heavy Koopalings, etc. Do Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach tend to be faster or something?

Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach are simply heavyweights with the body of mediums. It's like buffed Marios and Peaches, and as heavies are the better way, then people abuse them with their high speed and weight.

I still don't understand. You people need to actually EXPLAIN things.

Say I threw a green shell at Lakitu, whose body is like: l l.

Say I threw one at Wario, whose body is like: l l.

Obviously, the shell will have a much easier time hitting Wario than Lakitu.

Shells are enormous in this game.

O0EGyTf.png

They've become that big in Mario Kart 8? That would explain a lot, then...

I'm curious, what are your guys' views on fire hopping?

It's definitely not as bad/overpowered as bike wheelies or DS snaking, and I have literally never seen it used by others in an online race (and I'm up to the 5700's right now), so I'd say it's hardly a problem as of now.

Even if it was common, it's something that all vehicles can do and take advantage of rather well (though the high top speed/mini-turbo setups would be able to utilize it a lot better, though it's not like it's useless/unusable with the wrong setup like snaking/wheelies are), so I'd say it's not as bad as some of the other Mario Kart exploits in past games.

I have tried doing it myself, but I must be doing it wrong since it feels like the jumps slow me down more than help me retain boost speed. I'm guessing it's not as simple as just jumping repeatedly after a boost, huh?

Maji: Thank you, that's all I needed to know.

Yeah, Metal characters having all the heavyweight advantages without being a bigger target is quite cheap, especially when so many people abuse that property online...

I've actually just sent my Club Nintendo Post Play survey today telling Nintendo about how online is packed with Metal characters not because people actually like the characters (as seen by all the negativity from Metal Mario's return and the introduction of Pink Gold Peach), but because they just want to abuse the "heavyweight advantages but smaller target" property metal characters have. I'm kind of doubtful that they'll remove the Metal characters (even if it'd please a majority of the Mario Kart fanbase), but I at least hope that they give the Metal characters large karts so people will stop abusing their "heavyweight but small target" property (and if Rosalina can be heavyweight and in a large kart while being as big as Peach, I don't see why Metal Mario or Pink Gold Peach in a large kart would be too weird). Come to think of it, I really should've suggested giving Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach large karts in my Club Nintendo survey...

I've actually just sent my Club Nintendo Post Play survey today telling Nintendo about how online is packed with Metal characters not because people actually like the characters (as seen by all the negativity from Metal Mario's return and the introduction of Pink Gold Peach), but because they just want to abuse the "heavyweight advantages but smaller target" property metal characters have. I'm kind of doubtful that they'll remove the Metal characters (even if it'd please a majority of the Mario Kart fanbase), but I at least hope that they give the Metal characters large karts so people will stop abusing their "heavyweight but small target" property (and if Rosalina can be heavyweight and in a large kart while being as big as Peach, I don't see why Metal Mario or Pink Gold Peach in a large kart would be too weird). Come to think of it, I really should've suggested giving Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach large karts in my Club Nintendo survey...

I wouldn't mind adjusting their karts, but isn't Rosalina bigger than Peach?

So what are your guys' online scores right now? I'm at 5815 if I recall correctly.

Also, I know for a fact that 9999 is the max score, since I faced a person with a 9999 score yesterday, he got first place, yet his score stayed the same despite most people in that race being in the 8000's and 9000's.

I wouldn't mind adjusting their karts, but isn't Rosalina bigger than Peach?

Come to think of it, it would be possible for them to have a Mario Kart 8 patch/update that would make the metal characters use large karts instead of medium sized karts, though admittingly it doesn't need to be patched as urgently as Mario Kart 7's "shortcuts" which involved jumping off the track and Lakitu bringing you a lot farther into the track than he should (which a good chunk of people abused online and people chose those tracks all the time so they could exploit that).

As for Rosalina being bigger than Peach, some games portray them as the same size while others have Rosalina taller than Peach, so it depends on the game.

Edited by Randoman

Come to think of it, it would be possible for them to have a Mario Kart 8 patch/update that would make the metal characters use large karts instead of medium sized karts, though admittingly it doesn't need to be patched as urgently as Mario Kart 7's "shortcuts" which involved jumping off the track and Lakitu bringing you a lot farther into the track than he should (which a good chunk of people abused online and people chose those tracks all the time so they could exploit that).

As for Rosalina being bigger than Peach, some games portray them as the same size while others have Rosalina taller than Peach, so it depends on the game.

Patching is possible but making them to use large karts would require a significant amount of development time with reanimation and maybe remodel the characters and constant hitbox testing to make them fit the larger karts proper which I suspect they would not want to do at this point. These things take a significantly long process and usually post game developments have a very small and I do mean very tiny team. Which is why most post-game development contents are usually subtle changes and nothing over-dramatic changes like changing models unless it's a really big bug. So I don't see that happening any time soon since it's not worth investing it.

They would probably make small patches or subtle changes like stat changes, add in a coin counter.

My score is like 1140.

Ugh, i'm so bad. but I don't care. I like being bad. It makes me feel good. As long as I have Daisy, Rosalina, and Toadette, I'm good.

I wonder what Zelda and Zero Suit would look like in Mario Kart 8...