Pokemon Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire Thread - The Game's out, go get it!

Book of Ereshkigal

I can't say I agree. Steadfast may raise speed when the Pokemon flinches, but you won't always go against a Pokemon that has moves that cause flinching. So you can't always ensure that the ability will be useful.

Inner Focus, you can always count on because you'll pretty much never flinch whether the opposing Pokemon can cause flinching or not.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inner Focus isn't bad. Immunity to flinching (most of the time) is nice because of moves like Crunch and especially Force Palm. F***ing Force Palm is an automatic flinch the first time it's used and it always goes first. And sometimes I find my Pokemon flinching repeatedly because of moves that can cause it.

usually i give people the benefit of the doubt when posting wrong information, but there's a point where i can do it no longer. crunch doesn't flinch; it lowers defense 20% of the time. force palm doesn't flinch; it has a 30% chance of paralysis.

when users make statements such as "pokemon will probably be in X tier," they are basing those statements on the presence of threats in each tier in the metagame. there are literally 2 pokemon in the metagame that rely on flinchhax, and most other times where inner focus can come into play are situational or luck-based to begin with.

compare this to mega medicham's ability, which always doubles its atk, or mega sharpedo's ability, which always multiplies the base power of at least one of its moves. these abilities are good because they're always useful. in the vast majority of cases in single battles, mega gallade may as well not have an ability.

What? I know there's some move that automatically causes a Pokemon to flinch the first time it's used, because I've been hit with it before and it's annoying. If it's not Force Palm, what is it?

What? I know there's some move that automatically causes a Pokemon to flinch the first time it's used, because I've been hit with it before and it's annoying. If it's not Force Palm, what is it?

Fake out

even if it doesn't get a lot of speed, it'll still have great bulk on the special side at least, so that might help it. gallade also gets leaf blade for a coverage option, though that's really niche.

Gallade only resists Rock and Fighting. Both of which are primarily physical. Strong neutral special attacks will still leave a dent.

I can't say I agree. Steadfast may raise speed when the Pokemon flinches, but you won't always go against a Pokemon that has moves that cause flinching. So you can't always ensure that the ability will be useful.

Inner Focus, you can always count on because you'll pretty much never flinch whether the opposing Pokemon can cause flinching or not.

Hm? They're both really situational: I'd argue that not flinching when your opponent uses fake-out isn't nearly as big as flinching and then getting a free speed boost out of it, though. Especially for a mon like Gallade, who currently has great attack and only okay speed.

Think of it this way: he trades the ability to beat whatever flinched him and then steamroll through the rest of the team, for the ability to beat whatever flinched him. He could still be a cool mon to use, it's just a letdown compared to what his direct counterpart got.

Edited by Alg

Gallade only resists Rock and Fighting. Both of which are primarily physical. Strong neutral special attacks will still leave a dent.

he already has base 115 special defense. it's not that much with base 68 hp, but it's definitely something. also let's play a game called "raikou dies."

252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gallade: 180-213 (64.7 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Gallade Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 316-372 (98.1 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Hm? They're both really situational: I'd argue that not flinching when your opponent uses fake-out isn't nearly as big as flinching and then getting a free speed boost out of it, though. Especially for a mon like Gallade, who currently has great attack and only okay speed.

Think of it this way: he trades the ability to beat whatever flinched him and then steamroll through the rest of the team, for the ability to beat whatever flinched him. He could still be a cool mon to use, it's just a letdown compared to what his direct counterpart got.

i'd say inner focus is better because doubles exists

Edited by Comet

My thoughts:

Mega Sharpedo is awesome. Keep up the good work designers. Mega Gallade is cool, like the cloak. However, Camerupt is just okay.

Mega Gallade reminds me of Greik for some reason.And that's what I'm naming him, too.

Gallade's my favorite pokemon and I'm not terribly optimistic about his competitive usability. Inner Focus is good and all, much better than Steadfast anyway, but it's still only meh. If he gets a good boost to speed, he'll probably be viable enough, but like was mentioned previously, his stats would probably mirror Gardevoir (who correct me if I'm wrong has 100 base speed) which isn't even enough to outspeed Garchomp without a choice scarf, there's still a larger risk with all the other faster pokemon out there, priority Shadow Sneak will not be enough to KO everything. I'm glad he kept his typing though, it isn't great defensively, but it's a fun niche very few other pokemon have. I hope he gets new egg moves in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

This feels like such a spastic off-the-wall post, apologies

Edited by Spiky

Gallade's my favorite pokemon and I'm not terribly optimistic about his competitive usability. Inner Focus is good and all, much better than Steadfast anyway, but it's still only meh. If he gets a good boost to speed, he'll probably be viable enough, but like was mentioned previously, his stats would probably mirror Gardevoir (who correct me if I'm wrong has 100 base speed) which isn't even enough to outspeed Garchomp without a choice scarf, there's still a larger risk with all the other faster pokemon out there, priority Shadow Sneak will not be enough to KO everything. I'm glad he kept his typing though, it isn't great defensively, but it's a fun niche very few other pokemon have. I hope he gets new egg moves in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

This feels like such a spastic off-the-wall post, apologies

mega gardevoir has base 100 speed

anyone who complains about 'Inner Focus is the worst thing for M-Gallade' should be slapped. sure it's disappointing, but it's not the worst. besides, if he does get good stats(particularly Speed) people would probably shut up about it.

problem is, Gallade's defenses won't suffice from M-Khan's Fake Out, and if he does get the same treatment like Gardevoir(which i hope not) he'd be slumped, which is sad because he has a neat design(M-Banette is subject of this).

anyone who complains about 'Inner Focus is the worst thing for M-Gallade' should be slapped. sure it's disappointing, but it's not the worst. besides, if he does get good stats(particularly Speed) people would probably shut up about it.

the one defining factor of every good mega evolution is its ability. the megas that got banned to ubers - kangaskhan, gengar, lucario, mawile, and blaziken - were all banned mostly because their abilities pushed them over the top. the megas that are currently OU - pinsir, heracross, medicham, and gardevoir - all have very good abilities.

so it's fair to say that a mega evolution with a bad ability is probably not going to be very good, especially if its base form wasn't that great to begin with.

inner focus is pretty good in doubles, though.

Edited by dondon151

M-Blaziken is technically a better SB Blaziken, and Medicham's defining perk is Pure Power. it's true that the abilities are what but in their cases(especially Medicham) they got improved stats overall too.

although Ability plays major role on Megas, don't forget that stats still define how good a Pokemon is. take M-Banette for example; Prankster is neat but its stats...+50 attack is a notable thing but the rest? not so much.

Edited by deer hands

Trailer with Corocoro info is up from NoA.

New stuff on the official site too.

http://www.pokemonrubysapphire.com/en-us/cool-features/special-demo-version

You need a code (like how a few other games got demos, it seems)

special_demo_EN_08.jpg

Hi Tabitha.

special_demo_EN_10.jpgspecial_demo_EN_11a.jpg

They both hate me? ;-;

Edited by L95

M-Gallade has the best mega evolution animation, any other opinions are irrelevant.

EDIT: also he seems to be mentioned to have a boost on Speed and Attack. Think he's going to be a fast sweeper?

"Its Attack and Speed stats improve, making this a Pokémon likely to excel at first-strike strategies."

Cross your fingers people.